HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part V)

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2013, 01:17 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 500
Overall are TonsofPuppies team very well balanced and thought through. It's very tempting to have Stamkos and St. Louis together(Who was that above that said no 40-year olds about a 37-year old current Art Ross winner?), but another guys comment above that Tavares probably is a center only might be correct so i would simply do:

Stamkos-Crosby-Giroux
Hall-Tavares-St. Louis

Another thing is that i'm not sure if i'd have Bergeron outside the top-12, did'nt he spend time as a winger earlier in his career anyways? He AND Toews at some positions there i think would be a really good idea to effectively neutralize any oppositions offence and probably often go plus on them, leaving your top two lines quite a bit of room to extend the lead even more against lesser defensive forwards. Hell, many of the other teams will probably bring three lines consisting of offensive forwards, well below the Crosby and Tavares lines obviously.

Yeah, maybe line three and four like this:

Staal-Getzlaf-Perry
Bergeron-Toews-Nash

Couture
Some 14th guy

Last edited by Darth Yoda: 05-26-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old
05-26-2013, 08:23 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Overall are TonsofPuppies team very well balanced and thought through. It's very tempting to have Stamkos and St. Louis together(Who was that above that said no 40-year olds about a 37-year old current Art Ross winner?), but another guys comment above that Tavares probably is a center only might be correct so i would simply do:

Stamkos-Crosby-Giroux
Hall-Tavares-St. Louis

Another thing is that i'm not sure if i'd have Bergeron outside the top-12, did'nt he spend time as a winger earlier in his career anyways? He AND Toews at some positions there i think would be a really good idea to effectively neutralize any oppositions offence and probably often go plus on them, leaving your top two lines quite a bit of room to extend the lead even more against lesser defensive forwards. Hell, many of the other teams will probably bring three lines consisting of offensive forwards, well below the Crosby and Tavares lines obviously.

Staal-Getzlaf-Perry
Bergeron-Toews-Nash

Couture
Some 14th guy
Because of our ridiculous center depth, It was quite obvious that some were going to have to be shifted to the wing. Giroux is an obvious choice because he played RW for the first few years of his career with the Flyers. I moved Tavares to the wing because I spoke with some Islanders fans who said that Tavares played LW while in Switzerland this year, during the NHL lockout.

Old
05-26-2013, 12:06 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Because of our ridiculous center depth, It was quite obvious that some were going to have to be shifted to the wing. Giroux is an obvious choice because he played RW for the first few years of his career with the Flyers. I moved Tavares to the wing because I spoke with some Islanders fans who said that Tavares played LW while in Switzerland this year, during the NHL lockout.
I think he also played LW at 2010, 2011 and 2012 whc. He played with Skinner and.. Duchene ? I don't remember, it's on IIHF website for sure. So I'm gonna check it out.

Old
05-26-2013, 04:40 PM
PAZ

Quote:

Stamkos-Crosby-Giroux
Hall-Tavares-St. Louis

Staal-Getzlaf-Perry
Bergeron-Toews-Nash

Couture
Some 14th guy
Perry shouldn't be anywhere near our squad. Doesn't suit the big ice, and frankly, he hasn't been playing well the past 2 years.

Old
05-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Perry shouldn't be anywhere near our squad. Doesn't suit the big ice, and frankly, he hasn't been playing well the past 2 years.
Perhaps, but he's tough. Maybe Lucic is another option though.

Old
05-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Yes Giroux is an obvious choice.

Old
05-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Perry is tough now? When did this happen?

Old
05-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Perry is willing to go to the dirty areas, but I certainly wouldn't call him tough.

05-26-2013, 07:04 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
I think he also played LW at 2010, 2011 and 2012 whc. He played with Skinner and.. Duchene ? I don't remember, it's on IIHF website for sure. So I'm gonna check it out.
From what I remember, Tavares played on the wing in his first WC and played center in the last two. Over in Switzerland he was playing on the wing and had 42 points in like 28 games. His skill set can translate to either position, he has the ability to drive the play and create offense out of nothing. With Crosby and Giroux/Stamkos, you have a potentially lethal 1st line that can score in a multitude of ways.

Oh yeah, it was a lot of Skinner-Tavares-Eberle in his last WC's. Skinner and Tavares showed a lot of chemistry together.

Old
05-26-2013, 07:08 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Why exactly do we need a tough guy like Lucic? Just needs to be a big body thats willing to go into corners and do boardwork. I'd much rather have Ladd than either Perry or Lucic.

Old
05-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Why exactly do we need a tough guy like Lucic? Just needs to be a big body thats willing to go into corners and do boardwork. I'd much rather have Ladd than either Perry or Lucic.
Lucic was'nt my option though. What we have is the better offensive player in Perry, the better physically in Lucic. Obviously Perry is a good complement to Getzlaf. Ladd i simply forgot about since i was using TonsofPuppies depthchart. Perhaps he is a better defensive and agitating option yes. It does however remain to be seen if he really is as good offensively as Perry though. One shortened season is not enough, or at least we have to see how they start next season. Perry as you do know won a Hart Trophy once, and a Maurice Richard one. Needs to show good form next season, which is not impossible obviously.

Old
05-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

E. Staal - Crosby - Hall
Stamkos - Tavares - St. Louis
Spezza - Getzlaf - Giroux
Bergeron - Toews - J. Staal
Nash

Weber - Pietrangelo
Keith - Doughty
M. Staal - Subban
Hamhuis

Price
Luongo
Reimer

Last edited by Lord Flacko*: 05-26-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old
05-26-2013, 08:54 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Lucic was'nt my option though. What we have is the better offensive player in Perry, the better physically in Lucic. Obviously Perry is a good complement to Getzlaf. Ladd i simply forgot about since i was using TonsofPuppies depthchart. Perhaps he is a better defensive and agitating option yes. It does however remain to be seen if he really is as good offensively as Perry though. One shortened season is not enough, or at least we have to see how they start next season. Perry as you do know won a Hart Trophy once, and a Maurice Richard one. Needs to show good form next season, which is not impossible obviously.
3 goals and 6 points / 8 games for Ladd on that Stamkos-Giroux line at this year's whc... that's not bad. That line was probably the best one.

Old
05-26-2013, 09:00 PM
True Hockey Fan

I think there should be much more discussion about Joe Thornton. He's not that bad to be out of almost all teams posted here.

His size, puck-handling and underrated two-way game could be important in Sochi.
His play is still on high level and could be a good fit to that team IMO. I'm not saying he is in my team, but he should be under more consideration here. What do you think ?

// I can see this line working well: Couture - Thornton - Bergeron

This line would be capable of both defensive and ofensive play. Couture has a solid speed, Bergeron is a great defensive forward, Thornton is very good 2-way player.

Last edited by True Hockey Fan: 05-26-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old
05-26-2013, 09:04 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
I think there should be much more discussion about Joe Thornton. He's not that bad to be out of almost all teams posted here.

His size, puck-handling and underrated two-way game could be important in Sochi.
His play is still on high level and could be a good fit to that team IMO. I'm not saying he is in my team, but he should be more considered here. What do you think ?
Lol, no. Joe Thornton is slooow. He looked bad in Vancouver and he hasn't gotten any better (or faster) since then. We don't want another Torino.

Old
05-26-2013, 09:23 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Lol, no. Joe Thornton is slooow. He looked bad in Vancouver and he hasn't gotten any better (or faster) since then. We don't want another Torino.
He's not that slow. And I think there is not a rule that every player has to be one of the fastest skaters out there. Vancouver was ok. Torino was a complete disaster, but you can blame Thornton as much as anybody else.

Old
05-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:

His play is still on high level and could be a good fit to that team IMO. I'm not saying he is in my team, but he should be under more consideration here. What do you think ?

// I can see this line working well: Couture - Thornton - Bergeron

This line would be capable of both defensive and ofensive play. Couture has a solid speed, Bergeron is a great defensive forward, Thornton is very good 2-way player.
Mhm. I think one of his best arguments would be his passing on the PP, i mean what do you have for that besides the defensemen: Crosby obviously in a class by himself, Giroux, St Louis, Getzlaf. Question becomes how many you need, and if Thornton fits anywhere 5-on-5. Lots of dominant pivots on your depthchart as we know. I guess one option could be to have both Stamkos and Tavares on the wing, leaving the centres at Crosby, Getzlaf, Toews and Thornton.

Tavares-Crosby-Giroux
Stamkos-Getzlaf-St. Louis
Hall-Toews-Perry/Ladd
Couture-Thornton-Bergeron

Nash and Staal on the bench then though.

Old
05-26-2013, 09:48 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
He's not that slow. And I think there is not a rule that every player has to be one of the fastest skaters out there. Vancouver was ok. Torino was a complete disaster, but you can blame Thornton as much as anybody else.
Here is our center depth chart:

1. Crosby
2. Stamkos
3. Tavares
4. Toews
5. Giroux
6. Getzlaf
7. E. Staal

There's simply no room for Thornton at this point. We have too many natural centres and Thornton's game is not suited for the wing (where speed is even more crucial). I don't disagree that Thornton should be in the discussion, but imo he's in the same category that Reimer is in the goaltending department. Discussion worthy but almost no chance.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:04 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 1598
With the big ice I simply see no way that Slow Joe will be on this team...

Old
05-26-2013, 10:08 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
With the big ice I simply see no way that Slow Joe will be on this team...
I pray Steve Yzerman isn't that stupid. However, with Hockey Canada's decisions lately, I won't hold my breath on it.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Leidi J

Not that it means anything since he's not picking the team lol, but...
Quote:
John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross 44m
Logan Couture of the Sharks wasn't on the 2010 Canadian Olympic team but in my mind he is a lock for 2014.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:30 PM
Riggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPAVELSKI View Post
I hope so. Would love to see him on Patrice Bergeron's left wing on the 4th line.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:46 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Couture is not a lock by any means, but he's certainly in the discussion. Would help if he could produce 5 on 5 instead of just on the PP. I have him on my team at the moment, 3rd line LW with Jonathan Toews and Rick Nash.

Old
05-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

Quote:
far from a lock but definitely garners consideration.

Old
05-27-2013, 12:40 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Eric Staal - Sidney Crosby - Claude Giroux
Steven Stamkos - John Tavares - Martin St. Louis
Jamie Benn - Jonathan Toews - Corey Perry
Logan Couture - Patrice Bergeron - Rick Nash
Ryan Getzlaf - Taylor Hall

Shea Weber - Alex Pietrangelo
Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty