HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RR catch a break

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
RR catch a break

The Roadrunners ties Hamilton on a goal with no time left. The clock was at 0:00 and Hunter scored.

Anyways, it was a good game. Dan Smith is gonna be a good steady d-man.

Salmaleinen was awsome. I think the only thing right now keeping him in TO was roster space in Edm. I mean, he's fast, he hussles all the time. Hopefully the next time he's called up it'll be for good.

Rita has a great shot but I find he's goes through stretches in a game where you don't notice him. I want to see him in Edm but he has top be more consistent.

With Lynch, Woywitka and Smith, our defense looks good in a few years. I don't remember the last time the Oilers brought along a good number of defensemen through their system.

Old
01-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Lowetide

Rita had a glorious chance to score in that game, DiCasmirro sent a bullet across the front of the net and Jani didn't get there in time.

Woywitka made a tremendous play in the second. He was solo battling two Bulldogs behind the net, got possession, took three big strides and then sent a beauty pass across the ice to his winger, hit the tape on the fly.

If he can do that consistently, he'll play in the NHL for a long time.

Old
01-03-2004, 02:10 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

In every game I watch Jani Rita, he misses simple plays, which is not good.

Ulanov, Woywitka, Smith, Salmelainen and others looked very solid. Valley is quite solid in the net. 49 saves......wow.

You see that play Bergeron made at the the end of the game to start the tying play? THAT is what smart players do. Instead of giving up on the play like most would, he hustled, grabbed the puck and turned, saw his guy and fired a hard pass that resulted in the corner scrum and they scored. He knew just what to do. Little things like that go a long way.

Old
01-03-2004, 02:22 PM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to McThome
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
In every game I watch Jani Rita, he misses simple plays, which is not good.

Ulanov, Woywitka, Smith, Salmelainen and others looked very solid. Valley is quite solid in the net. 49 saves......wow.

You see that play Bergeron made at the the end of the game to start the tying play? THAT is what smart players do. Instead of giving up on the play like most would, he hustled, grabbed the puck and turned, saw his guy and fired a hard pass that resulted in the corner scrum and they scored. He knew just what to do. Little things like that go a long way.
It's not like it's overly rare for a Dman to race back with that amount of time left on the board and throw a pass up the ice. I think you're giving him to much credit for that. I mean yes, he hussled and all that good and nice, but he again didn't look like a guy who would be on the verge of getting a call to me.

Old
01-03-2004, 02:27 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
It's not like it's overly rare for a Dman to race back with that amount of time left on the board and throw a pass up the ice. I think you're giving him to much credit for that. I mean yes, he hussled and all that good and nice, but he again didn't look like a guy who would be on the verge of getting a call to me.
It was a really good read, not a random throw, that's the difference and you could see it.

Anybody know what's going on with Sarno? Is he hurt? I haven't looked.

Old
01-03-2004, 02:33 PM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It was a really good read, not a random throw, that's the difference and you could see it.
Yes, it was a decent read, but he was lucky the Bulldogs were hauling ass once they got it out with that few seconds and kind of thought "hurray, we won". Do you think he looked like he deserves to be back up here? Going just by the game I'd say that Smith and Ulanov are much ahead of him.

Old
01-03-2004, 03:52 PM
momentai

Personally, Bergeron has looked absolutely downright awful in these past two games against St. Johns and Hamilton. For the life of me, I don't understand the need to make a pass into the middle of the ice with an opposing player nearby. Way too many giveaways that way.

Perezoghin really put a move on him today as well. I don't know if it's confidence or Bergeron just trying too much... but it's clear to see that he's struggling.

Old
01-03-2004, 05:15 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Valley is quite solid in the net. 49 saves......wow.
He made up for the game against the baby leafs where he gave up a 100 foot dump in... he has been <b>very</b> inconsistant this year.

Old
01-04-2004, 12:37 AM
GorillazXL

Saw the last two periods of the game and here were my thoughts:

Woywitka: Good steady defensive play, had the odd jump in the offensive zone, but lived up to his billing.

Salmo: A spark plug on every shift, has the intensity...even took Svitov who has 6" and 30lbs on him, down.... Would like to see him up with the big club.

