HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) III

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2013, 12:51 AM
Zorba

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
You all misunderstood my post. Let me rephrase.

Pleks during the regular season has been one of our best players on a pretty consistent basis. Because, as Ginu said, he essentially has to play a more defensive game against the top unit of our opponent come playoff time. Zorba, your comment about the lack of quality wingers he's played with is quite valid, but Stephen Weiss, Matt Duchene (up until recently with Landeskog) have had similar issues and put up i guess similar numbers to Pleks or a bit better. Kessel has had the reverse for years (before Kadri's stellar play this year) with the same notion with a lack of a great centreman to feed great passes/set up great plays.

Now, I am of the belief that Eller by the end of next season should be ready to take a good portion of this work from Pleks. Pleks doesn't need to be gone now, but by the time we're relevant he probably won't have it in him to do what he does now and shut down the other team when we need him to be (I know it's hard to tell, but he'll probably be Markov's age when it happens and it is entirely possible he could play like Marky Mark or better given the less severe injuries he has had in comparison).

All in all, Pleks has been arguably our best centre ever since coming into the league i think 6-7 years ago (along with Koivu). Love the guy, but he needs help.
Then MB must maximize his trade potential. Id be sad to see him go but i do believe the time is now for Eller to step up and take over that role and eventually Galchenyuk will be the #1 guy. Im sure there are plenty of teams that would salivate to get Pleks

Old
05-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Roulin

If the Habs decide to move Plekanec for some youth, I'd bet on the Blues as the most likely trade partner. They are outside the conference, entering win-now mode, have a need at center, have a ton of young wingers and dmen, and Plekanec is smart enough to do well on a Hitchcock coached team.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
If the Habs decide to move Plekanec for some youth, I'd bet on the Blues as the most likely trade partner. They are outside the conference, entering win-now mode, have a need at center, have a ton of young wingers and dmen, and Plekanec is smart enough to do well on a Hitchcock coached team.
Switching to 4 divisions will open up more trade partners as we are only competing with TOR, OTT, BOS, BUF, DET, TB, and FLA for playoff spots.

Something around Berglund + Polak for Plekanec + would be what I am looking for but I have zero clue how STL fans value those two players. I would even be willing to add Emelin to the deal because, though Emelin for Polak is pretty lateral, it gets us a real RHD for the second pairing.

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Polak
Tinordi - Diaz
Cube

Edit: Looking up some stats it has Berglund listed as a C. I thought he was a winger, what does he normally play? Also Polak only averaged 18:30 this year so maybe I am over-estimating his ability to hold down the second pair. I guess the proposal needed a little more work. This is why I don't start threads on the trade board.

Last edited by Prairie Habs: 05-28-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old
05-28-2013, 02:34 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I wonder how much of this is from solid, reputable sources, and not just you talking out of your ass?
After the **** he and Radulov pulled in Nashville you'd have to be a moron to want him on your team.

Old
05-28-2013, 02:49 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Switching to 4 divisions will open up more trade partners as we are only competing with TOR, OTT, BOS, BUF, DET, TB, and FLA for playoff spots.

Something around Berglund + Polak for Plekanec + would be what I am looking for but I have zero clue how STL fans value those two players. I would even be willing to add Emelin to the deal because, though Emelin for Polak is pretty lateral, it gets us a real RHD for the second pairing.

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Polak
Tinordi - Diaz
Cube

Edit: Looking up some stats it has Berglund listed as a C. I thought he was a winger, what does he normally play? Also Polak only averaged 18:30 this year so maybe I am over-estimating his ability to hold down the second pair. I guess the proposal needed a little more work. This is why I don't start threads on the trade board.
Either Perron or Stewart would be of great value to the team. They're the young, high-end wingers you would want in return.

Old
05-28-2013, 02:57 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
After the **** he and Radulov pulled in Nashville you'd have to be a moron to want him on your team.
The five hours late for curfew thing was completely invented.

Old
05-28-2013, 02:58 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Polak
Tinordi - Diaz
Cube

Berglund only plays C, he's usually the 2C playing behind Backes. About league average on offense, respectable but not remarkable defensively, best known for being tall.

Polak is more or less a top 4 D, but unremarkable in that role. I wouldn't see him as an upgrade over Gorges or Emelin.

I wouldn't see much point to Berglund+Polak for Plekanec. You're dealing quality for quantity for two players that bring things you've already got to the table. More or less making the team worse, but younger.

Old
05-28-2013, 03:46 AM
Stripper

Wait, why exactly are we trying to trade Plekanec again? Because you see, in 2-3 years... I'd like to see Galchenyuk, Eller and Plekanec as our centers (in that order).

Old
05-28-2013, 04:00 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
Wait, why exactly are we trying to trade Plekanec again? Because you see, in 2-3 years... I'd like to see Galchenyuk, Eller and Plekanec as our centers (in that order).
Good asset management. Capitalizing on his current value and not waiting for it to plummet in 2-3 years. Depending on the return (Say, Plek for Chris Stewart), it would be like moving a 3rd liner for a 1st liner. It is much easier to sign or trade for a 3rd line center than it is to trade or sign a 1st liner. The only down side is that we lose his production without a reliable replacement for the next year to 2 years. Gotta capitalize on our depth and strength and trade from a position of strength.

Old
05-28-2013, 05:35 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
So when Plekanec re-signs, you expect him to take a solid pay cut? 'Cause I don't want to have a 5 M$ third line center...

Old
05-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Kwikwi

Quote:
I wish Leblanc could be our 3rd line center. A 35 pts pk guy. I wish...

Old
05-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Crosby was once very weak on face-offs. They can improve.
Until they do, it's a huge hole on this team though. PS: Plekanec has been in the league long enough that I doubt he'll ever improve on faceoffs.

Old
05-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

I get the whole trade Plekanec idea while his value is high... but his value will be the same after next season... and the habs are in a win now AND win in the future mode. Pleks is too valuable to this team now. Gally will be the #1 center, but he still needs the time to develop his center awareness and faceoffs.

Waiting one more season to trade pleks would be the best case scenario. You see if DD rebounds, you see if Eller really is on his way to being an elite 2-way center, you see if Gally is close to being that #1C.

I think it's a little too soon to trade pleks for anything other than an overpayment.

Old
05-28-2013, 08:00 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Good asset management. Capitalizing on his current value and not waiting for it to plummet in 2-3 years. Depending on the return (Say, Plek for Chris Stewart), it would be like moving a 3rd liner for a 1st liner. It is much easier to sign or trade for a 3rd line center than it is to trade or sign a 1st liner. The only down side is that we lose his production without a reliable replacement for the next year to 2 years. Gotta capitalize on our depth and strength and trade from a position of strength.
then, the league is filled with 30 stupid GMs as none of them trade players like him unless they're way out of the playoffs.

Old
05-28-2013, 08:07 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Polak
Tinordi - Diaz
Cube

I'm thinking more like Oshie for Pleks straight up. Oshie's been injury prone for a lot of his career. He put up 20 pts in 30 gp this year. Only about 3 years younger than Pleks. I think St. Louis would do this because Pleks is a fantastic two-way centreman that I think they could use. Oshie is great for us because a) he's a 1 inch upgrade in the height department and b) he's a skilled winger that would fit very well on the second line (or possibly the 1st line) if Gio isn't re-signed, which I hope he isn't (LET THE SMURFS GO/TRADE THE SMURFS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So when Plekanec re-signs, you expect him to take a solid pay cut? 'Cause I don't want to have a 5 M$ third line center...
I was actually thinking this...

More like in 2-3 years:

Galchenyuk
Plekanec
Eller

But I would like to see come 2014:

Galchenyuk
Eller
Boyle/McClement as a UFA signing Summer 2014.

Pleks would be traded at the deadline to a SC Contender team (St. Louis) in which we get a good prospect or 2nd round draft pick. However after thinking about this closer, I don't think trading Pleks would be the best idea down the road. It's a tough situation because if he continues to be the #1 C by the end of his contract (after 2015-16 season), then we'll have no choice but to re-sign him to a 2-3 year 5 mil/year deal again (or slightly less 4-4.5 mil). Issue I have with that is Galchenyuk and Eller will be ready to be the #1 and #2 come that time. However, having a veteran centre presence in the lineup without having to give up or overpay anyone else might be beneficial to us. If we restrict Pleks to a lot more defensive duties going forward and/or his production drops, maybe we can snag him at 3 mil/year after his contract is over in 2015-16. Just a thought.

Old
05-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
then, the league is filled with 30 stupid GMs as none of them trade players like him unless they're way out of the playoffs.
Jordan Staal, Brandon Dubinsky, Matthew Lombardi, Mike Fisher, Kris Versteeg, Lee Stempniak, Mike Richards.....? What do you mean "like him"? Each trade is different, a different set of circumstances. If Bergevin feels as if the Habs are better suited to compete in the future by trading Plekanec, and that the team can still be competitive with him gone, absolutely he'll do it. Heck, we don't even have to be competitive, we're rebuilding. Plekanec is a wonderful player, one of my favourite players. He brings a lot of benefits to the team but he can, and likely will, be replaced sooner or later. Players like him get traded all the time and he his by no means un-tradeable or irreplaceable.

Old
05-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
I'm thinking more like Oshie for Pleks straight up. Oshie's been injury prone for a lot of his career. He put up 20 pts in 30 gp this year. Only about 3 years younger than Pleks. I think St. Louis would do this because Pleks is a fantastic two-way centreman that I think they could use. Oshie is great for us because a) he's a 1 inch upgrade in the height department and b) he's a skilled winger that would fit very well on the second line (or possibly the 1st line) if Gio isn't re-signed, which I hope he isn't (LET THE SMURFS GO/TRADE THE SMURFS).

Pleks plays a much bigger role than Oshie would. Do not like that trade at all, personally.

Old
05-28-2013, 09:16 AM

Plekanec is arguably the Habs most valuable trading asset...at least from the point of view of players the Habs can trade without significantly mortgaging their future. They would be foolish to not entertain the idea of trading him, in fact, they should be dangling him all summer in order to try to accelerate our own 'rebuild'

Old
05-28-2013, 09:31 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Plekanec is arguably the Habs most valuable trading asset...at least from the point of view of players the Habs can trade without significantly mortgaging their future. They would be foolish to not entertain the idea of trading him, in fact, they should be dangling him all summer in order to try to accelerate our own 'rebuild'
Agreed...

Old
05-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury10 View Post
Please please don't even talk about Bieksa in a classy uniform like the Habs. I live in B.C. and when we're not getting bombarded with the blue and white plague of mediocrity and failure on HNIT, we get the Canucks jammed down our throat regularily. I have seen Bieksa well over 100x and he is the only guy that comes close to being as overrated as Neon Deon Phaneuf. He has some occasional flashes of talent on the PP and some rare good plays in his own end but his physical game consists of jumping equal or smaller players who have limited fighting ability. He runs from confrontations with anyone slightly larger than him and anyone who has fighting experience. I often find myself being embarrassed for him.
We have PK who embarrasses himself and the team often enough we don't need more of that in Bieksa without the upside that PK brings.
Yeah Pk is an ebarassment being nominated for taht Norris trophy and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Bergevin should target Big Buff. Physical and can be an assett offensively. These type of guys are the breed of the futur.
Too weak defensively and a poor work ethic, there is a reason he is the biggest player in the NHL. Not worth what he would cost(in assets) or his cap hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
We need to start thinking about our future D-corps. With Markov aging, and what seems to be a lack of a quality #3 (after Subban and Markov), we should call Phoenix and see if they are interested in a trade involving Yandle of Klesla. They need budget relief... I just don't know what to send back to them.

Maybe even trying to see if they have any interest in dealing RFA David Rundblad (just like they traded Turris for him, when his development stunted and the hold out occurred). Rundblad is 22 years old and has the time to turn into a quality d-man.
The future of the d-core is partly here and there are a bunch of young guys on the way who deserve a chance, why bring in somebody from outside who will cost a lot and will block their path?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Problem is that Sutter is 6'3 while Bournival is 6'0.
Bournival is much stronger on skates though, Sutter isn't very big. Tall and skinny.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Plekanec is a good performer at an extremely important position, where there is not a good supply of replacements. He's quite valuable to the team and I would be quite surprised if they could trade him and improve the club overall. I'd like to see more beef up the middle but in the meantime Plekanec is arguably the best 2-way player this team has.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Plekanec is a good performer at an extremely important position, where there is not a good supply of replacements. He's quite valuable to the team and I would be quite surprised if they could trade him and improve the club overall. I'd like to see more beef up the middle but in the meantime Plekanec is arguably the best 2-way player this team has.
Right now. We have several players who are looking to replace him in 1-2 years, at the #1, #2 AND #3 centre positions (Eller, Galchenyuk, DD, Bournival, Leblanc, any number of #3Cs). We don't have those same prospects at wing. None of us would claim that moving him will mean an immediate upgrade to our team, we likely wouldn't get someone back that would mitigate his loss for next year. However, in the future, when our team has a real chance to compete, our god-sent Galchenyuk is running on jet-fuel, we have a big shutdown centre in Eller and we are spending 5mil on Plekanec at #3C while (just as an example) Chris Stewart and David Perron are 1st liners.... I know I will regret not moving Plekanec. Purely hypothetical.

Keep in mind, I don't have a lot of faith in this year's success. I'm not expecting us to do well next year and I am much more interested in the long-term focus and success of the team. Not everyone wants us to go in that direction and there is definitely a case to be made for keeping Plekanec. If it weren't for the fact that I'm interested in a lot of the players potentially available this year, I'd say the best time to move him would be next offseason.

Long term (i.e. 1-2 years), it's not even a question.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:30 AM
RyanBostonRedsox
Long Live Chappelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I just clicked on the last page of this thread, so I'm assuming you're talking about Kostitsyn. I'd love to have him back. A player who hits like a tank and can score 15-25 goals a season is perfect on that third line. He and Eller had some chemistry as well.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Bournival is much stronger on skates though, Sutter isn't very big. Tall and skinny.
A bit off topic, but there's an interesting bit in Future Greats and Heartbreaks about Sutter's dad forbidding him to use any creatine supplements.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Either Perron or Stewart would be of great value to the team. They're the young, high-end wingers you would want in return.
I would call Perron high end. Perron has decent skills but a bit on the small side and not very durable.

Closed Thread