HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Anze Kopitar vs Carey Price

Old
10-04-2006, 01:15 PM
elliot

vCash: 500
Anze Kopitar vs Carey Price

Considering that the Habs are still lacking a sizeable and skilled centre, do you think the organization will regret not selecting Anze Kopitar over Carey Price with their 1st round fifth pick?

TSN's Mackenzie has chosen Kopitar as a top ten shining rookie for this new season.

Imagine if we had Kopitar and Latendresse on the same line.Or Kopitar with Kovalev.If Kostitsyn was a left winger we would have the leagues first KKK line.

Of course at the time of that draft, they couldn't predict the emergence of Huet and further decline of Theodore.

Do you think we were heavily considering Kopitar?Did they even meet with him?

I do know that they had been following Price for years and felt he had the potential to be a franchise goalie for us.He is very mature for his years.Who do you think was their next 1st choice?

Many critics love Price as well, but were surprised that the Habs selected him considering their obvious lack of size at centre.

How do you feel about it now?

Elliot

Last edited by elliot: 10-04-2006 at 01:34 PM.
elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot View Post
Considering that the Habs are still lacking a sizeable and skilled centre, do you think the organization will regret not selecting Anze Kopitar over Carey Price with their 1st round fifth pick?

TSN's Mackenzie has chosen Kopitar as a top ten shining rookie for this new season.

Imagine if we had Kopitar and Latendresse on the same line.

Of course at the time of that draft, they couldn't predict the emergence of Huet and further decline of Theodore.

I do know that they had been following Price for years and felt he had the potential to be a franchise goalie for us.he is very mature for his years.

Many critics love Price as well, but were surprised that the Habs selected him considering their obvious lack of size at centre.How do you feel about it now?

Elliot
Habs went with what they felt at the time was the best player available. He just happened to be a goalie. Considering what we've seen so far, i'm quite happy with the pick. Some teams spend the 10-12 years looking for that dependable goalie (Flyers, Sens) it's never a bad thing to choose one if you feel he's got that potential

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 01:20 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I think, yes we should have drafted Kopitar...he'd have been a perfect fit for us. He had a decent season while playing vs men's (Sel+wc's). We should be happy with Carey anyways. I dunno if they were considering him...but they didn't want to take a risk I guess. Kopitar was labeled as slow...but with good skills,size and vision. His skating might have scared some teams.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

It's true, we are lacking big fowards, but we are also lacking depht on defence...it's not a big issue with the last draft, but we still only have one real potential star on the blue line.

But in 2-3 years, without Price, we would be lacking a real good young goaltender. Danis is good, but he will never be a stud, and Halak is a big question mark...

So do we made a mistake in not choosing Kopitar? I don't think so...but the chances are that in 5 years from now, we would like to have both player on our team. Which one will be the best? It's hard to know, but anyways, we have Price, LA have Kopitar, and everybody should look foward...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 01:23 PM
AH

His lack of speed and footwork and lack of agility scared off many teams. Where he went in the draft was about right. At 5 he was too high.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Teufelsdreck

In 10 years Habs fans will be asking, "Anze who?" They'll know the name Carey Price very well.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 01:26 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Habs went with what they felt at the time was the best player available. He just happened to be a goalie. Considering what we've seen so far, i'm quite happy with the pick. Some teams spend the 10-12 years looking for that dependable goalie (Flyers, Sens) it's never a bad thing to choose one if you feel he's got that potential
Make it 20 years for Philly.

I'm pretty happy with Price's pick. Seeing how good he was in pre-season makes me love that pick even more.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Fido22

Judging from the spot at which he was drafted, it seems many teams considered him a risky pick. Not one that I would have liked to have seen taken with the -very rare- fifth overall. Some may argue on having taken Brule or Stall or Bourdon, but Price seems to be right on track and fulfilling a long term need at goal. Anyway, Price vs Kopitar, without hindsight and considering the question marks surrounding Kopitar and that it was a fifth overall pick....I'm glad we picked Price.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

My picks at that time were:

1-Kopitar (Perfect mix of skill, size and needs)
2-Brulé (Pure skill, was scared of his size...)
3-Staal (all-around better d-men of that draft, after Johnson of course...)

(Didn't even think about a goalie at that time, and wasn't in love with Bourdon so much, didn't see how he could have a offensive game in the Pro levels)

So Yes, I still think Kopitar might have been the best bet, still think we could pick goalie in the 2nd and 3rd round that will evidently become better than 1st rounders, but not in 2005 'cause the only goalie susceptible to become a great one is Pavelec but was picked before the Lats pick. Even there, I would've pick Lats even if Pavelec was available, knowing that I would try to use my 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2006.

As a matter of fact, I would've use one of our 2 second rounders to pick Steve Mason if we would not have picked Price a year before. I have tons of confidence that this kid will be a steal.

Having said that, I'm happy with Price, thrilled with Lats, and surprised by Maxwell and Carle. We still could've used White's pick for Mason's, not convince about White even though most are calling this a steal. We'll see.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 10-04-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 01:39 PM
zednik20

Quote:

Imagine if we had Kopitar and Latendresse on the same line.Or Kopitar with Kovalev.If Kostitsyn was a left winger we would have the leagues first KKK line.

I do know that they had been following Price for years and felt he had the potential to be a franchise goalie for us.He is very mature for his years.Who do you think was their next 1st choice?

Many critics love Price as well, but were surprised that the Habs selected him considering their obvious lack of size at centre.

Elliot
again....who will it be next week....

zednik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
If Kostitsyn was a left winger we would have the leagues first KKK line.
And that's a good thing because?

Price will be a great goalie, he looked amazing 2 camps in a row. Even I who's not particularly fond of the goalie position can recognize this guy, if he fulfills his potential, will likely win more games for the Habs than any other rookie still available when it was our turn to pick.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 01:51 PM
LeMAD

It was a big mistake to draft Price since they could have get him or Rask or Pavelec later in the first round if they had traded their pick. Kopitar has more chances than Price of becoming a great player, and history tells us there are very few real franchise goalies and those goalies aren't always high draft picks.

So statistically speaking, Price will probably be a bust...(yeah i'm a student in economy )

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Garo

Quote:
So statistically speaking, Price will probably be a bust...(yeah i'm a student in economy )
So Luongo, DiPietro, Lehtonen and Fleury are busts?

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Fozz

I really though Kopitar was the best option for the Habs in the 05 draft...

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
My picks at that time were:

1-Kopitar (Perfect mix of skill, size and needs)
2-Brulé (Pure skill, was scared of his size...)
3-Staal (all-around better d-men of that draft)

(Didn't even think about a goalie at that time, and wasn't in love with Bourdon so much, didn't see how he could have a offensive game in the Pro levels)

So Yes, I still think Kopitar might have been the best bet, still think we could pick goalie in the 2nd and 3rd round that will evidently become better than 1st rounders, but not in 2005 'cause the only goalie susceptible to become a great one is Pavelec but was picked before the Lats pick. Even there, I would've pick Lats even if Pavelec was available, knowing that I would try to use my 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2006.

As a matter of fact, I would've use one of our 2 second rounders to pick Steve Mason if we would not have picked Price a year before. I have tons of confidence that this kid will be a steal.

Having said that, I'm happy with Price, thrilled with Lats, and surprised by Maxwell and Carle. We still could've used White's pick for Mason's, not convince about White even though most are calling this a steal. We'll see.
I like the exact same 3 guys, but in a different order !

Brule (smallish but loved the combination of skills and absolute grit)
Kopitar (size and skill but was afraid of the lack of footspeed)
Staal (great D all-around, love the mobility)

I still can not believe we took a goalie with that pick; there were too much skill available, when you kind always find a late-blooming goalie in the later rounds or even via a trade. A guy like Kopitar ? no chance !! From a fan POV, it's also less thrilling to pick a goalie than a super-skill position player, who can get there faster and bring more excitment !

