HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Wrestling
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

What Is Your Opinion Of Daniel Bryan?

View Poll Results: What Is Your Opinion Of Daniel Bryan?
Yes! 43 86.00%
No! 1 2.00%
Indifferent. 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-06-2013, 05:47 AM
  #26
Fuzzy Bunny
Registered User
 
Fuzzy Bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,154
vCash: 500
As stated, he is the best pure wrestler in the industry. There are others that are up there but I give him the top spot.

Like Bret Hart he is not great on the mic but can pull out some great moments. I'm happy he has gotten some main event spotlight and he should be around for a long time barring any injuries. He is a very safe person (like CM Punk) to put the title on as they do live relatively clean lifestyles outside of the ring.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:55 AM
  #27
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,561
vCash: 500
Used to be a WWE fan in the early 2000s. Stopped watching for a long time. Came back in to watching a bit because of CM Punk. I basically watch RAW for Punk, Ziggler, AJ, the Shield, and Bryan.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:51 AM
  #28
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 12,204
vCash: 500
Ok, I'm a huge Bryan mark, but the comparison to Angle is a stretch. Kurt Angle simply dominated the company from about 2002-2006 when Austin, Rock, HHH were all injured/hiatus/etc and before the Cena God push. I disagree that he was never THE man.

GarbageGoal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:15 AM
  #29
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,977
vCash: 500
Best in the promotion in the ring. Very good at everything else. Body size will hold him back from being The Man.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:28 AM
  #30
CaptainCrunch67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,236
vCash: 500
I do like him a lot, but would I drive across town and pay $100.00 to watch him in the main event? Probably not, it would depend on who's in the main event with him.

To me he's going to tap at upper mid card status. He's going to be the guy that holds the middle title and is positioned as a credible threat to the main event guys but probably won't beat them in the big cards.

I give him credit, he's gone from a guy with no personality to a guy with lot of personality, you do have to credit Kane with being the perfect foil guy for that.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:07 PM
  #31
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,010
vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I know Bryan's very well liked on here, but I would be absolutely shocked if he reached the level of Kurt Angle.
The thing that made Angle so great was that he was versatile. He could carry a World Title, he could could be a vicious heel, he could fill out a mid card match, he could put over young talent, and he could be a comedy face. The only area he didn't excel in was on the mic, but even then he knew that and kept his promos short and on point. He was good enough on the mic to that he could get heat whenever he wanted it.

Angle was one of the most complete and well-rounded wrestlers in the history of the business, which made him an outstanding utility guy that you could put anywhere on the card.

Bryan has a lot of those qualities. He's still one of the most over guys in the company despite being buried in a comedy tag team with only one legitimate feud for the past 6 months or so (The Shield angle back in December). He always gets a reaction when he comes out.

The only thing Angle has that Bryan doesn't is the look and the amateur background, although Bryan's indy roots are pretty impressive in their own right. In terms of look, this is a different business than it was 15 years ago. You can be a legitimate champion without weighing 260 pounds. Vince trusted a guy who's barely 210 to hold his title for +400 days.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:38 PM
  #32
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dry Island
Posts: 9,767
vCash: 500
Let's not get carried away here, folks. Daniel Bryan will never even be a level below Kurt Angle. Kurt Angle easily out classes him in every aspect of professional wrestling.

That is not a slight against Bryan at all, though, because Kurt Angle is one of the best to have ever been in the business. Angle was a once in a generation talent IMO. One of the most complete packages I have ever seen. Angle had all the tools and the tool box.

He is more of a rich man's Dean Malenko than a poor man's Kurt Angle IMO.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:22 PM
  #33
CaptainCrunch67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,236
vCash: 500
I will always remember Angle as the comedy face, a role I didn't think he could pull off.

When he ripped off the Steve Austin beer truck entrance with a milk truck entrance and smashed two cartons of milk together before drinking then ala austin and his beer cans he had a fan for life from me.

while I'm not crazy about his work in TNA as I find it too cookie cutter, he is one of the great workers in the industry.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:13 AM
  #34
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 38,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dandy View Post
Let's not get carried away here, folks. Daniel Bryan will never even be a level below Kurt Angle. Kurt Angle easily out classes him in every aspect of professional wrestling.

That is not a slight against Bryan at all, though, because Kurt Angle is one of the best to have ever been in the business. Angle was a once in a generation talent IMO. One of the most complete packages I have ever seen. Angle had all the tools and the tool box.

He is more of a rich man's Dean Malenko than a poor man's Kurt Angle IMO.
Bryan's not in an environment that would allow him to be anything near what Kurt Angle was. WWE is purposely limited in their allowed move set. They are purposely limited in what they can say and do on the mic. It is an environment where he was never meant to be what he is at this point. If the powers-that-be had their way, Bryan wouldn't even be on television right now.

Angle was able to get over in an era that had a hell of a lot more freedom for their talents than there is now. At this point, Bryan is probably just happy to be there since he probably knows that it wasn't supposed to happen.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 05:12 PM
  #35
iamjs
Unregistered User
 
iamjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 9,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvelertak View Post
It's crazy how people critique his mic skills when they are not actually that bad.
They're not, but I'm sure there's a few that are tired of the yes, yes, yes.

But being that the WWE is a business that is partially driven by catchphrases, I don't see it going away anytime soon.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 07:22 AM
  #36
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,024
vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
They're not, but I'm sure there's a few that are tired of the yes, yes, yes.

But being that the WWE is a business that is partially driven by catchphrases, I don't see it going away anytime soon.
I thought his mic work was great when he was a heel.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 06:53 PM
  #37
Sens and Sabs
Neiled It
 
Sens and Sabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ottawa/Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 309
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sens and Sabs
Really entertaining and a great in-ring wrestler.

Sens and Sabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 06:54 PM
  #38
M.C.G. 31
Moderator
4/4 - CP31
 
M.C.G. 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Greece
Posts: 50,659
vCash: 233
Looks like his character is shifting into a more intense character. The crowd is really behind him right now. So much momentum if WWE books him properly.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:09 AM
  #39
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job
 
Leafs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond Hill
Country: Romania
Posts: 5,274
vCash: 500
So much wasted talent. He should headlining shows not doing that stupid team hell no thing

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:17 AM
  #40
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
So much wasted talent. He should headlining shows not doing that stupid team hell no thing
He isn't a big enough draw to headline shows. Its not him that's over, its his catchphrase.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:34 AM
  #41
The Shockmaster
SHOCK THE WORLD
 
The Shockmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,515
vCash: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
He isn't a big enough draw to headline shows. Its not him that's over, its his catchphrase.
I beg to differ.

The Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:48 AM
  #42
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 38,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
He isn't a big enough draw to headline shows. Its not him that's over, its his catchphrase.
I agree he isn't a big enough draw to headline shows but that's not really his fault. However, he is most assuredly over. It's not the catchphrase that keeps people into his matches. It's not the catchphrase that get people laughing when he's in character for one of their backstage segments or vignettes.

I think most people recognize the talent being there. If WWE ever got over themselves and got behind him, he could grow into a draw. However, since he didn't get over because of them and he's not their type of wrestler, I doubt he'll be more than what he is right now.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:46 PM
  #43
Starsfan24
Let's Go Cubbies
 
Starsfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denton, TX - UNT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,322
vCash: 500
Great wrestler. Better as a heel in my opinion.

Starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 03:54 PM
  #44
duckchobbins
Registered User
 
duckchobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 24,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael Sonnen View Post
Looks like his character is shifting into a more intense character. The crowd is really behind him right now. So much momentum if WWE books him properly.
I agree. I think they'll put him into a singles program with Ambrose, and let Kofi/Kane challenge for the tag titles, and I really think it would be a lot of fun to watch and be a good thing for all 6 guys.

Ambrose is a great Raven-esque heel, and Bryan would be a really strong face opponent. Not so much getting the kiddies to like him, but just simply playing it clean and being pitted against Ambrose it makes him an intense/head-gamey face. I think it would be entertaining as hell. Have Ambrose go over once, twice, three times even. Then finally Bryan beats him clean to take the title. It would do wonders for the US belt if they did it right.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 06:26 AM
  #45
Snipeshow
Registered User
 
Snipeshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
I agree. I think they'll put him into a singles program with Ambrose, and let Kofi/Kane challenge for the tag titles, and I really think it would be a lot of fun to watch and be a good thing for all 6 guys.

Ambrose is a great Raven-esque heel, and Bryan would be a really strong face opponent. Not so much getting the kiddies to like him, but just simply playing it clean and being pitted against Ambrose it makes him an intense/head-gamey face. I think it would be entertaining as hell. Have Ambrose go over once, twice, three times even. Then finally Bryan beats him clean to take the title. It would do wonders for the US belt if they did it right.
With WWE Creative, I present: Team Hell Boom!

The bolded is exactly what needs to happen with the IC title to bring some prestige back to it.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 08:24 PM
  #46
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I agree he isn't a big enough draw to headline shows but that's not really his fault. However, he is most assuredly over. It's not the catchphrase that keeps people into his matches. It's not the catchphrase that get people laughing when he's in character for one of their backstage segments or vignettes.

I think most people recognize the talent being there. If WWE ever got over themselves and got behind him, he could grow into a draw. However, since he didn't get over because of them and he's not their type of wrestler, I doubt he'll be more than what he is right now.
There's no questioning his ability in the ring, and people will always buy into his matches as a result, however there are three things people need to be really successful and those are

1) The look
2) In ring ability
3) Charisma

Bryan has number 2 in spades, but is entirely devoid of the other two.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 10:57 PM
  #47
DG
Registered User
 
DG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I know Bryan's very well liked on here, but I would be absolutely shocked if he reached the level of Kurt Angle.
Either that, or people aren't giving Kurt Angle in his WWE prime enough credit...

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 11:11 PM
  #48
The Shockmaster
SHOCK THE WORLD
 
The Shockmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,515
vCash: 932
I think Bryan has plenty of charisma.

The Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 11:53 PM
  #49
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 38,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
There's no questioning his ability in the ring, and people will always buy into his matches as a result, however there are three things people need to be really successful and those are

1) The look
2) In ring ability
3) Charisma

Bryan has number 2 in spades, but is entirely devoid of the other two.
I wouldn't say that those things are absolutely required to be really successful. Of course, that depends on what you define as really successful. How much charisma did The Undertaker really have? Did Mick Foley really have 'the look'? How much in-ring ability did Hulk Hogan or Ultimate Warrior have? Those are all guys that were really successful to a lot of people.

As for being devoid of charisma, I would have to disagree with you. Does he have it to the level of Rock, Austin, or Cena? Maybe not but it's pretty obvious he has his own type of charisma and I think he's been improving on it over his time. I agree wholeheartedly that he doesn't have the look but there have been many, many champions over the years that didn't have the look. Hell, Shawn Michaels doesn't really have the look. He had good looks but he didn't have the look. It's not required and in reality, every now and then, the guy that doesn't have 'the look' is the guy that people in the crowd most identify with.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.