HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Don't The Habs Ever Get Any Credit?

Old
05-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Oh definitely. I guess I missed the *some players in your post. I say that as a fan making peanuts compared to a bottom rung player that I would prefer the exposure, but if I was already making my millions, I'm not so sure it would be the same. I'm sure there are still players who prefer to play in a hockey mad market, PK Subban seems like one of those guys who has the personality to embrace it for sure. Gorges seems to like it here ect ect.

The truth is we're just guessing here, we haven't really been considered a heavy favorite even in seasons we've excelled. I'd like to believe that if we build it, they will come, but I have some reservations. Players seem to love going to NY, I'm not sure why, their success hasn't been any better than ours.
The guys going to NYC go there because it's the big apple, that's it. Their results since winning the cup is pretty similar to ours actually, and their history isn't as rich as ours. Their city is one of the most popular in the world though, that's what is really attractive.

All I was saying is that it's not crazy to think the fanbase has an affect, good or bad, on where some players sign.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The guys going to NYC go there because it's the big apple, that's it. Their results since winning the cup is pretty similar to ours actually, and their history isn't as rich as ours. Their city is one of the most popular in the world though, that's what is really attractive.

All I was saying is that it's not crazy to think the fanbase has an affect, good or bad, on where some players sign.
They recently polled NHL players on a variety of questions, one asking in which city they'd prefer to play. Montreal was in the top five (maybe top three), as were most of the original-six teams. That represents all things being equal, naturally. Salary, management and team ranking are pretty important when it comes down to an actual contract. The good news is the Habs have taken a huge leap forward in status as a hot team with strong management. Finally, a prime UFA may want to come here.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:49 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Kriss. You really think that professional athletes care that much about the fans?

I cant believe that you are saying this so soon after the lockout. If the athletes really cared, they would have taken concessions and given in to the owners because they did not want to upset the fanbase.

But in reality, most hockey players are cordial, approachable, and are engaging with fans. Other than that, they play the sport for money.

Salary, management, coaching staff in that order with regard to where a player wants to play.

A city's fanbase ranks about 10 places behind "places to eat" and 100 places behind "quality of local women" to a professional athlete.

I cant believe that anyone would even think that a professional athlete cares about the fan who sits in the stands cheering one minute, sitting quietly for an hour or two and then boos when said player makes a mistake.

Fans are irrelevant with the exception of paying money for tickets, buying sweaters, food and beer in the arena.

If fans mattered, wouldnt you see the Canadiens players logging in over here and posting replies to our questions and if they really do think that DD is too small.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Darch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
A couple of reasons...

1. Historically, the Habs have eliminated many teams in 100 years of playoff history and have smashed the dreams of almost every Eastern fan base at one time or another. Look it up. Hockey fans remember the hurt.

2. Politics... Its easy for outside observers to dislike the politics and policies of Quebec, in general. And with very good reason too (won't go there, though).

True that Cherry gives Montreal credit on occasion.

Habs against the World!

Ps. Despite it all, the Canadiens fans number in the millions... spread far and wide.
In all honesty, you're only as good as what you've done lately. Considering how inept the Habs have been in the last 20 years, they have nothing on any other Canadian team.

Also, look at it from a neutral angle. The Quebec media is all Habs! Medias based in other areas will be biased towards their local teams. It's just the way it is. What ever boosts your viewership is what you will cater to.

Darch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:33 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darch View Post
In all honesty, you're only as good as what you've done lately. Considering how inept the Habs have been in the last 20 years, they have nothing on any other Canadian team.

Also, look at it from a neutral angle. The Quebec media is all Habs! Medias based in other areas will be biased towards their local teams. It's just the way it is. What ever boosts your viewership is what you will cater to.
Except the Toronto Maple "Laughs"

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 03:46 PM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Except the Toronto Maple "Laughs"
The reality is that the Leafs are not the Laffs anymore, have gotten better and are now a team to contend with. With the new division and Detroit, Boston, and Ottawa looking strong, that fourth playoff spot looks like it will be a dog fight between Montreal and Toronto. The Leafs know it and will be coming hard against Montreal. The Habs need to pick that up and not take them lightly anymore.

RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 03:51 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchweed View Post
The reality is that the Leafs are not the Laffs anymore, have gotten better and are now a team to contend with. With the new division and Detroit, Boston, and Ottawa looking strong, that fourth playoff spot looks like it will be a dog fight between Montreal and Toronto. The Leafs know it and will be coming hard against Montreal. The Habs need to pick that up and not take them lightly anymore.
Toronto hasn't really progressed all that much imo. They over achieved big time, their results didn't match their play. They were as bad as usual this year.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 03:56 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Let's see them make the playoffs in an 82-game season. Then I'll take them extremely seriously...

Old
05-24-2013, 05:15 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Ottawa and Detroit aren't playoff guarantees at all.

If Anderson plays at his career average and Karlsson still isn't back to normal then they'll be a playoff bubble team. Add in the possible Alfie retirement and the fact that their offense is already terrible and they're a big question mark.

The Wings have been great in the playoffs but don't forget that they barely even made the playoffs this year. Going far in the playoffs is no guarantee of success next year, just look at NJ.

And the Laffs? They're puck possession is terrible, playing that is a recipe for disaster in a full 82-game season.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Lshap

Hmmm... I hate the Leafs as much as any team, but they didn't 'overachieve' any more than we did. The Habs are a better team thanks to better offensive depth and (usually) better goaltending, but the Leafs are a legit playoff team now.

Ottawa is interesting. So much weight was carried by Anderson and Alfredsson. Will the former be the same guy next year? Will the latter retire? And is Karlsson last year's Norris winner, or this past month's defensive liability? A toss-up whether this team becomes division contenders or remain around 7th.

Boston's window as a contending team is rapidly closing. It actually closed this season, but they've been running on adrenaline since game-seven against Toronto. The Bruins looked very, very average through the entire season. They looked good for three games against NY and will probably win the series, but going further in the playoffs will be a miracle. Every remaining team is MUCH better.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 07:07 AM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Mediocre teams are not "respected", and deservedly so. Mediocre is not bad, but still not worth giving media time for. The era of the great Habs teams is long gone, with the players from those eras having all been retired for a long time now. Why should this team be propped up based not on any of their own merits but rather just because their predecessors were great is beyond me. I mean, you can't really talk about Patrick Roy winning yet another Cup because he isn't playing anymore.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 09:17 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Hmmm... I hate the Leafs as much as any team, but they didn't 'overachieve' any more than we did. The Habs are a better team thanks to better offensive depth and (usually) better goaltending, but the Leafs are a legit playoff team now.

Ottawa is interesting. So much weight was carried by Anderson and Alfredsson. Will the former be the same guy next year? Will the latter retire? And is Karlsson last year's Norris winner, or this past month's defensive liability? A toss-up whether this team becomes division contenders or remain around 7th.

Boston's window as a contending team is rapidly closing. It actually closed this season, but they've been running on adrenaline since game-seven against Toronto. The Bruins looked very, very average through the entire season. They looked good for three games against NY and will probably win the series, but going further in the playoffs will be a miracle. Every remaining team is MUCH better.
Leafs aren't a legit playoff team. And yes they overachieved just as much as we did this year. They were on of the worst teams in SA. They are TERRIBLE with the puck, they probably have one of the highest giveaways per game stat in the entire league.

They got in on the skin of Reimer's back essentially (outside of Kadri, Kessel, and Lupul). Does Kadri get 70 points in an 82-game season? Maybe, but time will tell.

Just watch the Nonis PC itself, he said EVERYONE is tradeable, but not everyone will be/can be. I think the same can be said for Montreal.

Ottawa's team is essentially half the AHL and half Karlsson, Spezza, Alfie, Michalek, Turris, Gonchar, Phillips, Latendresse (sucks), and Neil. They are going to be ahead of us I think for the next few years unless MB makes some fantastic moves or our prospects start developing pretty quick. Other than that, I think this is Boston's last year as real "Contenders" as they had a bad stretch like we did and almost lost in Game 7 to Toronto. Now, like you said, they're playing based on the fact that they're coming off a high from Round 1.

Detroit coming into the division next season should make things interesting. However, our team and the Leafs are not contenders yet or even a consistent playoff-making team. That, IMO, is the truth about those teams.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:44 AM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post

Couldn't be further from the truth, I fully expect the Leafs to miss out next year unless a serious roster shakeup takes place. The results from their play is unsustainable, they were bad this year.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote