HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League #5: 2013 Play-offs Edition!: Nucks fire AV, AVs hire Roy

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2013, 03:02 AM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
KP fired from hockey Canada. What a ****ing joke he is. May he fade away into oblivion and not return any time soon. Time to find a new career.

Old
05-25-2013, 03:07 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
KP fired from hockey Canada. What a ****ing joke he is. May he fade away into oblivion and not return any time soon. Time to find a new career.
He will be hired by the Oilers by the end of the week.

No worries.

Associate Head Scout.

Old
05-25-2013, 03:39 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Pens in 5.
Nicely done

Old
05-25-2013, 09:32 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Early whistle steals a goal from Chicago

Old
05-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Seriously the Hawks need to do something to break the Wings' will. A big, possibly questionable hit, be tougher or even step up and pound someone. The Wings are confident, but I still think, now sans Lidstrom and with younger players, their will could be broken if something dramatic were to happen to them.

Old
05-26-2013, 12:57 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 1m
The #canucks have been granted permission by the #Leafs to speak to Dallas Eakins about their head coaching vacancy

Old
05-26-2013, 02:33 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 1m
The #canucks have been granted permission by the #Leafs to speak to Dallas Eakins about their head coaching vacancy
He's been pretty successful with the Marlies. He deserves a crack at getting a big league job.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:00 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Good job Sharks!

Kings have won what 13 straight at home so you figure it's LAK moving on but come on Sharks...

Great, tough fought series.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:48 AM
40oz

I dont know if this has been posted, but the national post did a great write up on the guy who makes those incredible montages for CBC.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...yoff-montages/

Old
05-27-2013, 10:57 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Kevin Prendergast gets fired by HC.

Hahah i called that when he got hired. Hes horrible
Well what's to call most guys get fired eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I generally laugh at the conspiracy theories and butt hurt fans over bad reffing. But the incompitence is getting mighty suspicious.
I love the whole puck in off a skate. It's like Shanahan's suspensions. You just don't know what the call is going to be.

Old
05-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Corey Crawford is brutal.

Old
05-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Toydarian

Tough to win elimination playoff games when your goalie lets in goals like that.

Old
05-27-2013, 09:30 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Detroit's second goal is why I don't want the Oilers to hitch their cart to Dubnyk. If they ever fulfill their potential, they'll cover up his flaws in the regular season only to have him screw them when it matters most.

Old
05-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Go Hawks go!

Old
05-27-2013, 10:19 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

They got the penalty shot call right this time.

I bet Replacement disagrees with me though

Old
05-27-2013, 10:30 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

So I thought teams were supposed to deflate and quit trying when their goalie lets in a bad goal??

Last edited by nabob: 05-27-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old
05-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Cam98

we need to get Bryan Bickell!!

Old
05-28-2013, 02:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
They got the penalty shot call right this time.

I bet Replacement disagrees with me though
Of course, I detest PS goals in the playoffs. I thought it could've just been called a penalty.

Anyway goaltending wasn't too good in this game for both clubs.

Detroit was off today. Easily the worst game of the series they had played and even at that they outshot the Hawks. But the big concern was how often they broke down, were weak around their net and let guys have time and whacks right in the crease.

Not a good game for the Wings tonight. Thought that they were feeling some pressure in front of the home crowd.

Old
05-28-2013, 05:35 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Pretty cool write-up on the Detroit "dynasty" in the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle12147433/

I disagree with what they're indicating to be growing pains as a new generation takes over.

That dynasty started and ended with Lidstrom. Pav/Z are key reasons why the team is pseudo-competitive in the post-Lidstrom era, but there's a key set of changes occurring with them right now:

1) Reliance on Howard, a goalie, to be perhaps their MVP if they're having success. Extremely rare for Detroit to do that.

2) Shift from skilled puck-possession style of play to a more blue-collar dump-and-chase game (a la late-90's Oilers).

3) They are consistently being out-shot. It's congruent with point 2) that this happens, but also indicative that they're not creating offense the same way they used to anymore.

It's a different generation, a different style, and likely a different era of Red Wings hockey. I see Holland and co. trying to stick with the system of patiently turning prospects into established role players in Grand Rapids over many years before coming to the NHL, but as that team's success begins to fade, he may be forced to start debuting these players a bit early.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are the last of the A-level Red Wings "core" players. I don't see anyone in their current system (maybe Jarnkrok or Nyqvist if they're lucky) to replace them. In terms of B-level "core" players, they have Kronwall and Franzen who are both around 32/33 and should begin to fade over the next 5 years; potentially replaceable by Jarnkrok/Nyqvist/Tatar. Mrazek has legitimate potential to replace Howard. I don't have much hope for Kindl/B.Smith/Dekeyser becoming more than 2nd-pairing defenders. Perhaps a shot at #2 Dman for Dekeyser.

It's going to be a major loss in quality of talent as their older stars age. Maybe then Holland opens up the chequebook and starts buying talent. They've established a great set of heritage and tradition there, and it's likely a UFA target, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Old
05-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Pretty cool write-up on the Detroit "dynasty" in the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle12147433/

I disagree with what they're indicating to be growing pains as a new generation takes over.

That dynasty started and ended with Lidstrom. Pav/Z are key reasons why the team is pseudo-competitive in the post-Lidstrom era, but there's a key set of changes occurring with them right now:

1) Reliance on Howard, a goalie, to be perhaps their MVP if they're having success. Extremely rare for Detroit to do that.

2) Shift from skilled puck-possession style of play to a more blue-collar dump-and-chase game (a la late-90's Oilers).

3) They are consistently being out-shot. It's congruent with point 2) that this happens, but also indicative that they're not creating offense the same way they used to anymore.

It's a different generation, a different style, and likely a different era of Red Wings hockey. I see Holland and co. trying to stick with the system of patiently turning prospects into established role players in Grand Rapids over many years before coming to the NHL, but as that team's success begins to fade, he may be forced to start debuting these players a bit early.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are the last of the A-level Red Wings "core" players. I don't see anyone in their current system (maybe Jarnkrok or Nyqvist if they're lucky) to replace them. In terms of B-level "core" players, they have Kronwall and Franzen who are both around 32/33 and should begin to fade over the next 5 years; potentially replaceable by Jarnkrok/Nyqvist/Tatar. Mrazek has legitimate potential to replace Howard. I don't have much hope for Kindl/B.Smith/Dekeyser becoming more than 2nd-pairing defenders. Perhaps a shot at #2 Dman for Dekeyser.

It's going to be a major loss in quality of talent as their older stars age. Maybe then Holland opens up the chequebook and starts buying talent. They've established a great set of heritage and tradition there, and it's likely a UFA target, so it shouldn't be too difficult.
We know, we know. You can go if you want, we won't hold you back.

Old
05-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Toydarian

I think everyone recognizes, once Datsyuk and Zetterberg retire, DET will be a very different team. I don't think they will be amongst the elite and will struggle to make the playoffs season to season.

Sports and hockey are cyclical. It's been impressive Holland has been able to keep them at the top for so long, but a drop is inevitable. The real question (and demonstration of good management) is how long a team spends both at the top and at the bottom.

Last edited by Toydarian: 05-28-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old
05-28-2013, 07:40 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I think everyone recognizes, once Datsyuk and Zetterberg retire, DET will be a very different team. I don't think they will be amongst the elite and will struggle to make the playoffs season to season.

Sports and hockey are cyclical. It's been impressive Holland has been able to keep them at the top for so long, but a drop is inevitable. The real question (and demonstration of good management) is how long a team spends both at the top and at the bottom.
I totally agree. STL took a solid 6-7 years to rebound from their previous re-tooling post-lockout, but before then had a ridiculous playoff streak of like 25 straight years. To me that's a bit too long and too drastic of a "re-build" to be considered successful. In the process they lost a lot of fans too.

Boston had a 29-year streak leading up to 1996, and afterwards has been pseudo-sporadic with their streaks, and since then only missed the playoffs 3 times in the next 9 seasons as they "re-tooled". Since 2006 they've made the playoffs every year. That's why they have perhaps the biggest fan-base of any American team. That to me is the best indicator of NHL success, ability to re-tool and compete quickly once a dynasty collapses

Old
05-28-2013, 08:37 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Just reading above about all the long playoff streaks the other teams have had... I'm bored and just trying to remember what it's even like to watch the Oilers in the playoffs.

Everyone probably knows this... but when I think about it (and looked it up to verify)... other than the Cinderella run... the Oilers haven't won another single playoff series in the last 14 seasons(15 years because of the lost lockout year).

That's a hell of a long period of ineptness... if it weren't for that 1 run where they won 3 series... this team would be near legendary in its level of ineptness.

Again, I know we all know this as fans... but those that are questioning the "patience" of the fanbase really have to let that sink in... 15 years and only 1 decent run. Hard to be much more patient than that.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 05-28-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old
05-28-2013, 08:56 PM
#ualberta

My money is on the kings

Old
05-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Ferraro talks too much

Closed Thread