HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Heads Need to Roll at Hockey Canada

Old
05-24-2013, 02:57 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=423907

Quote:
Hockey Canada is making changes to reclaim its spot atop the international game, as the national governing body has parted ways with head scout Kevin Prendergast and goaltending consultant Ron Tugnutt.

"Those are not easy things to do, but we have to do it," Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson told delegates in their annual general meeting Friday morning in Charlottetown. "We're not panicking, but we do have the red light on saying, 'hey, we have to get better.'"
So, it begins.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Bobby G

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Tom Servo
Space Truckin'

vCash: 280
Yeah, cuz firing Ron Tugnutt is gonna improve Canada's goal tending situation.

Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Brewster

Well, that's a start. I would have been thoroughly disappointed had they not done at least a partial cleansing of the brass.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 02:46 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
I'm excited to see which hockey organization Prendergast gets fired from next!

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 07:59 AM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
I'm excited to see which hockey organization Prendergast gets fired from next!
I wonder who HC will turn to now? Which washed up goalie or washed up ex hockey scout they will turn too now. We need to bring in hockey people like the hunters sutters, I really don't know. That WJC coach last year ( can't remember his name) was the last straw. He was awful. A stacked team that only managed a 4 th place finish. Awful awful awful.

MyNameIsNobody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:03 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
I wonder who HC will turn to now? Which washed up goalie or washed up ex hockey scout they will turn too now. We need to bring in hockey people like the hunters sutters, I really don't know. That WJC coach last year ( can't remember his name) was the last straw. He was awful. A stacked team that only managed a 4 th place finish. Awful awful awful.
That would be Steve Spott

The man whose legacy will always be this

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 02:30 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post

Llol thanks. I wonder what he did with his cape? The cape of shame

Old
05-25-2013, 02:34 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Anyone who watched the Subway Super Series when Team OHL played the Russians and the 2012 40th Anniversary (of the summit series) junior tournament between Canada and Russia knew that we had no chance at the WJC gold with Spott behind the bench. He is just atrocious. Worst coach I've seen since Ron Wilson.

Old
05-25-2013, 03:22 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Anyone who watched the Subway Super Series when Team OHL played the Russians and the 2012 40th Anniversary (of the summit series) junior tournament between Canada and Russia knew that we had no chance at the WJC gold with Spott behind the bench. He is just atrocious. Worst coach I've seen since Ron Wilson.
Really ? He got a silver with a young American team. Although in Toronto that's another story.

Spott takes the cake with his cape

Old
05-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Really ? He got a silver with a young American team.
He also won a World Cup

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 03:53 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Really ? He got a silver with a young American team. Although in Toronto that's another story.

Spott takes the cake with his cape
I'm a die hard Leafs fan who doesn't miss one game, ever, and I can assure you that when Ron Wilson was still employed, he was the worst coach in the entire NHL. There's a reason that, even after a year since his termination, he hasn't found work. Also, I hardly think that coaching an All Star team to a 5-1 record makes him a good coach. That was an average team that was carried by Ryan Miller. All that the 2010 US Olympic team proves is the importance of elite goaltending in a short tournament and I think we all are aware of that already.

Old
05-25-2013, 05:04 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Any idea of the replacements? It's got to be pretty fast. Some summer tournaments and wjc camp are opening within 2 months.

Old
05-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Daisy Joy
Jerry is Gone :(

I'll read through the entire thread later - but I don't understand why they simply do not do this:

Re Institute the National team, at every level. Under 18, Under 16, Junior, Mens. the Women's team for the most part has been the same players, and then additions/substitutions are made when there needs to be. And the team KNOWS who they are, the chemistry is there, and the end. [and you can argue that it's women's hockey and it's pretty much the same two horses any way blah blah blah] but it doesn't negate that they are there.

I would assume at this point a part of the reason why we [Canadian royal] haven't been doing too well, is that we tend to rest on the whole "Well We're Just Better" mentality a bit too much. As in: we COULD throw anyone out there, and expect a gold medal to pop out of no where.

1: have a national coach. ONE. coach. with a staffing team.
1b: maybe start building a few more international sized rinks? that's the thing that takes us the most to adjust to. I don't know why it's just us because Americans seem to adapt just fine

2: have the national tream re-created
- I truly think this is key. It's not so much an issue for the United States, but most of Europe employs some type of national team schema anyway. Switzerland, Sweden, Russia etc. I know that Russia/Sweden/Finland will more times ditch that for Worlds & Olympics but still the "base" of the team are people who have played together for years then you supplement with the stars.

so create our "base" at every level, and then slide in our Crosbys, Nashs, etc so on so forths with in the team base.

Daisy Joy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 06:02 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

Just hearing his name gives me chills. Why was he even hired?

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 08:04 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
Just hearing his name gives me chills. Why was he even hired?
I'm actually starting to feel bad for the guy. I have never met him, and as much as I was pissed for his performance at the WJC, is it possible that he's a fine long-term coach (i.e. full season teams) who simply isn't good in short-term situations (national tourneys, SSS)?

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
I'm a die hard Leafs fan who doesn't miss one game, ever, and I can assure you that when Ron Wilson was still employed, he was the worst coach in the entire NHL. There's a reason that, even after a year since his termination, he hasn't found work. Also, I hardly think that coaching an All Star team to a 5-1 record makes him a good coach. That was an average team that was carried by Ryan Miller. All that the 2010 US Olympic team proves is the importance of elite goaltending in a short tournament and I think we all are aware of that already.
That was only 1 game.

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 05:00 AM
Mr Writer

RE: Spott
The first alarm bells with this guy were last summer leading up to the 4 game Super Series with the Russians, and this whole Mackinnon fiasco where Hockey Canada decided to pull out of their bag of tricks the BS rule of players having to play an U18 event before they can participate in an U20 event. You think any coach worth his salt would say F.U. Hockey Canada, he's on my team this coming Christmas, so he's coming to Russia with me this summer so I can evaluate what I got and I don't give a God Damn about your rule or the joke of the Ivan Hlinka tournament that Canada cuts through every August and 98% of the country doesn't give a rat's *** about it anyway."
Another thing which bothered me is that the Coach was quick to point out in the media during the selection camp and before the team departed for Russia, the idiot's name who came up with the whole Lamp nonsense. Somebody at Hockey Canada was feeding him a whole bunch of scientific nonsense and in the interview it was evident he wasn't comfortable with this whole lamp thing, so he outed Scott Salmond and threw him under the bus. i.e. if it becomes an issue, the press needs to direct their questions to this fool. Quote from Spott re: the lamps "I have to thank Scott Salmond at Hockey Canada. These guys think of everything." For those of you who don't know Salmond is sort of like the Team Manager of all Canadian teams at international events from ages U17 right up to the senior men's teams. He started in his current position in July 2010 right before they hired Pendergast. 2010 is the magical date...but I digress. I laughed when I saw the media scrum where Spott outed Salmond and my reaction was, oh boy, this doesn't bode well...
Then of course the whole stupid parading of players in the cape was ridiculous. I wrote all about it as it happened during the tournament, but mostly the reaction I got here was oh shut up, you complain too much. Kids are having fun.

So, with regards to Tugnut getting ****canned. I'm indifferent to that guy anyway.. Pendergast should have never been hired in the first place and should have been fired a long time ago. Next on the list of who should be fired? I think you can figure out who I believe should be next on that list.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 07:58 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
RE: Spott
The first alarm bells with this guy were last summer leading up to the 4 game Super Series with the Russians, and this whole Mackinnon fiasco where Hockey Canada decided to pull out of their bag of tricks the BS rule of players having to play an U18 event before they can participate in an U20 event. You think any coach worth his salt would say F.U. Hockey Canada, he's on my team this coming Christmas, so he's coming to Russia with me this summer so I can evaluate what I got and I don't give a God Damn about your rule or the joke of the Ivan Hlinka tournament that Canada cuts through every August and 98% of the country doesn't give a rat's *** about it anyway."
Another thing which bothered me is that the Coach was quick to point out in the media during the selection camp and before the team departed for Russia, the idiot's name who came up with the whole Lamp nonsense. Somebody at Hockey Canada was feeding him a whole bunch of scientific nonsense and in the interview it was evident he wasn't comfortable with this whole lamp thing, so he outed Scott Salmond and threw him under the bus. i.e. if it becomes an issue, the press needs to direct their questions to this fool. Quote from Spott re: the lamps "I have to thank Scott Salmond at Hockey Canada. These guys think of everything." For those of you who don't know Salmond is sort of like the Team Manager of all Canadian teams at international events from ages U17 right up to the senior men's teams. He started in his current position in July 2010 right before they hired Pendergast. 2010 is the magical date...but I digress. I laughed when I saw the media scrum where Spott outed Salmond and my reaction was, oh boy, this doesn't bode well...
Then of course the whole stupid parading of players in the cape was ridiculous. I wrote all about it as it happened during the tournament, but mostly the reaction I got here was oh shut up, you complain too much. Kids are having fun.

So, with regards to Tugnut getting ****canned. I'm indifferent to that guy anyway.. Pendergast should have never been hired in the first place and should have been fired a long time ago. Next on the list of who should be fired? I think you can figure out who I believe should be next on that list.
His manner with the media was just horrible. The other thing that bothered me was that grating "good Canadian kids don't dive" interview where he said that the coaches thought about giving them the "green light" to flop because that's what everyone else was going but decided not to because it wasn't the "Canadian way"...this, even though in the previous game Hamilton's and Huberdeau's diving had been apparent

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
His manner with the media was just horrible. The other thing that bothered me was that grating "good Canadian kids don't dive" interview where he said that the coaches thought about giving them the "green light" to flop because that's what everyone else was going but decided not to because it wasn't the "Canadian way"...this, even though in the previous game Hamilton's and Huberdeau's diving had been apparent
I haven't heard anything yet with regards to a new coach... the only rumor I heard was that it will be a "name" someone who carries a lot of clout.. i.e. the type of coach who can tell Salmond and the rest of the flunkies at Hockey Canada where to go if they try to pull any of their dip**** political BS. We can only hope.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:15 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
I'm actually starting to feel bad for the guy. I have never met him, and as much as I was pissed for his performance at the WJC, is it possible that he's a fine long-term coach (i.e. full season teams) who simply isn't good in short-term situations (national tourneys, SSS)?
His Rangers teams always underperform for the level of talent they have, and he's been either riding on the success of Pete DeBoer (his predecessor for whom he was assistant GM before DeBoer went to the NHL) or by having his team carried by high draft picks (Ryan Murphy) and American recruits (John Gibson). The guy's useless.

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 07:22 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
His Rangers teams always underperform for the level of talent they have, and he's been either riding on the success of Pete DeBoer (his predecessor for whom he was assistant GM before DeBoer went to the NHL) or by having his team carried by high draft picks (Ryan Murphy) and American recruits (John Gibson). The guy's useless.
Ya, can somebody please get a quote or soundbite from Steve Spott regarding Mackinnon's dominate performance at the Memorial Cup and his absolutely dominate game in the final... I'm curious to hear what he has to say.

Old
05-27-2013, 08:20 AM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Ya, can somebody please get a quote or soundbite from Steve Spott regarding Mackinnon's dominate performance at the Memorial Cup and his absolutely dominate game in the final... I'm curious to hear what he has to say.
Spott...LOLOL!!!!!!!

He will go down as the WORST coach in Canadian Junior history (WJC that is)... imagine...not playing Mackinnon at the WC !!!!!!

Just WOWOWOW!!!!!!

The CAPE !!!!! Boss boss...the cape..the cape !!!!!

Lolol

Old
06-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

@TSNBobMcKenzie 12:26 PM
Hockey Canada also expected to unveil new WJC management committee that includes Sutter, Jankowski, Kelowna GM Bruce Hamilton + others.

Also, Brent Sutter taking over Team Canada. Are these enough moves to shake up the organization and get Team Canada back on top?

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
@TSNBobMcKenzie 12:26 PM
Hockey Canada also expected to unveil new WJC management committee that includes Sutter, Jankowski, Kelowna GM Bruce Hamilton + others.

Also, Brent Sutter taking over Team Canada. Are these enough moves to shake up the organization and get Team Canada back on top?
Once Hockey Canada can get past their current philosophy of "this is a tournament for 19 year old players", then the quicker Team Canada can get back on top. This is a tournament of skill, not age. And if Team Canada for the Malmo tournament goes with a team comprised mostly of 1994 born players, then I put their chances at slim to none. 1995/96 born players and 1 very gifted 97 player is the way to go. 1993/94 not the best nor the deepest crop of talent the country has produced.