HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part V)

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

vCash: 500
I know there are better forwards than M. Richards, but I really want that Richards-Toews-Nash line to be there again. They can all skate, and their most dominant game was against Russia. I loved that line.

Old
05-27-2013, 06:40 AM
spfan

Hall-Crosby-Nash
Stamkos-Tavares-St Louis
Benn-Toews-Perry
E.Kane-Bergeron-Seguin
E.Staal

Keith-Weber
Pietrangelo-Doughty
Girardi-Letang
Hamhuis

Luongo
Smith
Price

Old
05-27-2013, 07:53 AM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Here is our center depth chart:

1. Crosby
2. Stamkos
3. Tavares
4. Toews
5. Giroux
6. Getzlaf
7. E. Staal

There's simply no room for Thornton at this point. We have too many natural centres and Thornton's game is not suited for the wing (where speed is even more crucial). I don't disagree that Thornton should be in the discussion, but imo he's in the same category that Reimer is in the goaltending department. Discussion worthy but almost no chance.
Maybe you're right. I agree that probably all the centers you mentioned are better than Thornton (Getzlaf and Staal could be equal) but let's not forget 3 or 4 of them will play LW/RW (Giroux, Staal, Tavares, Stamkos).

Old
05-27-2013, 07:58 AM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Eric Staal - Sidney Crosby - Claude Giroux
Steven Stamkos - John Tavares - Martin St. Louis
Jamie Benn - Jonathan Toews - Corey Perry
Logan Couture - Patrice Bergeron - Rick Nash
Ryan Getzlaf - Taylor Hall

Shea Weber - Alex Pietrangelo
Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty
Dan Hamhuis - PK Subban
Marc Staal - Kris Letang

Carey Price
Roberto Luongo
Mike Smith

My team at this point.
Looks goooood.

I'm not sure about Benn's play, but who knows. Like the D-men pairing.

Old
05-27-2013, 09:43 AM
TonsofPuppies*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
Maybe you're right. I agree that probably all the centers you mentioned are better than Thornton (Getzlaf and Staal could be equal) but let's not forget 3 or 4 of them will play LW/RW (Giroux, Staal, Tavares, Stamkos).
Yeah, on my current team, I have Tavares, Giroux and Staal playing wing, leaving Crosby, Stamkos, Toews and Getzlaf as our 4 centers.

J. Tavares - S. Crosby - C. Giroux
xxxxx - S. Stamkos - xxxxx
xxxxx - J. Toews - xxxxx
E. Staal - R. Getzlaf - xxxxx

Bergeron and Duchene get 13th and 14th forward spots and they are also centers. Tavares played LW while in Switzerland, Giroux was a RW prior to moving to center permanently in the NHL, Toews is awesome offensively and defensively, so he gets 3rd line C, Getzlaf gets 4th line.

J. Tavares - S. Crosby - C. Grioux
T. Hall - S. Stamkos - M. St. Louis
L. Couture - J. Toews - R. Nash
E. Staal - R. Getzlaf - C. Perry

Here are my 5 wingers. Hall is inarguably the best offensive LW we have, so he slides into our top six, next to Stamkos. St. Louis has incredible chemistry with Stamkos and is inarguably the best offensive RW we have available. St. Louis is an amazing playmaker and having two lethal snipers to set up should give this line immense offensive potential. Nash is primarily and offensive player but showed how capable he was in a shutdown role, playing with Toews in Vancouver. These two are reunited for obvious reasons. Logan Couture fills the last spot on the line, quite a solid defensive player himself and a higher calibre offensive player than Mike Richards, who held the spot in Vancouver. Great shutdown line with strong offensive potential. Perry is a natural fit on the 4th line RW, due to his existing chemistry with Getzlaf and will add yet more scoring depth, giving us 3 formidable offensive trios.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:10 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
Looks goooood.

I'm not sure about Benn's play, but who knows. Like the D-men pairing.
Easily can slot Hall in there instead of Benn.

Just a big fan of Benn.

Old
05-27-2013, 02:58 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfan View Post
Hall-Crosby-Nash
Stamkos-Tavares-St Louis
Benn-Toews-Perry
E.Kane-Bergeron-Seguin
E.Staal

Keith-Weber
Pietrangelo-Doughty
Girardi-Letang
Hamhuis

Luongo
Smith
Price
awful

Old
05-27-2013, 03:06 PM
spfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
awful
Explaination?

Old
05-27-2013, 03:13 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Explaination?
Not sure I'd call it awful.

However, no Giroux and no Subban certainly stick out. People can hate on PK all they want, but he is ahead of Girardi and probably Hamhuis to make that team..perhaps even Letang as well.

Giroux will be a top-six forward for Team Canada.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:18 PM
DyerMaker66

vCash: 547
I really like your 4th line though: E. Kane ftw.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:25 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Explaination?
Quote:
Not sure I'd call it awful.

However, no Giroux and no Subban certainly stick out. People can hate on PK all they want, but he is ahead of Girardi and probably Hamhuis to make that team..perhaps even Letang as well.

Giroux will be a top-six forward for Team Canada.
This + plus your goaltenders.

Perhaps awful was a heat of the moment comment, but your roster does not please me

Old
05-27-2013, 03:30 PM
DyerMaker66

No way PK is ahead of Letang.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:34 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
No way PK is ahead of Letang.
Why not? He's better defensively and I'd argue his game is just as effective on the big ice. He also gives Canada a big PP guy whereas Letang isn't very good on it.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:37 PM
spfan

Quote:
This + plus your goaltenders.

Perhaps awful was a heat of the moment comment, but your roster does not please me
Girardi is a true workhorse, he would be incredible on the PK, he won't need to play on the PP or produce offense. Nobody blocks shots like him and he plays very physical too. He was a big part in shutting down the "hot" Ovie and Caps.
And with Letang in the lineup, I don't see why they need Subban. Weber, Pietrangelo, Doughty and Keith are very capable of providing offense too. I could see Subban making too many risks and costing Canada a game. He's an X-factor and does deserve to be in the coversation, but in the end, I wouldn't want him there, yet atleast.

Luongo was the guy last time and he did fairly well. The goaltending is the biggest question no matter who it is. Mike Smith was incredible last year and played on an average team at best. Price is the most consistent, but I have yet to see him take his game to the next level. Cam Ward is in the same pool essentially as Price. Fleury has played excellent at times, but he's inconsistent.

And as for Giroux, he wasn't nearly as good this season and I think Hall and Nash would be better wingers for Crosby, as i'm very set on the 2nd line being Stamkos-Tavares-St Louis. Stamkos is a lock for the team of course and who has better chemistry with him than St Louis? Nobody is even close. St Louis may be old, but he's a better skater than most still and that is a big thing for the big ice, like most other people agree is important.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:43 PM
TLinden
Benning gonnaBenning

vCash: 50
Quote:
Girardi is a true workhorse, he would be incredible on the PK, he won't need to play on the PP or produce offense. Nobody blocks shots like him and he plays very physical too. He was a big part in shutting down the "hot" Ovie and Caps.
And with Letang in the lineup, I don't see why they need Subban. Weber, Pietrangelo, Doughty and Keith are very capable of providing offense too. I could see Subban making too many risks and costing Canada a game. He's an X-factor and does deserve to be in the coversation, but in the end, I wouldn't want him there, yet atleast.

Luongo was the guy last time and he did fairly well. The goaltending is the biggest question no matter who it is. Mike Smith was incredible last year and played on an average team at best. Price is the most consistent, but I have yet to see him take his game to the next level. Cam Ward is in the same pool essentially as Price. Fleury has played excellent at times, but he's inconsistent.

And as for Giroux, he wasn't nearly as good this season and I think Hall and Nash would be better wingers for Crosby, as i'm very set on the 2nd line being Stamkos-Tavares-St Louis. Stamkos is a lock for the team of course and who has better chemistry with him than St Louis? Nobody is even close. St Louis may be old, but he's a better skater than most still and that is a big thing for the big ice, like most other people agree is important.
Can't see Hockey Canada taking Girardi because they seem to put an emphasis on guys with all-around ability. A guy like Dan Hamhuis can shut down players, but also brings strong puck-moving abilities.

No slight to Girardi he is a top-notch guy, but the blueline will just be too deep for him to crack the team.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:45 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Who cares about Letang? He's far from the weakest link on that defense. Subban is miles better than Girardi, that's including the playoffs this year. You must have forgotten last season I guess, where despite Montreal being awful Subban was the best D on the second best PK in the league and producing very well on ES so he is quite capable of it. This season does not make him a one trick pony as many seem to think. He's a Norris nominee like Letang, if anyone has to go from that defense its definitely Girardi no questions asked. Come to think of it, my ''awful'' comment stems from the fact that you left off Subban even as the 7th defenseman.

Quote:
This team will live and die with Price at the helm, but Luongo will definitely have a chance to start if he's good enough, I just don't think Price will **** the bed next year and Luongo seems to be in a downward spiral for some time now.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:53 PM
spfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
Can't see Hockey Canada taking Girardi because they seem to put an emphasis on guys with all-around ability. A guy like Dan Hamhuis can shut down players, but also brings strong puck-moving abilities.

No slight to Girardi he is a top-notch guy, but the blueline will just be too deep for him to crack the team.
I probably can't convince you, but i'll continue on why I think he should.
Hamhuis is a good player and is a little better offensively, but I think Girardi is a little better defensively and that would be his job on the team. He wouldn't have to play 25 mins like he does with the NYR. I'd put Girardi right behind Chara and Weber as far as defensive abilities go.
Lundqvist was outstanding in the NYR/WSH series, but Girardi did play a big part in shutting down Ovie, who was probably the "hottest" goal scorer coming into the playoffs. He had a lot of missed shots/couldn't get shots off because of Girardi.

Regehr, Foote, Brewer are players Canada has taken before, so we have seen similiar players to Giradi on an Olympic Team Canada.
Foote and Brewer both being on the Gold winning 2002 team I might add.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:54 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Why not? He's better defensively and I'd argue his game is just as effective on the big ice. He also gives Canada a big PP guy whereas Letang isn't very good on it.
Letang is much more effective offensively: He got twice as many points as Subban in 7 less games.

Yeah, the guy who is first in powerplay points in the playoffs and was tenth in the regular season is clearly terrible on the powerplay.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Coach Travis
2016 Champs!!!

Is it me or is Canada's talent way more front-loaded than the back-end?

We could probably put together a 2nd unit of forwards that could compete at the International level while our Nation's best blueliners and goaltenders aren't nearly as dominant.

Old
05-27-2013, 04:00 PM
spfan

Quote:
Who cares about Letang? He's far from the weakest link on that defense. Subban is miles better than Girardi, that's including the playoffs this year. You must have forgotten last season I guess, where despite Montreal being awful Subban was the best D on the second best PK in the league and producing very well on ES so he is quite capable of it. This season does not make him a one trick pony as many seem to think. He's a Norris nominee like Letang, if anyone has to go from that defense its definitely Girardi no questions asked. Come to think of it, my ''awful'' comment stems from the fact that you left off Subban even as the 7th defenseman.

This team will live and die with Price at the helm, but Luongo will definitely have a chance to start if he's good enough, I just don't think Price will **** the bed next year and Luongo seems to be in a downward spiral for some time now.
Well are you saying that you want Price as the #1? Fair enough, but we're not in great shape with any goaltender, really.

I'm putting bigger emphasis on the defensive aspect of their games, that's why. Weber, Pietrangelo, Doughty and Keith are outstanding at both ends. Letang, Subban are outstanding in the offensive zone. Girardi, Hamhuis iare outstanding in the defensive zone. Letang would be the #1 PP guy, but it's not like Weber, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Keith can't do that either. At best, Subban is a 3rd pairing d-man, in my opinion.

Obviously you're a huge fan of him, so I doubt i'll convince you otherwise though.

Old
05-27-2013, 04:04 PM
spfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Is it me or is Canada's talent way more front-loaded than the back-end?

We could probably put together a 2nd unit of forwards that could compete at the International level while our Nation's best blueliners and goaltenders aren't nearly as dominant.
The back-end is excellent too.

Weber, Pietrangelo, Keith, Doughty, Letang, Girardi, Hamhuis, Staal, Subban, Bouwmeester, Seabrook, Campbell, Hamonic, Boyle, Burns, Phaneuf, Bieksa, Green.

That'd be 3 teams worth!

Old
05-27-2013, 04:10 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

vCash: 450
Quote:
Well are you saying that you want Price as the #1? Fair enough, but we're not in great shape with any goaltender, really.

I'm putting bigger emphasis on the defensive aspect of their games, that's why. Weber, Pietrangelo, Doughty and Keith are outstanding at both ends. Letang, Subban are outstanding in the offensive zone. Girardi, Hamhuis iare outstanding in the defensive zone. Letang would be the #1 PP guy, but it's not like Weber, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Keith can't do that either. At best, Subban is a 3rd pairing d-man, in my opinion.

Obviously you're a huge fan of him, so I doubt i'll convince you otherwise though.
After watching Letang and comparing him to Subban in these playoffs, I've come away with one noticeable difference: Subban works better under forechecking pressure. Letang makes great passes out of his end when given time. Too often have I seen Letang make hurried plays in his own end that became turnovers. Subban, by comparison, seems to make better decisions when taking the puck out of his zone, and part of that comes with his strength, allowing him to take the puck out even if he's dogged.

Same goes for the PP. I think Letang is a better passer than Subban on the PP, making those passes through the seams better than anyone, including Karlsson. I find Subban does a much better job at making simple plays and keeping the movement going.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I find myself more secure with Subban at this stage.

Old
05-27-2013, 04:12 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:

Yup we'll agree to disagree. And I can't say I blame you for viewing me as a homer but I've watched Subban a lot and I believe I am arguing for him in the interest of TC not in the interest of Subban.

But let me put this in an other way..

If Subban were to win the Norris (and no I'm not insinuating that he will) wouldn't it almost be considered a crime he be left off the roster? I understand Canada's D is deep, but can we afford that?

And follow-up question... is it that different that he win the Norris from being nominated? He clearly was a top 3 D this season in the NHL.

On top of that, he has a very good international experience + WJC medals where he played a big role (likely to be the same with TC-sr.) at both ends of the ice and was best defenseman. It's almost impossible to keep him off the roster in my opinion despite your defensive-heavy approach. Also Subban was practically a shut-down defenseman in 2011-2012 while still potting 36 points (very little pp pts).

Old
05-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Leidi J

Quote:
The back-end is excellent too.

Weber, Pietrangelo, Keith, Doughty, Letang, Girardi, Hamhuis, Staal, Subban, Bouwmeester, Seabrook, Campbell, Hamonic, Boyle, Burns, Phaneuf, Bieksa, Green.

That'd be 3 teams worth!
I'd like to see Burns there actually. I've been reading this thread and people keep talking about how you want speed on the big ice while others argue you want some big guys that can hit and grind on the boards. Burns is both, really difficult to get the puck away from. Rocket from the point/on the PP. Plus you can stick him on Forward or Defense.

Even if he's just one of the 14th Forward or 8th Dman, you're killing two birds with one stone to have someone that versatile.

It will probably depend on how he does next year, whether the Sharks keep him up front as a forward or puts him back at D. But it's an interesting thought experiment as a wild card. Just something for the people picking to consider...

Old
05-27-2013, 04:28 PM
spfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
After watching Letang and comparing him to Subban in these playoffs, I've come away with one noticeable difference: Subban works better under forechecking pressure. Letang makes great passes out of his end when given time. Too often have I seen Letang make hurried plays in his own end that became turnovers. Subban, by comparison, seems to make better decisions when taking the puck out of his zone, and part of that comes with his strength, allowing him to take the puck out even if he's dogged.

Same goes for the PP. I think Letang is a better passer than Subban on the PP, making those passes through the seams better than anyone, including Karlsson. I find Subban does a much better job at making simple plays and keeping the movement going.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I find myself more secure with Subban at this stage.
Good analysis. However, i'm concerned with Subban going over the top with his aggressive style and taking penalties, along with missing a big hit and left with a 2 on 1 or breakaway even.

Quote:
Yup we'll agree to disagree. And I can't say I blame you for viewing me as a homer but I've watched Subban a lot and I believe I am arguing for him in the interest of TC not in the interest of Subban.

But let me put this in an other way..

If Subban were to win the Norris (and no I'm not insinuating that he will) wouldn't it almost be considered a crime he be left off the roster? I understand Canada's D is deep, but can we afford that?

And follow-up question... is it that different that he win the Norris from being nominated? He clearly was a top 3 D this season in the NHL.

On top of that, he has a very good international experience + WJC medals where he played a big role (likely to be the same with TC-sr.) at both ends of the ice and was best defenseman. It's almost impossible to keep him off the roster in my opinion despite your defensive-heavy approach. Also Subban was practically a shut-down defenseman in 2011-2012 while still potting 36 points (very little pp pts).
Yep, like all of us, we want the best team out there and for them to win a Gold medal for our country!

I do like to put more stock in defense as I said before. I don't see it being a crime. Mike Green nearly won a Norris and maybe should have won it, but he didn't make Team Canada either. I just think Subban is not among the 7 best Canadian D-men. Subban would be great for the PP and providing offense, but I think they will be fine providing offense with all those excellent forwards and other d-men as well. Goaltending is everyones biggest concern and Girardi would really help out that situation more so than Subban and would be better on the PK than maybe anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPAVELSKI View Post
I'd like to see Burns there actually. I've been reading this thread and people keep talking about how you want speed on the big ice while others argue you want some big guys that can hit and grind on the boards. Burns is both, really difficult to get the puck away from. Rocket from the point/on the PP. Plus you can stick him on Forward or Defense.

Even if he's just one of the 14th Forward or 8th Dman, you're killing two birds with one stone to have someone that versatile.

It will probably depend on how he does next year, whether the Sharks keep him up front as a forward or puts him back at D. But it's an interesting thought experiment as a wild card. Just something for the people picking to consider...
I was just saying that the depth of the defense is very strong too, not just among the forwards. A lot of those d-men I listed could easily be on the final Team Canada.

I would say Burns earns an invite, but I wouldn't want him on the team. I just don't see any major strength in his game. I'd like him to be a bigger physical presence, given his size. It'd be interesting that he could switch from d-man to forward if there were an injury there, but I think there's much better forwards and d-man.

Closed Thread