HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Automobile Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-26-2013, 12:41 PM
  #676
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,406
vCash: 500
2013 Nissan Sentra (loaded, with sunroof) vs 2013 Elantra (loaded, with sunroof)..

Which one do you guys like more???

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:08 PM
  #677
Issacar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
2013 Nissan Sentra (loaded, with sunroof) vs 2013 Elantra (loaded, with sunroof)..

Which one do you guys like more???
Nissan is a very good brand, except when it comes to Sentra. Do yourself a favor and go for the Elantra.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:17 PM
  #678
Rosso Scuderia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
2013 Nissan Sentra (loaded, with sunroof) vs 2013 Elantra (loaded, with sunroof)..

Which one do you guys like more???
Elantra no doubt.

Really don't like where Nissan is heading with their new car and the opposite for Hyundai. The New Elantra is a home run for Hyundai.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:22 PM
  #679
Issacar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Elantra no doubt.

Really don't like where Nissan is heading with their new car and the opposite for Hyundai. The New Elantra is a home run for Hyundai.
Maybe you don't like their models, but Nissan is a quality brand in general, reliable car with low maintenance(outside of the usual stuff, obviously).

It's just that the Sentra is their budget cars and have alot more issues then the other models Nissan sells. First hand experience (I've owned a Sentra, Maxima and still own a 300 ZX).

But I agree that Hyundai has really come out, and I enjoy their models alot.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:16 PM
  #680
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,406
vCash: 500
Thanks guys.. Ya, upon more research I realize the sentra isn't fairing very well with the reviews..

I owned a 2007 civic at one point and I find the Elantra looks like a newer generation of that styling where as the Sentra looks like a mini altima.

So which do you guys feel would be the best 2013 competitor to the Elantra?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:30 PM
  #681
Issacar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Thanks guys.. Ya, upon more research I realize the sentra isn't fairing very well with the reviews..

I owned a 2007 civic at one point and I find the Elantra looks like a newer generation of that styling where as the Sentra looks like a mini altima.

So which do you guys feel would be the best 2013 competitor to the Elantra?
I'm not sure about the price bracket these cars sells and if they fit your budget.

I know someone who owns a Kia Forte and I was amazed by the quality of the car. I was the first guy to say lolKia until I was able to see for myself.

I'm not a big fan of Toyota because while it's a robust car, it boasts pretty cheap quality. But the Camry is not a bad choice either.

I'm not too high on Mazda because their parts are very pricey. but the Mazda 3 is a neat looking car and it ha s a fairly good quality to them.

Ford Focus is a decent choice, their vehicules aren't as bad as they used to.

Not sure if Volvo has a model that fits your budget, but I currently own a S60 2.0T and I have only good things to say about it.

Chevrolet Cruze, did a test drive with one and I was nicely surprised by the car. I must say, I didn't had a turbo model and it was the only let down, it has a very bad acceleration rate. If you go for one, I'd want a turbo model. Not because I like high speed, but because when you go on the highway and you need to accelerate fast, it doesn't cut it without the turbo (imo).

Honda Civic is never a bad choice. I'd look into the new Insight model, seems like a more sport version then the Civic.

I don't know much about Suzuki, except that I think the SX4 is a neat looking model.

Mitsubishi Lancer/Gallant. If I were to buy brand new, I'd heavily look into Mitsubishi due to their guarantee. Also AWD is fun in winter

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:59 PM
  #682
ARSTNEIO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
The new Ford Focus is hands-down the best car in that segment right now. It amazes me how the American companies have turned themselves around. They've figured out how to make a car as reliable as the Japanese cars, yet with way more fun-factor and personality.

ARSTNEIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 03:03 PM
  #683
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSTNEIO View Post
The new Ford Focus is hands-down the best car in that segment right now. It amazes me how the American companies have turned themselves around. They've figured out how to make a car as reliable as the Japanese cars, yet with way more fun-factor and personality.
I have a huge bias against american but will keep an open mind.

Question: how do you know if the new focus is as reliable as a Corolla or Civic, if the track record isn't there?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 03:06 PM
  #684
Issacar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Because Toyota and Honda lives on their reputation and their quality is not as good as it once used to be.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 03:33 PM
  #685
ARSTNEIO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I have a huge bias against american but will keep an open mind.

Question: how do you know if the new focus is as reliable as a Corolla or Civic, if the track record isn't there?
I used to make fun of American cars all the time, because it was just oh so easy.

The Americans are killing it right now, though, and respect is given where it is due. Overall build quality of American cars are so much improved now, no longer are their interiors big sheets of rental car plastic. It also handles nice and is a pretty zippy, fun to drive car.

I haven't owned a Focus; I live in NYC and so I rent a lot of different cars short term through Zipcar. You're right, I can't personally speak to the reliability of a Focus, only my impressions driving it briefly (which were excellent). But the current generation started in 2010 (model year 2011), so there are some long-term test results out there. Here's one long-term test: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review

ARSTNEIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 05:12 PM
  #686
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
Because Toyota and Honda lives on their reputation and their quality is not as good as it once used to be.
Read consumers reports and JD. power they will tell you otherwise .

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 05:17 PM
  #687
MrNasty
Registered User
 
MrNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
2013 Nissan Sentra (loaded, with sunroof) vs 2013 Elantra (loaded, with sunroof)..

Which one do you guys like more???
I don't much about Nissan but I would stay away from a Hyundai unless you like disposable cars. They are cheap for a reason.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 05:29 PM
  #688
Zorro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
I don't much about Nissan but I would stay away from a Hyundai unless you like disposable cars. They are cheap for a reason.
Lol...is this 1997? This couldn't be more wrong. Do yourself a favour and go for the Elantra (we have the GT) and a it's pretty fun car to boot around town.

Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 07:03 PM
  #689
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Thanks guys.. Ya, upon more research I realize the sentra isn't fairing very well with the reviews..

I owned a 2007 civic at one point and I find the Elantra looks like a newer generation of that styling where as the Sentra looks like a mini altima.

So which do you guys feel would be the best 2013 competitor to the Elantra?
Don't let anyone tell you that the Elantra isn't fun and a good value , or that you shouldn't buy it . You know your taste and budget.

But please don't let anyone convince you that Hyundai is in the same league as Honda and Toyota in the quality/durability/resale arenA.

Having said that I like the Optima.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:16 PM
  #690
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,800
vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSTNEIO View Post
The new Ford Focus is hands-down the best car in that segment right now. It amazes me how the American companies have turned themselves around. They've figured out how to make a car as reliable as the Japanese cars, yet with way more fun-factor and personality.
Gotta agree, they are high quality and fun to drive.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:18 PM
  #691
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Don't let anyone tell you that the Elantra isn't fun and a good value , or that you shouldn't buy it . You know your taste and budget.

But please don't let anyone convince you that Hyundai is in the same league as Honda and Toyota in the quality/durability/resale arenA.

Having said that I like the Optima.
Agree fully on all points.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:40 PM
  #692
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Lol...is this 1997? This couldn't be more wrong. Do yourself a favour and go for the Elantra (we have the GT) and a it's pretty fun car to boot around town.
I rented an Elantra during my western canadian ski trip and while I found it to be a pleasant drive in city it honestly felt terrible on a highway or out of traffic. I felt like it sorely lacked power and, most of all it felt very unstable at speeds over 100. Its economic, I'll give it that, but part of it was because I was compelled to drive like a grandmother due to fear of missing a curve. And it was a 2013 I was driving.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:09 PM
  #693
ARSTNEIO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
I think it really depends on what kind of car you're looking for. Toyota/Honda are always the safe choices in terms of long-term resale value, name recognition, and traditionally solid products. They're your "Consumer Reports" cars, if you will.

Personally, I can't stand the idea of using a car simply for transportation: I think a car has to be fun to drive at any segment. Personality is a must: it's not enough for it to get me from point A to point B--the car has to be fun and willing. I have to look forward to the drive, to want to take that next corner a little bit faster, accelerate a bit harder, to let loose a little. I'll acknowledge that your "Consumer Reports" cars will always be solid buys, but gosh, I can't imagine selecting a car to drive based solely on things like resale value and durability. Obviously both are important, but the driving experience is just as, if not more so for me.

Will you ever get sports car performance in the Civic segment? Of course not, but that doesn't mean every car has to be boring! And this, I think, is where Honda and Toyota are beginning to err. Toyota always--when was the last fun Toyota? I swear their minivan is their most fun to drive vehicle right now. Honda's still got it with the Accord, but their new Civic is just...boring. No longer the zippy, eager to have fun car it once was.

The Focus brings that element, that some of these other cars lack. And, it's pretty well-built, high-quality, and seems reliable to boot. I've always thought that Honda and especially Toyota were getting complacent: they've devised a formula for making boring cars for people to get from one place to another, and locked down the segment with them. It's refreshing to see a car like the Ford eager to provide something more.

Edit: this might be a dealbreaker, but the Focus's infotainment system is absolutely terrible, I don't know what they were thinking. I heard that using voice-activated instead of buttons/knobs is an improvement, but I didn't get to try it. I have no idea how people even adjust the radio while driving, it was atrocious. That's not something I really care about in a car, but again everyone looks for different things.


Last edited by ARSTNEIO: 05-26-2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: to provide more info
ARSTNEIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:09 PM
  #694
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,406
vCash: 500
I can get a good deal on a Volvo S40 2010... I need some opinions people?! are they expensive to maintain? wasnt looking for this car but saw it at a dealer

can also get a good deal on 2013 mazda 6...its brand new but discounted since the new 2014 are out..

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:24 PM
  #695
Runner77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I can get a good deal on a Volvo S40 2010... I need some opinions people?! are they expensive to maintain? wasnt looking for this car but saw it at a dealer

can also get a good deal on 2013 mazda 6...its brand new but discounted since the new 2014 are out..
I know a Volvo mechanic and he advised me to stay away. It does get expensive long term.

Mazda is newer and has a good track record of reliability. I wouldn't bother with Volvo.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:26 PM
  #696
Runner77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
i always like to investigate any kijiji or type of adds.

dug this one up on the dealer

ABC De L'Automobile
4276 Bd Metropolitain E, Saint-Léonard, QC H1S 1A2, Canada
+1xxx-xxx-xxx
1 review ·
"Ne Jamais acheter de voitures à cet endroit. C'est un voleur."

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:34 PM
  #697
Runner77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
What's the Better choice? (A used 2011 or 2012 with about 30,000kms);

BMW X3 28i
Audi Q5 2.0T

Or for same price a new Hyundai SantaFe, Subaru Outback or Honda CRV (all AWD).

I can't make up my mind... gotta decide soon the little family is expanding!
Unless you're an executive and you can depreciate the price of your car and expenses, RUN AWAY from high-end German cars, especially those that feature run-flat tires.

Run-flat tires allow you to keep driving on a flat for more than 60 kms, however, they cannot be repaired. Once you get to the dealer for a replacement, a new tire will cost you $350-$400 every time. Depending on where you live, potholes and low profile tires could send you back to the dealer 3-4 times per year. Not to mention all the additional times when the tire pressure sensor goes wacko.

Of course, you can buy a used German car and replace your run-flats by regular tires but you won't have a spare tire, you'll have to lug one around in your trunk.

All 3 other options are good -- two complaints about the Honda. It's direction is not very accurate, car appears to float. And second, the noise it lets in will drive you nuts. I'd go with the Santa Fe. Hyundai is very reliable.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:37 PM
  #698
Kenny Powders
Registered User
 
Kenny Powders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,902
vCash: 500
What you guys say about a Civic SI sedan 2008 with 70,xxx km

Anything I should know about the 2006-2011 8th gen?

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 06:42 AM
  #699
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
I'm not sure about the price bracket these cars sells and if they fit your budget.

I know someone who owns a Kia Forte and I was amazed by the quality of the car. I was the first guy to say lolKia until I was able to see for myself.

I'm not a big fan of Toyota because while it's a robust car, it boasts pretty cheap quality. But the Camry is not a bad choice either.

I'm not too high on Mazda because their parts are very pricey. but the Mazda 3 is a neat looking car and it ha s a fairly good quality to them.

Ford Focus is a decent choice, their vehicules aren't as bad as they used to.

Not sure if Volvo has a model that fits your budget, but I currently own a S60 2.0T and I have only good things to say about it.

Chevrolet Cruze, did a test drive with one and I was nicely surprised by the car. I must say, I didn't had a turbo model and it was the only let down, it has a very bad acceleration rate. If you go for one, I'd want a turbo model. Not because I like high speed, but because when you go on the highway and you need to accelerate fast, it doesn't cut it without the turbo (imo).

Honda Civic is never a bad choice. I'd look into the new Insight model, seems like a more sport version then the Civic.

I don't know much about Suzuki, except that I think the SX4 is a neat looking model.

Mitsubishi Lancer/Gallant. If I were to buy brand new, I'd heavily look into Mitsubishi due to their guarantee. Also AWD is fun in winter
I think you missed Subaru. Yeah I'm a fan, the wife and I both have one. The AWD with winter tires in the snow is so much of a difference maker that I honestly can't see myself ever not having a good AWD system. (Not all are good)

The new Imprezas are priced pretty reasonably, if you haven't looked into those check them out. Legacy is nice as well, but not sure if it's in your price range.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 06:44 AM
  #700
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Unless you're an executive and you can depreciate the price of your car and expenses, RUN AWAY from high-end German cars, especially those that feature run-flat tires.

Run-flat tires allow you to keep driving on a flat for more than 60 kms, however, they cannot be repaired. Once you get to the dealer for a replacement, a new tire will cost you $350-$400 every time. Depending on where you live, potholes and low profile tires could send you back to the dealer 3-4 times per year. Not to mention all the additional times when the tire pressure sensor goes wacko.

Of course, you can buy a used German car and replace your run-flats by regular tires but you won't have a spare tire, you'll have to lug one around in your trunk.

All 3 other options are good -- two complaints about the Honda. It's direction is not very accurate, car appears to float. And second, the noise it lets in will drive you nuts. I'd go with the Santa Fe. Hyundai is very reliable.
FYI - if I was looking into an SUV the Santa Fe would not be on my list because of this new crash test. I urge everyone here to watch this.

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr051613.html

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.