HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

One Goal Games

Old
10-04-2006, 01:38 PM
PMPuck

vCash: 500
One Goal Games

Jokinen called it right when he said we have to improve on those one goal games (19-23 record last year). It will be very interesting to watch the first time(s) Auld and Belfour are charged with holding onto a 1 goal lead with under a minute left. Last year it seemed like an endless number of those 23 1 goal losses were games that got away(or were given away).

I'll be happy to trade a few bad goaltending games for a bunch of lead holds in the last few seconds.

It will also be interesting to see how Louie holds up on those 1 goal leads late in games with the 'nucks. Was it him or was it the team defense ..... hmm ... that will be a fun aside to watch this season.

PMPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 01:42 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Keep in mind that we also have some crease clearing Dmen now, so the point blank opportunities that we saw against Luongo last season should decrease.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:26 PM
harv3317

many of those last minute goals were from around the outside of the faceoff circle. had nothing to do with clearing the net. in any event i am looking forward to this season and a timely performance from our goalies. i will also keep an eye on louisa.

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
many of those last minute goals were from around the outside of the faceoff circle. had nothing to do with clearing the net. in any event i am looking forward to this season and a timely performance from our goalies. i will also keep an eye on louisa.
Actually, the losses last season were team efforts. Luongo didn't make the big saves when he needed to, but the defense and forwards were not able to get the puck out of the zone at the end of games when the opposing teams started putting offensive pressure on them. Simply put, the team wasn't playing enough of a physical game to win battles to come away with the puck, and on the few occasions where they did they tended to not be very smart with the puck, turning it over before gaining the neutral zone and allowing the other team to get shots on net again.

Can't put the blame on any one player - you'll see Auld and Belfour choke in those same situations if the team isn't grittier when playing defense.