HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Cup of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup of Hockey Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

So I am really starting to wonder about Canada's goaltending for the Olympics

Old
05-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
So I am really starting to wonder about Canada's goaltending for the Olympics

Alright, it's a long ways away but it has happened so rapidly that the best goalies in the world aren't Canadian anymore. Or at least not most of them anymore. There was a time when we took this for granted and assumed that Quebec was going to continue chiming out the great butterfly goalies but that has stopped cold. Poor showings from goalies at the World Juniors in the last 5 years, less NHL starting goalies that I can remember on NHL teams, and not a Vezina winner since 2008.

So a friend and I were talking about the Olympics. There is no doubt Canada is going to be stacked at forward again. When Eric Staal and Ryan Getzlaf are guys that are "on the bubble" you know you've got no issues. On defense, there is going to be some talented player not make it (maybe Subban gets left off) and we'll be stacked.

Now for the first time...............ever, I am searching far and wide for a definite list of goalies. Long ago it was a given that Brodeur, Joseph, Roy, Belfour, etc. were there. Brodeur has been the constant steady goalie for so long that we've forgotten life without him. Even in 2010 there was Brodeur, Luongo and Fleury. A solid group. A little bit of doubt from Luongo, but not the other two.

Things have changed a bit though. Luongo has dropped a bit since 2010, Fleury can certainly regain his old form but as of now he's on the bench in the postseason (as was Luongo for part of it). Price didn't look overly sharp in the playoffs either. Brodeur is simply just getting old. That leaves who? Cam Ward? Hey, nothing wrong with him at all, in fact, he would be a very steady presence in the net. You get the feeling he wouldn't screw it up especially behind that defense. But the other names mentioned all have some warts to them. Fleury and Luongo are spectacular when they are "on" but when they aren't, it's la-la land. Price is a bit like Ward I guess but still has never went deep in the postseason. It has come to the point where I don't think Brodeur is a terrible pick heading into 2014. He'll be almost 42 by then. But he's still steady enough.

You look at the rest of the NHL teams, and while there are still other Canadian goalies there aren't elite ones out there. I can't imagine them selecting James Reimer.

Anyway, is there a serious issue here, or is it overblown?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:20 PM
pcruz

I think that Luongo should be listened to. Reimer should start for Canada in Sochi.

Or maybe we convince Roy to come back for a short, fun tournament.

pcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:22 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Luongo, Reimer and Brodeur would be very solid choices imo. Luongo and Reim were great this season. Marty was also very good but the defense hung him out to dry so his numbers look bad. with a solid D core he would still be a good choice

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

I'd expect Price, Ward, and Luongo. Reimer is just a Leafs fanboy dream. At least for Sochi.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

It should be whichever of Ward/Price is the hot hand at the time.

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:33 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 126
You just know Hockey Canada will go with the more experienced guy and MAF may very well be that guy. Two of Holtby, Crawford, Price, Reimer may even get an invite which would be great experience

(yikes)

At the same time, what (now) looks like a position of weakness may very well turn out to be our saving grace. I'm confident we could catch lightning in a bottle with at least one of the following guys: Luongo, Ward, Price, Holtby, or Crawford.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Brewster

IMHO, Luongo is still the best option out there and he should, barring an unfortunate early 2013-2014 season, get the first start in Sochi. Price and Ward should be there too.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:39 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

The goalie situation is indeed worrisome.

I think they will go with Luongo and he is the experienced one. Watching Price's meltdown in the playoffs has left me with no confidence he should be the go to guy. I think he will be fine as the backup...but unless Luongo shows signs of shakiness once the tournament starts I do not want Price getting the #1 job.

Crawford, Ward, or Holtby will be fine as #3.

Hopefully not Fleury or Brodeur.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 08:40 PM
hlaverty06

Brodeur for symbolism!

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
The goalie situation is indeed worrisome.

I think they will go with Luongo and he is the experienced one. Watching Price's meltdown in the playoffs has left me with no confidence he should be the go to guy. I think he will be fine as the backup...but unless Luongo shows signs of shakiness once the tournament starts I do not want Price getting the #1 job.

Crawford, Ward, or Holtby will be fine as #3.

Hopefully not Fleury or Brodeur.
If Price goes there with confidence, then you shouldn't want anyone else in nets but him. By the same measure, if he goes there lacking confidence, you don't even want him as the number 3 goalie.

Like others, I'm not really confident in Price, Fleury, Reimer, Holtby. At this point in time I'd rather Ward be the starter.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:05 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If Price goes there with confidence, then you shouldn't want anyone else in nets but him. By the same measure, if he goes there lacking confidence, you don't even want him as the number 3 goalie.

Like others, I'm not really confident in Price, Fleury, Reimer, Holtby. At this point in time I'd rather Ward be the starter.
I would still want Luongo.

It should be his job unless he shows that he can't handle it...and knowing how Hockey Canada is, I think this is what will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Brodeur for symbolism!
What would the symbolism be?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:16 PM
MISC*

Luongo
Price
Smith

Reimer is never even discussed.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:20 PM
joe89

Smith was really good in the World Champs and his puck handling skills are even more dominant with the international rules. He was great last season and good this season.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:20 PM
radapex

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
You just know Hockey Canada will go with the more experienced guy and MAF may very well be that guy. Two of Holtby, Crawford, Price, Reimer may even get an invite which would be great experience

(yikes)

At the same time, what (now) looks like a position of weakness may very well turn out to be our saving grace. I'm confident we could catch lightning in a bottle with at least one of the following guys: Luongo, Ward, Price, Holtby, or Crawford.
Hockey Canada likes to have 2 returnees and a new guy, so I figure we'll see Luongo, Fleury, and Price.

Really, any of the ones you've listed are capable of starting for Team Canada - but none have shown the consistency that makes you say "they're definitely #1".

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

A confident Price (why he wasn't in the last stretch of the season and in the playoffs) is one of the top goalies in this league. He still has about half a season to get that confidence back. If he does so, Canada should not worry about goaltending for the Olympics.

If he doesn't... Our best bet would probably be Ward or Crawford. I'm more confident in Ward, personally.

Luongo cannot be left out of the discussion either. He's still a very good goalie.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:29 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

I wouldn't count Price out just now. He was bad in the last quarter of the season, but he also needed surgery, if I'm not mistaken.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:32 PM
nowhereman

It should be Luongo. He's been there before and is still a top 5-10 goaltender in the game.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Tendresse
Capitaine Gorges

Price's presence at Sotchi will depend directly on how he performs during the '13 season. If it's another mediocre season, I don't see how he would even be considered for the Olympics barring some spectacular string of injuries.

If Brodeur is still playing at that point, he should be a lock for #3 Goalie.

Cam Ward/Luongo/Reimer/Crawford should be considered for the other two spots.

Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:37 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
What would the symbolism be?
That Canada's goaltending well is looking pretty dry right now? We don't really have a clear-cut choice, but not in the good way America doesn't really have a clear-cut choice, more in the bad, pick your poison sort of way.

That said, there are some very decent goaltenders that do have big-game experience in high-pressure situations. Luongo will likely be a starter next season somewhere, and if he's playing well, he's totally the guy to go with. Ward or Price could be playing well too... in that case, they're a great substitute. We're not going to have the best goalie in the tournament, but it's not as bleak as it looks.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:41 PM
luongo321

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

They'll be fine.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:43 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post

(yikes)

lol, it def. won't be MAF. He's horrendous. Plays on an all-star team and still can't play average in the playoffs.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Luongo can still go out there and match any goaltender in the game. He got pushed out of Vancouver because of philosophical issues, not because he wasn't a good goaltender.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Eisen

With Ward/Price they will be fine for years to come IMHO. Sure, not Vezina winners, but still goalies more than capable of starting, especially considering the team in front of them internationally.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:01 PM
nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
Luongo can still go out there and match any goaltender in the game. He got pushed out of Vancouver because of philosophical issues, not because he wasn't a good goaltender.
Exactly, outside of Vancouver, the only teams where Luongo wouldn't be a number one are Los Angeles, New York, and Nashville.

I have absolutely no problems with Team Canada going into the tournament with him as their guy. Besides, any team with Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Toews, Giroux, Weber, Doughty, Letang, and Pietrangelo is still likely to win Gold, regardless of who's in net.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:15 PM
tntkid

Right now you have to go with Luongo, Price & Mike Smith.

MAF is way too shaky even though he is playing for an all star team.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote