*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2013, 08:51 AM
Snippit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I too am happy the Knights did not advance,and only beat the 4th best team in the tourney,they will probably win it next yr after being gifted with hosting,afterall they have
shown an inability to win it on the road twice now,Windsor on the other hand wins 2 straight
Mem cups and are on an 8 game winning streak on the road in the tourney
London now 2-4 in their last 6 games at the Mem Cup,outscoring Saskatoon 9-3 in 2 of those games and being outscored 19-7 in the other 4 games
Their inability to score 5 on 5 in their last 2 tournament deciding games only 1 goal and that was last yr is the main reason for coming up short
Cant fault their goaltenders
IMO they had the hockey gods on their side vs Barrie not because they won,but a team with 2 of their top 3 forwards out,and 2 others Hall and Theoret playing at 50 per cent
in other words 4 of Barries top 5 against a healthy squad insert London,and a crossbar
with 2 minutes left,the hockey gods may have evened things up in Sask,though I thought the game vs Portland was fairly close territory wise and Portland had a top 6 player missing to boot
OHL championships are great but Mem Cups are greater if there were not there would no tears shed when losing then
Why is this on the Spits board? Post it on the Knights board if you want to talk London.

Like I've said many times....the 05 Knights team would have won the Memorial Cup anywhere. It was one of the best teams in junior. This year, they were the third best team at the tournament. They could have easily won last nights game, not that Portland didn't deserve it. As for Barrie...they gave us a heck of a run. But we had to come back from a 3-1 deficit, and we proved all year long that we were the best the OHL had to offer.

If you're comparing Windsor's 2 golden years against our past 2 years...obviously it's Windsor. Nobody ever disputed that. But if you compare the Knights franchise against the Windsor's franchise over the past 10 years... of course it's London. We've had great consistency, always stayed near the top of the league, been a competitive force almost every season.

Also, I prefer London's current position a lot better. They're set to make a lot of noise this year...they have the cup so they won't be afraid to add some D. I don't see (currently) Windsor being a force in the West. Obviously that can change in the off season.

Old
05-25-2013, 09:29 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
I too am happy the Knights did not advance,and only beat the 4th best team in the tourney,they will probably win it next yr after being gifted with hosting,afterall they have
shown an inability to win it on the road twice now,Windsor on the other hand wins 2 straight
Mem cups and are on an 8 game winning streak on the road in the tourney
Hang onto those memories HL...it's all you got right now. Rumour has it your Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup 3 times in a row once upon a time. Had to look that up though because nobody remembers what a team did that far in the past.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:07 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Hang onto those memories HL...it's all you got right now. Rumour has it your Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup 3 times in a row once upon a time. Had to look that up though because nobody remembers what a team did that far in the past.
CHL hockey fans 4-5 years from now won't remember who won the OHL this year. People will remember who won back to back Memorial Cups though. The meme should be next year the London Knights trying to avoid becoming the Buffalo Bills of the OHL instead of Cosentino saying the Knights are the Yankees of the OHL. Somebody should tell Sam the Yankees have won 1 WS in the past decade.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:11 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
Why is this on the Spits board? Post it on the Knights board if you want to talk London.

Also, I prefer London's current position a lot better. They're set to make a lot of noise this year...they have the cup so they won't be afraid to add some D. I don't see (currently) Windsor being a force in the West. Obviously that can change in the off season.
This is on the Spits board because this is the Spits board. If we wanted to troll the London board as you do here we would comment on the London board.
You do have the hosting gig thanks to WEE Davie BUT you don't have the Cup just yet you have to earn it.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:18 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
This is on the Spits board because this is the Spits board. If we wanted to troll the London board as you do here we would comment on the London board.
You do have the hosting gig thanks to WEE Davie BUT you don't have the Cup just yet you have to earn it.
With any luck London will have to face Portland again who returns Petan, Leipsic, Leier, DeLeo, DeChamplain, Pouliot, Bjorkstrand, Bittner, and a few others.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:19 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
CHL hockey fans 4-5 years from now won't remember who won the OHL this year. People will remember who won back to back Memorial Cups though. The meme should be next year the London Knights trying to avoid becoming the Buffalo Bills of the OHL instead of Cosentino saying the Knights are the Yankees of the OHL. Somebody should tell Sam the Yankees have won 1 WS in the past decade.
You are so right Rayzor nobody outside of London will remember the OHL wins 4 or 5 years from now
Somebody should tell Sam the Knights have won 1 Mem Cup in the past decade too

Old
05-25-2013, 01:56 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
You are so right Rayzor nobody outside of London will remember the OHL wins 4 or 5 years from now
Somebody should tell Sam the Knights have won 1 Mem Cup in the past decade too
No doubt. Winning the league just gets you a ticket into the dance. Why was Mark Hunter numb after hearing they are hosting the Memorial Cup & all the London fans willing to sell their first born to buy packages. Because the Memorial Cup is what it's all about.

Looked like Sam was going to cry after the game...

Portland made for a great "knight" but I'm pulling for Halifax in the final.

Old
05-25-2013, 02:03 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
Good summer? What are you talking about? You live in Windsor, Ontario. You have to live with that shame every day of your life.
Wrong, we can move. You're stuck with the shame of that ugly mug looking back at you in the mirror for life. boo yaa!!

Old
05-25-2013, 02:04 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Wrong, we can move. You're stuck with the shame of that ugly mug looking back at you in the mirror for life. boo yaa!!
good one lol

Old
05-25-2013, 02:08 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
No doubt. Winning the league just gets you a ticket into the dance. Why was Mark Hunter numb after hearing they are hosting the Memorial Cup & all the London fans willing to sell their first born to buy packages. Because the Memorial Cup is what it's all about.

Looked like Sam was going to cry after the game...

Portland made for a great "knight" but I'm pulling for Halifax in the final.
Have to agree with you on all counts,alot of London fans diminish the mem cup
win would rather just win or settle for a league championship that nobody but their fanbase will ever remember years down the road
Perhaps a third time will be a charm,or as they say 3rd time every time lol

Old
05-25-2013, 02:15 PM
krazy kanuck

- Some of these posts are way offside and some moderators should step in and delete some.

- Everything I hear out here suggests Portland got off light if anything.

- I expect Halifax will make easy work of Portland tomorrow. I hope they can keep it close though...it will be a long drive for a blowout!

Old
05-25-2013, 02:48 PM
punch1943

Trade Window/Questions/Clarifications

In the past the OHL has opened a trade window 3 or so days after the Memorial Cup.
I'm wondering if they will do so again this year. Since the Import Draft rules have allegedly been changed (no official confirmation anywhere) I wonder if that might affect the opening of the trade window.

2) If I understand correctly a player chosen in the 2nd round of the OHL draft can't be traded for 1 year. Anyone know if that would be 1 year from the date of the draft or from the start of the season?

3) Since the Spitfires haven't divulged the players who will be attending the mini-camp I wonder if anyone knows if they invite all past drafted players .....hoping some surprises might show...

Old
05-26-2013, 12:31 AM
StuCarterStats

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
In the past the OHL has opened a trade window 3 or so days after the Memorial Cup.
I'm wondering if they will do so again this year. Since the Import Draft rules have allegedly been changed (no official confirmation anywhere) I wonder if that might affect the opening of the trade window.

2) If I understand correctly a player chosen in the 2nd round of the OHL draft can't be traded for 1 year. Anyone know if that would be 1 year from the date of the draft or from the start of the season?

3) Since the Spitfires haven't divulged the players who will be attending the mini-camp I wonder if anyone knows if they invite all past drafted players .....hoping some surprises might show...
As far as I know the trade window reopens June 1 to the end of the month then closes again to August. I have not received a Mini Camp roster as of yet but am expected to do so soon.

Follow me on twitter @StuCarterStats

Old
05-26-2013, 12:35 AM
StuCarterStats

Stu Carter

I have been the Spitfires statistician for many years and currently also do Game Day Media Notes for Spitfires home games plus I am an official scorer in the OHL. Topics on HF Boards are very interesting indeed. I look forward to continuing doing so as a member. Of course I have to be careful what I say and how I say it. Believe me there are things I would love to say....lol. The best to all.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:45 AM
jughead42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuCarterStats View Post
I have been the Spitfires statistician for many years and currently also do Game Day Media Notes for Spitfires home games plus I am an official scorer in the OHL. Topics on HF Boards are very interesting indeed. I look forward to continuing doing so as a member. Of course I have to be careful what I say and how I say it. Believe me there are things I would love to say....lol. The best to all.

If the things you can't talk about can get the team sanctions, keep em to yourself. If the things you can't talk about should give us some hope for the future, then at least enlighten us as much as you can. Spill the beans nerd!

Old
05-26-2013, 07:56 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
- Some of these posts are way offside and some moderators should step in and delete some.

- Everything I hear out here suggests Portland got off light if anything.

- I expect Halifax will make easy work of Portland tomorrow. I hope they can keep it close though...it will be a long drive for a blowout!
If what I read in today's Toronto Star is correct I'd hate to think what your idea of heavy would be...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...osper_cox.html

It was in late November last year that WHL president Ron Robison announced the punishment against the Winterhawks for four years of alleged misdeeds. The team was fined $200,000. Head coach and GM Mike Johnston was suspended for the season and ordered to have nothing to do with the team.
Portland was not allowed to take part in the first five rounds of the recent WHL bantam draft, and won’t have a first-round pick in that draft for another four years.

Old
05-26-2013, 08:15 AM
punch1943

Memorial Cup Game today

Thousands of Canadians will be watching the Memorial Cup today as well as those members of the London Knights who aren't out on the links. I'm going with Portland in a close one 4-2.

Meanwhile back at the London Hunt and Country Club the celebrating has already started.....

http://t.co/dvFSTA9T4C

Old
05-26-2013, 08:21 AM
RayzorIsDull

Good for London winning 2 OHL titles in a row but I can't understand how they are happy with the way the season ended. Their team didn't beat either of the league champions. London fans consistently said Saskatoon was the weakest team and London beat them twice. They shouldn't be happy with their Memorial Cup performance.

Old
05-26-2013, 08:43 AM
hockeylegend11

Last game not withstanding may have been worst performance by an ohl team since plymouth in 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Good for London winning 2 OHL titles in a row but I can't understand how they are happy with the way the season ended. Their team didn't beat either of the league champions. London fans consistently said Saskatoon was the weakest team and London beat them twice. They shouldn't be happy with their Memorial Cup performance.

Old
05-26-2013, 08:46 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Last game not withstanding may have been worst performance by an ohl team since plymouth in 2007
Owen Sound in my opinion didn't represent all to well in 2011 either. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed...but it doesn't sting as bad as last year.

Old
05-26-2013, 08:47 AM
johnnydrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuCarterStats View Post

Hiya Stu.
Greetings from England..avid follower of the CHL leagues.
Is there any where that I can view "extended stats" such as Hits, Blocked Shots, Time on Ice etc..?
Would love to get a better view on "whos who"
Many Thanks

Old
05-26-2013, 09:00 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Owen Sound in my opinion didn't represent all to well in 2011 either. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed...but it doesn't sting as bad as last year.
Perhaps both teams London and Owen Sd have nothing left after their respective
playoffs if i am not mistaken both had to endure 7 game series in their league finals

Old
05-26-2013, 09:06 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Perhaps both teams London and Owen Sd have nothing left after their respective
playoffs if i am not mistaken both had to endure 7 game series in their league finals
I really think London had to go to the well one too many times against Barrie and were just whooped. That was a tough series physically and mentally. I think they were just out of gas in both tanks. Same could be said for the Attack in 2011. Those were rough trips to the Memorial Cup.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:13 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
I really think London had to go to the well one too many times against Barrie and were just whooped. That was a tough series physically and mentally. I think they were just out of gas in both tanks. Same could be said for the Attack in 2011. Those were rough trips to the Memorial Cup.
back to back losses for the knights .....we still got back to back wins ....nuff said .hey rumor going around is kerby wants out and warren is looking to go back to phoenix
golf course rumors ,wedding season starting lots of loose lips after a few martini's

Old
05-26-2013, 10:19 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
back to back losses for the knights .....we still got back to back wins ....nuff said .hey rumor going around is kerby wants out and warren is looking to go back to phoenix
golf course rumors ,wedding season starting lots of loose lips after a few martini's
Congrats on the back to back Championships and your success 3 and 4 years ago.

Closed Thread