HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rookies in NHL vs Habs.

Old
05-26-2013, 03:11 AM
25get

vCash: 50
Rookies in NHL vs Habs.

I went through the rookies for every team.
Seems to me that a few teams were able to bring a great influx of rookies.

Among those I see:
Three teams were able to get in PO and the three others (Florida, Edmonton and Tampa Bay) are not so far and have many players in their pool.

All in all, seems to me the Habs did pretty good this season on the rookie side.
Diaz, Leblanc and Emelin were not so bad in 2011-12.
Subban, Eller, Desharnais, Weber and White were not bad either in 2010-11.

1) What team was able to bring the best prospects this season?
2) Where do we stand on bringing rookies next season?
Seems we did pretty good with: Diaz, Desharnais, Eller, Emelin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi, White, Weber.
I still believe Leblanc will recover from his "sophomore" season.

Usually, very few picks outside of top-5 make it in NHL the next year.
This season, 6 players from the 2012 picks played in NHL (only 2 players more than 25 games).

So looking at our current prospect pool, can we keep a flow of rookies to replace the following players in the next two years:
Gionta, Markov, Armstrong, Nokelainen, Ryder, etc?

For next season, I see interesting prospects:
Kristo, Hudon, Leblanc, Bournival, Holland, Dietz, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Nygren, Dumont, Blunden, Ellis, Thrower, Vail and a few others.

At this point, seems that Kristo should have a good shot at plating in NHL next season. I also think that Leblanc should bounce back. Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn are all very near to NHL level also.
Actually, Tinordi seems a lock for me next season (Lock means > 40 games).

3) Which other players are going to be able to have significant time (more than 20 games) in NHL next season?
This question is important because it could have an impact on the draft and on UFA hiring.
4) As an alternate question, can the Bulldogs make the PO next season?
We brought in a few players from the Dogs but despite that, the team ended the season much better.

Last edited by 25get: 05-26-2013 at 07:58 AM. Reason: adjustments to rookies list
25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Issacar

vCash: 500
I believe Leblanc will bounce back too, he suffered from an injury that takes a long time to recover from. Once Gallagher, Palushaj and Geoffrion where gone we were out of our top players in the AHL which doesn't help Louis's case either.

I don't think that Beaulieu will be ready for a permanent role in the NHL net season, but I wouldn,t be shy to call him up if injuries arrises.

Kristo will have a roster spot depending on if we retain Ryder or replace him through other means (UFA, trade, etc etc)

Hudon will stay in the Q's imo, if I'm not wrong he has one year left of junior eligibility.

I was not convinced by Pateryn, but he's a good depth player. If we have an injury he can play in the NHL, otherwise he is a core player for the Dogs.

Patrick Holland still needs to develop his game, I want him to be a more reliable player with teh Bulldogs before we give him a shot at the NHL. But in case of injury it c ould be interesting to see what he has to offer.

Michael Bournival, same has Holland.

Dumont could get a roster spot, it will all dépends on team philosophy, do we want a monster 4th line who can play playoff hockey? Or do we want to give a position to Dumont on that line? Otherwise, I'm not sure he has a roster spot at the moment, we are overstacked with 3rd line center and RW. Could be a trade bait.

Blunden is not physical enough (has a tendency to not finish his hits), and doesn't drop his gloves. If I'd keep him, it's only to play a big brotehr role in the AHL.

Darren Dietz, still eligible to play in the WHL (if I'm not mistaken), I'd keep him there.

Dalton THroweri s in the same boat.

Braddy Vail is in the same boat (if they are all CHL eligible).

Morgan Ellis, not sure where he is in his development, in case of injury it could be interesting to see where he is at and call him up, otehrwise I odn't think he is NHL ready.

Magnus Nygren, will have to wait at the camp to see how he fares, being the best defenseman in the SEL is one thing, but being reliable in the NHL through 82 games is entirely different.

Sébastian Collberg, I want to see how he fares at the camp, but my impression is that Kristo is ahead of him currently.

Last edited by Issacar: 05-26-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:52 AM
25get

So we are looking at Leblanc, Kristo and Beaulieu as potential players to get ice time in NHL next season.

Pateryn playing the role of a younger Drewiske.

Dietz is going to be 20 in July so keeping him in CHL would be as an overager.
Given Brisebois's comments, they will want him to play in AHL ASAP.

Edit: Forgot Nygren who looks near NHL.

Last edited by 25get: 05-26-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old
05-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
So we are looking at Leblanc, Kristo and Beaulieu as potential players to get ice time in NHL next season.

In Dietz case, it would depend, staying with teh Blazers would give him the opportunity to get more experience as a leader on his team. Something he would not get in the AHL.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:45 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:

agreed , Kristo is a lock for Ryder`s spot , he has 1 more year on his contract so it makes sense to see what he can do

Leblanc as a third liner why not , and Nathan may need another 20 games or so in the minors , but he will take over Markov

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Issacar

Beaulieu only needing 20 AHL games before being NHL ready is highly optimistic, imo. I don't see him being a reliable defenseman until 2-3 more seasons, maybe even longer.

