HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2013, 11:48 AM
  #51
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Why haven't the 2 best players in the world won the cup every year since 2005?
Do i really need to answer this question? you could answer that yourself, given you take few math classes, sharpen up on your logic and reasoning skills.

uiCk is online now  
Old
05-24-2013, 11:50 AM
  #52
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Why haven't the 2 best players in the world won the cup every year since 2005?
Cuz dynasties don't exist in the new NHL anymore. No more EDM and NYI from the 80's, MTL from the 70's, Leafs from the 60's, MTL from the 50's, etc.

So hard to grasp in a hard salary cap given NHL?

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 12:21 PM
  #53
optimus2861
Registered User
 
optimus2861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Tm Goalie year # games played before first cup

LA Quick 2012 249
BOS thomas 2011 321
CHI Niemi 2010 42
Pit Fleury 2009 235
Det Osgood 2008 116
ana Giguere 2007 353
Car Ward 2006 28
TB khabibulin 2004 476
NJ Brodeur 2003 91
Det Hasek 2002 581
Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

The standard deviation for a sample that small is either 176 or 208 depending on how you calculate it. Either way, that gives Price at least another 100 games before he'd be outside the first deviation.

Also, Osgood was not the goalie of record in the 1997 playoffs, so he should have another 64 games added to his total. Add that and we get AVG=255, DEV=172/202, so that's another two full seasons before Price goes beyond the first standard deviation.

optimus2861 is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 12:23 PM
  #54
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

The standard deviation for a sample that small is either 176 or 208 depending on how you calculate it. Either way, that gives Price at least another 100 games before he'd be outside the first deviation.

Also, Osgood was not the goalie of record in the 1997 playoffs, so he should have another 64 games added to his total. Add that and we get AVG=255, DEV=172/202, so that's another two full seasons before Price goes beyond the first standard deviation.
Oh snap. Love that math.


dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 12:36 PM
  #55
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

The standard deviation for a sample that small is either 176 or 208 depending on how you calculate it. Either way, that gives Price at least another 100 games before he'd be outside the first deviation.

Also, Osgood was not the goalie of record in the 1997 playoffs, so he should have another 64 games added to his total. Add that and we get AVG=255, DEV=172/202, so that's another two full seasons before Price goes beyond the first standard deviation.
6 of 10 won a cup prior to where Price is now in his career.


Here's Price math

Opt_cup_age = carey_price_current_age + c where c is an unknown constant

Like I said its like the sign in the bar "beer free tomorrow"

Agnostic is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 12:56 PM
  #56
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
6 of 10 won a cup prior to where Price is now in his career.


Here's Price math

Opt_cup_age = carey_price_current_age + c where c is an unknown constant

Like I said its like the sign in the bar "beer free tomorrow"
More like:

Opt_cup_age = avg_cup_winner_age_over_past_10_seasons = 30

So thanks for the free beer!

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 01:04 PM
  #57
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
More like:

Opt_cup_age = avg_cup_winner_age_over_past_10_seasons = 30

So thanks for the free beer!
It would appear you have ample beer in your system.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 01:13 PM
  #58
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
It would appear you have ample beer in your system.
LOL are you saying my theory for a optimum goalie age to win cup is wrong???

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 01:19 PM
  #59
MontrealFans
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
TBH I don't see the point of defending or criticizing Price until the year where the Montreal Canadians as a team are considered playoff contenders. If it happens that one of these years we go into the post season being a top contender and Price doesn't deliver then we have a problem.( Example Ottawa teams of the past with Lalime. ) Right now defence and offence gets pushed around like children that to me isn't a contender so why go in on Price.

MontrealFans is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 01:26 PM
  #60
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealFans View Post
TBH I don't see the point of defending or criticizing Price until the year where the Montreal Canadians as a team are considered playoff contenders. If it happens that one of these years we go into the post season being a top contender and Price doesn't deliver then we have a problem.( Example Ottawa teams of the past with Lalime. ) Right now defence and offence gets pushed around like children that to me isn't a contender so why go in on Price.
The basis of a good majority of my thoughts about Carey.

At least there are smart posters here...who knew?

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 01:40 PM
  #61
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealFans View Post
TBH I don't see the point of defending or criticizing Price until the year where the Montreal Canadians as a team are considered playoff contenders. If it happens that one of these years we go into the post season being a top contender and Price doesn't deliver then we have a problem.( Example Ottawa teams of the past with Lalime. ) Right now defence and offence gets pushed around like children that to me isn't a contender so why go in on Price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
The basis of a good majority of my thoughts about Carey.

