HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) III

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2013, 01:12 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I could see that in a few years but Bournival will probably start out as a 4th liner.
The more I think about Dumont, the least I think he's got what it takes to be a good NHLer. The more he played this season, the least physically involved he was, and let's be honest, he's just too short to play an agitating/energy/forechecking game with efficiency. I'd rather we look elsewhere.

Bournival, to be, is not the player who would fit on a team's top-6, but is not your typical bottom-6er neither.

We have many tweeners in our prospects pool. It's time to bring diversity to the group filled by guys like Leblanc, Bournival, Dumont, Holland and everyone.

We have some great depth and diversity in our prospects on D. We lack some up front.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
The more I think about Dumont, the least I think he's got what it takes to be a good NHLer. The more he played this season, the least physically involved he was, and let's be honest, he's just too short to play an agitating/energy/forechecking game with efficiency. I'd rather we look elsewhere.

Bournival, to be, is not the player who would fit on a team's top-6, but is not your typical bottom-6er neither.

We have many tweeners in our prospects pool. It's time to bring diversity to the group filled by guys like Leblanc, Bournival, Dumont, Holland and everyone.

We have some great depth and diversity in our prospects on D. We lack some up front.
We don't, in my opinion, have the high-end forward prospects that make the tweeners expendable. Not sure if we're prepared to move from a top-9, collective-scoring-type model now or in the future. That's where these players are valued. Not high-end, specialized talents (physically, offensively, defensively etc.). Just solid, unspectacular hockey players you can put on 2nd or 3rd lines. However, I'm definitely for diversifying our prospects. I'd add Kristo to the Leblanc, Bournival, Holland mix despite his great stick handling ability and knack for offence.

Caron, Klingberg, and Chiasson are prospects I'd diversify our pool with. Something different. If not, we've got the draft coming up.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:46 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Galchenyuk
Eller
Bournival
Dumont

I could live with that provided we have some solid, larger wingers.
That looks terrible. All those players would have to reach the absolute ceiling of their potential in order for that lineup to be competitive.

Old
05-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Galchenyuk
Eller
Bournival
Dumont

I think that even 4-5 years from now Plekanec will be a better player than Bournival.

Old
05-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Galchenyuk
Eller
Bournival
Dumont

Galchenyuk
Plekanec
Eller
Whoever

Looks so much better.

I don't get why people want to get rid of Plekanec. Because we now have Galchenyuk and Eller? Montreal would be, for the first time in more than a decade, one of the top teams at center depth.

Plekanec is here to stay. Coaches love him and he eats minutes like no one can on this team. He's reliable and an excellent second line center.

Old
05-27-2013, 02:24 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Galchenyuk
Plekanec
Eller
Whoever

Looks so much better.

I don't get why people want to get rid of Plekanec. Because we now have Galchenyuk and Eller? Montreal would be, for the first time in more than a decade, one of the top teams at center depth.

Plekanec is here to stay. Coaches love him and he eats minutes like no one can on this team. He's reliable and an excellent second line center.
I had this too. My only problem with Pleks is that he doesn't bring anything come playoff time, especially recently. Maybe with a slightly diminished role (#1 PK unit along with #2 PP and #2 ES) might increase his effectiveness, but that's a big maybe. Honestly, I could see us getting rid of him when in a few years (possibly at the end of his contract) Eller is ready to take the second line AND Chucky is ready to be the #1 C. Till then, we keep Plekanec. Desharnais should be gone within the next 2-3 years too or sooner (preferably). Chucky should be a centreman, although keeping him on the wing a la Taylor Hall style might work out in the end for us. However, I'm of the belief that Galchenyuk was made to be the #1 C, especially for our team in about 4-5 years.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
I had this too. My only problem with Pleks is that he doesn't bring anything come playoff time, especially recently. Maybe with a slightly diminished role (#1 PK unit along with #2 PP and #2 ES) might increase his effectiveness, but that's a big maybe. Honestly, I could see us getting rid of him when in a few years (possibly at the end of his contract) Eller is ready to take the second line AND Chucky is ready to be the #1 C. Till then, we keep Plekanec. Desharnais should be gone within the next 2-3 years too or sooner (preferably). Chucky should be a centreman, although keeping him on the wing a la Taylor Hall style might work out in the end for us. However, I'm of the belief that Galchenyuk was made to be the #1 C, especially for our team in about 4-5 years.
Pleks has been the Habs best centre for yearsas never been giving a stud winger to play with. Gionta, Bourque , that piece of crap Kostitsyn. Except for the one big year with Kovalev it seems like Pleks alway plays with second liners.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Ginu

Quote:
The reason you don't see Pleks in the playoffs is because this team sucks. There's nobody else out there to mark the opponent's top line. He basically has to eat his pride come playoff time and hope that somebody else can step it up offensively. That's our only prayer of doing anything major with this current team. With somebody else stepping up, it may release him from his duties, but until this year when Eller stepped up, another center couldn't play defensively and for those minutes except him.

Old
05-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Draft

Reasons to move Plekanec:
He could bring in those 1st line wingers we haven't had so Galchenyuk doesn't suffer the same fate.
He'll be old before we're relevant.
He looks too good in a turtleneck.

Not much else. I would only move him for rebuilding purposes, love him as a player.

Old
05-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post

People on here talk about adding Talbot, why can't Dumont develop into a Talbot type player? Both guys were junior scoring starts that have to play a gritty, in your face kind of game in the NHL. Size is about the same also.

Old
05-27-2013, 05:45 PM
SnapVirus

I love Dumont

Old
05-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Not sure how anybody can say that about Plekanec, he's the best Habs forward most years and plays big minutes in many different roles.

If you want him to take off offensively like, say Krejci, you have to give him the best wingers and ice time designed to generate offense, not a ton of PK mintes and toufgh defensive matchups.

This year was even worse with Eller going down he got even more tough matchups dumped on him as Galchenyuk was highly protected(at center) and Desharnais is not the guy you want out too often against top lines.

Old
05-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Johnny B Good

Am I the only one who would be depressed if I saw Plekanec in another NHL jersey? I love the dude.

Old
05-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik963 View Post
Am I the only one who would be depressed if I saw Plekanec in another NHL jersey? I love the dude.
I don't see MB trading him any time soon. Maybe in 4-5 years if Eller and Galchenyuk own the top 2 spots and Plekanec becomes too expensive for #3. The mix of those 3 together is excellent, one guy with potential all star skills offensively plus 2 2 way guys taht can put up 50-70 points.

Old
05-27-2013, 06:08 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik963 View Post
It would hurt the most when he pulls that "one handed puck flip move that rarely works" on us and have it actually work.

Old
05-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Teufelsdreck

Like everyone else, I sense changes coming because of the dismal showing against the Senators. Tinordi will surely be a regular next season but Bergevin has to do more than just buy out Kaberle. The Rangers are a potential trading partner after their flop against the Bruins. They're deep in Dmen who are better than several of the Habs' regulars.

Old
05-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Like everyone else, I sense changes coming because of the dismal showing against the Senators. Tinordi will surely be a regular next season but Bergevin has to do more than just buy out Kaberle. The Rangers are a potential trading partner after their flop against the Bruins. They're deep in Dmen who are better than several of the Habs' regulars.
They have 4 d-men that could be upgrades on our top 6...Staal's career is in jeaopardy so pass on him. Del Zotto brings us more of what we have, bad fit. Girardi would be a perfect fit but he is their #1 guy, why would they trade him. McDonagh is usually their #3, same question. The others are depth guys and nothing special.

Old
05-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Johnny B Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
It would hurt the most when he pulls that "one handed puck flip move that rarely works" on us and have it actually work.
Every x-habs player looks like Crosby against us.

Old
05-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Habitant le colon

Value of :
Plekanec Collberg + MTL 1st 2013

???

Old
05-27-2013, 10:52 PM
elsubz

Some people are underrating so much TurtleNeck. Unless we're trading him for a clear upgrade at center which we will have to add +++ the guy is irreplaceable at the moment. Trading him for a winger would leave a huge hole in the middle and in our overall game. Pleks will forever be a habs!

Komisarek is a clear buyout this summer. Anyone would consider signing him as a 5th-6th dman? He wasn't doing so bad lately with the leafs. He was mainly kept scratched for his upcoming buyout.

Old
05-27-2013, 10:53 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
They have 4 d-men that could be upgrades on our top 6...Staal's career is in jeaopardy so pass on him. Del Zotto brings us more of what we have, bad fit. Girardi would be a perfect fit but he is their #1 guy, why would they trade him. McDonagh is usually their #3, same question. The others are depth guys and nothing special.
Agree 100%.

Do not want any of the Rangers D on this team.

Old
05-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
Value of :
Plekanec Collberg + MTL 1st 2013

???
Stafford, Ott, Adam, Varone & two 2nds

Old
05-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Galchenyuk
Eller
plekanec

Thats is your 3 center at the start of 2014-2015.
The problem is that neither of them is good on faceoffs.

Old
05-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
The problem is that neither of them is good on faceoffs.
Crosby was once very weak on face-offs. They can improve.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:18 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Pleks has been the Habs best centre for yearsas never been giving a stud winger to play with. Gionta, Bourque , that piece of crap Kostitsyn. Except for the one big year with Kovalev it seems like Pleks alway plays with second liners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
The reason you don't see Pleks in the playoffs is because this team sucks. There's nobody else out there to mark the opponent's top line. He basically has to eat his pride come playoff time and hope that somebody else can step it up offensively. That's our only prayer of doing anything major with this current team. With somebody else stepping up, it may release him from his duties, but until this year when Eller stepped up, another center couldn't play defensively and for those minutes except him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Not sure how anybody can say that about Plekanec, he's the best Habs forward most years and plays big minutes in many different roles.

If you want him to take off offensively like, say Krejci, you have to give him the best wingers and ice time designed to generate offense, not a ton of PK mintes and toufgh defensive matchups.

This year was even worse with Eller going down he got even more tough matchups dumped on him as Galchenyuk was highly protected(at center) and Desharnais is not the guy you want out too often against top lines.
You all misunderstood my post. Let me rephrase.

Pleks during the regular season has been one of our best players on a pretty consistent basis. Because, as Ginu said, he essentially has to play a more defensive game against the top unit of our opponent come playoff time. Zorba, your comment about the lack of quality wingers he's played with is quite valid, but Stephen Weiss, Matt Duchene (up until recently with Landeskog) have had similar issues and put up i guess similar numbers to Pleks or a bit better. Kessel has had the reverse for years (before Kadri's stellar play this year) with the same notion with a lack of a great centreman to feed great passes/set up great plays.

Now, I am of the belief that Eller by the end of next season should be ready to take a good portion of this work from Pleks. Pleks doesn't need to be gone now, but by the time we're relevant he probably won't have it in him to do what he does now and shut down the other team when we need him to be (I know it's hard to tell, but he'll probably be Markov's age when it happens and it is entirely possible he could play like Marky Mark or better given the less severe injuries he has had in comparison).

All in all, Pleks has been arguably our best centre ever since coming into the league i think 6-7 years ago (along with Koivu). Love the guy, but he needs help.

Closed Thread