HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's in and who's out next season?

Old
05-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Berserker*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty26 View Post
fact is, when condra is on the ice, we are in the opponents zone, which means we cant get scored on. I dont see how that stat is overrated.
And we have prospects like Stone and Noesen who could do something very similar (with likely slightly worse corsi stats) and could turn that into offensive production.

We don't need to keep around players just because they can keep the puck away from 4th liners and bottom pairing defenceman.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Smitty26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
And we have prospects like Stone and Noesen who could do something very similar (with likely slightly worse corsi stats) and could turn that into offensive production.

We don't need to keep around players just because they can keep the puck away from 4th liners and bottom pairing defenceman.
stone was a turnover machine in game 4. no thanks, hes not ready.

Smitty26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Smitty26

Quote:
And then still fail to score?

I highly doubt that is MacLean's strategy. If MacLean felt that Condra was the best defensive player, he would use him to shutdown the top lines of the opposition.
fail to score? correct me if im wrong, but wasnt our 4th line our most productive line in the playoffs? pageau condra and greening played many a shift vs the big guns of Pittsburgh. so youre kinda pulling statements out of your ass that have no validity to them.

Old
05-25-2013, 04:11 PM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

Wow. Condra was one of the best players for Ottawa this postseason and he's "easily replaceable"? Guys like that are irreplaceable; they're cheap, highly effective, and can be used in almost any situation. Man, some people are thick. You can't have a team with 20 goal scorers at every forward position, it doesn't work like that.

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 04:13 PM
robsenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
Cowen's still not 100% on his recovery. Michalek I can see unloading, but Cowen isn't someone you give up on so soon.

There is a lot of Logic in saying that, But seeing Cowen at 100% still is very unappealing. I felt the same about Meszaros when he was young, always pinching and making bonehead plays for no reason. Cowen looked like an ECHL player in the last series. Injured or not, he was terrible.

robsenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Alaskimo
Pesky Pesky...

Who has to turn pro this year/ who is turning pro this year? Noesen could come in, he's a shooter, could begin to develop to fill a need very well, but the only space I see on the RW is on the top line or if Alfie retires... Peumple could come in but is he ready? Ceci will likely be in Bingo... Who else is coming?

Alaskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 04:22 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Whoever blames Condra on anything just isn't a knowledgeable hockey fan. He has been arguably our most consistent player game in and game out for the past 2 seasons.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Whoever blames Condra on anything just isn't a knowledgeable hockey fan. He has been arguably our most consistent player game in and game out for the past 2 seasons.
He is the absolute perfect bottom 6, no nonsense, no maintenance, responsible winger...

Sure he isnt the most natural gifted scorer or a physical force but he does soo many things well...

He should 100% be back and id be shocked if he is not...

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 05:00 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
He is the absolute perfect bottom 6, no nonsense, no maintenance, responsible winger...

Sure he isnt the most natural gifted scorer or a physical force but he does soo many things well...

He should 100% be back and id be shocked if he is not...
Yup.

One of the Most consistent guys on our team.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 05:26 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
That roster would likely have a lot of difficulties competing with some of the more physical teams in the playoffs.
Being physical didn't help us against the Pens.

Also, I find teams need to "buy" into the being physical mentality to be effective, not just sprinkle a couple of hard nosed players throughout the lineup.

We need to be refocused on puck possesion. It's what got us to the dance this year.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 05:41 PM
MtRundle
Shawville Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskimo View Post
Who has to turn pro this year/ who is turning pro this year? Noesen could come in, he's a shooter, could begin to develop to fill a need very well, but the only space I see on the RW is on the top line or if Alfie retires... Peumple could come in but is he ready? Ceci will likely be in Bingo... Who else is coming?
Could come in and do what- play bottom 6 minutes? No way they slot in the top 2 lines. Id say they're in Bingo for the whole year and play a few games being called up. Maybe do a mini-Pageau but thats unlikely.

MtRundle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Alaskimo
Pesky Pesky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtRundle View Post
Could come in and do what- play bottom 6 minutes? No way they slot in the top 2 lines. Id say they're in Bingo for the whole year and play a few games being called up. Maybe do a mini-Pageau but thats unlikely.
That's what I'm saying, anybody think they'd actually be able to hold down a spot in the top six because I don't really see room or an effective role for them in the bottom 6. But Bingo is getting very crowded as well.... What's it going to look like down there?

Alaskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Larionov

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
What happened to JOB the last third of the season? So far down the depth chart he ceased to exist? Some sort of hush-hush injury?
I had the same question. O'Brien played well last year in the playoffs, and is a big rangy guy who skates well. I would have played him over Conacher is the Pittsburgh series. For whatever reason, he fell down the depth chart and into the dog house.

Gonchar will be interesting. The Sens will probably offer a one year deal, but if he can beat that elsewhere, as Carkner did, he'll go. Frankly, I think we will be outbid for Gonchar in free agency, and that's OK - we have Weircoch, and hopefully Ceci after a year in Bingo. (I think Ceci will be a very good NHL player after a year of getting tougher, mentally and physically. That will turn out to have been a steal of a pick.)

Another interesting question is who gets let go from Bingo. You are only allowed 50 NHL contracts, and our picks (Ceci, Noesen, Peumpel) will count next year. A few of our guys in Bingo will end up getting dumped. At some point in your mid 20s, you are who you are as a player, and if you haven't made the big team they are going to drop you for a new prospect. It's the Circle of Life.

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

One of the worst moves this season was trading Bishop for Conacher and a 4th.

I think he is one of the players who could be part of a package.

Our goaltending is strong so I don't see there being any change.

Without Gonchar our D will need another offensive threat and I don't see Weirioch being that player yet. We will need someone for the second powerplay.

At forward Silfverberg will get better and so will Pageau.

As for Jim, I think he must of mouthed of to the coach and he is being made an example of or he "dated" one of managements daughters. lol

I would be looking at trading with Edmonton for Eberle. They need depth and we gotz sum.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
We spend the entire history of the franchise looking for solid consistent goaltending, and missing that piece during cup runs. Now we have it, so lets trade some of it away from pieces that are much easier to come by.

Oiy.
It's this type of thinking that will keep this team from ever finding an elite winger to play alongside Spezza...

We need somebody who can fill that role, and we're not going to get it for scraps.

If I were offered Turris/Lehner+ to pick up a top-line winger, I'd do it.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

We desperately need a top line winger. Not top 6 but top line. Edit: If Alfredsson retires we also need someone clutch like Briere.

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Rumcajs

Condra is pretty great defensively but never scores I would keep him around for several more years. Its not like Condra costs alot of money.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 07:45 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Condra is one of the best PKers in the NHL. We'd be insane not to keep him.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

This thread got really silly really fast. I apologize for my part in that.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Being physical didn't help us against the Pens.

Also, I find teams need to "buy" into the being physical mentality to be effective, not just sprinkle a couple of hard nosed players throughout the lineup.

We need to be refocused on puck possesion. It's what got us to the dance this year.
Firstly, we weren't very physical against the Penguins. I would have to check the stats, but I am pretty sure that we only out hit the penguins substantially in one or two games; the rest of the games they either substantially out hit us or were equally as physical. If we would have been more consistent in terms of the physical element of the game, we would have performed better. We certainly weren't going to win that series by "out skilling" the penguins.

Secondly our biggest issue this series was that we were intimidated. Now, we weren't really intimidated in terms of the physical aspect of the game, we were intimidated by their skill. The whole roster was way too concerned about what the penguins might do to them and not what they would do to the penguins. We could barely make a pass all series and that wasn't due to lack of skill; we haven't plenty of skilled players in the lineup, they are just inexperienced.

Thirdly, it certainly helps having a handful of physical players in the lineup in order to establish a physical identity in the playoffs. It is much easier to play a physical game when you have players to lead the way. Your strategy of getting rid of Neil and Smith and then doing nothing to replace that lost physicality and toughness will damage the team more than it will help it.

Old
05-25-2013, 08:03 PM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

Quote:
Firstly, we weren't very physical against the Penguins. I would have to check the stats, but I am pretty sure that we only out hit the penguins substantially in one or two games; the rest of the games they either substantially out hit us or were equally as physical. If we would have been more consistent in terms of the physical element of the game, we would have performed better. We certainly weren't going to win that series by "out skilling" the penguins.

Secondly our biggest issue this series was that we were intimidated. Now, we weren't really intimidated in terms of the physical aspect of the game, we were intimidated by their skill. The whole roster was way too concerned about what the penguins might do to them and not what they would do to the penguins. We could barely make a pass all series and that wasn't due to lack of skill; we haven't plenty of skilled players in the lineup, they are just inexperienced.

Thirdly, it certainly helps having a handful of physical players in the lineup in order to establish a physical identity in the playoffs. It is much easier to play a physical game when you have players to lead the way. Your strategy of getting rid of Neil and Smith and then doing nothing to replace that lost physicality and toughness will damage the team more than it will help it.
I love a physical team as much as the next fan, but in the Pens series we took penalties for pressing our faces against the glass too hard. The Islanders played a high pressure game against the Pens and probably could have won if they had the level of goaltending we have. I think a physical team is great in the playoffs except when you are playing the pet team that is supposed to win it all. A high pressure team, like what Devils used to be during their cup runs (except without the boring hockey please) is probably the best recipe for success in the playoffs.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty26 View Post
fail to score? correct me if im wrong, but wasnt our 4th line our most productive line in the playoffs? pageau condra and greening played many a shift vs the big guns of Pittsburgh. so youre kinda pulling statements out of your ass that have no validity to them.
The majority of this season, MacLean didn't use Condra's line to shutdown the top line of the opposition. For a player that is supposedly the best defensive forward, he is rarely utilized in a shutdown role.

In regards to playing against the Penguins. Condra had chemistry with Pageau and Greening. Pageau was one of the best players in the playoffs and was arguably the best player all series against Montreal. Greening was arguably the best player all series against the Penguins. Due to that line having chemistry and being consistent, MacLean gave them more ice time. They weren't really used in a shutdown role, they were used to create energy (and because our other lines weren't performing very well against the Penguins) to create some offence.

Like you said before, Condra is generally played against the other teams bottom six. He basically helps prevent the players who have a hard time scoring, from scoring.

Old
05-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
I love a physical team as much as the next fan, but in the Pens series we took penalties for pressing our faces against the glass too hard. The Islanders played a high pressure game against the Pens and probably could have won if they had the level of goaltending we have. I think a physical team is great in the playoffs except when you are playing the pet team that is supposed to win it all. A high pressure team, like what Devils used to be during their cup runs (except without the boring hockey please) is probably the best recipe for success in the playoffs.
The officiating seemed pretty biased and was generally pretty poor. I can't remember the last time I have seen a playoff series so poorly officiated.

I guess we will see how the Bruins perform against the Penguins. They are a very physical team, but they also have a whole lot of skill. It will be interesting to see whether that is the right recipe to beat the Penguins. It certainly helped the Flyers last year; they really brought the physicality to the Penguins and it helped them get Malkin and Crosby off their games.

Old
05-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Smitty26

Quote:
The majority of this season, MacLean didn't use Condra's line to shutdown the top line of the opposition. For a player that is supposedly the best defensive forward, he is rarely utilized in a shutdown role.

In regards to playing against the Penguins. Condra had chemistry with Pageau and Greening. Pageau was one of the best players in the playoffs and was arguably the best player all series against Montreal. Greening was arguably the best player all series against the Penguins. Due to that line having chemistry and being consistent, MacLean gave them more ice time. They weren't really used in a shutdown role, they were used to create energy (and because our other lines weren't performing very well against the Penguins) to create some offence.

Like you said before, Condra is generally played against the other teams bottom six. He basically helps prevent the players who have a hard time scoring, from scoring.
keep in mind condra played the majority of the season with a ball and chain, in neil and smith, yet still had ridiculous possession numbers. that says a lot.

Old
05-25-2013, 09:50 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
I think it's mostly open season at camp. The more I look at our prospect list, the more I see some major trades coming. We've got way too many good young prospects, and no real options to transfer them into our lineup in the foreseeable future, since our team is already crazy young.

Guys I want to build around or refuse to trade:
Spezza, Condra, Neil, Alfie, Karlsson, Methot, Weir, Cowen, Zibby, Andy, Phillips

Undecided:
Stone, Noesen, Silf, Pageau, Puempel, Prince, Ceci, Vikstrand

Tradeable Players (Packaged to upgrade a roster spot, moved for picks or to move up in the draft):
Michalek, Turris, Greening, Smith, Conacher, Boro, Gryba, Lehner, JOB, Da Costa, Grant, Dziurzinsky, everyone else
Core includes Turris, Silf and Lehner. We just got Conacher, no need to trade him just yet either. Greening, no, Smith, not yet. Boro? WTF are you on?

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote