HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's in and who's out next season?

Old
05-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Berserker*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty26 View Post
ya no. condra is never getting traded.
Yes he will. He isn't nearly the player this fan base tries to make him out to be. He's a smart penalty killer with good hustle. But at 26, he has basically reached his potential and doesn't offer much that isn't replaceable. We need to start to create more spaces for prospects like Stone, Hoffman, Noesen or potentially our first round pick this year and Condra is an expendable asset.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Smitty26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Yes he will. He isn't nearly the player this fan base tries to make him out to be. He's a smart penalty killer with good hustle. But at 26, he has basically reached his potential and doesn't offer much that isn't replaceable. We need to start to create more spaces for prospects like Stone, Hoffman, Noesen or potentially our first round pick this year and Condra is an expendable asset.
smh

Smitty26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Smitty26

name me one player on the team (other than a healthy EK) that has better possession numbers than erik condra. But yeah, our best possession player on a puck possession team, very expendable. good point.

Old
05-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Alaskimo
Pesky Pesky...

I agree that Condra stays, He's decent enough offensively, if he was as good offensively as he is defensively we wouldn't need a top line forward for a looooong time, guy is an absolute stud defensively and when it comes to keeping possession in the OZ. This team doesn't give up the second least goals against without him...

Alaskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Used to hate Condra, but he is a glue guy/solid role player. Keep him.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Legend Killer

Gonchar, Latendresse, Regin, Lundin gone....

Condra, Benoit stay...

Look to move Michalek + for a top 6 winger

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:47 PM
MAK19

People are finally seeing the light with Condra

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:49 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr123 View Post
Comparing Foligno to Lehner... YIKES!!
You really don't believe that's what I meant, do you? That I compared Foligno and Lehner as players. Come on Orr. Really?

I said there's a possibility that trades will happen, and the guys who depart will be considered core guys, for example the Foligno trade.

That what was said. That's what was meant.

Is this really the level we're going to work at here? This thread is making me nuts. People need to take a second to think about what people are saying, I really don't think what I've said has been that difficult to understand.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
I disagree with this. Condra is our best defensive forward and our best penalty-killer. The same penalty kill which ranked first in the league. He's speedy and can get the puck in the defensive zone and transition it up ice. His problem is his offensive IQ and lack of finishing.

Condra won't ever get a lot of money in the NHL. I think his offensive game can still round out a bit, but his real assets are his defensive game. He's a great energy player and great on a shutdown line.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:54 PM
mcnorth

One guy I find interesting is Zack Smith. He gets very mixed reviews and sometimes I think if he didn't fight... he'd be even more unpopular. The player he's made out to be is rarely the game he brings. I do wonder if Pageau rising, and JOB returning, and Cony has played some center, too, and DaCosta possibilities, makes Smith a guy whose stock may be as high as it's going to get and someone who is more valuable to another team.

Or he might just play LW.

But anyway, I wonder about Smith. Some nights I think we couldn't win without him, other nights I wonder why he's floating around looking so bored.

Old
05-25-2013, 01:54 PM
MAK19

Lehner is not going anywhere unless a franchise player is coming back. He's not getting traded.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:56 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Lehner is not going anywhere unless a franchise player is coming back. He's not getting traded.
Unless... a franchise player is coming back. In which case... he is. Gotcha. SO WE AGREE.

ffs

Old
05-25-2013, 01:59 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
Unless... a franchise player is coming back. In which case... he is. Gotcha. SO WE AGREE.

ffs
It's not an agreement. His point is that the possibility is too low.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
One guy I find interesting is Zack Smith. He gets very mixed reviews and sometimes I think if he didn't fight... he'd be even more unpopular. The player he's made out to be is rarely the game he brings. I do wonder if Pageau rising, and JOB returning, and Cony has played some center, too, and DaCosta possibilities, makes Smith a guy whose stock may be as high as it's going to get and someone who is more valuable to another team.

Or he might just play LW.

But anyway, I wonder about Smith. Some nights I think we couldn't win without him, other nights I wonder why he's floating around looking so bored.
Yeah... Smith is a tough one to figure out at times. There were stretches off last season where he looked like the best 3rd line C in the NHL. Then there are times where he looks like a marginal NHL player...

As with some of our other big bodies(Greening) I believe Zack needs to play aggressive to be usefull.... Cant just coast around. Needs to engage ppl physically. I wasnt a fan of him on LW during the playoffs but that may be where he ends up??

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 02:04 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
It's not an agreement. His point is that the possibility is too low.
Yeah, I'm done arguing about this. I don't want Lehner traded, I don't see many scenarios where he might be traded, I just think the possibility that he could be traded actually exists... But if you guys want to pretend it's impossible, well at this point I'm not wasting any more time defining words for you. Possible-Impossible-Likely-Unlikely-Probable-Improbable. Grade school stuff.

Old
05-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Alaskimo
Pesky Pesky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Yeah... Smith is a tough one to figure out at times. There were stretches off last season where he looked like the best 3rd line C in the NHL. Then there are times where he looks like a marginal NHL player...

As with some of our other big bodies(Greening) I believe Zack needs to play aggressive to be usefull.... Cant just coast around. Needs to engage ppl physically. I wasnt a fan of him on LW during the playoffs but that may be where he ends up??
Yeah, Smith's future on this team is as a 4th line center, I don't think Da Costa or Pageau take that from him, they don't that game, and he's beaten JOB thus far... he's good in his role but there's room to improve there and he'll need to keep working hard and up his game to keep his spot

Alaskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 02:17 PM
mcnorth

I can see Pageau as a fourth line center. Greening-Pageau-Condra as a fourth line is a nice shutdown line. Problem there is what do you do with Smith and Neil? This assumes Pageau plays at his current clip. A Reginesque dip means all bets are off and Smith is key once again.

With the scenario above, you figure then you have the Spezza line, the Turris line, and the Zibby line. Neil isn't playing RW on any of those lines. And is Smith playing LW on one? Can Smith play LW on the Turris line? Do we want him top six?

And then, with Greening-Pageau-Condra as fourth - where's the nasty?

Lots of useful parts but it's actually a really difficult puzzle to put together b/c of so many guys slotting in the same places. LW is a real weak area, especially if you are worried about Conacher's play/development. Maybe that just reflects my own left shot/right shot perspectives, but it's crazy how many right-hand shots we have.

Old
05-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
I disagree with this. Condra is our best defensive forward and our best penalty-killer. The same penalty kill which ranked first in the league. He's speedy and can get the puck in the defensive zone and transition it up ice. His problem is his offensive IQ and lack of finishing.

Condra won't ever get a lot of money in the NHL. I think his offensive game can still round out a bit, but his real assets are his defensive game. He's a great energy player and great on a shutdown line.
If Condra is the Senators best defensive forward, then why didn't MacLean ever use him to shutdown the opposition's first line?

Old
05-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
name me one player on the team (other than a healthy EK) that has better possession numbers than erik condra. But yeah, our best possession player on a puck possession team, very expendable. good point.
Regin had good corsi stats as well and MacLean didn't even play him for the majority of the second half of the season.These advanced metrics are a highly overrated statistic.

Old
05-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Dave Sparky Allison

What could we get for Michalek and our 1st round pick? Not saying I want to trade our first. Just curious as to what that package would get us.

Dave Sparky Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Smitty26

Quote:
If Condra is the Senators best defensive forward, then why didn't MacLean ever use him to shutdown the opposition's first line?
because he would rather have condra make other teams bottom lines look like pee wee players.

Old
05-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Smitty26

Quote:
Regin had good corsi stats as well and MacLean didn't even play him for the majority of the second half of the season.These advanced metrics are a highly overrated statistic.
fact is, when condra is on the ice, we are in the opponents zone, which means we cant get scored on. I dont see how that stat is overrated.

Old
05-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
because he would rather have condra make other teams bottom lines look like pee wee players.
And then still fail to score?

I highly doubt that is MacLean's strategy. If MacLean felt that Condra was the best defensive player, he would use him to shutdown the top lines of the opposition.

Old
05-25-2013, 02:53 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex View Post
What could we get for Michalek and our 1st round pick? Not saying I want to trade our first. Just curious as to what that package would get us.
Michalek and a 1st are contradictory pieces. One will help immediately, the other long term. You won't get someone better than Michalek because of his injury history, and Michalek probably doesn't have much value to a young team.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 02:56 PM
newerabegins

Quote:

That's a good question.

newerabegins is offline   Reply With Quote