HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Ryan Johansen going to be a problem???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2013, 04:53 PM
  #151
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
He will be rightfully judged going forward by CBJ management with this huge red flag in mind.
Verbiage aside, this seems to be something upon which most everyone agrees.

There are different takes on how big of a deal the whole Johansen "thing" is, and different methods that folks feel will be taken as a result. But nearly everyone agrees that the organization is aware of whatever the situation is, and will handle it accordingly.

Seriously, that is my big takeaway from all of this. There seems to be a consensus that this organization is capable of dealing with this is a professional and appropriate manner.

And yes, this is me trying my best to have a serious discussion on this topic.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 05-23-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:12 PM
  #152
db2011
Registered User
 
db2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I think you missed the sarcasm in the first post, but pub didn't.

I quoted you because I didn't understand your position, which others hold dearly and I've seen around here a lot. It gave me a chance to get you to clarify your position will still making my point to the group at large.
OIC. Should have said "supposed bad attitudes".

And I always prided myself on not needing the sarcasm icon... looks like I missed it 2X

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:38 PM
  #153
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
The playoffs are the forum in which a player demonstrates whether he has a real passion for the game or doesn't. Some players have it; others don't.

Sugarcoating Johansen's documented (Larsen's and JK's quotes and the elimination game benching suffice) heartless play won't change the fact that he has shown-until proven otherwise-that he lacks the passion of a winner. The AHL playoffs were the highest level of playoff hockey where Johansen has ever played. An appropriate forum for him to have demonstrated his passion for winning. He didn't. In fact he was on the far other end of the compete/passion spectrum. Pretending that this is an "end of the season disappointment" or any other lame excuse is avoiding the reality of the situation.

He will be rightfully judged going forward by CBJ management with this huge red flag in mind.
Yeah, look at these heartless losers in blue here. Based on this, they'll never win anything either.


Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:00 PM
  #154
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,364
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Verbiage aside, this seems to be something upon which most everyone agrees.

There are different takes on how big of a deal the whole Johansen "thing" is, and different methods that folks feel will be taken as a result. But nearly everyone agrees that the organization is aware of whatever the situation is, and will handle it accordingly.

Seriously, that is my big takeaway from all of this. There seems to be a consensus that this organization is capable of dealing with this is a professional and appropriate manner.

And yes, this is me trying my best to have a serious discussion on this topic.
If the 20 year old is proven to be an entiled, lazy, and heartless locker room cancer next season I'm sure the JD/JK team will boot him next season....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:38 PM
  #155
yave1964
22 and counting
 
yave1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lexington ohio
Posts: 330
vCash: 500
As a Wing fan if the CBJ tire of him, toss him our way.

The problem that I see is the older players he saw as he joined the organization were not the right ones to set as his role models. Nash requesting a trade and all the nonsense that went with that. Carter wanting to play somewhere else. Brassard getting sat down because of his failure to play defense.
Now all of these guys are fine hockey players but they were the three biggest clubhouse faces/voices when Johansen broke in, and all three at that moment in their career were poison. Johansen needs a veteran (Jack Johnson maybe?) to sit him down and get him dialed in. He has the talent, there is no doubt to be at least a solid second or at worst a solid third line forward for many years, the change in regimes will help but his peers need to get him reigned in as well. If not, he could wind up another Brassard/Voracek starring for another club down the road. This is really the first real test for the new GM. Hope it works out.
Good luck in the new division next year.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:51 PM
  #156
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
If the 20 year old is proven to be an entiled, lazy, and heartless locker room cancer next season I'm sure the JD/JK team will boot him next season....
At least the kid's not delivering pizzas (yet)

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:09 AM
  #157
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,364
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
At least the kid's not delivering pizzas (yet)
In two weeks AP and the CBJ fan base will have him destined to Gitmo!...

The guy is a kid who was pissed for being sent to Springfield knowing Umberger was going to his lake house!!! And the kid played as well or better in our late playoff run for 1/10 the cost!

They should have sent Umberger to Springfield.....

I'd be pissed too!

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:07 AM
  #158
Cyclones Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Yeah, look at these heartless losers in blue here. Based on this, they'll never win anything either.

Your comparisons here along with the previous ones have been laugh out loud ridiculous.

Keep 'em coming. Who's next? Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt, Joe Montana, The 1972 Cincinnati Reds?

You seem to be in a state of belligerent denial regarding Johansen's behavior. Further, not one of the examples you've cited has ever been associated with being a quitter.

But, thanks for the video. Good stuff.


Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 05-24-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:35 AM
  #159
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
At least the kid's not delivering pizzas (yet)
According to Matthew, he has moved on:

"Stefan Legein retires from Pizza Making."
http://www.blograkers.com/2008/12/st...za-making.html
------

Anybody know if Ryan's mom has been brought in?
Worked for Filatov.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:18 AM
  #160
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Your comparisons here along with the previous ones have been laugh out loud ridiculous.

Keep 'em coming. Who's next? Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt, Joe Montana, The 1972 Cincinnati Reds?

You seem to be in a state of belligerent denial regarding Johansen's behavior. Further, not one of the examples you've cited has ever been associated with being a quitter.

But, thanks for the video. Good stuff.
I study history, and I'll eventually find an example that resonates. If I don't, then I don't regard that as my issue.

You make an empirical statement about "Johansen's behavior", as if you have any clue. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a clue; at this point, everything is whispers and innuendo. We just saw Brad Richards made a healthy scratch last night in a playoff game for reasons related to his play, and this was by a coach who he has a long history with. Is Richards injured? Is he lazy? Is there another issue? If anyone can dig up anything and disseminate it worldwide quickly, it's the New York media.

I remember the 1990 World Series, when Tony LaRussa benched Terry Steinbach (All-Star catcher) in favor of journeyman Jamie Quirk, and Jose Canseco (in his prime) for Willie McGee. Now, that World Series was against the Reds, so I guess it'll have to be the 1990 Reds and not the 1972 version.

Belligerent denial...that's adorable. The only thing I deny is intimate knowledge of the facts regarding Johansen in the AHL playoffs, because that's honest. If only certain others would do the same.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:45 AM
  #161
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I study history, and I'll eventually find an example that resonates. If I don't, then I don't regard that as my issue.

You make an empirical statement about "Johansen's behavior", as if you have any clue. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a clue; at this point, everything is whispers and innuendo. We just saw Brad Richards made a healthy scratch last night in a playoff game for reasons related to his play, and this was by a coach who he has a long history with. Is Richards injured? Is he lazy? Is there another issue? If anyone can dig up anything and disseminate it worldwide quickly, it's the New York media.

I remember the 1990 World Series, when Tony LaRussa benched Terry Steinbach (All-Star catcher) in favor of journeyman Jamie Quirk, and Jose Canseco (in his prime) for Willie McGee. Now, that World Series was against the Reds, so I guess it'll have to be the 1990 Reds and not the 1972 version.

Belligerent denial...that's adorable. The only thing I deny is intimate knowledge of the facts regarding Johansen in the AHL playoffs, because that's honest. If only certain others would do the same.
I'm going with he has sucked lately and added nothing to the team.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:17 PM
  #162
Cyclones Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I study history, and I'll eventually find an example that resonates. If I don't, then I don't regard that as my issue.

You make an empirical statement about "Johansen's behavior", as if you have any clue. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a clue; at this point, everything is whispers and innuendo. We just saw Brad Richards made a healthy scratch last night in a playoff game for reasons related to his play, and this was by a coach who he has a long history with. Is Richards injured? Is he lazy? Is there another issue? If anyone can dig up anything and disseminate it worldwide quickly, it's the New York media.

I remember the 1990 World Series, when Tony LaRussa benched Terry Steinbach (All-Star catcher) in favor of journeyman Jamie Quirk, and Jose Canseco (in his prime) for Willie McGee. Now, that World Series was against the Reds, so I guess it'll have to be the 1990 Reds and not the 1972 version.

Belligerent denial...that's adorable. The only thing I deny is intimate knowledge of the facts regarding Johansen in the AHL playoffs, because that's honest. If only certain others would do the same.
So Johansen's healthy scratch in the final game, a direct quote of the coach saying he wasn't "all in" and Jarmo K's comments regarding him all qualify as "whispers and innuendo." If that be the case, then the quality and quantity of information you require to evaluate a situation is so massive it should probably preclude you from drawing very many conclusions. Something, which obviously isn't the case

Use as many red herrings as you want. Johansen will be under a lot of scrutiny for the foreseeable future regarding his attitude. He's earned it and his GM has publicly said as much.

Here's an example of how most players who get sent to playoff teams after the conclusion of their "other" seasons react. Perhaps you can get link sent to Mr. 5 goals.


Quote:
But even after the 29-year-old veteran blueliner's Hershey Bears got eliminated in the first round of the AHL’s Calder Cup Playoffs Playoffs by the Providence Bruins, he wouldn't give up on his quest to earn that elusive fourth championship ring.........

"For him to come down and help us and want to win a championship, that shows how much character he has," said Royals head coach Larry Courville. "He's a guy that I'll always hold dear to my heart."
http://echl.com/reading-s-wellar-one...-title-p184046


Btw, Richard's coach went to great lengths to talk about how Richards is a very good player who is having a difficult time.

Quote:
So, none of you, don't put words in my mouth -- it's not blaming Brad Richards," Tortorella continued. "I've already heard enough of that [stuff] already as far as this is concerned. He's a hell of a hockey player that's having a hell of a time. I need to make decisions for what I feel is right for the team to win tonight's game, and that's why I made that decision."
A bit different from Springfield's coach comments about #19, wouldn't you say?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads


Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 05-24-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:10 PM
  #163
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
So Johansen's healthy scratch in the final game, a direct quote of the coach saying he wasn't "all in" and Jarmo K's comments regarding him all qualify as "whispers and innuendo." If that be the case, then the quality and quantity of information you require to evaluate a situation is so massive it should probably preclude you from drawing very many conclusions. Something, which obviously isn't the case

Use as many red herrings as you want. Johansen will be under a lot of scrutiny for the foreseeable future regarding his attitude. He's earned it and his GM has publicly said as much.

Here's an example of how most players who get sent to playoff teams after the conclusion of their "other" seasons react. Perhaps you can get link sent to Mr. 5 goals.
Do not care. I seriously don't. I don't put any stock into what a GM or coach says in public, because from having spent a decent amount of time in and around locker rooms, I'm pretty familiar with how things go. Say one thing publicly, say another thing in private. Say something publicly with a purpose, whether it's true or not. I remember an MLB manager who blew up on his team in the clubhouse for what "anonymous sources inside the team" said in an article regarding hustle and work ethic, and he was the very one who had said it. (I think it was Leo Durocher).

I'll tell you what I remember. I remember the NY Rangers deciding that Sergei Zubov and Petr Nedved weren't "committed enough", and dumping them for two players 10 years older (Luc Robitaille and Ulf Samuelsson). I also remember Pittsburgh, after one year of Zubov, deciding the same and trading him to Dallas for Kevin Hatcher. Zubov played 12 years in Dallas at a very high level, just as he'd played his entire career. Nedved had his best years in Pittsburgh, and the Rangers plummeted. And after Zubov's trade to Dallas, Pittsburgh spent the next 10 years wondering if they were ever going to find anyone close to his ability.

Would you want Voracek back in Columbus? He was often accused of being a goofball and not always giving 100%, and look at what's happened since...he's become exactly the player he was projected to be, and he's not done developing yet.

To your first paragraph, yes, that's true. Your conclusion, however (that I have drawn a conclusion at all), is erroneous.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 08:39 PM
  #164
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,804
vCash: 500
Mayor, you're right about a lot in your last post, but you cannot assume all of these guys were exactly the same player at each venue. Sometimes it takes a change of venue or an epiphany to focus a guy on his career.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.