HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dogs trim roster by 2

Old
10-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Dogs trim roster by 2

Jimmy Bonneau and Cory Urquhart.....goes to Cincinnati.

Groulx and Traverse join the Dogs!

27 players remaining (15 forwards, 9 d-men, 3 goalies)

http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/inde...isplay&nid=348

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Damn Urquhart...I was hoping that he was a late bloomer a la Ryder, but I'm losing hope quite fast now...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:28 PM
TroyM

No surprise on Bonneau, but I'm also disappointed to hear that about Urquhart. Such a big kid, but he doesn't play that way. He was great here in PEI, I expected him to make the AHL no problem along with Lambert and Lapierre. Lapierre was always the most underrated offensively of the Rocket trio, funny to see how their careers have turned out so far!

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Poor Urquhart... it's rare to see a pick flop that much, especially a second round. The guy can't even make the AHL cut after what, 3 pro seasons?

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Aubin still there and Urquhart already leaving when there's probably 2 more to be cut say it all. Though Aubin's possibility to play on the wings while Urquhart may not be able to, could have played a role. But I believe from what I heard from the Dogs commentators that Aubin was good so far.....

Well it's definately a big miss as far as Urquhart is concerned, it will go in the category of win some lose some I guess.....

Old
10-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Le depisteur

Urquhart, what a bad pick... I wanted O'Sullivan!

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Well I wanted O'Sulli too for having seen him play a couple of times. Didn't want Urquhart at all. But I remember hearing, but didn't see him at all, a lot of good comments about a certain Matt Carle.....the people that made the comments were dead on.....We will see his name more often very soon, starting with this year....

Old
10-04-2006, 02:41 PM
BORAT

Urquhart is 6'2 200 pounds and is a pretty good skater with good scoring skills !

He had a great opportunity to square off against Latendresse during training camp, I really thought he would !!!

But I think alot of people saw, someone who quickly lost interest into what he was doing, He wasn't physical, he wasn't an offensive threat, his skating lagged etc... etc...

What was left to do ... If I were him, I'd go to Europe, at least to play in a premier league, right now he is just not living up to his calling.

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:42 PM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Amazing player, although some people have been calling him a headcase !

why ?

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:42 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Patrick O'Sullivan???

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:43 PM
alexstream

LOL, so new comers Aubin, Grabovski, etc... are better than the guy we picked over Bergeron??

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Patrick O'Sullivan???
that's cause he can't prounounciate "Bergeron" so he just calls him O'sullivan.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
LOL, so new comers Aubin, Grabovski, etc... are better than the guy we picked over Bergeron??
As sad as it is, that's what you call somebody who already reached his ceiling while the others still have a lot of room to fill. But I also believe you can reach a higher level of ceiling when you play with passion, I've never ever saw in Urquhart even in Juniors. He racked his points on talent alone, not the first one, not the last either. Just a perfect copy of Éric Chouinard.....

Old
10-04-2006, 02:48 PM
HCH

Quote:
We also picked Kostsitsyn over Bergeron and Boston picked Stuart over Bergeron and every other team in the league passed on him at least once if not twice. What's your point? Should the Habs use your hindsight when making draft choices

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Duster

I was optimistic that Urquhart would, at last, justify his high selection this year. A shame...

Say what you will, Traverse is a good insurance policy. Gainey would not have plucked him off waivers if he didn't think he was better than Jancevski.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
Amazing player, although some people have been calling him a headcase !

why ?
In terms of talent, he was always highly regarded and was considered a first round pick. Teams did not want to risk taking O'Sullivan so high because of his troubled family history. Pretty nasty stuff...

Old
10-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Garo

Quote:
that's cause he can't prounounciate "Bergeron" so he just calls him O'sullivan.
Who really wanted Bergeron at the draft?

I'll probably pick him in the top 3 right now, but at the time he wasn't even supposed to go that early.

O'Sullivan was clearly saw as a top talent though

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Don't remember who I wanted in that 2nd round, but I do remember I loathed that Urquhart pick the second it was made. Hey Savard why'd you pick Urquhart? "Les mains... les mains... les mains..."

Did like the Lapierre pick quite a bit though and still do. So l'll concur with whoever said win some lose some.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 03:16 PM
turnbuckle*

Every team has second round busts - EVERY TEAM. We can spend our time bemoaning the fact that he hasn't turned out - neither has Linhart -but fact is we have more promising prospects from the top three rounds of the past six draft than most teams in the NHL.

Plekanec
Milroy
Perezhogin
Komisarek
Lapierre
Latendresse
Price
Higgins
Emelin
Kostitsyn
O'Byrne
Chipchura
Fischer
White
Maxwell
Carle

I'm happy with that group.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Who really wanted Bergeron at the draft?

I'll probably pick him in the top 3 right now, but at the time he wasn't even supposed to go that early.

O'Sullivan was clearly saw as a top talent though
Nobody. And that needs to stop at one point or another. I didn't want Urquhart like tons of others but I don't remember somebody even suggested Bergeron, nobody knew him, and I think I had him gone end of 3rd beginning of 4th.....Everybody in the NHL world are so surprised on how he developed, so we should never say we should have......Why don't we hear we should have with names like Datzyuk or Zetterberg???? Datsyuk was picked 171st, while we picked Bashkirov 132nd and Gordie Dwyer 152nd.....But we did manage to pick Markov at 162.....I've never heard any other team complaining about that.

You just can't complain about a player who all of sudden just skyrocketed in his development and this apply for Bergeron.

You can complain about a player who is suppose to be all that but wasn't pick for obscure reason, O'Sullivan might be one, Wolski might be another in his year.....and some can say Brule was another one as well. But I hope the other teams would cut some slack about Price VS Brule and begin analysing why the Wild took Pouliot instead of him of why the Ducks took Ryan......

Old
10-04-2006, 03:24 PM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
In terms of talent, he was always highly regarded and was considered a first round pick. Teams did not want to risk taking O'Sullivan so high because of his troubled family history. Pretty nasty stuff...
oh?

im curious now, what kind of family trouble??

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
Every team has second round busts - EVERY TEAM. We can spend our time bemoaning the fact that he hasn't turned out - neither has Linhart -but fact is we have more promising prospects from the top three rounds of the past six draft than most teams in the NHL.

Plekanec
Milroy
Perezhogin
Komisarek
Lapierre
Latendresse
Price
Higgins
Emelin
Kostitsyn
O'Byrne
Chipchura
Fischer
White
Maxwell
Carle

I'm happy with that group.
You're right. My problem is not the habitual 2nd round bust. It's not learning from our mistake. We heard, we're hearing and we will hear till the end of time how choosing Chouinard over Gagné was a mistake. Well it's not because you're not in the 1st round that you have the right to choose, in my opinion the exact replicata of Chouinard, tall lanky centerman, no grit, not the greatest work ethic, no real desire to perform, no real idea where your defensive zone is located but some talent and tons points to add to that. We should've learned and we didn't, that's my main concern. And the fact that we chose 4 players out of the same team, while only 1 of them might make it, makes me think that this group of scouts were a tad lazy and went the easy way....

Again, I pratically thought that it was the same story when I learned about Aubin, thought that he was another Chouiqhart our Urqhnard, you choose. But after seeing him at the Dev. camp, at the Pro camp this year and what he's doing with the Dogs so far, they did see an extra edge to the guy, some desire to perform and do well than the two others didn't have and I'm really glad to see this.

Old
10-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King © View Post
oh?

im curious now, what kind of family trouble??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_O'Sullivan

Old
10-04-2006, 03:36 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Poor Urquhart... it's rare to see a pick flop that much, especially a second round. The guy can't even make the AHL cut after what, 3 pro seasons?
What's sad is that many people in here called it up as a bust pick straight after the draft. In other words, it's not really a surprise that Urquhart didn't work out. What surprised is that Montreal had picked him in the 2nd round!

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 04:57 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I would expect more cuts since they have 9 defensemen if they bring Sanford back. Sucks that my 2nd favorite team has Traverse, really hope he doesn't play much. Jancevski, Benoit, Groulx, Traverse, Roy, O'Byrne I assume are the top 6. Archer should be ready in another week or two I'm guessing. Cote another couple weeks. Defense will get real crowded once both are back. Gleed I assume gets sent down once these guys are back. No word on what Dulac is up to since he hasn't been at Hamilton's camp, guess he's injured. Sanford perhaps they send him to Cincy, hope they let him come back.

Also I would think Desjardins gets sent down soon but I know that coach lever had some comments about Halak the other day, saying he didn't play well in the last 2 games.

I also wonder what will happen with some of the forwards. with Kostitsyn, Grabo, Locke, Chipchura, Lapierre, Manlow, Ferland, Milroy, the top 9 is almost set (don't know if Manlow or Grabo will be ready for friday nights game) Baines, D'Ago, Aubin, Lemieux, Stewart, Lambert, Stortini, will fight for the remaining spots but I would think a guy like Stewart would be better off in the ECHL playing a ton vs limited ice time.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote