HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis has his work cut out for him

Old
05-24-2013, 03:22 AM
Jax Teller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
It's not as simple as that. You need to read up on the cap impact of retiring players.
Yeah, I forgot about that rule being put in place. Thanks.

I calculated the penalty and it would cost the Leafs 2.1 million per season for the final 3 years of his contract if he retired after 4 years.

Not a crippling blow. But, probably something the team should avoid. After thinking about it, I'd pass.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
Yeah, I forgot about that rule being put in place. Thanks.

I calculated the penalty and it would cost the Leafs 2.1 million per season for the final 3 years of his contract if he retired after 4 years.

Not a crippling blow. But, probably something the team should avoid. After thinking about it, I'd pass.
This was the same concern during all of the Luongo talk.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Drew75

Looking at this team, I think Nonis is in a very enviable position this off-season. The reason for that is that he really does not HAVE to do much, but will be in a position to make a splash should the opportunity arise.

Yes, there are some serious holes that need to be addressed before this team is a perrenial contender - but Nonis has historically displayed great patience, and that will be the key to making the right moves over the next 14 months or so.

If he can add a guy like Clarkson to a reasonable deal, it's an automatic upgrade on our secondary scoring while providing some size. I can also see him moving a guy like Scrivens in a deal and bringing in a vetran back up such as Emery or Khabby on a 1 or 2 year deal to support Reims.

We'll go into next year with a young, developing core, cap space, and starting to reap the rewards of patient prospect development.

Nonis has historically left a roster space or two available for young players to win in training camp. I can see him doing that again next year. A likely forward group would be:

Lupul Kadri Kessel
JVR Grabo Clarkson
Frattin Colborne Kulemin
Komarov McClement Orr / Mclaren

However ... with teams trying to reduce their cap hits - there is the potential for a steal. Is Statsny worth $6.7? No - however with only one year left on his deal, why not try him with Kessel if you can pick him up cheaply?

On the back-end, I can see something like:

Phaneuf Gunnarson
Gardiner Franson
Fraser UFA / Young Player (such as Blacker)

Remembering that with injuries, etc, we are likely to see guys like Blacker, Percy, and maybe even Paul Ranger for 'test stints' throughout the year.

Nonis does not have to do much this summer, as we're NOT going to be contenders next season - but by not having to make big moves, yet having cap space and money to spend, he will also be a position of strength should opportunity arise!

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 05:34 PM
darrylsittler27

2 pieces to contention.

Reimer will grow and get better. What we need is a star center and a top 2 Dman to help Phaneuff and give Gardiner,Reilly,Finn time to mature. We may be able to sign Scuderi, leaving one piece away from contention. The work Nonnis has is figuring out how to get a number one center without gutting this team.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 06:43 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
Reimer will grow and get better. What we need is a star center and a top 2 Dman to help Phaneuff and give Gardiner,Reilly,Finn time to mature. We may be able to sign Scuderi, leaving one piece away from contention. The work Nonnis has is figuring out how to get a number one center without gutting this team.
If we get a "star" centre, how much offence are we expecting to produce?

Star centre - 30gls, 70-80pts
Kessel - 35-40 goals, 100pts
JVR - 30-35 goals, 66

Lupul - 25-30gls, 70-80pts
Kadri - 25-30gls, 70-80pts
Kulemin - 25 goals, 50pts

Colborne 20gls, 45pts
Frattin 20gls, 45pts
Clarkson - 25gls, 55pts

Point being, this project is outright insane. How in the world will we be able to afford to field such a line? We essentially have three point per game guys, another (JVR) who is a potential 35-40 goal guy, and others who can chip in a fair bit. In fact, I can see Joe Colborne being a 65-70pts player who plays against the top lines. To expect more offensive production sounds a bit ridiculous.

PS: A top pairing D seems a lot more essential IMO.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post

JVR - 30-35 goals, 66

Colborne 20gls, 45pts
Frattin 20gls, 45pts
Clarkson - 25gls, 55pts

Point being, this project is outright insane. How in the world will we be able to afford to field such a line? We essentially have three point per game guys, another (JVR) who is a potential 35-40 goal guy, and others who can chip in a fair bit. In fact, I can see Joe Colborne being a 65-70pts player who plays against the top lines. To expect more offensive production sounds a bit ridiculous.

This isnt the oilers dynasty calm down on those numbers. You have got around 250+ goals from the top 9.

That is higher than any team's top 9 has scored since the lockout.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 64
Quote:

JVR - 30-35 goals, 66

Colborne 20gls, 45pts
Frattin 20gls, 45pts
Clarkson - 25gls, 55pts

It's so hard to guess point/goal totals of a team due to somebody in your top 9 having an off year (Grabo this year, Kulemin last year, Bozak before, etc.) and injuries causing less point totals due to missed games (for example in 2011-2012 we had 398 points out of our 9 highest scorers, but the average games played was 71 between those 9 players).

That being said, I think 100 points is VERY difficult to obtain for any player not named Crosby now a days, and 4 players at/around/above ppg would be very tough to get.

Edit: Also, if Colborne is a 67-70pt player that can put those points up playing against top lines.... Why would he not be our #1C?

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 08:40 PM
JackJ

Quote:

The playoffs proved another top D is now our top priority.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 08:50 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post

This isnt the oilers dynasty calm down on those numbers. You have got around 250+ goals from the top 9.

That is higher than any team's top 9 has scored since the lockout.
Exactly. It doesn't make any sense. Our offensive production is more than sufficient.

We do NOT require a star centre. Instead a big two-way centre like Berglund, Colb, Couts, would be more than sufficient.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:55 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:

JVR - 30-35 goals, 66

Colborne 20gls, 45pts
Frattin 20gls, 45pts
Clarkson - 25gls, 55pts

I don't think there is much chance of Kulemin topping 20 goals again, nor of Colborne or Clarkson producing 20 goals on third line minutes. If you look at the very best offensive clubs, even when they don't have big player turnover, all their shooters don't have big years at once. I get what you are saying and if they did add a ppg player to go with Kessel though, it could get pricey when all those contracts become due. But if JVR doesn't top 25 goals any time soon, and if Kadri slacks off after his breakout year (like Eberle for instance) and if Lupul gets hurt again there wouldn't any surplus of scoring. Big Joe has 1 goal in 16 NHL games and hasn't managed 65 points against the AHL so it isn't like he has earned a big role yet.

Stacking their forwards with shooters means no Bozak, no Grabo, probably a winger like Bickell rather than Clarkson (problematic if they want a fighter who can log decent minutes) There are very few willing fighters who can play at all. Ott, Lucic, and Simmons with Ott being the only one whp might be available (and at a low salary right now at least). The $2 million difference between a resigned Bozak and Stastny/Cammy doesn't equal a cushion that protects them from future cap issues, and that is current status quo. They don't have a cheap plan B to Boz unless Colburne or another AHLer comes up and there is little sign they have anyone that ready. I don't know if they can make the money work and still fix the D up. If no Bozak it will be fascinating to see who they get to put with Kessel.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:02 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
It's so hard to guess point/goal totals of a team due to somebody in your top 9 having an off year (Grabo this year, Kulemin last year, Bozak before, etc.) and injuries causing less point totals due to missed games (for example in 2011-2012 we had 398 points out of our 9 highest scorers, but the average games played was 71 between those 9 players).
That is true. Injuries will enter the play. However salaries are largely going to be determined by output under best conditions. We'll have a difficult time keeping other forwards with a top six involving a star centre, Kessel, Lupul and Kadri.

Quote:
That being said, I think 100 points is VERY difficult to obtain for any player not named Crosby now a days, and 4 players at/around/above ppg would be very tough to get.
I think Kessel could be a 100pt guy. He is the "American Crosby". It's unfortunate that he was hit by cancer. Seeing that he was on pace for 90pts on the Leafs, I don't think 100pts is impossible.

Quote:
Edit: Also, if Colborne is a 67-70pt player that can put those points up playing against top lines.... Why would he not be our #1C?
That's why I'd rather stay away from acquiring any centres. He's top six material is a lot more creative/ offensive than Couts as well.

Mikhail Grabovski has produced nearly 60pts. I can see Joe with his higher creativity, shot, vision, and size doing better.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:42 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
I don't think there is much chance of Kulemin topping 20 goals again, nor of Colborne or Clarkson producing 20 goals on third line minutes. If you look at the very best offensive clubs, even when they don't have big player turnover, all their shooters don't have big years at once. I get what you are saying and if they did add a ppg player to go with Kessel though, it could get pricey when all those contracts become due. But if JVR doesn't top 25 goals any time soon, and if Kadri slacks off after his breakout year (like Eberle for instance) and if Lupul gets hurt again there wouldn't any surplus of scoring. Big Joe has 1 goal in 16 NHL games and hasn't managed 65 points against the AHL so it isn't like he has earned a big role yet.
Those figures were potential output. I doubt we'll see every player produce at those levels. However, contracts are largely based on potential.

Also, the shut down line is more like a second line. Interestingly, Grabovski in 2010-2011, and 2011-2012 largely played against the top lines. Regardless, he produced over 20 goals and had a high of 29 goals.

For most parts, that applied to Kulemin and MacArthur as well. I'm not sure if Kulemin production fell because of his role, but MacArthur produced 20 goals despite being utilized in the same manner. He was on the shut down like with Grabovski and Kulemin.

Quote:
Stacking their forwards with shooters means no Bozak, no Grabo, probably a winger like Bickell rather than Clarkson (problematic if they want a fighter who can log decent minutes) There are very few willing fighters who can play at all.
I would rather just keep Grabovski to be honest. Someone like Clarkson who is very physical would be nice to have as well.

Quote:
Ott, Lucic, and Simmons with Ott being the only one whp might be available (and at a low salary right now at least). The $2 million difference between a resigned Bozak and Stastny/Cammy doesn't equal a cushion that protects them from future cap issues, and that is stcurrent atus quo.
, Gardiner and Rielly as well. Exactly. Stasts at 6.6 million, Kessel at $7.5m, Phaneuf at $6.5-7.0 million, a future PPG Kadri at $6.5 may end up limiting as greatly.

Quote:
They don't have a cheap plan B to Boz unless Colburne or another AHLer comes up and there is little sign they have anyone that ready. I don't know if they can make the money work and still fix the D up. If no Bozak it will be fascinating to see who they get to put with Kessel.
Kadri would be more than sufficient on the top line with Kessel. He was used quite effectively against Boston when we took the game to seven. I don't think Bozak is necessary and if things go back, use Grabovski or even Colborne as well.

Speaking of Colborne, he showed that readiness in the playoffs. I don't see anything wrong with putting a defensively sound guy on any lines. He could be groomed in a similar manner as Bozak and just given good minutes. His size, physical play, and heavy shot would compliment JVR and Kessel well.

Old
05-24-2013, 10:47 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Those figures were potential output. I doubt we'll see every player produce at those levels. However, contracts are largely based on potential.

Also, the shut down line is more like a second line. Interestingly, Grabovski in 2010-2011, and 2011-2012 largely played against the top lines. Regardless, he produced over 20 goals and had a high of 29 goals.

For most parts, that applied to Kulemin and MacArthur as well. I'm not sure if Kulemin production fell because of his role, but MacArthur produced 20 goals despite being utilized in the same manner. He was on the shut down like with Grabovski and Kulemin.

I would rather just keep Grabovski to be honest. Someone like Clarkson who is very physical would be nice to have as well.

, Gardiner and Rielly as well. Exactly. Stasts at 6.6 million, Kessel at $7.5m, Phaneuf at $6.5-7.0 million, a future PPG Kadri at $6.5 may end up limiting as greatly.

Kadri would be more than sufficient on the top line with Kessel. He was used quite effectively against Boston when we took the game to seven. I don't think Bozak is necessary and if things go back, use

Grabovski or even Colborne as well.

Speaking of Colborne, he showed that readiness in the playoffs. I don't see anything wrong with putting a defensively sound guy on any lines. He could be groomed in a similar manner as Bozak and just given good minutes. His size, physical play, and heavy shot would compliment JVR and Kessel well.
I just can't see winning without a strong 1-2 top 6 centers. Pittsburgh, Boston, LA, SJ, and Chicago all have the
strong pair of centers. I won't jump on the anti- Grabo bandwagon, but I don't think Carlyle sees him as a #1 guy.. His complete absence of any interest in trying MG on the top line makes me think he will use anyone else. He might be stuck on a big guy as he hopes tom recreate his Ducks club.
Again, the net additional cost between Grabs and an upgrade might only be another million so if you think he is a fix, you really can't argue about spending just a bit more for a bigger producer. Although when we compare the Leafs to the best clubs, are any of them running with 5 big scorers? 4 seems to be the limit for even the top clubs, and Grabo either could be their 5th already, or at least he is paid like one. It may be that even if they want to
keep him for the top 6 he brings them to a salary tipping point as that 5th man, but this would be when the others receive their next contracts. Of course if there is any substance to the Clarkson thing, that tipping point could be next year(although the casualty there might be Kulemin). It doesn't look good for Bozak, unless they do intend to move Grabo. I think the cheap assets like Frattin are going to put pressure on any bottom 6 player making over 2 million.

About the D, I would expect that once Rielly and Gardiner are on their second contracts they are also doing some salary purge, meaning Franson for certain, and maybe even Dion unless the club gets to where they are carrying no bad contracts.

Last edited by nuck: 05-24-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old
05-24-2013, 11:08 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

JVR-Janmark_Nylén-Kessel
Lupul Kadri Kessel
Frattin Colborne D'Amigo
Komarov McClement Orr / McLaren

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson
Granberg-Liles
Fraser

Reimer
Scrivens

Doesn't look like he has that much work to do, besides getting ready for the draft.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.

Last edited by ULF_55: 05-25-2013 at 01:02 AM.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
JVR-Janmark_Nylén-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Kulemin
Lupul Kadri Kessel
Frattin Colborne D'Amigo
Komarov McClement Orr / McLaren

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson
Granberg-Liles
Fraser

Reimer
Scrivens

Doesn't look like he has that much work to do, besides getting ready for the draft.
So you cloned kadri, JVR and kessel?

If so, we are the most dangerous team offensively in the league.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 11:50 PM
TMLife
#teambernier

Clone mcclement too!!

TMLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:33 AM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
I just can't see winning without a strong 1-2 top 6 centers. Pittsburgh, Boston, LA, SJ, and Chicago all have the
strong pair of centers.
I wouldn't place the centre tandem of other clubs at the same level as the Penguins. Besides our franchise player is on the wing and will stay that way. More so, Kadri will be our Krecji in the future.

Actually our top six resembles Chicago. They're pretty wing heavy with Hossa, Kane, and Sharp. The Penguin's setup, on the other hand, represents an extreme.

Quote:
I won't jump on the anti- Grabo bandwagon, but I don't think Carlyle sees him as a #1 guy.. His complete absence of any interest in trying MG on the top line makes me think he will use anyone else. He might be stuck on a big guy as he hopes tom recreate his Ducks club.
Grabovski was producing while against the top lines under Wilson. It made sense for Randy to utilize him in that manner. If Grabovski was placed on the top scoring line with Kessel, his production would be much higher since he'd have less defensive responsibilities.

Quote:
Again, the net additional cost between Grabs and an upgrade might only be another million so if you think he is a fix, you really can't argue about spending just a bit more for a bigger producer. Although when we compare the Leafs to the best clubs, are any of them running with 5 big scorers? 4 seems to be the limit for even the top clubs, and Grabo either could be their 5th already, or at least he is paid like one. It may be that even if they want to
keep him for the top 6 he brings them to a salary tipping point as that 5th man, but this would be when the others receive their next contracts. Of course if there is any substance to the Clarkson thing, that tipping point could be next year(although the casualty there might be Kulemin). It doesn't look good for Bozak, unless they do intend to move Grabo. I think the cheap assets like Frattin are going to put pressure on any bottom 6 player making over 2 million.
I'm pretty certain that we'll see no moves this year. Instead we'll see Bozak allowed to walk, Grabovski kept on, and see how it goes with Colborne and Kadri. If we can have a middle that resembles Boston (50-70pt guys), we'll be set.

Quote:
About the D, I would expect that once Rielly and Gardiner are on their second contracts they are also doing some salary purge, meaning Franson for certain, and maybe even Dion unless the club gets to where they are carrying no bad contracts.
I can't see a D pairing without another defensively stead D. Every contender has a top quality shut down D. Phaneuf is great defensively, but needs someone to help him out. Gunnars isn't sufficient.

Old
05-25-2013, 11:32 AM
devilishleafs

I took a look at the possibilities and came up with this:

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.250m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($3.500m) / Matt Frattin ($0.925m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m) / Joe Colborne ($1.200m) / David Clarkson ($3.850m)
Leo Komarov ($1.350m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Ryan Hamilton ($0.750m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.896m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Cody Franson ($3.400m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($3.250m)
Mark Fraser ($2.500m) / Rob Scuderi ($2.800m)
John-Michael Liles ($3.875m)
GOALTENDERS
James Reimer ($1.800m)
Ben Scrivens ($0.613m)
OTHER
Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
Buyout: Mike Komisarek ($0.000m)
Buyout: Mikhail Grabovski ($0.000m)

There is a chance Nonis trades Grabo or Liles, otherwise I would see something similar to this for the fall season. Now that doesnt count the possibilities of some of the prospects and Marlie roster players making the team for next year.

devilishleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Dreakmur

You can't pay Clarkson 4 million and then stick him on the 3rd line.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:05 PM
devilishleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Um okay why? We already pay Grabo, Komi and Liles to watch or play the 4th lines $4million plus. The lines I posted are not set in stone Frattin could be switched with Clarkson if that eases your mind.

devilishleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
The previous GM forced the Leafs to pay Connolly $4.75 mil and Komisarek $4.5 mil to play for the Marlies.

In context to that $4mil for Clarkson as a 3rd line NHLer on the Leafs isn't so bad after all.

However I personally would expect Clarkson to be among Leafs top 6, top 2 lines myself, and bring that much need element of grit to the top 6 that is missing presently.

05-25-2013, 03:45 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
I wouldn't place the centre tandem of other clubs at the same level as the Penguins. Besides our franchise player is on the wing and will stay that way. More so, Kadri will be our Krecji in the future.

Actually our top six resembles Chicago. They're pretty wing heavy with Hossa, Kane, and Sharp. The Penguin's setup, on the other hand, represents an extreme.

Grabovski was producing while against the top lines under Wilson. It made sense for Randy to utilize him in that manner. If Grabovski was placed on the top scoring line with Kessel, his production would be much higher since he'd have less defensive responsibilities.

I'm pretty certain that we'll see no moves this year. Instead we'll see Bozak allowed to walk, Grabovski kept on, and see how it goes with Colborne and Kadri. If we can have a middle that resembles Boston (50-70pt guys), we'll be set.

I can't see a D pairing without another defensively stead D. Every contender has a top quality shut down D. Phaneuf is great defensively, but needs someone to help him out. Gunnars isn't sufficient.
About the D, I see Rielly as being a bit less one dimensional gambler than Gardiner. In a dream scenario, Bourque vs Coffey. I think Riellly would be able to play with more different types of partners where Gards would need someone to be backing up his attack constantly. So Rielly could be effective with a Schenn type, a Gunnar type, or even a Franson type. They would be the attacking D in the top 2 pairings though, so the shutdown guy would a more conservative and much cheaper option than Dion. You just don't need that much attack in your top four, and the point generators, except for Suter, tend to be the most expensive defensemen in the league. It is a ridiculous luxury to carry four 40+ pt D in a cap environment, and with the emergence of Gardiner and Rielly coming shortly, that's where they will be.

I don't see Phaneuf as that great defensively, or at least I think they could get similar defense in a much cheaper package, and the other PMD they have and are developing make that doable. I am not suggesting he is dealt right away, but that he will be if Gards and Rielly become offensive producers.

I agree Gunnar is not the ideal fit for Dion. Not sure why because he has skills and doesn't do things that would put pressure on his partner, but he doesn't seem to fit with Dion. Perhaps Dion needs a pairing mate that hits a lot more, so he doesn't feel he has to. He seems to take himself out of the play too much backing up less physical partners.

Old
05-25-2013, 04:11 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The previous GM forced the Leafs to pay Connolly $4.75 mil and Komisarek $4.5 mil to play for the Marlies.

In context to that $4mil for Clarkson as a 3rd line NHLer on the Leafs isn't so bad after all.

However I personally would expect Clarkson to be among Leafs top 6, top 2 lines myself, and bring that much need element of grit to the top 6 that is missing presently.
I could see him spotted top six against the clubs where his aggressiveness would be most effective, and third line minutes otherwise. Do you think that could mean the end of Kulemin though? His scoring hasn't bounced back that much (yes better than Grabo but that doesn't make it good) and with Lupul on one Kadri wing, and Frattin a better scorer and cheaper, a Clarkson deal pushes him firmly down to McClement full time where his salary is on the high side, and where his production will dip a bit more not playing with NK at all. Colborne hasn't brought any offense year but he showed he can play physical if asked, and there might be others who could manage a few points beside McClement, at close to league minimum.

Old
05-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I could see him spotted top six against the clubs where his aggressiveness would be most effective, and third line minutes otherwise. Do you think that could mean the end of Kulemin though? His scoring hasn't bounced back that much (yes better than Grabo but that doesn't make it good) and with Lupul on one Kadri wing, and Frattin a better scorer and cheaper, a Clarkson deal pushes him firmly down to McClement full time where his salary is on the high side, and where his production will dip a bit more not playing with NK at all. Colborne hasn't brought any offense year but he showed he can play physical if asked, and there might be others who could manage a few points beside McClement, at close to league minimum.
I believe Kulemin and Frattin centered by Colborne next year could be an effect 3rd line.

Clarkson would push both wingers down to that position, and if your going to give Clarkson that kind of money you also have to give him the appropriate TOI/g to all him to earn it and validate the investment.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 05:19 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I believe Kulemin and Frattin centered by Colborne next year could be an effect 3rd line.

Clarkson would push both wingers down to that position, and if your going to give Clarkson that kind of money you also have to give him the appropriate TOI/g to all him to earn it and validate the investment.
This would make McClement into a true 4th line center with McClaren, Orr and Komarov beside him rather than the much more talented bunch he ran with this season. They would also need to cut his ice time to a more 4th line appropriate 10 minutes as he actually spent more time beside the 3rd line center Grabovski, then he did playing behind him. I am not sure Carlyle wants to use him this way because he had such a successful year. I would hope RC finds a way to give Colborne some minutes to develop but change will require success or things will go back to whatever he is familiar with. I am not opposed to McClement getting 15+ minutes a game but it would be at the expense of the #3 c. If you don't play, you don't get better.