Rita: Saw some nice plays, but not nearly as consistent as Salmo, atleast not in this game.

Valiquette: Made some pretty good saves

Bergeron: Good effort, carried the puck well, did cough up some turn overs though

Ulanov: Didn't dominate like a veteran should at the AHL level.

Baum: Didn't see much

Winchester: Didn't see much

Heinrich: His hands has gone really south, had a break away but pulled the trigger far too late.

GXL

Old
01-04-2004, 01:48 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Yes, it was a decent read, but he was lucky the Bulldogs were hauling ass once they got it out with that few seconds and kind of thought "hurray, we won". Do you think he looked like he deserves to be back up here? Going just by the game I'd say that Smith and Ulanov are much ahead of him.
He never deserved to be sent down, the guy was playing better than at least 3 of the roster d-men we have now. Part of the reason you're seeing what you are from him right now is due to the fact that MAB must lower in his mind what his teammates are capable of, and at first you get caught playing down to the level you're at, instead of excelling in it. Anyone who's been called up to and then sent back from a team, or been the victim of a late cut, knows how this works.

Nobody know anything about Sarno???

Must be interesting to be a guy like J.J. Hunter or Nate Dicasmirro or even a guy who's been in the bigs like Wright, how do you approach the AHL you think? Do guys like Hunter have the determination of a Fernando Pisani that one day they might actually make it and stick?

How bout Mike Henrich, you gotta wonder where this guy's confidence in his own scoring ability went. Perfect example on that breakaway, the guy he used to be buries that shelf, the guy he is now tries to slide the puck because he isn't confident enough in his ability to roof it. Sad.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:37 AM
Lowetide

Bergeron doesn't have the calm feet, but he works as hard as anyone in recent memory at correcting errors. Seriously, I have NEVER seen him give up on a play (does anyone remember Tom Poti's classic 'heavy sigh' after making bonehead plays?) even when he's made a mistake.

Ulanov looks like a guy from the crowd they gave a stick to and just sent out there.

I like Henrich, and he's certainly stepped it up this season. He's on pace for 10-12 goals this season on what is basically a rookie laden roster. I think there's still hope there.

Anyway, Loud Mouth, I believe Sarno was a healthy scratch, I know he was a couple of games ago.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:21 AM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Bergeron doesn't have the calm feet, but he works as hard as anyone in recent memory at correcting errors. Seriously, I have NEVER seen him give up on a play (does anyone remember Tom Poti's classic 'heavy sigh' after making bonehead plays?) even when he's made a mistake.
I like Bergeron, too, but the fact of the matter is, you can't be making those plays in the NHL because it will cost the team (especially this team, with our porous defensive game). Yes, effort and heart and grit are superb things to have in a player, but he needs to make better plays period. I hope he gets back up here soon, too, but only after he's regained some of his smarts in regards to decision making in the defensive zone.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka
I like Bergeron, too, but the fact of the matter is, you can't be making those plays in the NHL because it will cost the team (especially this team, with our porous defensive game). Yes, effort and heart and grit are superb things to have in a player, but he needs to make better plays period. I hope he gets back up here soon, too, but only after he's regained some of his smarts in regards to decision making in the defensive zone.

I agree he's no sure bet, and as a matter of fact his player type (I call it chaos dman) is my least favourite player type. He's always going to be a high risk/reward defender.

However, he has some things going for him. One of them is that he makes maximum effort to cover for his errors. Another is that he has tremendous desire. I never saw him give up on a play, or give less than full effort. He's also a wonderful passer, good skater and can shoot it.

A team needs balance. It's great that Brewer and Staios and Smith and Cross and Semenov can do the grunt stuff, and Ferguson makes the simple play, but sooner or later you've got to get the puck out of your end.

Old
01-04-2004, 11:15 AM
woody

Quote:
I like Henrich, and he's certainly stepped it up this season. He's on pace for 10-12 goals this season on what is basically a rookie laden roster. I think there's still hope there.

Anyway, Loud Mouth, I believe Sarno was a healthy scratch, I know he was a couple of games ago.
You have better hope for Henrich then I do. To have only 10 or 12 goals in your 4th year in the AHL too me is a complete bust.

And whats up with Sarno being a healthly stratch, is it poor attitude or just poor play?

Old
01-04-2004, 11:46 AM
hockeyaddict101

The only knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
The Roadrunners ties Hamilton on a goal with no time left. The clock was at 0:00 and Hunter scored.

Anyways, it was a good game. Dan Smith is gonna be a good steady d-man.

Salmaleinen was awsome. I think the only thing right now keeping him in TO was roster space in Edm. I mean, he's fast, he hussles all the time. Hopefully the next time he's called up it'll be for good.

Rita has a great shot but I find he's goes through stretches in a game where you don't notice him. I want to see him in Edm but he has top be more consistent.

With Lynch, Woywitka and Smith, our defense looks good in a few years. I don't remember the last time the Oilers brought along a good number of defensemen through their system.
I have on Salmelainen is that he gets knocked off the puck far to easily. I noticed it at training camp and exhibition and I noticed it yesterday. I believe that is the only thing that is keeping him from the NHL.

Even the announcers mentioned Rita's inconsistency yesterday. You can't float for games on end and hope to make the NHL, he plays in spurts and that isn't good enough.

Old
01-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
You have better hope for Henrich then I do. To have only 10 or 12 goals in your 4th year in the AHL too me is a complete bust.
I think Henrich's career was just about over a year ago, right? He played like 21 games in the AHL, then was loaned out? He scored 14 goals in his second AHL season, to get back there again would show some gumption imo.

How old is he now? 23? Still young enough to have a career.

Old
01-04-2004, 04:07 PM
alwaysbroke

Quote:
I think Henrich's career was just about over a year ago, right? He played like 21 games in the AHL, then was loaned out? He scored 14 goals in his second AHL season, to get back there again would show some gumption imo.

How old is he now? 23? Still young enough to have a career.

During Henrich's 2nd season, he attained most of his points early in the season while playing on the top line with Chimera and Swanson...then, an injury took him out of the line-up for some time. Pisani was given his spot, which he kept for the rest of that season and until he made the Oilers. When Henrich returned to the line-up, he was given limited ice...this was probably the beginning of the demise of Henrich's confidence. Had he been returned to the top line, he probably would have at the least doubled his goal total output for that year and presumably, be playing for the Oiler's now.
The following year, he was diagnosed with mono at training camp. When he recovered, he was given no ice in Hamilton, was banished to Sweden, then loaned to Hersey with again, limited ice. Two year's of limited development would explain why his confidence is low right now. I believe Oiler's would agree that Henrich was mishandled for those two years --- which explains why he was qualified.
This year, Ward has rewarded Henrich's hard work with ice time. Hard work and ice time are slowly translating into scoring opportunities...which will eventually, should translate into goals. All that is missing right now is confidence. Remember, Henrich was considered the most natural goal scorer in his draft year.
Incidently, Henrich played the last two games with the flu and I think missed the game against Chicago because of it.

Old
01-04-2004, 04:47 PM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbroke
During Henrich's 2nd season, he attained most of his points early in the season while playing on the top line with Chimera and Swanson...then, an injury took him out of the line-up for some time. Pisani was given his spot, which he kept for the rest of that season and until he made the Oilers. When Henrich returned to the line-up, he was given limited ice...this was probably the beginning of the demise of Henrich's confidence. Had he been returned to the top line, he probably would have at the least doubled his goal total output for that year and presumably, be playing for the Oiler's now.
The following year, he was diagnosed with mono at training camp. When he recovered, he was given no ice in Hamilton, was banished to Sweden, then loaned to Hersey with again, limited ice. Two year's of limited development would explain why his confidence is low right now. I believe Oiler's would agree that Henrich was mishandled for those two years --- which explains why he was qualified.
This year, Ward has rewarded Henrich's hard work with ice time. Hard work and ice time are slowly translating into scoring opportunities...which will eventually, should translate into goals. All that is missing right now is confidence. Remember, Henrich was considered the most natural goal scorer in his draft year.
Incidently, Henrich played the last two games with the flu and I think missed the game against Chicago because of it.
Ya, there are no doubts that he was handled poorly. I liked what I saw of him on TV and even before that I thought he looked ok at the Oilers training camp. I think that is part of the Oilers problem with developing players. Instead of trying to develop players as best they can so they can help the big team as quick and as much as possible, they do what is best for the road runners (or then Bulldogs) instead.

Old
01-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Instead of trying to develop players as best they can so they can help the big team as quick and as much as possible, they do what is best for the road runners (or then Bulldogs) instead.
Couldn't agree more. The Bulldogs were a black hole, especially for forwards. Chimera and Rita were victims of numbers games (read: Dan Cleary), but each season they'd send them back to Julien and the next fall they would have the same problems.

A steady succession of players have gone to our AHL team and stopped developing. Thank goodness Semenov only spent a season there.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:09 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. The Bulldogs were a black hole, especially for forwards. Chimera and Rita were victims of numbers games (read: Dan Cleary), but each season they'd send them back to Julien and the next fall they would have the same problems.

A steady succession of players have gone to our AHL team and stopped developing. Thank goodness Semenov only spent a season there.
I couldn't disagree more.

Unfortunately, the only thing most of you saw was a few exhibition games, and some training camps.

Chimera has progressed tremendously from his first season in Hamilton. He uses his size much more effectively, he is better defensively (he was really really bad for a while), and he has more confidence in his shot. These were all things he learned in Hamilton.

Rita's game has also improved. Minus a lull near the end of last year and the first little bit this year (which does happen with young players), Rita is a better two way player, and a much smarter offensive player than he was when he first went to Hamilton.

You guys are way off. The Oilers have developed guys well in the AHL. Unfortunately, not all of them were good to start with. It's fine to say Henrich got mishandled... but he wasn't. There were times when you could see what the Oilers saw in him, but there were other times where he just looked like a bad hockey player. Last season was looking to be a good year, maybe the year he made major strides. Unfortunately he got mono, and after he recovered (which wasn't until around December), it was felt that he would be best served to play somewhere that would give him lots of playing time. He wasn't going to get it in Hamilton, as they had a full roster.

Henrich has been a victim of both illness/injury and poor play... he hasn't been mishandled at all.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Chimera has progressed tremendously from his first season in Hamilton. He uses his size much more effectively, he is better defensively (he was really really bad for a while), and he has more confidence in his shot. These were all things he learned in Hamilton.

Rita's game has also improved. Minus a lull near the end of last year and the first little bit this year (which does happen with young players), Rita is a better two way player, and a much smarter offensive player than he was when he first went to Hamilton.

It's fine to say Henrich got mishandled... but he wasn't. There were times when you could see what the Oilers saw in him, but there were other times where he just looked like a bad hockey player.
Well, Chimera STILL isn't much defensively imo, so whatever they taught him didn't take. Rita's up and down like a yo-yo, which is probably more to do with him than anything, but he'll play his 200th AHL game this season so this defensive brew they have going must be on simmer.

I believe Henrich, at 23, should get a full season of pt in Toronto and then maybe get a shot in the NHL next fall.

I also believe that MANY AHL farm teams turn out better players than we do. MANY.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:33 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Well, Chimera STILL isn't much defensively imo, so whatever they taught him didn't take. Rita's up and down like a yo-yo, which is probably more to do with him than anything, but he'll play his 200th AHL game this season so this defensive brew they have going must be on simmer.

I believe Henrich, at 23, should get a full season of pt in Toronto and then maybe get a shot in the NHL next fall.

I also believe that MANY AHL farm teams turn out better players than we do. MANY.
You should have seen Chimera when he first started... it was horrifying. He is far and away a better defensive player than he was when he first started.

Rita's issues aren't his skill and ability (which have both improved)... it's his consistency.

Many teams also drafted better the past several seasons... look who the Oilers have on their farm... aside from Rita and Henrich, there has not been a single 1st round pick, and I beleive there may have only been 1 or 2 second round picks.

Look at the guys the Oilers have brought up... none of them were widely considered guys who could one day be NHL regulars (which is why they were 4th and 5th and 6th round picks).

Closed Thread