At least there are smart posters here...who knew?
Montreal was in the top half of the league in defence and #4 in offense.
How good do other players have to be in Montreal for Price to decide to show up and play. Your view of the team is so out of date it's like you slept through this last season.

In any case management is now alert to Price's problems, I look for a timely resolution.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 01:41 PM
  #62
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
LOL are you saying my theory for a optimum goalie age to win cup is wrong???
I'd have to say that in all threads, on all issues, I haven't seen you yet make a statement that's correct. You certainly are OTL on this topic.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
  #63
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Montreal was in the top half of the league in defence and #4 in offense.
How good do other players have to be in Montreal for Price to decide to show up and play. Your view of the team is so out of date it's like you slept through this last season.

In any case management is now alert to Price's problems, I look for a timely resolution.
Man don't overvalue our team. We barely won the Division, barely. Were we not crap down the stretch? Did we not sort of come back down to earth a bit?

What do you mean by "top half of the league in defence"? Do you mean they allowed some of the fewest shots per game. That's really good. But if you only allow a very limited amount of scoring chances and they are all good scoring chances, is that a sign of good defence?

My view of the team is accurate. IMO, we overachieved during most of the season, came back down to earth a bit near the end when injuries were popping up. In an 82-game season, Habs finished HIGHEST 7th, maybe 6th.

I don't think Bergevin thinks that going into this season the Habs are SC Contenders. You make it seem like they are this amazing team who is ready to bring home the SC in 1-2 years. If that's the case, I expect SC Contending moves this offseason and at the deadline this year. But i won't hold my breath on that one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I'd have to say that in all threads, on all issues, I haven't seen you yet make a statement that's correct. You certainly are OTL on this topic.
I could certainly say the same thing about you...

At least I have a REALISTIC view of my team and what's in front of MY franchise goaltender.

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 02:09 PM
  #64
Pricenyuk
Montreal961
 
Pricenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 500
Any of you who are still thinking Price should have had Vezina like numbers this season, are dreaming. Head completely in the clouds. Along with not following the team very closely, if at all. Our defense was atrocious this year. If you watched the team for any stretch of time, this would be glaringly obvious. Only 2 or 3 of our regular Dmen get a pass for me, and i'm sure you can guess who those are (Hint: their last names don't start with M, G, or D). Pretty bad when you have more confidence in a 21 year old rookie with less than 15 games of NHL experience, than you do in half of your veterans who should be leading your team.

But no, Price should be stopping all of these defensive breakdowns, backdoor gifts, and breakaways that are completely caused by the Hab's inability to defend with any sense of pride that you would find in a peewee player. The countless bone head giveaways, icings, breakdowns, softness, bad positioning, and lack of size is laughable. But hey, were paying Price 6.5 mill, so that makes it his job to make sure all of that doesn't happen, right? Wrong. We're paying Price that money because he is a core part of our team, and because he will be 10x more important to us once our team is finished rebuilding ( you know, what were currently in the middle of doing right now?), than he is right now in the middle of a rebuild. He hasn't even hit his prime for god sake. That's what were paying him for. We cannot expect Price to live up to his full potential and play his best hockey right now, because our team doesn't allow him to because of the way it is currently built.

Once our defense is at a caliber in which i am not completely embarrassed to watch, will I judge Price on his performance. Just like we have to surround players (Plekanec, ect) with good wingers in order to succeed to his full potential, we have to surround Price with the tools (defensemen) in order to succeed and unlock his own full potential.

It's called a team sport for a reason. With that said, I would trade Gorges, Markov, and Diaz all before I would trade Price. Replace all three of them with defensemen having good years, and this discussion doesn't even happen.

Pricenyuk is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 02:09 PM
  #65
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
In any case management is now alert to Price's problems, I look for a timely resolution.
You're talking about the same leader of the management team that said "I have 150% faith in Carey Price". That management?

Such keyboard warriors out here...


dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 02:12 PM
  #66
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
I know what Price's playoff stats and I'm going to use the (I know some of you don't like it, but it's valid) Pittsburgh is 10x better than Montreal rule and given that, I take Price over Fleury, no matter how bad or good Price's stats are. Stats, in some cases can be deceiving. Not saying it is now, but in general it can be. I'm not excusing Price's play last year, especially down the stretch but take some things into account.

1) It was a 48-game season. Price has played at least 65 games since 2010 when he re-took the starting job from Jaro.

2) The defense was just as much to blame for our bad games over the season as Price was, including down the stretch.

As one of the biggest CP31 fanboys out there, I think we can all agree that if Price doesn't play well (like 2010-11 well, both in regular season and POs) then I think we can all agree he can't handle the pressure of playing goal in this city and taking this team to the SC anywhere down the line...

However, I doubt this will be the case (provided the team improves to a certain degree from last year and that our depth continues to build). Without depth, injuries will kill us and we won't be going anywhere near "paradise" as another poster mentioned. We won't even make it out of the dock/shore.


Your biases are showing profoundly. First you laughed at Fleury's stats in the playoffs, I rebutted with Price's, which are worse. Now you are saying price played 65 or more since 2010, although good, arguably detrimental, his numbers closing the season are traditionally worse than his beginning of the season numbers, one could argue easily that he is being overworked. Second, I'm not sure how this catapults him past Fleury who has played 65 games on average since 2008-2009.

I'm not saying Fleury has more skill or even is the better goalie. I think Price is the better goalie too, but his numbers don't really reflect that. I'm puzzled at how you LOL at one who has a Cup and similar production and catapult the other to top 5.

Your 3rd point isn't true at all. The defense was sound for the majority of the season. The goaltending at the end was Price's worse stretch in his career aside from maybe the Philly series.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 02:15 PM
  #67
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Crafty, but correct.

I guess some people don't learn but goalies take the longest out of all players to fully develop. To use an example, Tomas Plekanec was only 25 when he started actually putting up good numbers (69 in 81 in 2007-08). Now that is a little late for a forward, but given he was a 3rd round pick, i'll take it. Now with Price being a first round pick, I expect that by this year at the latest, he should be playing in his "prime" and his stats should reflect that. No more defending if last season's stats continue next year, which they hopefully won't.

Also, when you acquire a 30 year old, you pay exponentially more for him than actually drafting him, and you could get lucky and get a few years before the age of 30 of stellar hockey from him (which in most cases does happen, so I don't understand your "age 30" argument, Price is 25...). So why pay more when u could have him for less and get a bonus out of him. 2010-11 season for Price is a bonus for us because his numbers on that ****** team in front of him with all those injuries, I'm actually a little surprised at how well he did. I mean he didn't have as good numbers with Tri-City in his LAST year there. So yeah...
We are paying top dollar for a goalie who has played average at best. A goalie with similar production at 30 wouldn't get near the pay Price is getting. I see a whole like a BS in these posts yet again. We are paying a premium for Price, there are no dollars saved in this equation.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 02:22 PM
  #68
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal961 View Post
Any of you who are still thinking Price should have had Vezina like numbers this season, are dreaming. Head completely in the clouds. Along with not following the team very closely, if at all. Our defense was atrocious this year. If you watched the team for any stretch of time, this would be glaringly obvious. Only 2 or 3 of our regular Dmen get a pass for me, and i'm sure you can guess who those are (Hint: their last names don't start with M, G, or D). Pretty bad when you have more confidence in a 21 year old rookie with less than 15 games of NHL experience, than you do in half of your veterans who should be leading your team.

But no, Price should be stopping all of these defensive breakdowns, backdoor gifts, and breakaways that are completely caused by the Hab's inability to defend with any sense of pride that you would find in a peewee player. The countless bone head giveaways, icings, breakdowns, softness, bad positioning, and lack of size is laughable. But hey, were paying Price 6.5 mill, so that makes it his job to make sure all of that doesn't happen, right? Wrong. We're paying Price that money because he is a core part of our team, and because he will be 10x more important to us once our team is finished rebuilding ( you know, what were currently in the middle of doing right now?), than he is right now in the middle of a rebuild. He hasn't even hit his prime for god sake. That's what were paying him for. We cannot expect Price to live up to his full potential and play his best hockey right now, because our team doesn't allow him to because of the way it is currently built.

Once our defense is at a caliber in which i am not completely embarrassed to watch, will I judge Price on his performance. Just like we have to surround players (Plekanec, ect) with good wingers in order to succeed to his full potential, we have to surround Price with the tools (defensemen) in order to succeed and unlock his own full potential.

It's called a team sport for a reason. With that said, I would trade Gorges, Markov, and Diaz all before I would trade Price. Replace all three of them with defensemen having good years, and this discussion doesn't even happen.
I agree with everything you've said in his post, up until the bolded part. Yes Gorges had a bad year, but he's been solid in other years. Let's see what he does next year. Markov, bad defensively, amazing offensively. He's not the same Markov from 5 years ago that was an All-Star starter. But he's serviceable and will should be used more efficiently on the bottom two, even the bottom pairing. Diaz was also playing pretty well until he got injured so I'll let it go this year. Played well for le Swiss during the WHC.

IMO, you trade Diaz when his value is at the highest. In general you should trade people when their value is at the highest. But considering we have Markov, who for another 1-2 years should be okay, Subban, and coming up the pipeline Beaulieu (to replace Markov) as PMDs, Diaz IMO is the odd man out. Keep Gorges unless he regresses at the same level next year. Markov wait and see as well.

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 02:22 PM
  #69
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
You're talking about the same leader of the management team that said "I have 150% faith in Carey Price". That management?
So you're a GM vote-of-confidence virgin, eh. Don't worry it only hurts the first time.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 02:35 PM
  #70
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
So you're a GM vote-of-confidence virgin, eh. Don't worry it only hurts the first time.

Coldplay is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 02:35 PM
  #71
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Man don't overvalue our team. We barely won the Division, barely. Were we not crap down the stretch? Did we not sort of come back down to earth a bit?

What do you mean by "top half of the league in defence"? Do you mean they allowed some of the fewest shots per game. That's really good. But if you only allow a very limited amount of scoring chances and they are all good scoring chances, is that a sign of good defence?

My view of the team is accurate. IMO, we overachieved during most of the season, came back down to earth a bit near the end when injuries were popping up. In an 82-game season, Habs finished HIGHEST 7th, maybe 6th.

I don't think Bergevin thinks that going into this season the Habs are SC Contenders. You make it seem like they are this amazing team who is ready to bring home the SC in 1-2 years. If that's the case, I expect SC Contending moves this offseason and at the deadline this year. But i won't hold my breath on that one...



I could certainly say the same thing about you...

At least I have a REALISTIC view of my team and what's in front of MY franchise goaltender.
For the last time, your understanding of scoring chances and their relationship to shots is minimal at best. We do not limit teams to 5th lowest shots in the league while giving up high numbers or scoring chances, it's a bogus argument that has been refuted 15 times in the previous thread alone.

You're making **** up based on emotion. You are 100% incorrect, in fact, I haven't read a thing that you have posted that was true. You're judging based on your feelings and your homerism/blind support of a player who hasn't met expectations.

NEWS ALERT, the teams that give up the fewest shots also give up the fewest chances, crazy isn't it? This has been studied for years. Shots are the driving force behind goals, always will be. All your posts are you pulling out your magic 8 ball and predicting the future based on how you would like to see it. For instance, "Price wins a cup too in LA", "he'd be much better in Pittsburgh", and now, "if the season was 82 games we'd be 7th place", you're completely full of it. The habs shot differential/puckpossession numbers suggest the habs finished approximately where they should have, perhaps a bit lower.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 02:38 PM
  #72
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Your biases are showing profoundly. First you laughed at Fleury's stats in the playoffs, I rebutted with Price's, which are worse. Now you are saying price played 65 or more since 2010, although good, arguably detrimental, his numbers closing the season are traditionally worse than his beginning of the season numbers, one could argue easily that he is being overworked. Second, I'm not sure how this catapults him past Fleury who has played 65 games on average since 2008-2009.

I'm not saying Fleury has more skill or even is the better goalie. I think Price is the better goalie too, but his numbers don't really reflect that. I'm puzzled at how you LOL at one who has a Cup and similar production and catapult the other to top 5.

Your 3rd point isn't true at all. The defense was sound for the majority of the season. The goaltending at the end was Price's worse stretch in his career aside from maybe the Philly series.
Do you know the difference between small/smaller sample sizes than regular ones. 48-game season IS NOT A TRUE SAMPLE SIZE. Don't convince me or other people otherwise.

Are you going to tell me that Craig Anderson over his career has played better than Carey Price? The stats don't really show it. They've been about the same. The difference is that CA is 30 and CP is 25. Yes CP has played almost the same amount of seasons as CA, but that's more impressive given his age. Obviously CA is a great goalie but so is CP. CP isn't even in his prime yet, and you're all "why is he being paid like 6.5 mil/year if he's playing like crap" The truth is going into this season (which is when he signed the contract people) a lot of analysts considered him a Top 5 goalie. That's why he's being paid 6.5 mil/year. Despite what you might see on a stats sheet all the time, CP playing on inconsistent defensive teams with sometimes horrendously bad or old talent level on the back end has "held the fort down" sort of speak (except for this year). Now as other posters have mentioned, rankings for goalie are more fluid, they change depending on how great or bad their years are if they're stats are inconsistent. The consistent goalies don't move as much because they're stats stay consistent from year to year. The reason this happens is they have great defensive teams in front of them (Rinne, Lundqvist, Quick, etc.) that gives them much more leeway to have bad stretches or bad periods, the teams bail them out after a while and they get back to playing GREAT defensive hockey, something the Habs have had trouble doing many years in the past for long periods of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
We are paying top dollar for a goalie who has played average at best. A goalie with similar production at 30 wouldn't get near the pay Price is getting. I see a whole like a BS in these posts yet again. We are paying a premium for Price, there are no dollars saved in this equation.
The difference is CP31 isn't 30, he's 25. The fact that you think it's average is fine. I don't look at things so black and white. I look at many extenuating factors when I make decisions on how I label certain players and certain goaltenders. CP31 is playing arguably in the hardest hockey city in one of the hardest positions. Montreal chews up franchise goaltenders and the last time they did, spit it out and eventually ended up in Colorado for other reasons. Point is, we have too high expectations of our franchise goalies.

I see a whole lack of substance in everything you post about. There's some intelligent thoughts being displayed, but it gets washed away with your lack of foresight and knowledge of hockey. Hockey isn't ALWAYS about stats. A good part of it is, but it's also about knowing the game, knowing what it takes to win the SC and what types of players/pieces are required to even make it to the Final or Conference Finals. We've done it once since we last won the SC, on the back of a really hot goalie where he got tired and couldn't sustain it. Does it really matter if we saved 1 million on Price? Big ****ing deal. He's worth every penny IMO especially down the road when he'll (hopefully steps up and) bring us a SC home.

Now for god sakes people, just back off a bit. The guy's going to go nuts here. He probably already has a little bit. You can see it's weighing on him a bit, was blown out of proportion when he last spoke to the media. Just chill out, just relax there's [a little bit] of time.

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 02:45 PM
  #73
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Do you know the difference between small/smaller sample sizes than regular ones. 48-game season IS NOT A TRUE SAMPLE SIZE. Don't convince me or other people otherwise.

Are you going to tell me that Craig Anderson over his career has played better than Carey Price? The stats don't really show it. They've been about the same. The difference is that CA is 30 and CP is 25. Yes CP has played almost the same amount of seasons as CA, but that's more impressive given his age. Obviously CA is a great goalie but so is CP. CP isn't even in his prime yet, and you're all "why is he being paid like 6.5 mil/year if he's playing like crap" The truth is going into this season (which is when he signed the contract people) a lot of analysts considered him a Top 5 goalie. That's why he's being paid 6.5 mil/year. Despite what you might see on a stats sheet all the time, CP playing on inconsistent defensive teams with sometimes horrendously bad or old talent level on the back end has "held the fort down" sort of speak (except for this year). Now as other posters have mentioned, rankings for goalie are more fluid, they change depending on how great or bad their years are if they're stats are inconsistent. The consistent goalies don't move as much because they're stats stay consistent from year to year. The reason this happens is they have great defensive teams in front of them (Rinne, Lundqvist, Quick, etc.) that gives them much more leeway to have bad stretches or bad periods, the teams bail them out after a while and they get back to playing GREAT defensive hockey, something the Habs have had trouble doing many years in the past for long periods of time.



The difference is CP31 isn't 30, he's 25. The fact that you think it's average is fine. I don't look at things so black and white. I look at many extenuating factors when I make decisions on how I label certain players and certain goaltenders. CP31 is playing arguably in the hardest hockey city in one of the hardest positions. Montreal chews up franchise goaltenders and the last time they did, spit it out and eventually ended up in Colorado for other reasons. Point is, we have too high expectations of our franchise goalies.

I see a whole lack of substance in everything you post about. There's some intelligent thoughts being displayed, but it gets washed away with your lack of foresight and knowledge of hockey. Hockey isn't ALWAYS about stats. A good part of it is, but it's also about knowing the game, knowing what it takes to win the SC and what types of players/pieces are required to even make it to the Final or Conference Finals. We've done it once since we last won the SC, on the back of a really hot goalie where he got tired and couldn't sustain it. Does it really matter if we saved 1 million on Price? Big ****ing deal. He's worth every penny IMO especially down the road when he'll (hopefully steps up and) bring us a SC home.

Now for god sakes people, just back off a bit. The guy's going to go nuts here. He probably already has a little bit. You can see it's weighing on him a bit, was blown out of proportion when he last spoke to the media. Just chill out, just relax there's [a little bit] of time.
I've forgotten more about hockey than you will ever know. I'm not even close to trying to run Price out of town. I think we're fine with a top 10-15 goalie and that is all I expect. I take exception to the blind support and over the top evaluations though.

Continually put the team down in order to prop up one player.

I have never mentioned Craig Anderson in this thread. I'm not sure what your entire first two paragraphs are about, but whatever.

The intelligent thoughts haven't been posted by you, mostly everything you have posted is incorrect BS.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 02:48 PM
  #74
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
So you're a GM vote-of-confidence virgin, eh. Don't worry it only hurts the first time.
MB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PG + BG put together.

What he did in less than 12 months is way better than anything Gainey or Gauthier ever did. Traded Cole for Ryder and got a 3rd pick back. He signed Prust, Bouillon (plays well defensively as a 6th defenseman), etc.

I mean why else would the NHL have him as a finalist for GM of the Year. But hey was Bob Gainey or Pierre Gauthier ever recognized for their "efforts" in their first year as a rookie GM behind a team like the Montreal Canadiens? Didn't think so...

Call me a "GM vote-of-confidence virgin" all you want, I have faith in Bergevin and nothign you or any other illogical poster here is going to make me believe otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
For the last time, your understanding of scoring chances and their relationship to shots is minimal at best. We do not limit teams to 5th lowest shots in the league while giving up high numbers or scoring chances, it's a bogus argument that has been refuted 15 times in the previous thread alone.

You're making **** up based on emotion. You are 100% incorrect, in fact, I haven't read a thing that you have posted that was true. You're judging based on your feelings and your homerism/blind support of a player who hasn't met expectations.

NEWS ALERT, the teams that give up the fewest shots also give up the fewest chances, crazy isn't it? This has been studied for years. Shots are the driving force behind goals, always will be. All your posts are you pulling out your magic 8 ball and predicting the future based on how you would like to see it. For instance, "Price wins a cup too in LA", "he'd be much better in Pittsburgh", and now, "if the season was 82 games we'd be 7th place", you're completely full of it. The habs shot differential/puckpossession members suggest the habs finished approximately where they should have, perhaps a bit higher.
Explain this to me:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...savePercentage

For the top 10 goalies that faced the most shots in the NHL, why do 6 have a Save % above .919, 7 have a % above a .914 and 9 of them have a % above .909.

Explain this to me then using your less shots are less scoring chances...

Have you ever heard of "Fire a ton of shots at the goalie, he gets into a rhythm, he gets hot and you can't put one past him" argument? Is that not true too? Even though we saw an example of this pretty recently (I think it was like 3-4 weeks ago...)

Explain.

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 02:50 PM
  #75
Pricenyuk
Montreal961
 
Pricenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
I agree with everything you've said in his post, up until the bolded part. Yes Gorges had a bad year, but he's been solid in other years. Let's see what he does next year. Markov, bad defensively, amazing offensively. He's not the same Markov from 5 years ago that was an All-Star starter. But he's serviceable and will should be used more efficiently on the bottom two, even the bottom pairing. Diaz was also playing pretty well until he got injured so I'll let it go this year. Played well for le Swiss during the WHC.

IMO, you trade Diaz when his value is at the highest. In general you should trade people when their value is at the highest. But considering we have Markov, who for another 1-2 years should be okay, Subban, and coming up the pipeline Beaulieu (to replace Markov) as PMDs, Diaz IMO is the odd man out. Keep Gorges unless he regresses at the same level next year. Markov wait and see as well.
Agreed.

I was only trying to add emphasis to my point. What i was trying to get at is that i would rather trade Markov, Gorges, or Diaz in haste, than trade Price, since Price has the potential to be a franchise player, while the others really do not have that same impact. Not suggesting that we trade any of these players however. One bad year should not spell the end of a player IMO, which goes for both Price and those 3 dmen.

Pricenyuk is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.