I don't think it would be judicious to bring him too fast, Ryan O'Byrne is a prime example of a defenseman rushed too fast in the NHL.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Bunka Gurndeep

Leblanc as a third liner? Are you guys nuts?

Kid is a bust.

Bunka Gurndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:59 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:

Leblanc as a bottom 6 why not , Kristo is a lock IMO

He has 1 year left on his deal and we have to see what he can do before he becomes a free agent

Tonordi is a lock and Pateryn as a 7th is fine

Dietz will be a hab in the next 2 years , a solid workhorse Sidenberg type , great prospect on D and a steal

Old
05-26-2013, 02:04 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
Beaulieu only needing 20 AHL games before being NHL ready is highly optimistic, imo. I don't see him being a reliable defenseman until 2-3 more seasons, maybe even longer.

I don't think it would be judicious to bring him too fast, Ryan O'Byrne is a prime example of a defenseman rushed too fast in the NHL.
he will replace Markov after next season , he has great wheels and needs some time to play in his own zone

Markov has lost 2 steps folks and he cant be counted in an 82 game season anymore , he was worn out at 50 games this year and defensively was barely average , he was exposed in the playoffs .

great courage to come back but no way I would keep him after next year , our D is weak and needs an overhaul

Old
05-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunka Gurndeep View Post

Kid is a bust.
Based on what? A subpar season ridden by injuries and lack of top end talent to help him produce? That's a bad sample size to evaluate a player.

I think it'd be in Leblanc's interest to play in the AHL next season to get back in his groove, it would also give him the opportunity to develop chemistry with guys like Dumont, Holland and Bournival as examples.

Old
05-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
he will replace Markov after next season , he has great wheels and needs some time to play in his own zone

Markov has lost 2 steps folks and he cant be counted in an 82 game season anymore , he was worn out at 50 games this year and defensively was barely average , he was exposed in the playoffs .

great courage to come back but no way I would keep him after next year , our D is weak and needs an overhaul
Based on what? On a season where Markov was coming back from being sidelined for 2 years? That is a bad sample size. If our D is weak, it's not because of Markov.

Old
05-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunka Gurndeep View Post

Kid is a bust.
I'd give him one more season of injury free hockey before we write him off. I too am disappointed with what he has done since draft day, but he still has the potential to somewhat pan out into a top 9 forward.

Pricenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal961 View Post
I'd give him one more season of injury free hockey before we write him off. I too am disappointed with what he has done since draft day, but he still has the potential to somewhat pan out into a top 9 forward.
Disapointed with him so far?

He has one bad season since we drafted him and it's mostly due to circumstances that are out of his control. Can't really blame him.

I'd also give him more then one season... he's still pretty Young. Anyway, you got to have some players in Hamilton.

Old
05-26-2013, 02:53 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
Based on what? On a season where Markov was coming back from being sidelined for 2 years? That is a bad sample size. If our D is weak, it's not because of Markov.
Also Markov played 74 games this season compared to 73 in total in the three previous seasons.

He will train more this summer and I expect to see him come back with top performance.
He had a pace of 45 points this season. That's top-10 offense.

Old
05-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Issacar

Yeah, if you Watch his reaction after he felt on the bump with Eric Staal, his frustration overcame his pain and you could see that he was flustered about his knee dumping him down the curb.

His dedication to the team is undeniable imo.

Old
05-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Teufelsdreck

IMO Bruins Dman Torey Krug compares favorably with any of the Habs rookies. He devastated the Rangers.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
IMO Bruins Dman Torey Krug compares favorably with any of the Habs rookies. He devastated the Rangers.
Which leads me to Marc-André Gragnagni who had 7 points in 7 playoffs games back in 2011. Then struggled to get a roster spot on the Sabres then the Canucks. He know signed a contract in Sweden.

Torey Krug might not be the new Gragnagni, but saying he compares favorably with any of hte Habs prospect based on a 4-5 games sample is quite a mistake.

If Ference and Redden were not injured, you probably wouldn,t even know who is, I know I wouldn't...

Old
05-26-2013, 03:57 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
A small 5 game sample size doesn't compare favorably to anything.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
This.

Weber has done well in the PO against Boston....but no one is drooling over him right now either.

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Guilliam

I think some people are a bit over excited about Kristo. I like him too, but calling him a lock for Ryder's spot seems to be premature at this point. I do expect him to get some games as an injury replacement though.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 05:33 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

I don't think Leblanc is 100% bust. He might just need more time, it happens.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Remember how Chris Kreider was going to rule all our *****? ROY nomination lock?

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:54 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by talks to goalposts View Post
remember how chris kreider was going to rule all our *****? Roy nomination lock?
ainec

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:01 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nvm didn't click on links.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:30 AM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I think some people are a bit over excited about Kristo. I like him too, but calling him a lock for Ryder's spot seems to be premature at this point. I do expect him to get some games as an injury replacement though.
I think some people are overexcited about prospects in general.

News flash for you guys, just a few years ago, Chris Higgins and Mike Komisarek were supposed to be our leaders going forward...

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote