HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anze Kopitar vs Carey Price

Old
10-04-2006, 03:26 PM
zednik20

vCash: 500
Why people still live in the past...its done...get over it....

zednik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 03:33 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
So Luongo, DiPietro, Lehtonen and Fleury are busts?
Luongo is definatly no bust, Lehtonen looks to be awesome, if he can stay healthy. But DiPietro, is an underachiever, and overpayed, for what he has provided in the NHL so far. And Fleury, well hopefully for Pittsburgs sake, they didn't ruin him by playing him too early.
As for should you have taken someone else over price, that's hard to answer. But if it were me standing at that draft table, and I saw Brule's name still available, my choice is pretty easy. I watched that kid play a lot for the Giants, he's got what it takes!

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 03:34 PM
tmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
Luongo has been traded twice and has yet to see playoffs. What's Dipetro ever done, besides signing a ridiculours contract ?Fleury is a big question mark. Lehtonen looks like he's gonna be something special though

That's other thing: since we don't plan on being bottom feeders for years in a row like Pitt or Atlanta did, for only once we had the chance to take a game breaker with tons of skills, something it's very difficult to acquire any other way than drafting it top5. Faith gave us that chance, but we took the goalie...

Atl took Lehtonen but they had stunk for years, so they already had Heatley and Kovalchuk. Pitt took Fleury but they knew there were more top picks coming, so they now have Malkin, Crosby, Whitney to go with him

We never finish last, so we win a draw and take Price; but where's our Malkin gonna come from? our Kovalchuk ? Our Heatley ? That was our chance to take a special player and then find a goalie which is easier to do, but we blew it...
don't worry we will just sign crosby when he's available

tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Teufelsdreck

Kopitar hasn't shown much yet. We got a glimpse of what Price might contribute. I'm content.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Brett38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
In 10 years Habs fans will be asking, "Anze who?" They'll know the name Carey Price very well.

Agreed!!!

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 04:09 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Come on, everyone was criticising LA for taking Kopitar because he was from a non-hockey country and a very risky pick. Some people didn't even have him in the top 30, saying he couldn't adjust and blah blah. I even remember everyone saying "no Euros please" when it was our turn to draft.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 04:18 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
but where's our Malkin gonna come from? our Kovalchuk ? Our Heatley ? That was our chance to take a special player and then find a goalie which is easier to do, but we blew it...
We have no all stars players in our actual roster and probably no all stars in the making outside maybe Price... Thats true...

However, we have some elite players and some others in the making as well... Just like the Buffalo Sabres have theirs...

Is Kovalev an elite player in the NHL? Yes

Is Koivu an elite player in the NHL when he is at his best? Definitively yes.

Can Samsonov be considered an elite player right now? Im not sure we will see this year, has he already been considered a NHL elite player? Difinitively yes.

Can Latendresse be considered a potential elite player in the making? Definitively.

Kostitsyn? IMO this is clear and evident, this guy has the skills to be a dominant player in this league, just like a guy like Vanek with the Sabres...

Perezhogin? Most will doubt, personally I dont..

Higgins? While not as much as skilled as Perezhogin, he just plays a so great all around game, elite hands, elite quickness, elite wrist shot...

We have some other solid players like Jonhson, Plekanec that can be considered high quality players as well.. Bonk on the third line isnt bad either...

So once again, no big all stars but an amazing bunch of high quality players on the 3 first lines that makes our team as strong offensively as any other top teams in this league.. The only ways to get an all star player is by finishing at the bottom of the standing or by the FA market and Im not interested with the first option.. Some ALL Stars skilled players are not always working hard neither playing this game with passion, some are often hardly coatchables and not fitting well in a team concept.. So we have to be careful when we talk about an ALL Star player, some will never make your team win in the long run...

Still, Kopitar looks like a good one at the moment but we will have to wait and see how it goes.. I remember a certain Svitov, drafted #3 overall who had a big body frame, highly skilled but never had enough heart to play in the NHL.. I remember him playing with the Bulldogs when we shared our farm with Tampa and some were saying he was the real deal while I didnt think so at all... I was saying Plekanec was playing a way more solid overall game while Perezhogin was the real deal offensively..

In our team, we dont have only skills on our top 3 lines but some passionated guys playing this game with fire.. Thats why I think we have a serious shot this year.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 05:38 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I like the exact same 3 guys, but in a different order !

Brule (smallish but loved the combination of skills and absolute grit)
Kopitar (size and skill but was afraid of the lack of footspeed)
Staal (great D all-around, love the mobility)

I still can not believe we took a goalie with that pick; there were too much skill available, when you kind always find a late-blooming goalie in the later rounds or even via a trade. A guy like Kopitar ? no chance !! From a fan POV, it's also less thrilling to pick a goalie than a super-skill position player, who can get there faster and bring more excitment !

But hey ! If Price follows the Cam Ward curve, I might be just fine with it after all
How far do you think Price would have dropped if we didn't take him?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 10:37 PM
joe6pack

Trevor Timmins indicated Jack Skille was also high on their list. He mentioned that there were 4 or 5 players that were in consideration after the consensus top four. I recall he mentioned Skille, Price, Brule and Bourdon. Neither Stall nor Kopitar was on his short list.

Having said this, I think Kopitar may turn out to be the best of the bunch. I also like Skille's speed and nose for the net.

joe6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe6pack View Post
Trevor Timmins indicated Jack Skille was also high on their list. He mentioned that there were 4 or 5 players that were in consideration after the consensus top four. I recall he mentioned Skille, Price, Brule and Bourdon. Neither Stall nor Kopitar was on his short list.

Having said this, I think Kopitar may turn out to be the best of the bunch. I also like Skille's speed and nose for the net.
Your opinion will be duly noted.

Old
10-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Mr. Hab

Goalie Is The Most Important Position...

Goalies are a lot more important than any other position (ex: Brodeur, Roy, Luongo, when Giguere helped the Ducks reach the Cup finals, Cam Ward). Only a few are almost as important as the goalie, only a few...(ex: Ovechkin, Crosby).

Carey Price looks like a super prospect right now...the future #1 goalie of the Habs.

Carey Price > Brule
Carey Price > Kopitar

Maybe Carey Price should have been chosen higher in the draft...

Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:33 AM
Finnadien

I really don't get these threads. They're just full of meaningless ifs.

If the Habs would've picked Kopitar, you'd probably now being questioning that pick and complaining about why Habs didn't pick Price instead, because we wouldn't have any very promising goalie prospects, or complaining why we didn't pick Marc Staal as we obviously lack skill in defensive department.

Or... Or... Or...

Goddamnit, should Leafs have picked Ryder in 1998 instead of Jonathan Gagnon, they might have scored 30 more goals last season. But they didn't and that's about all that has to be said about that.

Of course draft picks are worth a debate, but you people really get these threads sound like picking Price is gonna kill the whole organization and Habs will be found from QMJHL in a few years because of that.

And how about letting Price and Kopitar play at least a few games in NHL, or at least see how they're gonna do in few years before starting mouthbashing?

Yes, I'm having a bad day.

Finnadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 06:57 AM
Estimated_Prophet

I was definitely hoping for Brule or Staal and was shocked to hear Carey Price's name called.

It is impossible at this point to determine if we drafted the BPA with Price but what I can say with certainty is that this pick was very poor asset management. Price more than likely would not have cracked the top ten if we didn't pick him and he wasn't even a true consensus top goaltender in that draft as Rask was considered to be as good a prospect as Price.

With the whole hockey world fully expecting Montreal to select Gilbert Brule we probabaly should have traded down a little as that draft spot was a very valuable asset with Brule still on the board. We would have still been able to draft atleast one of Price or Rask and also add another high pick or decent prospect.

Like I said I am not really second guessing the choice of Price but how we decided to choose him.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 07:51 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zednik20 View Post
Why people still live in the past...its done...get over it....
It's called the Leclair-Gagné Syndrome.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 08:10 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
So Luongo, DiPietro, Lehtonen and Fleury are busts?
Luongo is good, but not sure if he's a franchise goalie. Dipietro is pretty good (but not a franchise goalie), and they could have had Heatley or Gaborik instead of him. Lehtonen still hasn't done anything special since he's in America, and they could have drafted Bouwmeester or Pitkanen instead. Fleury is looking more and more like a bust (Eric Staal was available). One thing is for sure, those aren't four franchise goalies, while franchise players were passed on to pick them. And, Carey Price isn't as good as those goalies were at that age. No one ranked Price that high for the draft.

Plus, a good goalie is a lot easier to find than a star foward/defenseman. Exemple: look at what Edmonton did last year. If you need one, trade to get a guy like Biron, he'll do the job just fine.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Trexim

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
How far do you think Price would have dropped if we didn't take him?
Well, Muckler stated he may pick Price at #9. Given the circumtances at the time, I guess that's the most educated guess one can make.

Trexim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Teufelsdreck

The Devils have done quite well without the luxury of top 3 draft picks. I was particularly impressed several years ago when they swept the heavily favored Red Wings, who had just won the President's Trophy. The Habs don't have superstars but they've started to acquire depth. When you add a good system and great goaltending to that, you've always in the running. If Price even approaches Brodeur, the Habs can be serious contenders in a few years even without a Crosby, Ovechkin, or Staal.

Old
10-05-2006, 12:59 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I still can't beleive this is still an issue.

At that draft, EVERYONE here was saying "NO EUROS! NO KOPITAR!"

I REMEMBER it.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Luongo is good, but not sure if he's a franchise goalie. Dipietro is pretty good (but not a franchise goalie), and they could have had Heatley or Gaborik instead of him. Lehtonen still hasn't done anything special since he's in America, and they could have drafted Bouwmeester or Pitkanen instead. Fleury is looking more and more like a bust (Eric Staal was available). One thing is for sure, those aren't four franchise goalies, while franchise players were passed on to pick them. And, Carey Price isn't as good as those goalies were at that age. No one ranked Price that high for the draft.

Plus, a good goalie is a lot easier to find than a star foward/defenseman. Exemple: look at what Edmonton did last year. If you need one, trade to get a guy like Biron, he'll do the job just fine.
Luongo is a franchise goaltender...no question there!

Dipietro is getting better, but not worth a 1st overall pick

Lethonen showed what he can do, but he's injury prone, at least, so far...but he's a superstar in the making...

And how can you say that FLeury is looking like a bust after only 2 season in the NHL...oh, and do you know that Pittsburgh is one of the worst team since 2002?

Anyways, if Price become anything close from those four goaltenders, the pick will be a success and nobody will make a Price VS. a 2005 draftee ever again.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Teufelsdreck

Why this nonsense about a comparison between Kopitar and Price at this point? It's long past that draft, and the outcome won't be apparent for years to come. The thread smacks of angst and insecurity. How do the Nervous Nellies know for sure that in 2010 Price won't be seen as the very best player selected in 2005? How do they know that Kopitar will be in the NHL in 2010? Of course, if they choose to, they can chew their fingernails down to the cuticles for the next 5 years worrying about it.

Old
10-05-2006, 03:15 PM
habfan4

Kopitar vs Price
Kirk vs Spock
Evil vs Good
Blondes vs Red Heads

Which is better? No one can say really (except for the last one - Red Heads rule )

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:31 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
The only mistake we made in last years draft is not picking Jan-Mikael Juutilainen.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:32 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Kopitar vs Price
Kirk vs Spock
Evil vs Good
Blondes vs Red Heads

Which is better? No one can say really (except for the last one - Red Heads rule )
Dark haired girls win over all.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:

Blondes vs Red Heads

It all depends on which one says yes first.

Carbo N8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Kopitar vs Price
Kirk vs Spock
Evil vs Good
Blondes vs Red Heads

Sure we can:

Kopitar
spock
evil
Red heads (you're right : that was a given ! )

Now the tough ones:

Kopitar vs Brule
Seinfeld vs Curb your enthusiasm
evil vs twisted evil
Red heads vs brunettes

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote