HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Are the Pens going to re-sign Iginla?

Old
05-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Meichel Kane
My Name Is

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Id love Ryan on the pens. But that has to be Ryan+ for the pens to consider it.
With Letang a free agent after one year, I don't think that would happen.

Meichel Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 11:39 AM
ronnyweed

Iggy will sign 1 year cheap, then sign his final deal the next year with the cap up.

Guaranteed he stays

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Janko Unchained
Flames gonna flam

vCash: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Doubtful. If they win the cup, he'll almost certainly finish his career in Calgary, if you ask me.
Iginla sold his house in Calgary about a month ago, maybe a little more at this point... Iginla is probably looking to stay in Pittsburgh for the next few years, cup or no cup. He will probably finish his career in Calgary, but I don't think he'll be back for a few years yet.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 03:16 PM
BigMacJokinen

Pittsburgh would be wise to give Iginla only 1-year extension, if it's possible (if Iginla takes it), this gives better situation to Malkin and Letang extensions which are both crucial.

Also an interesting but bold move could be trading/dumping Fleury and going with Vokoun for a couple/few years and adress the goaltender situation in the future. This gives PIT cap relief for some time as they don't have much cap on goalies.

BigMacJokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
guys like Dupuis, Iginla or Kunitz won't get contracts longer than 2-3 years. it's the way Shero works...
All 3 could actually get 3+ year contracts to make the cap hit more friendly. This isn't the case of Sergei Gonchar where the team had Alex Goligoski and Kris Letang and could afford to let him walk. Pens let Kunitz, Dupuis and Iginla walk because of a year or two that they wanted extra and they're back in the same situation as before, trying to find better wingers for their 2 stud centers.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacJokinen View Post
Pittsburgh would be wise to give Iginla only 1-year extension, if it's possible (if Iginla takes it), this gives better situation to Malkin and Letang extensions which are both crucial.

Also an interesting but bold move could be trading/dumping Fleury and going with Vokoun for a couple/few years and adress the goaltender situation in the future. This gives PIT cap relief for some time as they don't have much cap on goalies.
Cap goes down for 1yr, then back up to probably what it is right now or even more if the revenue generated is better than expected. You also forget that Brooks Orpik is coming up to his final year next year (Paul Martin the year after), so even if Iginla signs an extension that is longer than 1year, the Pens are fine.

There will be casualties, like Tanner Glass, Tyler Kennedy, and maybe even one of the defensemen (Matt Niskanen maybe).

Shero is a smart GM, we don't have to worry as much as most.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames CBA Guy View Post
Iginla sold his house in Calgary about a month ago, maybe a little more at this point... Iginla is probably looking to stay in Pittsburgh for the next few years, cup or no cup. He will probably finish his career in Calgary, but I don't think he'll be back for a few years yet.
If by returning you mean sign a 1 day contract so he can retire a Flame just for the sake of retiring as a Flame, then yes, that is likely to happen the same way many have. But he could also just retire a Penguin after his extension is up and not worry about it as much. If he wanted to come back to the Flames, he would have kept his house, the guy has the cash flow to keep that house even as a summer home to return to. Instead, he's chosen to sell it altogether.

Old
05-27-2013, 04:56 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
i look at cap geek and it looks like they already have $56.4M committed....that means they only have $5M to spend in the offseason.

the team has to keep around $3M to spend for call ups and deadline deals.
The cap is $64.3 so that is just under $8 million in cap space. Whether or not they keep $3 million of that open might be the wisest move but my point was that it would be close to impossible to keep Iginla and fill out the rest or the team without any cap space clearing moves to go along with it.

They have the space to re-sign Iginla, but it handcuffs them and they would have to fill 3 positions with almost no money. If they were to re-sign Iginla and Dupuis they would not have enough money to fill out the team and they would not have any cap space if anything happens. They would have to play a roster of around 20 players like New Jersey had to do a couple of years ago. It would be crazy for them to do that.

