HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

York-MYP so far

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2004, 10:24 PM
The Rage

vCash: 500
York-MVP so far

I think York has clearly been our MVP so far. He leads the team in goals (12), assissts (16) and, of course, points (28). I think he has easily been our MVP. Anyone think otherwise?

Last edited by The Rage: 01-04-2004 at 05:18 PM.
Old
01-02-2004, 10:29 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
I would have said that the only two players that could have even challenged York were Smith and Reasoner but both went down with injuries.

Old
01-02-2004, 10:31 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I think York has clearly been our MVP so far. He leads the team in goals (12), assissts (16) and, of course, points (28). I think he has easily been our MVP. Anyone think otherwise?
By far. Lately, it looks like York is the only one who cares anymore. On the other hand, it depends how you look at the oilers season this year. If you are gunning for a sweet spot in the lottery for the draft, York is the furthest thing from an MVP.

I would have to give Salo the nod for MVP if that is the case. He has proven he is still the same sieve that will not only refuse to stop pucks, but will end playoff series by knocking them into his own net that he was last year. His squirming 'style' just looks like he is guessing all the time; maybe he finds it effective, but to me it just looks like an old man ready to kick back with his latest edition of TV guide.

Old
01-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
By far. Lately, it looks like York is the only one who cares anymore. On the other hand, it depends how you look at the oilers season this year. If you are gunning for a sweet spot in the lottery for the draft, York is the furthest thing from an MVP.

I would have to give Salo the nod for MVP if that is the case. He has proven he is still the same sieve that will not only refuse to stop pucks, but will end playoff series by knocking them into his own net that he was last year. His squirming 'style' just looks like he is guessing all the time; maybe he finds it effective, but to me it just looks like an old man ready to kick back with his latest edition of TV guide.
Desperate flayling fish like motions, sounds like a guy named "The Dominator", let's just hope Salo is as successful. IMO, Salo has been sharp lately though. In his last 5 games, I dont think he's given up more than 2 goals in any given game; and thats with a consitently shakey looking defense infront of him who hand out so many turnovers, they should work at a bakery.

Old
01-03-2004, 12:34 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Yorkie mos-def deserves the MVP at this point, that could change throughout the course of the season though. For pockets in the season, there were guys who deserved it just as much. Reasoner before the injury, Conklin when Salo got hurt, J. Smith, arguments can also be made for E. Brewer right now, also Dvo has been the guy setting up Yorkie on the regular, he's been as consistent as York has, and has overcome some obstacles in his family life with his baby, and Moreau has also played with his heart on his sleeve all year.

So...

Reasoner (can be MVP id he comes back and plays like he can)
Conklin (held the fort when he was needed, but wont get enough games here on in to make an impact)
Smith (Has history on his side, since most winners of this award usually leave Edmonton in the summer.)
Brewer (If he plays like hes played the last 2 weeks, he can contend)
Dvorak (model of consitency, does it all)
Moreau (see Dvorak)
York (see Dvorak)

right now my vote goes to York, with honorable mention to Moreau, Smith and Dvorak.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:22 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

no doubt in my mind that york is our mvp. this guy is not a quitter and works his butt off each and every night. other than smith not including reasoner, york is one of the few players who has played consistently throughout the current season.
heres to you york.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
no doubt in my mind that york is our mvp. this guy is not a quitter and works his butt off each and every night. other than smith not including reasoner, york is one of the few players who has played consistently throughout the current season.
heres to you york.
Totally agree. If the Oilers were filled with Yorks, Moreaus and Staioses, they would be unstoppable.

York for MVP

Old
01-04-2004, 01:00 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I really think Reasoner would have been considered our MVP or right tight with York if he wasn't hurt. I mean look at Moreau's numbers since Marty went down. He got five points in the first five games he went down, but it catches up to a guy, and he hasn't got a point since.

Old
01-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Lowetide

This team has really missed Reasoner, no doubt. With him out of the race, it's really between York and Staios, and imo York has been the better player over the first half. Torres has been up and down, but certainly deserves a mention.

Hidden deep in the bowels of this season are some splendid performances by rookies Bergeron, Conklin and Stoll. (I know Conklin isn't a rookie, but this is his first full season, right?)

Old
01-04-2004, 01:50 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
This team has really missed Reasoner, no doubt. With him out of the race, it's really between York and Staios, and imo York has been the better player over the first half. Torres has been up and down, but certainly deserves a mention.

Hidden deep in the bowels of this season are some splendid performances by rookies Bergeron, Conklin and Stoll. (I know Conklin isn't a rookie, but this is his first full season, right?)
Staios before Smith? I think Smith has played better then Staios.

Old
01-04-2004, 01:53 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Staios before Smith? I think Smith has played better then Staios.
I'd agree. Smith has "quietly" had an absolutely outstanding year. I say quietly, because his success has been overshadowed by the horrendous play of the Oilers so far, especially the poor play of the defence.

Old
01-04-2004, 04:41 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I'd agree. Smith has "quietly" had an absolutely outstanding year. I say quietly, because his success has been overshadowed by the horrendous play of the Oilers so far, especially the poor play of the defence.
exactly, when you are among league leaders in plus minus and you play on a team with the record and the numbers the Oilers have, it's pretty impressive.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Walsher

York without a doubt!

Old
01-04-2004, 05:19 PM
The Rage

I just realized I had MYP written in the title this whole time. How come nobody told me !?! Lol, that was a little embarassing.

Closed Thread