HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) III

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talik Sanis View Post
All I can think of when I see a hypothetical Regehr/Subban pairing is the following:

http://*******.com/nzv6vg3

Regehr's age and physically taxing style of play long ago caught up with him, reducing him to little more than a mediocre bottom pairing defenseman. Once, he might have been a solid partner for Subban given their complimentary styles of play, but now PK would have far greater difficulty carrying him than he does elevating Gorges or Markov who are, at this point, more or less second-pairing defensemen at even strength. Regehr is simply old and busted.
Regehr is still an effective #4-5 guy, he isn't the player he was 3-4 years ago but still and effective player that would help us now plus help the kids develop.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
What does Josh Morrissey have in common with Weber and Seabrook?
Morrissey plays a complete game like Seabrook does. Solid two-way defender.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Do you guys think we could get Edler for a decent price? He's big and physical. Cannucks fans aren't high on him lately, but he can turn it around.
Edler isn't what I'd call physical. Other than trying to take our Staal's knee he is a soft player.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
I'd give Bickell 3 million. We don't need DD nor Diaz. Both small and ineffective. Replace them with trades for bigger dmen. Markstromm is terrible. I would pick MacK as his powerful skating reminds me of Crosby. Having Eller move into Pleks spot in a few years and Galchenyuk and MacK as 1/2 we would be set down the middle. Of course we would need Florida to be desparate for Price so who knows. Can't hurt to ask.
Since when are Diaz and Desharnais not effective? You call Doaz small but want to trade the farm for a smaller player in MacKinnon.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Do you guys think we could get Edler for a decent price? He's big and physical. Cannucks fans aren't high on him lately, but he can turn it around.
I know our team is full of midgets, but 6'1 isn't overally big.

Secondly, Bieksa's cap hit is 4.6. I'm willing to bet we could get Regehr, or Murray for less than that and not have to give up any assets. I was a huge supporter Bieksa before, but not I don't really want him at all.

A guy that's oddly a pipe dream to acquire would be Jay Harrison from Carolina. He's great for the bottom pair and pk.

I'd also like to point out Bickell is proving more and more that we should get him, but also proving that he will be costly.

Pascal Dupuis is 34. I doubt he leaves Pittsburgh and I would not be surprised if he retires if the Pens win the cup.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:37 AM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
I'd give Bickell 3 million. We don't need DD nor Diaz. Both small and ineffective. Replace them with trades for bigger dmen. Markstromm is terrible. I would pick MacK as his powerful skating reminds me of Crosby. Having Eller move into Pleks spot in a few years and Galchenyuk and MacK as 1/2 we would be set down the middle. Of course we would need Florida to be desparate for Price so who knows. Can't hurt to ask.
Bickell at 3M? His best season is 37 points (34 ESP) and he did no SH TOI this season.
And DD with 60 points in 11-12 (40 ESP) is ineffective at 3.5?

BTW, Bickell may be big but he had 5 major penalties in the last three seasons. Assuming all of these are fights...

As for Diaz, he was good enough to be top-2 during the last 4 games of the Silver winning team.
Diaz compliments very well in top-4 with Tinordi, Emelin and Subban in 2014-15.
Tinordi-Subban
Diaz-Emelin
Gorges-Dietz
Diaz is OK at 5'11" and 200 lbs.

BTW, getting Bickell does not mean we should get rid of either DD nor Diaz.

Are we talking about the same Markstrom?
This guy is still very young (23 years old) and was able to keep a .901 with the horrible defense of the Panthers.
I do tend to remember that very tall goalies (6'6") take longer to develop.
He did better than Theodore and Clemmensen on both save% and gpg (3.22 is clearly better than the team 3.54).
Not so bad for a 23 years old goalie.

As for MacK, you can just forget him: he is going to FLA.
Do you really think that FLA would give up their second pick?
Their top centers are Goc, Shore, Bjustad and Matthias.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Bickell at 3M? His best season is 37 points (34 ESP) and he did no SH TOI this season.
And DD with 60 points in 11-12 (40 ESP) is ineffective at 3.5?

BTW, Bickell may be big but he had 5 major penalties in the last three seasons. Assuming all of these are fights...

As for Diaz, he was good enough to be top-2 during the last 4 games of the Silver winning team.
Diaz compliments very well in top-4 with Tinordi, Emelin and Subban in 2014-15.
Tinordi-Subban
Diaz-Emelin
Gorges-Dietz
Diaz is OK at 5'11" and 200 lbs.

BTW, getting Bickell does not mean we should get rid of either DD nor Diaz.

This guy is still very young (23 years old) and was able to keep a .901 with the horrible defense of the Panthers.
He did better than Theodore and Clemmensen on both save% and gpg (3.22 is clearly better than the team 3.54).

As for MacK, you can just forget him: he is going to FLA.
Do you really think that FLA would give up their second pick?
Their top centers are Goc, Shore, Bjustad and Matthias.
DD and Diaz are too soft. They take ice time away from players that deserve it. Only reason DD is on this team is because he is French. Not saying we could get the pick from Florida but I would certainly inquire. This team is going nowhere with all the small soft players.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Since when are Diaz and Desharnais not effective? You call Doaz small but want to trade the farm for a smaller player in MacKinnon.
There is a huge difference between a 6' dynamic centre than a 5'7" soft one. Pls take scout out of your moniker as you do not have a clue.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I think that you missed some of the conversation or you didn't read it all... the contract has absolutely no effect as we're talking in the event the Rangers buy him out. Richards then becomes a UFA.
I'd take B.Richards if he's bought out...BUT I wouldn't dump Pleks.
Maybe DD goes if B.Richards comes here?
Anyways...we don't really know what will happen to B.Richards...we shall wait.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
And Tinordi.
Almost forgot to add Tinordi!

Subban
Emelin
Gorges????? (I want the pre-big-contract-Gorges)
Tinordi
________
________
________

Markov and Diaz are good for the regular season if they can stay healthy (but they're not made for playoffs)...imo.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:30 AM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
Morrissey plays a complete game like Seabrook does. Solid two-way defender.
We have enough two-way defender at 6' - 175lbs in our pipeline.
Seabrook is 6'3" and 221lbs...

It took three years for Seabrook to be a top-2 d-men in CHI.
You think that Morrissey will be ahead of Tinordi, Ellis, Thrower, Nygren, Bennett, Beaulieu, Emelin, Diaz and Didier in three years?
So many complain about Diaz at 6' and 200 lbs...
Also, he did drop from 11th to 27th in NA skaters.

Dietz looks really good at 6'1" and 205 lbs.
If he is better than Tinordi, Dietz and Beaulieu in three years then we should pick him for sure.

But this topic should be in the draft thread...

Old
05-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Mercury10

I hope I'm wrong about Dietz but he looks terrible. I saw him live in Kelowna this year and he was -5 with at least 3 of those goals directly attributed to his decision making and/or getting burned by speed to the outside.
In the Blades last Memorial Cup game he was on the ice for 5/6 goals, one of the 5 was when they were shorthanded but still he just can't seem to make a play. I was high on him becasue he was such a go-to guy for Sask and a great shot, but the more I saw of him the more I thought he was one of the main reasons for the Blades up and down season.
I do not include him in my thoughts to become a future Habs contributor on D.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury10 View Post
I hope I'm wrong about Dietz but he looks terrible. I saw him live in Kelowna this year and he was -5 with at least 3 of those goals directly attributed to his decision making and/or getting burned by speed to the outside.
In the Blades last Memorial Cup game he was on the ice for 5/6 goals, one of the 5 was when they were shorthanded but still he just can't seem to make a play. I was high on him becasue he was such a go-to guy for Sask and a great shot, but the more I saw of him the more I thought he was one of the main reasons for the Blades up and down season.
I do not include him in my thoughts to become a future Habs contributor on D.
On the other end of the Spectrum, Tyler Myers was stud defensively in his junior but struggles in the NHL. I wouldn't judge Dietz on a 1 game sample and even less when we realize that defensemen reaches their peak around 28-30 years old.

Old
05-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Issacar

We need Patrick Bordeleau (hopefully the Avs doesn't resign him) and 2 other guys who aren't afraid to drop their gloves and who are 6'6 at least. I don't care who they are as long as they doN,t fall into Moen's category of fake gooneness.

Old
05-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
We have enough two-way defender at 6' - 175lbs in our pipeline.
Seabrook is 6'3" and 221lbs...

It took three years for Seabrook to be a top-2 d-men in CHI.
You think that Morrissey will be ahead of Tinordi, Ellis, Thrower, Nygren, Bennett, Beaulieu, Emelin, Diaz and Didier in three years?
So many complain about Diaz at 6' and 200 lbs...
Also, he did drop from 11th to 27th in NA skaters.

Dietz looks really good at 6'1" and 205 lbs.
If he is better than Tinordi, Dietz and Beaulieu in three years then we should pick him for sure.

But this topic should be in the draft thread...
We are going to need someone to replace Markov and maybe Beaulieu will be the guy and even if he is we still need a 2nd PP guy. He has the potential (potential means maybe) to be the best of the bunch and if he has a reasonable development curve he almost certainly will be good enough to earn a roster spot.

He's not going to be competing with Tinordi, Emelin or a Ellis for a roster spot. That's like saying we don't need Bournival because we have Galchenyuk and Collberg, they aren't competing for the same roster spot.

Old
05-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Issacar

Tinordi will be the player to replace Markov ideally.

In 3-4 years my ideal defensive would be :

Tinordi - Subban
Beaulieu - Thrower
Emelin - Diaz (could toss in Ellis, Dietz, Pateryn, Nygren, etc etc).

Our top 2 pairs are a good puck moving defenseman with a big and tough physical defenseman. People would have to respect SUbban and Beaulieu when they are on the ice.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
If you go by playing styles, I'd say that Beaulieu will replace Markov. Tinordi is a totally different style of d-man, one which the Habs don't even have. I think he makes the team next year, while Beaulieu will start in Hamilton until someone gets hurt, and will take over Markov in two years.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Issacar

Quote:
If you go by playing styles, I'd say that Beaulieu will replace Markov. Tinordi is a totally different style of d-man, one which the Habs don't even have. I think he makes the team next year, while Beaulieu will start in Hamilton until someone gets hurt, and will take over Markov in two years.
I'm not exactly sure where you was reading that I was saying that Tinordi would end up wit hteh same skillset as Markov.

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I stated that i wanted TInordi to take over Markov for a very different reason.... Maybe reading comprehension would help you...

Old
05-26-2013, 01:12 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Hmmm how about these numbers for a 23 years old goalie:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...priceca01.html

With marginally better defense in front of him. Ps. .901 isn't good no matter what is in front of you. Now you can make the defense argument, but many Price criticizers would call that argument invalid, so...

Old
05-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure where you was reading that I was saying that Tinordi would end up wit hteh same skillset as Markov.

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I stated that i wanted TInordi to take over Markov for a very different reason.... Maybe reading comprehension would help you...
Why so defensive and mostly, why so abrasive? I never insinuated that you said that, I was simply adding to it. Here's your post. Point to me where you said that exactly?

Quote:

In 3-4 years my ideal defensive would be :

Tinordi - Subban
Beaulieu - Thrower
Emelin - Diaz (could toss in Ellis, Dietz, Pateryn, Nygren, etc etc).

Our top 2 pairs are a good puck moving defenseman with a big and tough physical defenseman. People would have to respect SUbban and Beaulieu when they are on the ice.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Why so defensive and mostly, why so abrasive? I never insinuated that you said that, I was simply adding to it. Here's your post. Point to me where you said that exactly?
Hey sorry, I have the tendency to be abrasive, sometimes I don't even realize when I am

"Our top 2 pairs are a good puck moving defenseman with a big and tough physical defenseman. People would have to respect SUbban and Beaulieu when they are on the ice."

THis is why I want to have Tinordi on our top pair. It would also add depth if we have more then one pair with a good puck moving defenseman.

Beaulieu and Subban can always play together on the PP.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Hey sorry, I have the tendency to be abrasive, sometimes I don't even realize when I am

"Our top 2 pairs are a good puck moving defenseman with a big and tough physical defenseman. People would have to respect SUbban and Beaulieu when they are on the ice."

THis is why I want to have Tinordi on our top pair. It would also add depth if we have more then one pair with a good puck moving defenseman.

Beaulieu and Subban can always play together on the PP.
I am looking forward to when Tinordi and Beaulieu are ready for primetime. Subban will be hitting his full dominance, Emelin should be adding that physicality, add in one of Pateryn, Ellis, Thrower and you have potentially a solid, physical, puck moving d corps.

Size, skill. You can see the road ahead. Most of these prospects will not pan out. Dietz, Ellis, is a long shot, Thrower may not turn into a top 4, may e a bottom pair. But its not hard to project 3 years with just what is in our system and see a solid blueline

Last edited by Halifaxhab*: 05-26-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old
05-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Issacar

Yeah I agree, Thrower on the 2nd pair is just a best case scenario thing. He struggled this season, but he has a good mix of skillset and he can play the role of enforcer if need be.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't break the team either...

Old
05-26-2013, 01:58 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Regehr is still an effective #4-5 guy, he isn't the player he was 3-4 years ago but still and effective player that would help us now plus help the kids develop.
Assume MB is targeting the team to have an open window, to be contenders, this year or next and then to be contenders for some years to come. In that case guys that are signed for 3 years plus for sure need to be playing at about the level they were playing at when we signed them for the length of the contract or else no thanks, no Cole repeats. The question is since Regehr will get a 3-4 year deal, are we confident he wont really deteriorate in the last 2-3 years of his contract. Hammer played pretty steady through his 4 years despite his age. If not, then maybe Fistric would be better, though not as good.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Yeah I agree, Thrower on the 2nd pair is just a best case scenario thing. He struggled this season, but he has a good mix of skillset and he can play the role of enforcer if need be.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't break the team either...
I think Thrower is the more likely NHLer because his game is based on simplicity and physicality. He looks like a Fistric, or higher end a Regher.

Closed Thread