I think their only hope to re-sign Iginla is to trade other players.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by icu View Post
Depends on Iginla.

If they win the cup, he probably returns and signs at 5 million per year for 5years, and finished his career with the Pens.

If they lose, he probably resigns at one year and tries to go for the cup again.
are you insane? Why in the world would Pittsburgh do this? You want to pay him 5 million at 41?!

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 06:12 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Doubtful. If they win the cup, he'll almost certainly finish his career in Calgary, if you ask me.
I strongly doubt just because he wins the cup he is willing to spend the last couple years of his career playing for lottery picks

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Trae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
If by returning you mean sign a 1 day contract so he can retire a Flame just for the sake of retiring as a Flame, then yes, that is likely to happen the same way many have. But he could also just retire a Penguin after his extension is up and not worry about it as much. If he wanted to come back to the Flames, he would have kept his house, the guy has the cash flow to keep that house even as a summer home to return to. Instead, he's chosen to sell it altogether.
He already has a summer home in BC. I don't think him selling his house in Calgary is an indication that he never intends on returning. I don't think he's played his last game as a Flame, but I also don't think he'll be back for a couple more years, at least. No need having 3 houses for the next three years, that's why he sold the house. Also gotta keep in mind that his family has grown together IN Calgary, all their friends and family reside in Alberta. Iginla will be back.

That being said, I think Pittsburgh re-signs him on an 10-11 million dollar, 2 year contract (without a NMC/NTC).

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 06:45 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 107
As a lot of us said prior to the trade, we don't see Iginla coming back until he is ready to hang them up.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Dying Alive
Phil = 2x Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Bobby Ryan for Kris Letang

Pittsburgh replaces Iggy with a younger legitimate weapon for Crosby's wing. They can pay Malkin his money. The loss of Letang stings but they have a good crop of young defenseman eager to make a splash on their roster.
I really like Bobby Ryan but the Pens really don't need forward/scoring help. Their game looks totally different - and not in a good way - when Letang is out of the line-up. He's still prone to bonehead mistakes at times but he's the most important guy on the team not named Crosby or Malkin. The only way he gets traded is if he's being completely unreasonable about signing an extension. Shero is really good about knowing where he stands with his players. If he's not traded at the draft, it's a safe assumption that he'll be in a Pens uniform for the foreseeable future.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 11:29 PM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 512
He's gonna go home to Edmonton

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 11:43 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

With our cap situation realistically its going to come down to which player management wants more... Iginla or Dupuis... Dupuis is going to want a raise, and flat out deserves one. Whether he takes a hometown discount on that raise or not is still to be seen. Rumors/conception about him is his family (which is big) love it in Pittsburgh, so that could factor into his willingness to take a discount. But it almost may not... This could be his only chance left to get a big payday for his family, and he isn't getting any younger. If he left for his chance at a big contract I would never hold it against him. And in all honesty I think it is what will happen.

With Iginla, if we do not sign Dupuis it comes down to here Iginla still values himself. He will not, and at his age shouldn't, get a matching contract to what he is currently signed. But if he wanted to take 4.5-5.5M on a 2-3 year deal I would gladly take him. But then again its all whether Iginla likes it here (from interviews I get the perception he does) and if him and management can come to an agreement on what his value is here.

It could also depend on if we move Orpik or not. We have a chance to build a legit top 6 on wings and center if we can shuffle in one of our cheap contracts in D to replace Orpik, someone like Pouliot or Dumoulin. If we move Orpik we could possibly if both of them accepted a lower end contract keep both of Dupuis and Iginla...

That last scenario is doubtful though. Just putting all my opinions out there.

I think most likely we resign him, I believe Dupuis will go else where to get his big payday to secure a future for his family, and Iginla now reaching the ECF with us (and possibly winning a cup) will have a taste of winning here and want to stay to have more of that taste.

But all of that is just my 2cents. Take it for what its worth.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote