HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's in and who's out next season?

Old
05-25-2013, 11:12 AM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
We'll probably let Gonchar, Regin, Lats and Lundin go

05-25-2013, 11:18 AM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsenz View Post
I really hope Ottawa packages Michalek and Cowen for a decent forward, IMO these two guys do more damage for the team than good.
Cowen's still not 100% on his recovery. Michalek I can see unloading, but Cowen isn't someone you give up on so soon.

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:25 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

If I'm Bryan Murray, I'm going into next season with:

Forwards: Spezza, Alfredsson (his choice, obviously), Turris, Michalek**, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Conacher, Neil, Pageau, Greening, Condra, Smith

Defense: Karlsson, Methot, Cowen, Phillips, Wiercioch, Gryba

Goalies: Anderson, Lehner

** I would trade Michalek only if he was part of a package to acquire a proven, top-end goal scorer, which this team clearly needs - perhaps Puempel and/or Stone could be part of that package (although I'm not crazy about parting with Stone)

Players I would let go:
Gonchar, Latendresse, Lundin, Regin

Players I`m indifferent about:
Benoit (UFA - maybe 8th dman), O`Brien, Kassian

Prospects I ain`t trading:
Noesen, Ceci

Off-season priorities:
1. Acquire proven goal scorer to play with Spezza
2. Acquire top 4 D (preferably who shoots right) to play on the 2nd pairing with Cowen
--> I think if those 2 pieces are added, you have a Cup contender next season.

And LOL at whomever suggested trading Lehner was an option - as if!!!!!!!!

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:31 AM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Huxtable View Post
And LOL at whomever suggested trading Lehner was an option - as if!!!!!!!!

If we have to make a trade to add, whomever we part with will be someone we thought was core. See: Foligno, Nick. Give to get. Deal from strength to address weakness.

Nobody wants to trade Lehner. No one says he's tradebait. To say it's impossible is to have your head firmly planted... in the sand. They traded Gretzky. Lehner is an option.

You know that, Theo.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Nizzy

Players I keep : Spezza Alfie Turris Karlsson Cowen Methot Greening Lehner Pageau
Zibby Silfverberg

Players coming Ceci Prince Puempel Stone Noesen

Trade bait ..most valuable Andy Milo Neil

Everyone else is upgradeable

Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:32 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

So why not just have a list of the roster as trade bait then? LOL

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Super Six
The Future has CLASS

Who are the realistic UFAs/players on the trade block that we would aim for? That can play with Spezz.

Super Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:36 AM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Huxtable View Post
So why not just have a list of the roster as trade bait then? LOL
Too much work. Here, I'll list the players with no trade clauses instead:

Spezza
Phillips (no movement until Jan. 2014/10 team list afterwards)
Karlsson (kicks in 2017)
Neil (modified)

Also: Come on. You respond to my post saying "no one says he's tradebait" with your post saying "why not list everyone as tradebait." Poor effort. I know it's the internet, but can we at least try?

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

I think this will be a relatively quiet offseason. On the whole, management has to feel they are on the right track and trying to rush things via UFA's or trading young players for aging ones doesn't make sense. We're not in a rush, and this will be a very good team next year regardless.

I think Alfie will retire, and Phillips will take the 'C', with Spezza and Karlsson taking the 'A's. Neil is also a possibility. But overall, some of the leaderships needs to start to be passed over to the younger core. I would predict management would prefer Karlsson take the 'C' in 2 years, with Spezza staying with an 'A'. Turris may also get an 'A', or possibly Cowen or Silf.

At forward, there is considerable depth, but much of it unproven, and if we lose Alfie and don't get a scoring forward, we might be one of the lower scoring teams again. Part of this depends on the development of guys like Silfverberg and Z-bad. If they score 15-20, we are probably going to struggle in the goals department. Trading Michalek doesn't make sense given he should be healthy and his scoring is really the only proven scorer we will have on the wing. His knee is a crap shoot, but hopefully the one year healthy - one year hurt trend continues for Milan, with next year being due for a healthy campaign.

I think Lats and Regin will be let go, while JOB has to be moved most likely, although having him in the press box next year for depth is an option given he can play wing or center. Kassian will also be there for depth, while many other Bingo guys will push some of our established 12.

On D, I don't think we'll be able to sign Gonchar, and I also think Lundin walks. I think they will consider strongly bringing back Benoit, and likely sign one more veteran. This will leave us with 9 d-men that are relatively ready to play in the NHL (which is what you need at least).

Overall, I think the team is more than likely to pass on a very poor UFA crop and go with the guys we have, then consider making a trade next year for a veteran or two mid-season when the sellers emerge, and once they have a chance to evaluate where this team is at on the blueline and in terms of scoring.

Last edited by Dr.Sens(e): 05-25-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
We need to give to get, and center and goal are our strongest positions. If the value is right, pretty much anyone is tradeable.
No, goal is not a position of strength anymore. With Bishop it was, yes. But now it isn't. If Andy and Lehner go down, we've got Lawson in the show, I am NOT ok with that. You do not trade Lehner unless you absolutely have to.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Six
The Future has CLASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
No, goal is not a position of strength anymore. With Bishop it was, yes. But now it isn't. If Andy and Lehner go down, we've got Lawson in the show, I am NOT ok with that. You do not trade Lehner unless you absolutely have to.
Yup, we're perfect in net right now, with a killer 1-2 tandem.

Honestly, outside of Regin and JOB, our center is set.

Super Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:57 AM
derriko

Hopefully we find out why JOB was missing for half the season now that its over. I wouldnt be surprised if there was an undisclosed injury, family problems, or something of the sort. Hes a bonafide NHL'er and while maybe not an everyday player, he shouldnt have been benched for like 25 straight games. Missing from the team pic also makes me believe this.

And to people wanting to trade Cowen, smh is all i have to say. He just came back from an injury from the second game of the season an comes back in the middle of the playoff race / playoffs.

Its like saying you want to trade Karlsson due to his post injury form (albeit to a much smaller scale obviously)

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Answer

We should really know a players strenghts n weakness. This year some of the players were just playing way out of their ROLLS and postions.

Core for next year, and going forward.

? = could be moved for a better deal
____ = need to be filled by UFA/trade
/ = fill from within

Michalek? - Spezza - ____(high-end talent is a must here)

Silfverberg - Turris - Alfredsson(assuming he is not retiring)

Zibanejab - Pageau -/

/ - / - Neil

3 spot should be fought amoung..

Greening
Condra
Smith
(make the roster or be traded)

Hoffman
Stone
(make the roster or bingo)

Traded or let-go list

Conacher
Regin
Latendresse

Defense

Karlsson - Methot
Cowen - ____
/ - Phillips

fighting for the remaining spot(s)

Gybra
Wierchioch

Extras

Benoit
Borowiechki

Traded or let-go list

Gonchar

Anderson? If and only there is a good deal, get it done.

Time for Lehner to shine.

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:02 PM
derriko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six View Post
Who are the realistic UFAs/players on the trade block that we would aim for? That can play with Spezz.
I like Fleischmann personally. Hes not a goal scorer really, but hes capable, and hes played with Weiss who is a poor mans Spezza so it wouldnt be a big change.

I dont think hes the 60 point winger he showed last year, but a solid veteran 50-55 point guy with the ability to do more is about as good as youre gonna get this off-season. Hes also in his prime and right around the same age as Spezza.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Alaskimo
Pesky Pesky...

What is going on here?? A young dman playing hurt looks uncomfortable and at times it causes him to make a bad play, a fact magnified when playing the top team in the east? What a bust! The goaltending future of our Organization? We're deep there, no need! We have lots of centers? Deal the best, most developed ones for star wingers while we sit and wait and hope on our other guys!

As long as Alfie and Gonch want to stay, they'll be signed. Alfie goes without saying, Gonchar brings so much experience and mobility to the back end, and he's great for our young guys coming up. JOB, unless part of a trade (but he isn't terribly valuable (sorry Jimmy!)) will stick around, he's got a year left, he plays center well enough, he's a good healthy scratch. Lats is gone, just not enough room to justify continuing the experiment. Regin is unfortunately done here, just hasn't found his step here, his window has long since closed, bye Peter. Hoffman will be resigned but I see him staying in Bingo, he needs to take a roster spot to end up here, I feel like Conacher is the guy he has to beat to end up here, otherwise he's S.O.L.. Condra is signed and kept in a heartbeat, he does everything right defensively. Lundin is gone, Patty stays, Benoit stays as hopefully a 7th or for Bingo. Da Costa I'd like resigned but I don't think he has a role beyond trade bait (even though I think he can and will become a top 6 center in the NHL). Boro is kept, no doubt, likely stays in Bingo though. Lawson will be held on to for now, until we can find something to replace him... Jessiman is already gone, Caporusso is done with the org., Dzuir and Cowick will be signed to a year depending on space... Ottawa will still have lots of cap to go after one of the rather slim FA pickings (so far)... Maybe a Stalberg, Raymond, or Fillpula. If both Alfie and Gonch are gone next year BM will go hard at FA because those are big holes that need to be filled... That's how I see it.

Greening - Spezza -Michalek
Pageau - Turris - Alfie
Conacher/Condra - Zibby - Silf
Conacher/Condra - Smith - Neil
JOB and Kassian

Methot - EK
Cowen - Gonch
Weircioch/Gryba - Phillips
Weircioch/Gryba/Benoit

Pageau will get a long look at camp on the wing, his effectiveness there will decide his fate for next year (Bingo or Ottawa, No way he's traded, the fans love him, I think the org. does too). Da Costa will be showcased in camp, maybe with callups too, as BM looks to use him as a bargaining chip. The 6 and 7 spot on D are up in the air, If Weircioch continues to add strength he ought to easily take the 6th spot and if he does, I think that means Benoit returns to Bingo. Greening is beginning to find his stride, it's in his hands but I think he will have a long career in the NHL, I hope it will be with Ottawa. I doubt Ottawa makes any big moves, BM looks happy with his team and it's potential. I think our biggest move would be moving up in the draft and that's iffy... I'd like to see Ottawa pick up a goal scorer, lots of playmakers and "200 foot with upside" guys, I'd like to see Ottawa get a shoot first kind of player, we'll see. Anyway that's my opinion haha.

EDIT: As for trading Lehner, as I said, NO WAY! BUT Driedger has apparently (haven't watched him) shown some real NHL upside. He could look real nice to teams looking for a goalie that can come in a few years down the road.

Last edited by Alaskimo: 05-25-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Alaskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Orr123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post

If we have to make a trade to add, whomever we part with will be someone we thought was core. See: Foligno, Nick. Give to get. Deal from strength to address weakness.

Nobody wants to trade Lehner. No one says he's tradebait. To say it's impossible is to have your head firmly planted... in the sand. They traded Gretzky. Lehner is an option.

You know that, Theo.
Comparing Foligno to Lehner... YIKES!!

Foligno is a COMPLETELY replaceable player.

Lehner of course is an option, but like a last resort option. I do NOT want a Price/Budaj duo, or a Reimer/Scrivens duo on our hands. Lehner may have things to learn, but he's an absolute asset that isn't easily replaceable. What other rookies/prospects out there are like Lehner that are easy to get?? I don't know totally, but I would wager its far easier to replace a player like Foligno, than a prosepct like Lehner.

Foligno was replaced by one of MANY prospects we already had. Just like trading away Bishop. We already had a replacement for a backup, and that is Lehner.

Unless the Sens were to get something that was UNHEARD of and a complete overpay, I would NOT trade Lehner.

On that note of Foligno, I want MORE Foligno type trades. That trade, I loved it when it happened, and I loved it all year. And I still love it! Its the perfect type of trade, IMO. You have a player, you don't need because you have prospects to fill that role he had (ie. Silf, Zibby, Stone, Pageau are all players that can fill that role Foligno gave), you give that player up, after a great season, for a player you need (ie. Methot... a defensive D man).

Last edited by Orr123: 05-25-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
I think it's mostly open season at camp. The more I look at our prospect list, the more I see some major trades coming. We've got way too many good young prospects, and no real options to transfer them into our lineup in the foreseeable future, since our team is already crazy young.

Guys I want to build around or refuse to trade:
Spezza, Condra, Neil, Alfie, Karlsson, Methot, Weir, Cowen, Zibby, Andy, Phillips

Undecided:
Stone, Noesen, Silf, Pageau, Puempel, Prince, Ceci, Vikstrand

Tradeable Players (Packaged to upgrade a roster spot, moved for picks or to move up in the draft):
Michalek, Turris, Greening, Smith, Conacher, Boro, Gryba, Lehner, JOB, Da Costa, Grant, Dziurzinsky, everyone else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtRundle View Post
NoTrades:
Alfie, Karls, Spezz, Turris, Greening, Pageau, Lehner, Andy, Neil, Zibanejad, Condra, Cowen, Gryba, Weircrotchety

Guys I would be willing to part with (if we get something good in return)
Michalek, Smith, Silfverberg, Peumpely,
You are each crazy for your own reasons.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:54 PM
benjiv1

IMO the team could have a completely different look next year.

If Alfredsson returns you have to believe the team will load up for a cup run, and as result some of our spare pieces will be moved.

What I would like to see heading into next season:

XXX-Spezza-Silfverberg
Michalek-Turris-Alfredsson
Conacher-Zibanejad-Jagr
Greening-Pageau-Condra

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-XXX
Phillips-Weircioch

Trade bait: Smith, Neil, 2014 1st

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:58 PM
newerabegins

Quote:
I think it's mostly open season at camp. The more I look at our prospect list, the more I see some major trades coming. We've got way too many good young prospects, and no real options to transfer them into our lineup in the foreseeable future, since our team is already crazy young.

Guys I want to build around or refuse to trade:
Spezza, Condra, Neil, Alfie, Karlsson, Methot, Weir, Cowen, Zibby, Andy, Phillips

Undecided:
Stone, Noesen, Silf, Pageau, Puempel, Prince, Ceci, Vikstrand

Tradeable Players (Packaged to upgrade a roster spot, moved for picks or to move up in the draft):
Michalek, Turris, Greening, Smith, Conacher, Boro, Gryba, Lehner, JOB, Da Costa, Grant, Dziurzinsky, everyone else
LOL that is a terrible list.

newerabegins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Berserker*

Let all the UFA;s except Alfie and possibly Benoit walk. Then trade Michalek, O'Brien, Condra and possibly Da Costa and Weircioch.

Normally I wouldn't have added Weircioch to this list, but with the coaching staff giving the likes of Gryba and Benoit playing time over him, it makes me wonder what the organization thinks of his future with this team. I would only trade him as part of a package for a first line player though. Seeing as Philly could use some help on defense I would offer Weircioch in a package for one of Simmonds, Voracek or Hartnell.

Aside from that, unless Da Costa is ready to make the jump next year, then we will be forced to trade him. He is the type of player that will be claimed on waivers. So if he isn't in the future plans then we could put him in a package for a decent return.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:09 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Why are some people trying to trade our goalies?!? You know Minnesota has managed to keep both their A-list goalies for a better part of a decade right?!? If Lehner and Anderson are cool with each other (which, from all accounts, they are), they could end up playing together til Andy decides to hang it up.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Don't trade Lehner. He'll be the starter when he proves he's better than Anderson.

On defense, Boro should get a strong look. Hard worker, physical with a mean streak. I would be a little surprised to see Gonchar back, but we also have nobody who's as good as he is right now.

It's going to be tough for Hoffman or Stone to make the team. I think it's safe to say Latendresse will be gone. Kassian will play once every few games when we play a tough team. But there's not a whole lot of open roster spots.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:12 PM
SpezDispenser

NEED TO ACQUIRE - Spezza - Michalek
Zibanejad - Turris - Alfredsson
Greening - Pageau - Silfverberg
Condra - Z.Smith - Neil

Extras: Conacher/JOB (will be dealt)

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - ??
Phillips - Gryba

Extras: Benoit, Wiercioch

Anderson
Lehner

Questions:

What do you give up for a top line winger?

Is Conacher going to fit in with this squad?

If Conacher makes the team, who leaves?

Will we re-sign Gonchar?

Will Alfie retire (doubt it personally)?

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
IMO the team could have a completely different look next year.

If Alfredsson returns you have to believe the team will load up for a cup run, and as result some of our spare pieces will be moved.

What I would like to see heading into next season:

XXX-Spezza-Silfverberg
Michalek-Turris-Alfredsson
Conacher-Zibanejad-Jagr
Greening-Pageau-Condra

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-XXX
Phillips-Weircioch

Trade bait: Smith, Neil, 2014 1st
That roster would likely have a lot of difficulties competing with some of the more physical teams in the playoffs.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Smitty26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Let all the UFA;s except Alfie and possibly Benoit walk. Then trade Michalek, O'Brien, Condra and possibly Da Costa and Weircioch.

Normally I wouldn't have added Weircioch to this list, but with the coaching staff giving the likes of Gryba and Benoit playing time over him, it makes me wonder what the organization thinks of his future with this team. I would only trade him as part of a package for a first line player though. Seeing as Philly could use some help on defense I would offer Weircioch in a package for one of Simmonds, Voracek or Hartnell.

Aside from that, unless Da Costa is ready to make the jump next year, then we will be forced to trade him. He is the type of player that will be claimed on waivers. So if he isn't in the future plans then we could put him in a package for a decent return.
ya no. condra is never getting traded.

Smitty26 is offline   Reply With Quote