HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Off-Ice Workout Plan

Old
05-24-2013, 05:34 PM
TheSkatingDead

vCash: 500
Off-Ice Workout Plan

Our session just came to an end about a week ago and should resume mid-June. In our league, I consider myself either the 2nd or 3rd fastest skater. Therefore, during this break I will be focusing on my skating strength, conditioning and speed. Mind you, this is beer league stuff only… but we still take it pretty competitively.

I’ve learned that there are 3 fundamentals that should be used: weights, plyometrics and cardio, so I’ve incorporated each of these fundamentals into my program. Of course, as with any exercise, proper diet and hydration will need to be implemented. You should also include a rest day and get the proper amount of sleep. Lastly, I would also suggest adding nightly stretching for 10-15 mins.

This is my own plan, which I've put together with a lot of time and research. Feel free to share and use it... and/or provide your comments and feedback.

Monday (lower)
- Warm up: 5 min, light treadmill jog
- Abs: Bicycle kicks
- Plyometrics: Squat jumps and single leg lateral bounds
- Weights: Barbell squats and barbell good-mornings
- Spin bike: 20 min *

Tuesday (upper) **
- Warm up: 5 min treadmill jog
- Abs: Russian twists
- Plyometrics: explosive push ups
- Weights: EZ bar curls, incline bench press, cable pushdowns, pyramid dumbbell curls

Wednesday (cardio)
- Treadmill HIIT intervals, 30 min

Thursday
- Yoga, 30 min

Friday (lower)
- Warm up: 5 min, light treadmill jog
- Abs: Stability ball pikes
- Plyometrics: split jumps and barrier lateral bounds
- Weights: dumbbell walking lunges and dumbbell single leg split squats
- Spin bike: 20 min *

Saturday or Sunday (light cardio)
- Running: 5K

* Spin bike routine:
- Warm up: 5 min
- Increase resistance every 5 min thereafter
- At 15:00 mark – single leg for 1 min
- Decrease resistance and speed 1 min
- Switch legs, repeat
- Cool down last 2-3 min

** For strength and condition purposes only.

*** HIIT:
- Warm up: 0-3 min, level 4 and 3-5 min, level 5
- Intervals: 5-18 min - 1 min level 8, 1 min level 5 (repeat)
- Cool down: 18-19 min, level 4 and 19-20 min, level 3

GO PENGUINS!!!

Last edited by TheSkatingDead: 05-28-2013 at 09:48 AM.
TheSkatingDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

Nice program. Puts a lot of emphasis in core and leg strengthening and a good amount of Cardio. Liked it until I saw "Go Penguins!"

Puckstop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Tundra

http://www.stack.com/2013/05/22/concentric-box-jumps/

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 09:52 AM
TheSkatingDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstop40 View Post
. Liked it until i saw "go penguins!"
HAHA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra View Post
I would love to be able to do some ply box jumps, but we don't have any jump boxes or anything to supplement them with at the moment...

---

Also, I updated my plan and moved the cardio after the weights. It's more beneficial to do weights first, then cardio.

TheSkatingDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Thesensation19

You have a solid regime. Good. Yet I would highly recommend looking into Crossfit.

I am not a Crossfitter, I have not joined a gym...yet. Due to money and class schedules.

Yet I constantly go on their official website, their journal page their youtube videos and they have a series of endless information on proper fitness that you should too look into.

I love Crossfits ideology in the sense that it incorporates gymnastics (balance, flexibility, strength of full body), olympic weightlifting (power, strength and ability to lift outer objects) and plyometrics (explosion, speed, agility). All of this with the focus of core strength, increase cardio and muscle stamina and improve ones focus is great for any athlete.

The Soviets dominated hockey and most of the sports world through cross training just like this.

What I really like about Crossfit is there passion. Like I said, endless and growing information on nutrition, form, intensity and your body and muscle functions. I have not joined their gym yet but use their work outs and ideology in my every day life. Its def shown great improvement. better flexibility, better balance and proper strength.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Thesensation19

Your weekly routine seems great and well thought out but it seems theirs already a peak. You limit yourself in the work outs itself.

Is this something you will do every week exactly or close to exactly. Positioning of your feet in squats or where you hold the added load can change the entire emphasis of your work out. Front or back squats do two very different things to your muscles.

I also dont see much back work. The core includes the back muscles. In hockey, your back stability and strength is huge as we all should know.

Try to have all your workouts be spent on super work outs I like to call. You have some what of the idea, just continue to evolve it.

Like instead of isolated work outs like bicep curls, do pull ups.
Instead of leg presses and extensions, do squats.

Dont forget your neck as well.

PVT msg me for more info. Love talking about this stuff and we prob can learn a thing or two about fitness.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote