HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

UFAs, trades, and potential buyouts this summer

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2013, 12:57 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
My dream summer is to get both Eriksson and Hornqvist. Tougher, meaner and more skilled.
I would trade Stone+ for Hornqvist. Such a great player. Young and a great contract.

Old
05-25-2013, 01:16 AM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure Hornqvist signed a 5 year contract extension in Smashville. Can't see them trading him away.

Old
05-25-2013, 01:20 AM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
I would absolutely sign Andre Benoit to a one way contract. He proved to me that he's an NHL caliber d-man. He's a perfect 6/7 guy who won't whine when he's out of the lineup and can play some serious minutes when we have injuries. This guy has paid his dues.
Agreed.

Old
05-25-2013, 01:32 AM
Ouroboros

vCash: 50
Getting a young (25-31), right handed, two-way defenseman to play with Cowen should be the main priority this summer. That can probably only come through trade.

We can upgrade our wingers internally over the next few seasons as guys like Stone, Noeson, Prince, Puempel mature. Beyond that there's still Hoffman, Schneider and Petersson as well. The succession plan on defense is substantially murkier.

Old
05-25-2013, 02:08 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

What's Hjalrmasson or whatever his name is, or are we not so keen on him now? Stone +?

Old
05-25-2013, 03:50 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
I would trade Stone+ for Hornqvist. Such a great player. Young and a great contract.
Young = inexperienced.

Old
05-25-2013, 08:09 AM
MtRundle
Shawville Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Getting a young (25-31), right handed, two-way defenseman to play with Cowen should be the main priority this summer. That can probably only come through trade.

We can upgrade our wingers internally over the next few seasons as guys like Stone, Noeson, Prince, Puempel mature. Beyond that there's still Hoffman, Schneider and Petersson as well. The succession plan on defense is substantially murkier.

There is no one who looks to be a # 1 winger for at least 3 years. Maybe Prince and thats about it. Need game breaker please. Before Spezza blows out his back again. We have tonnes of top 6/9, no top 3 except maybe Zibby.

Old
05-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Zillaege

Nathan Horton is #1 on my wish list this summer. This team desperately needs a shoot first type player and he fits the bill. Not a mean player, but he's 6'2 and 230 lbs and knows how to use it to create space for himself. He's been a consistent 25-30 g, 60 pt player playing with good players like Weiss and Krejci, but he's never had an opportunity to play with elite talent. Put him on Spezza's wing, and on a power play with Karlsson, and I think he can hit 35+ goals.

Boston has $10.5 in cap space this offseason with 16 players signed, and re-signing Rask and Ference will eat up pretty much all of that. I don't think they can afford to keep him. With the cap dropping, all the classic free agent destinations won't have the room to offer him very much, and we'll be in a unique situation to entice a top flight UFA. If we offer him $5.5-$6 per, can any team match that? Not to mention Ottawa is looking like a real competitive team going forward.

Old
05-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
My thoughts on offf season activities.

First thing Bryan will be doing is addressing his UFA and RFA players.

UFA:
Alfie ($4.875M)
Decision is all on Alfy. I think it is clear that Murray would want him back. Hopefully we do not have to wait long to know.

Gonchar ($5.5M)
Took some dumb penalties because he is slowing down, but brings a lot in leadership and helped on the back end when Karlsson went down. Personally I would bring him back if we cannot find a top 4 to replace him.

Latendresse ($2M)
I enjoyed him while here was here. Wish he was a little faster. A healthy scratch a little too often. I do not see us resigning him

Regin ($800K)
Bye Peter.

Lundin ($1.15M)
Bye Mike

Benoit ($650K)
Andre helped us out a lot when we lost both Cowen and Karlsson.
I would resign him as a 7th D, if someone offers him $1m +, I can see Murray letting him walk.

RFA

Condra ($650K)
To retain ($715K) Best Pk'er we had, will probably get $1.3m

Wiercioch ($875K cap actual salary $787K)
To retain ($826,875) Very happy with Patty, happy to keep.

Hoffman ($600K)
To retain ($660K). I would like to see what he can do at the higher level.

This is what the roster looks like without signings/resignings

FORWARDS
Cory Conacher ($0.925m) / Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Milan Michalek ($4.333m)
Mika Zibanejad ($1.744m) / Kyle Turris ($3.500m) / Jakob Silfverberg ($0.900m)
Colin Greening ($0.817m) / Zack Smith ($1.888m) / Chris Neil ($1.900m)
Matt Kassian ($0.575m) / Jean-Gabriel Pageau ($0.613m) /
Jim O'Brien ($0.638m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Marc Methot ($3.000m) / Erik Karlsson ($6.500m)
Jared Cowen ($1.265m) / Eric Gryba ($0.563m)
Chris Phillips ($3.083m) /
GOALTENDERS
Craig Anderson ($3.188m)
Robin Lehner ($0.870m)
OTHER
Buyout: Bobby Butler ($0.200m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $43,500,833; BONUSES: $1,275,000
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $22,074,167

Off season trade/signings

Interesting to see what Murray does.

Every year he says he wants to find a top 6. Will he be happy with Zibby and Silf stepping up? He will have to find another talent if Alfy decides not to return.

Draft.
According to MyNhldraft.com

The players around our spot are Alexander Wennberg (C) SWE, Curtis Lazar (C) CAN, Andre Burakovsky (LW) SWE.

Of Course things never work out the way you think. People move up, move down, draft Jankowski's etc.

Burakowsky would be a great pick up, but if we go the D route, Robert Hagg is a player that interests me the most late in the draft.

Glad we kept our first.

I look forward to see what happens.

Old
05-25-2013, 09:41 AM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

vCash: 50
The Alfie case is interesting. His cap hit was close to 5, but he was only paid 1 this past season due to his back diving contract. If he comes back, and we all hope he does, he will probably get 5. The cap issue is non existent for this team, but as we all know there is an internal real dollar cap based on what Eugene is willing to spend. His signing will not change the cap situation, but it may have a real impact on the contracts we can add during the off season.

Just food for thought. Alfie is still a better player than most of the UFAs out there, and trading for players costs assets, so having him is an upgrade over replacing him.

Old
05-25-2013, 09:42 AM
great1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
IMO we should go after Iginla. Guys still got a lot of talent.
He has heart but he has been invisible almost our whole series. I wouldn't mind picking him up though, maybe he would play better with a bigger role.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:08 AM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd give Iginla a 2 year deal at 7 mill.
I'd not resign Gonchar.
Would make the money ok

Michalek - Spezza - Iginla

Silf - Turris - Alfie/Pageau

Greening - Zibby - Condra

kassian - Smith - Neil

05-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Iginla won't ****ing sign with us.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:15 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillaege View Post
Nathan Horton is #1 on my wish list this summer. This team desperately needs a shoot first type player and he fits the bill. Not a mean player, but he's 6'2 and 230 lbs and knows how to use it to create space for himself. He's been a consistent 25-30 g, 60 pt player playing with good players like Weiss and Krejci, but he's never had an opportunity to play with elite talent. Put him on Spezza's wing, and on a power play with Karlsson, and I think he can hit 35+ goals.

Boston has $10.5 in cap space this offseason with 16 players signed, and re-signing Rask and Ference will eat up pretty much all of that. I don't think they can afford to keep him. With the cap dropping, all the classic free agent destinations won't have the room to offer him very much, and we'll be in a unique situation to entice a top flight UFA. If we offer him $5.5-$6 per, can any team match that? Not to mention Ottawa is looking like a real competitive team going forward.
I havent taken a look at who's available, but I'm with you on Horton. We need that shoot first type of guy. What are the chances he becomes available though? It seems in todays NHL not a lot of guys even hit free agency anymore. We'll have to do something via trade is my guess.

edit: Just looking around, what do people think of Pierre Marc Bouchard?

Last edited by PeterSidorkiewicz: 05-25-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old
05-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Zillaege

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I havent taken a look at who's available, but I'm with you on Horton. We need that shoot first type of guy. What are the chances he becomes available though? It seems in todays NHL not a lot of guys even hit free agency anymore. We'll have to do something via trade is my guess.

Boston is up really tight to the cap this summer. Tuuka Rask is basically looking at a UFA contract this summer. He only has a year left of RFA availability, so unless they're willing to give him a long term deal, I see him signing just a one year deal ala Parise and bolting next summer. Thats something Boston really can't afford to let happen, so they're probably looking at at least $6 million to sign him long term. If they let Ference and Jagr walk, this what their team looks like, without Horton:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / Patrice Bergeron ($5.000m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m)
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Tyler Seguin ($5.750m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m) / Rich Peverley ($3.250m)
Ryan Spooner ($0.870m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Shawn Thornton ($1.100m)
DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m)
Dennis Seidenberg ($3.250m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.567m)
Dougie Hamilton ($1.494m) / Torey Krug ($1.704m)
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($6.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,926,667; BONUSES: $1,822,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,195,833

That's only a 20 man roster, so that last $2.2 in cap space they'd have to save for call-ups/trade deadline. Horton is likely gonna cost at least $5 million per, so they need to free up $5 million in cap space essentially.

Their only real option would be to move Kelly and Peverley, and replace them with 4th line talent, but Boston doesn't strike me as the type of team that would go with such a top heavy roster. Not to mention, what team is gonna trade for a $3 million dollar 3rd liner, with the cap dropping by $6 million?

The math doesn't add up to me. I think their only realistic option is hope either Soderberg/Spooner can replace some of his production, and hope Seguin finally takes that big step forward. Otherwise they need to gut their depth to fit Horton in.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Zillaege

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post

As for Bouchard, he doesn't really bring anything we can't get from our youth IMO. It's been a long time since he was an impact player, so he's far from a guarantee. He's also really not much of a playmaker, and his lack of size concerns me. I'd really like to add a little more size/jam to our top 6 wings. I'm more interested in players like Clarkson, Clowe, and as I mentioned above, Horton.

Old
05-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Well the Ducks fans seem pretty confident that Ryan will be dealt

The fans seem to say they need either a second line centre or a good top 2 dman

One of them asked for Turris/Zib + Cowen/Methot

That's steep but Ryan is no slouch, we could really use a guy like him.

I wouldn't do the deal the guy proposed but there maybe something we could do: if Ryan is to be moved it might help that we have pieces Anaheim might need and the the GMs are related!

Work the connections Murray!

Old
05-25-2013, 12:54 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
I would absolutely sign Andre Benoit to a one way contract. He proved to me that he's an NHL caliber d-man. He's a perfect 6/7 guy who won't whine when he's out of the lineup and can play some serious minutes when we have injuries. This guy has paid his dues.
Agreed. I been on the Benny re-signed as a 7th D bandwagon for a while

Old
05-25-2013, 01:00 PM
mcnorth

I'd be very interested in Mason Raymond. Left side, skates. Younger UFA. Maybe on the upswing with a change of scenery and opportunity with Spezza or Turris as a pivot. Might actually be available.

Old
05-25-2013, 01:11 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Ryan is the most glorified 2nd line winger ever

Old
05-25-2013, 01:18 PM
newerabegins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
I'd be very interested in Mason Raymond. Left side, skates. Younger UFA. Maybe on the upswing with a change of scenery and opportunity with Spezza or Turris as a pivot. Might actually be available.
Not what we need IMO. He's just another player that would get lost among the Greenings, Conachers, etc. I know he's better than them but we need more of a game breaker.

Old
05-25-2013, 01:22 PM
mcnorth

I like Ryan a lot, but I think I'd prefer to spend the money on two pieces.

Plus, we'd have to give up a lot to get him. I was firmly on the OMG NASH!!! bandwagon last summer. I'm not as keen on Ryan now as maybe I once was, especially with the possibility of needing a couple of top sixers.

Some of those 2 to 4 million guys might be money better spent.

Raymond AND MacArthur > Ryan? I dunno. Worth considering though.

Old
05-25-2013, 01:23 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
Not what we need IMO. He's just another player that would get lost among the Greenings, Conachers, etc. I know he's better than them but we need more of a game breaker.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I just... those guys are rare. And hard to get.

Old
05-25-2013, 01:30 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. I just... those guys are rare. And hard to get.
Makes me sad we'll not be able get a true #1 winger for Spezza.

Old
05-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
If we're looking for a top line winger, I'd call Calgary and ask about Mike Cammalleri. They're selling, and he only has one year left on his contract.

Personally, I feel like he'd be perfect on Spezza's wing. Spezza needs a finisher. Cammalleri has a deadly one-timer, and Spezza could spot him for it. Same with Karlsson on the powerplay.

Closed Thread