HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

ECSF | Game 5 | Ottawa Senators at Pittsburgh Penguins | 7:30 ET | NBCSN RDS CBC

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2013, 04:46 PM
  #101
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
Yes, but not many have been from sustained pressure, that's all. Look at the last game for example:

1st- off a faceoff
2nd- breakaway
3rd- off the rush
4th- PP
5th- SH
6th- Crosby being Crosby
7th- PP


If it keeps working out this way, great. It's just something that I'm keeping an eye on.
i'm not worried for one reason: yes, a majority (if not all) of the Penguins goals have come either on the rush or on the PP (or just at the end of the PP wrt the Martin/Morrow score) but the Pens HAVE had sustained pressure. I mean, they've really carried the play time for incredibly-long stretches. Islanders series was more of a case where they weren't scoring goals off of pressure and it was a worry, but they just "rushed" their way to victory. This feels completely different to me.

IcedCapp is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 04:49 PM
  #102
Waffle Fries
Registered User
 
Waffle Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
i'm not worried for one reason: yes, a majority (if not all) of the Penguins goals have come either on the rush or on the PP (or just at the end of the PP wrt the Martin/Morrow score) but the Pens HAVE had sustained pressure. I mean, they've really carried the play time for incredibly-long stretches. Islanders series was more of a case where they weren't scoring goals off of pressure and it was a worry, but they just "rushed" their way to victory. This feels completely different to me.
This is true as well. It definitely has gotten better this series.

Waffle Fries is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 04:58 PM
  #103
SHOOTANDSCORE
Registered User
 
SHOOTANDSCORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Let's win one for quarter night at the nudie bar.


Or reichsmark night in the nudie bunker



SHOOTANDSCORE is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:05 PM
  #104
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve
 
HuskerTornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 12,269
vCash: 500


HuskerTornado is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:22 PM
  #105
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy
 
ManInTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mad Dick's Bones
Posts: 3,341
vCash: 500
Come out firing immediately. Disrupt the transition with intent of creating turnovers. Buy ourselves extented time in the offensive zone. Get to our game.

ManInTheBox is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:27 PM
  #106
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,064
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLuci View Post
Come out firing immediately. Disrupt the transition with intent of creating turnovers. Buy ourselves extented time in the offensive zone. Get to our game.
Agreed, but also remember they are fighting for their playoff lives. Vokoun will have to weather some storms out there. If Anderson goes God mode again, just do the same thing you did the last game. Stay the course and wait for the gates to open.

ColePens is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:32 PM
  #107
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy
 
ManInTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mad Dick's Bones
Posts: 3,341
vCash: 500
Gonna raid Karlsson's panty drawer, I am.

ManInTheBox is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:33 PM
  #108
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,064
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I don't care for Melrose, but he just said it well: "Give them a reason to quit." He then went on to say the worst thing for the Pens to do is come out and feel this series is over. That would cost them another 60 minutes. Possible more.

Spot on analysis for tonight's game. I think it's quite obvious, but it's true.

ColePens is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:41 PM
  #109
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I don't care for Melrose, but he just said it well: "Give them a reason to quit." He then went on to say the worst thing for the Pens to do is come out and feel this series is over. That would cost them another 60 minutes. Possible more.

Spot on analysis for tonight's game. I think it's quite obvious, but it's true.
Isn't this why we signed half the captains in the league? To make sure in games like this that the Pens have their priorities straight?

Jaded-Fan is online now  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:45 PM
  #110
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 67,797
vCash: 50
I'm actually going to be optimistic for a change and say we'll win 4-2.

Shrimper is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:50 PM
  #111
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,508
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I don't care for Melrose, but he just said it well: "Give them a reason to quit." He then went on to say the worst thing for the Pens to do is come out and feel this series is over. That would cost them another 60 minutes. Possible more.

Spot on analysis for tonight's game. I think it's quite obvious, but it's true.
i watched a few minutes of Melrose on NHL Network and when talking about the Richards situation in NY he mentioned that Morrow was probably healthy scratched for game 4. it was a throwaway line but still struck me as quite the inferential leap.

Crafton is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:52 PM
  #112
Waffle Fries
Registered User
 
Waffle Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
i watched a few minutes of Melrose on NHL Network and when talking about the Richards situation in NY he mentioned that Morrow was probably healthy scratched for game 4. it was a throwaway line but still struck me as quite the inferential leap.
I heard that, too. I don't believe he was a healthy scratch, it's apparently a shoulder/arm injury.

Waffle Fries is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:53 PM
  #113
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,796
vCash: 80
Pens can't control how the bounces will go, but they can control the kind of effort they put out. If they can play the same way they did in Games 3 and 4 for 60 minutes tonight, that's all I ask for. If they do that, there's a good chance the Pens finish the series tonight.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:55 PM
  #114
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.
 
Dying Alive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,879
vCash: 500
Yeah, Morrow as a healthy scratch is possible but not probable IMO. The entire local media saw him leave the ice early at practice & go spend time with a trainer. Seems like unnecessary subterfuge just to not have to call him a healthy scratch. There's no reason for them to do that.

Dying Alive is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:57 PM
  #115
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,270
vCash: 500
Heading to my Blackout Bunker before Kirk Neeson finds me. Good luck to everyone tonight

IcedCapp is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:58 PM
  #116
SteelFish87*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,275
vCash: 500
I doubt Morrow was a healthy scratch. Remember we were coming off a double OT game, he could have just been sore as hell from being overworked and old

SteelFish87* is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:58 PM
  #117
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 67,797
vCash: 50
I'd rather keep the line-up as it was for Game 4. No need to change it in my mind.

Shrimper is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 06:01 PM
  #118
Waffle Fries
Registered User
 
Waffle Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,760
vCash: 500
Shelly Anderson @pgshelly
Morrow taking pregame warmup with #Penguins

Dejan Kovacevic @Dejan_Kovacevic
Brenden Morrow, an injured scratch for Game 4, is out for warmups right now. Doesn’t mean he’s recovered enough to play. We’ll see. #TribHKY



Also, I personally just saw Beau on the ice on TV, so we'll see

Waffle Fries is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 06:04 PM
  #119
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely
 
Mordax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,336
vCash: 500


Go Pens

Mordax is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 06:05 PM
  #120
leafspensfan
Registered User
 
leafspensfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,321
vCash: 500
I don't really think Bylsma wants to change this lineup..

leafspensfan is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 06:07 PM
  #121
cheesedanish87
Registered User
 
cheesedanish87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
i watched a few minutes of Melrose on NHL Network and when talking about the Richards situation in NY he mentioned that Morrow was probably healthy scratched for game 4. it was a throwaway line but still struck me as quite the inferential leap.
I watched it also, i could be wrong but i thought he was comparing Morrow being a healthy scratch earlier this year with Dallas, when talking about Richards being a healthy scratch.

cheesedanish87 is online now  
Old
05-24-2013, 06:07 PM
  #122
jdp
theBatman
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
New to Commenting on Board - But been following for years

Hey Guys,

been following this board for several years now, first time commenting. don't know what took me so long.

been a pen fan since 1987. been there for the ups and downs and stuck through it all. hardcore fan, recent games have given me minor heart attacks.

Team doing well, finally got that killer instinct they've been lacking, and I've been waiting for.

Let's get this series over with tonight. Need a quick start, and just need to bombard the net with shots.

jdp is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 06:10 PM
  #123
SteelFish87*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
I don't really think Bylsma wants to change this lineup..
Glass tho

SteelFish87* is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 06:12 PM
  #124
Waffle Fries
Registered User
 
Waffle Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,760
vCash: 500
Dave Molinari @MolinariPG
Take the warmups line rushes at face value, and it looks as if Brenden Morrow will replace Beau Bennett on the fourth line tonight.


I wanted Beau to play

Waffle Fries is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 06:13 PM
  #125
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,064
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Isn't this why we signed half the captains in the league? To make sure in games like this that the Pens have their priorities straight?
Yes... and probably why they had so much poise last game. That would have ended bad just last season. They just stayed the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
i watched a few minutes of Melrose on NHL Network and when talking about the Richards situation in NY he mentioned that Morrow was probably healthy scratched for game 4. it was a throwaway line but still struck me as quite the inferential leap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Yeah, Morrow as a healthy scratch is possible but not probable IMO. The entire local media saw him leave the ice early at practice & go spend time with a trainer. Seems like unnecessary subterfuge just to not have to call him a healthy scratch. There's no reason for them to do that.

Yeahhhhh not buying it. DB wouldn't do that to a vet. I heard that and immediately didn't believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp View Post
Hey Guys,

been following this board for several years now, first time commenting. don't know what took me so long.

been a pen fan since 1987. been there for the ups and downs and stuck through it all. hardcore fan, recent games have given me minor heart attacks.

Team doing well, finally got that killer instinct they've been lacking, and I've been waiting for.

Let's get this series over with tonight. Need a quick start, and just need to bombard the net with shots.
Welcome aboard! Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

ColePens is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.