But hey ! If Price follows the Cam Ward curve, I might be just fine with it after all

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zednik20 View Post
again....who will it be next week....
Don't worry. I will always turn around the same players and same years.

2003 Kosty VS the world and our beloved Urquhart vs Bergeron (false debate though 'cause nobody ever talked about Bergeron at the time....)
2005 Price VS Brule/Kopitar/Staal/Bourdon
2006 Fischer VS Giroux and soon, some people will be talking about the ones they didn't know about.......My 2006 favorite was Berglund, so I'm entitled to bash the org. if Berglund does great later on..... But there was some Sanguinetti lovers, Williams' lovers and maybe some Geoffrion's lovers for the 2nd round instead of Maxwell and Carle....I know at the time Geoffrion was my pick definately over Carle....

We should keep track of who wanted who, that way, you'll be able to bash the org. only if it's clear that AT THE TIME, you wanted that other guy. If not, it then becomes hindsight....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:11 PM
gusfring

Quote:

Elliot
I didn't think Price was the right pick then and still don't.

Wanted Brule or Staal.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
So Luongo, DiPietro, Lehtonen and Fleury are busts?
Luongo has been traded twice and has yet to see playoffs. What's Dipetro ever done, besides signing a ridiculours contract ?Fleury is a big question mark. Lehtonen looks like he's gonna be something special though

That's other thing: since we don't plan on being bottom feeders for years in a row like Pitt or Atlanta did, for only once we had the chance to take a game breaker with tons of skills, something it's very difficult to acquire any other way than drafting it top5. Faith gave us that chance, but we took the goalie...

Atl took Lehtonen but they had stunk for years, so they already had Heatley and Kovalchuk. Pitt took Fleury but they knew there were more top picks coming, so they now have Malkin, Crosby, Whitney to go with him

We never finish last, so we win a draw and take Price; but where's our Malkin gonna come from? our Kovalchuk ? Our Heatley ? That was our chance to take a special player and then find a goalie which is easier to do, but we blew it...

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Bob Bastards

It's so much more difficult to find a good goalie then find a defenseman then find a forward...
Price was the BPA at the time. I still think it's a good pick.

Bob Bastards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

While I remember wanting the habs to draft Kopitar and being surprised like everyone when they picked Price instead, this is something that is just too easy to complain about. Timmins and Gainey clearly saw something in Price, and I think we've all seen it over the years, and I respect their decision.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Garo

Quote:
Luongo has been traded twice and has yet to see playoffs. What's Dipetro ever done, besides signing a ridiculours contract ?Fleury is a big question mark. Lehtonen looks like he's gonna be something special though
Still, none of them could be considered a bust.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
We should keep track of who wanted who, that way, you'll be able to bash the org. only if it's clear that AT THE TIME, you wanted that other guy. If not, it then becomes hindsight....
But, but, but hindsight is what makes me good at these things.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 03:13 PM
NewHabsEra*

Well...The fans, Crawford and Hextall all said Kopitar was one of the best players at the camp if not the best one so at the moment it looks like the guy should have been drafted earlier... However, we drafted a potential franchise goaltender in Price and Im really happy with the pick... As much as I like Danis, he hasnt elite potential IMO, I could see him becoming something similar to Huet while Price has just everything to become a force in the NHL.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Guy Germaine

that's who i was hoping we would have drafted,I just a great feeling about this kid. I'm happy with price though, you can't be a competitive team year in year out without a great goalie.If price becomes the goalie we expect him to, habs will be in great position, kind of like Buffalo are now.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 03:24 PM
kostitsyn1489

At draft time my pick was kopitar I really like this player but now I agree with price. It's a really good pick. I like both much so I,m not angry because they pciked price instead of kopitar.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote