HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Breakup day updates

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2013, 01:17 PM
CM PUNK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Hank cant even sign an extension for 6 months so why would he have been discussing a new contract during this past season?
he can sign a contract this summer...last summer guys like crosby and jordan staal signed contract extensions around july 1st a full year before they would have become ufas

Old
05-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
What real chance did e get to prove himself. Kid hit everything that moved and he tried.. Others simply didn't even do that much

Old
05-27-2013, 01:19 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Henrik has always been a tough sign. In 2007,the Rangers took him to salary arbitration to get him off the market because of the Vanek offer sheet. The Rangers gave Lundqvist $4.25M for one year when Cam Ward with a Cup ring had signed for much less. Then in January of 2008,the Rangers paid Lundqvist a gold mine. The other goalies(besides Rinne) haven't come close to his salary and the contract is 5 years old. The Rangers will have to fork over another rich contract. No pay cuts or hometown discounts.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:20 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
What real chance did e get to prove himself. Kid hit everything that moved and he tried.. Others simply didn't even do that much
The whole line was an abortion.

3 dumb penalties in 13 minutes, more than double the the amount of shots against than for.

05-27-2013, 01:21 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Free agency begins July 5 this summer because of the lockout. Potential Group IIIs for 2014 are eligible to sign on July 5.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Henrik has always been a tough sign. In 2007,the Rangers took him to salary arbitration to get him off the market because of the Vanek offer sheet. The Rangers gave Lundqvist $4.25M for one year when Cam Ward with a Cup ring had signed for much less. Then in January of 2008,the Rangers paid Lundqvist a gold mine. The other goalies(besides Rinne) haven't come close to his salary and the contract is 5 years old. The Rangers will have to fork over another rich contract. No pay cuts or hometown discounts.
Exactly. Hank's hometown discount is, "I'll stay in New York if you pay me."

Old
05-27-2013, 01:23 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Jim Cerny ‏@JimCerny 38s
Torts said future of Brad Richards will be discussed at organizational meetings in late June "I do think he will rebound"

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
05-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Jim Cerny ‏@JimCerny 38s
Torts said future of Brad Richards will be discussed at organizational meetings in late June "I do think he will rebound"
For another team maybe.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

I disagree. Henrik will sign here for whatever he would have made elsewhere. There's no team that's in the flyers position when the signed Bryzgalov of just needing a goalie to be a true contender.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:25 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
For another team maybe.
you can put $$ on the fact that if we keep him he'll stink again but if we buy him out he'll be a lock for 30g, 80p somewhere else LOL

Old
05-27-2013, 01:26 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Exactly. Hank's hometown discount is, "I'll stay in New York if you pay me."
Which is reasonable. He's the best and deserves to get paid like it. Hopefully the numbers look like 8 years and 7M per. Henrik's quote is not very encouraging, but at the same time we should chalk it up to his frustration at another early exit.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Which is reasonable. He's the best and deserves to get paid like it. Hopefully the numbers look like 8 years and 7M per. Henrik's quote is not very encouraging, but at the same time we should chalk it up to his frustration at another early exit.
Well the issue is would the Rangers be better off signing a goalie for 4 million and having the cap flexibility to bring in another forward?

Is it worth Hank's elite goaltending when you could possibly improve in other areas(significantly). I think there is a fair argument for both sides.

Hank is also a unique case, in the sense, that he is extremely marketable outside of his goaltending. That also plays a factor imo.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Dunno why he would, though. There isn't a franchise player rule in the NHL. Henrik is the team, and knows it. He knows Sather would be nuts to let him go. You can bet his agent knows this, too. Baltimore had to give Flacco an outrageous contract because the GM knew how the fanbase would react to not re-signing a guy who had just won the Super Bowl.

It's not ideal for the cap, but NYR paying Henrik 7 million per is not unfair. Look how hard it is for other NHL teams to land quality goaltending. Philly and the disaster that was Bryzgalov. Ect.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:32 PM
CM PUNK

on hank...i could be dead wrong but i get the impression that winning is more important to him than $$ and his hesitation to say he'll sign isn't to squeeze every penny out of the rangers but to say to them 'prove to me you are going to improve the team in front of me cause i'm tired of whats been going on'

he knows that he'll get paid either way. so you aren't going to convince him to stay with an extra $1 mil. you'll convince him to stay by making him believe that he can win here with this team...

and i also think that hank is smart enough to realize that while he can demand a max deal and he would most likely get it. making any team pay him $10-12 mil/year is counterproductive toward the goal of winning and putting a better team in front of him.

hank seemed really down on the team during the playoffs and i think wants to see changes

Old
05-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
on hank...i could be dead wrong but i get the impression that winning is more important to him than $$ and his hesitation to say he'll sign isn't to squeeze every penny out of the rangers but to say to them 'prove to me you are going to improve the team in front of me cause i'm tired of whats been going on'

he knows that he'll get paid either way. so you aren't going to convince him to stay with an extra $1 mil. you'll convince him to stay by making him believe that he can win here with this team...

and i also think that hank is smart enough to realize that while he can demand a max deal and he would most likely get it. making any team pay him $10-12 mil/year is counterproductive toward the goal of winning and putting a better team in front of him.

hank seemed really down on the team during the playoffs and i think wants to see changes
I think its a little bit of both. But you got to remember the guy has expensive taste. Money is as much of a priority as winning is I would assume.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:35 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Well the issue is would the Rangers be better off signing a goalie for 4 million and having the cap flexibility to bring in another forward?

Is it worth Hank's elite goaltending when you could possibly improve in other areas(significantly). I think there is a fair argument for both sides.

Hank is also a unique case, in the sense, that he is extremely marketable outside of his goaltending. That also plays a factor imo.
There's an argument, I guess. But 3 Million is not enough to bring in an additional impact forward, and even if it was, there are no guarantees. You know what you're getting from Lundqvist (even at 32 by the start of his next deal).

Also, we have no goaltending prospects in the pipeline, nor a first or second rounder to groom his eventual replacement. Not getting any assets and letting Hank walk as a UFA would be a killer.

Lastly, which goalie would come here for 4M and make you feel comfortable between the pipes? Rinne makes 7M, Quick makes 6M, Price makes 6.5M. Lundqvist making 7 wouldn't be a big deal, LA has no problem bringing in star forwards with Quick's cap hit.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
you can put $$ on the fact that if we keep him he'll stink again but if we buy him out he'll be a lock for 30g, 80p somewhere else LOL
If that is the case, bye bye Richards. What he does for another team has no bearing on us.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:36 PM
3rd Guy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Because he provided nothing. Newbury too.
Haley was the only one that was willing to put hits on Boston's d rookies. Newbury, I agree, was useless.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
There's an argument, I guess. But 3 Million is not enough to bring in an additional impact forward, and even if it was, there are no guarantees. You know what you're getting from Lundqvist (even at 32 by the start of his next deal).

Also, we have no goaltending prospects in the pipeline, nor a first or second rounder to groom his eventual replacement. Not getting any assets and letting Hank walk as a UFA would be a killer.

Lastly, which goalie would come here for 4M and make you feel comfortable between the pipes? Rinne makes 7M, Quick makes 6M, Price makes 6.5M. Lundqvist making 7 wouldn't be a big deal, LA has no problem bringing in star forwards with Quick's cap hit.
I'm not disagreeing with you. The fact that the Rangers have refused to develop another goaltender gives them very little alternative.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Does anyone know what the team will look like next season? Why does Hank saying that boil down to him leaving?

Relax with the over analyzing, ask your doctor about anxiety, and accept the fact things happen the way they are supposed to.

I'm not worried about him leaving but if that's the indication Sather will move him for a king's ransom (pun slightly intended).

Old
05-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
If that is the case, bye bye Richards. What he does for another team has no bearing on us.
actually if that were to happen, it would show the whole world what Ranger fans already know, the system sucks ****.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:41 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:

quick's cap hit is $1.8 mil this year, it doesn't go up to $5.8 mil until next year. so la has yet to be forced to build a team in front of him at the high cap hit

but no question it can be done if hank makes the same $7 mil he makes now...our problem has been signing $7 mil players that turn into 4th liners. if those guys played like $7 mil players then we'd be fine...but what happens if hank wants 9, 10, 11 mil?

Old
05-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

From what i could read between the lines. Hank was upset with the early exit, expected more. If it's frustrating to us fans that the team still has problems scoring goals, imagine what it feels for him.
There were already some internal discussions, confirmed by the tweets, that there will be changes next season. Question is what kind of changes? Systemic changes? Personnel changes.
Hank wants to win in NY, no doubt in my mind but he will use his upcoming FA to drive some of the discussions.
Up to management to seriously address the obvious offensive woes.
The obvious starting point is the PP. If the team can be just average on the PP, it could have finished in top 3 in the conference.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
quick's cap hit is $1.8 mil this year, it doesn't go up to $5.8 mil until next year. so la has yet to be forced to build a team in front of him at the high cap hit

but no question it can be done if hank makes the same $7 mil he makes now...our problem has been signing $7 mil players that turn into 4th liners. if those guys played like $7 mil players then we'd be fine...but what happens if hank wants 9, 10, 11 mil?
He isn't going to go that far. But a 1 million dollar pay increase around a retirement contract, that certainly wouldn't be out of the question.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Guy High View Post
Haley was the only one that was willing to put hits on Boston's d rookies. Newbury, I agree, was useless.
I really hope that Haley is on this team next season. NYR really needs that "Prustifyer", a guy who is a sparkplug fighter that will drop the gloves with anyone and can play well at that.

Closed Thread