HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

What's your opinion with the Jackets moving to the East Conference

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-17-2013, 04:55 PM
  #26
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,007
vCash: 500
I'm going along with the general lin of thinking that it's good from a time-zone/travel perspexctive for both the players and the fans (especially those watching on TV).

Just too hard to say and too much in flux to discuss the competitiveness issue vis-a-vis the teams in the new division.

Personally, for my fan-dom, it's a little difficult. Having grown up in Pittsburgh I've been a Pens fan my whole life (I was born a year before that team). Flipping to a CBJ-first fan wasn't that difficult - Columbus had been my home for more than 10 years when the CBJ began play, and besides, the Pens were in the East, meaning there wasn't a significant amount of internal conflict. That'll obviously change - which is not to say there's a chance in hell I will ever revert to a Pens-first fan.

That said, I've got a built-in hatred for the Flyers, Rangers and Capitals that gives me a distinct advantage on some of you.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 05:42 PM
  #27
gojackets1
Someday.
 
gojackets1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 3,320
vCash: 500
I'm of the opinion that the East will have a hard time adjusting to the tight checking, relentless forechecking play of the Jackets. We easily match the speed of the East, they don't match our intensity, except for maybe the Bruins. It will be interesting to watch.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:46 PM
  #28
ZachACA
Registered User
 
ZachACA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I'm going along with the general lin of thinking that it's good from a time-zone/travel perspexctive for both the players and the fans (especially those watching on TV).

Just too hard to say and too much in flux to discuss the competitiveness issue vis-a-vis the teams in the new division.

Personally, for my fan-dom, it's a little difficult. Having grown up in Pittsburgh I've been a Pens fan my whole life (I was born a year before that team). Flipping to a CBJ-first fan wasn't that difficult - Columbus had been my home for more than 10 years when the CBJ began play, and besides, the Pens were in the East, meaning there wasn't a significant amount of internal conflict. That'll obviously change - which is not to say there's a chance in hell I will ever revert to a Pens-first fan.

That said, I've got a built-in hatred for the Flyers, Rangers and Capitals that gives me a distinct advantage on some of you.
I was a Pens fan for almost 20 years until I switched to CBJ first, so like you, I hate almost every team in this division.

ZachACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:28 AM
  #29
georgiabluejacket
Registered User
 
georgiabluejacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachACA View Post
I was a Pens fan for almost 20 years until I switched to CBJ first, so like you, I hate almost every team in this division.
I'm the opposite. Always been a fan of predominately western teams(Avs & Blackhawks. The Foote fiasco was a weird one for me) so now I don't have to root against them as much. I've always kind of followed the 'Canes though, but that was just because they were the whale & any team that played in a mall was my kind of team, but alas that is long gone.

georgiabluejacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:18 AM
  #30
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 160
I dont like the move. Don't like the inbalanced conferences. Don't like the idea that nearly every team in our new conference is further away than it takes to drive to Chicago, Detroit or Nashville. Don't like the idea of losing regional rivalries that were established over the last 10 years with teams that have existing rivalries that have been established over decades. And I can't wait till the NHL gives up on Phoenix and moves them to Quebec City and then we are all back in the same place we were before realignment.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:26 AM
  #31
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ
 
joshjoshjosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Guam
Country: Eritrea
Posts: 2,249
vCash: 500
I think having a conference with 16 and a conference with 14 is indefensibly stupid. So while it helps the Jackets in some tangible ways I can't say I support it.

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:33 AM
  #32
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshjosh View Post
I think having a conference with 16 and a conference with 14 is indefensibly stupid. So while it helps the Jackets in some tangible ways I can't say I support it.
I must be the only person the planet that doesn't bother in the slightest.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:56 AM
  #33
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I dont like the move. Don't like the inbalanced conferences. Don't like the idea that nearly every team in our new conference is further away than it takes to drive to Chicago, Detroit or Nashville. Don't like the idea of losing regional rivalries that were established over the last 10 years with teams that have existing rivalries that have been established over decades. And I can't wait till the NHL gives up on Phoenix and moves them to Quebec City and then we are all back in the same place we were before realignment.
I'm not sure if I buy that part. Buffalo and the Pens are certainly close, I used to live in Pittsburgh and I did a ton of work in Buffalo. I've driven to Washington in 6.5 hours.

As far as the rivalries go, we'll still in the same conference as Detroit and outside of Nashville and Detroit, I really didn't feel much in the way of rivalries with other teams. In most cases I felt more like a bug that needed to be squashed.

To be honest, I'm already far more interested in playing the Bruins, Flyers, Devils, and Rangers far more than Detroit, Nashville, Hawks, and Blues. I don't care what the fans think of potential rivalries, we face that in every conference.

I will say that I am thrilled beyond belief to no longer be in the same conference and division as Nashville. I was bored with the whole Darth Vader thing and their fan celebration(s).

I would much rather play Ottawa and Montreal over the Nucks, Oilers, and Flames. I roll my eyes at the Jets, mostly, to be honest. Oh Toronto has a team?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:09 AM
  #34
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I must be the only person the planet that doesn't bother in the slightest.
Not the only one.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:29 AM
  #35
davidbklyn
Registered User
 
davidbklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,537
vCash: 500
From a personal standpoint, living in NY, I've thrilled that I'll be able to see Jackets games in MSG and soon the Barclays regularly.

I also think it's better for the team, travel-wise.

On a philosophical level, I'll miss the old division, I was really starting to hate the other teams in our division Also, I just identify more with the cities represented in our old division. I like living where I live, but the Northeastern thing will always feel foreign to this Midwesterner. Imagine, they don't grow corn on Long Island, they harvest grapes for wine! I miss cornfields. At least Pittsburgh still feels familiar.

davidbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:50 AM
  #36
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
I'm of the opinion that the East will have a hard time adjusting to the tight checking, relentless forechecking play of the Jackets. We easily match the speed of the East, they don't match our intensity, except for maybe the Bruins. It will be interesting to watch.
While watching the SC games in the East, I am impressed by the speed most, if not all, teams show on offense. Much more so imo than West teams.

It will be interesting to see if the Jackets, should they continue their excellent checking all over the ice style, can slow them down or if Bob will be like a duck in a shooting gallery?

I worry about this. Thoughts?

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:38 AM
  #37
yave1964
22 and counting
 
yave1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lexington ohio
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
As a Wings fan, the same thing applies, We opened with a seven game series in Anaheim, if we beat Chicago then we will have another west coast series against either the Kings or Sharks.
Meanwhile, Boston played Toronto, New York, and likely Boston. The Wings in one series will put more miles than the Pens in three. This seems inheriting wrong. Columbus is close to a playoff team, they scared the heck out of me and frankly I was rooting for you to beat out the Wild.
So now, the Wings and Jackets are in the east where they belong.
The negative as I see it, we are both in a division with eight clubs, we have a fifty per cent chance to make the playoffs. The west has seven in a division with four making it, you they have a 57 percent chance to make it.
But I am sooo sick of four west coast trips a year, two to California and one to western Canada. One trip per city is going to be so much better.

And look at the natural rivalries. Columbus has not really developed a rivalry, in the new division with the Pens and other geographically close teams, the Jackets are developing a solid club and this move should be a blessing.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 11:18 AM
  #38
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
The playoffs are not a lottery, they are a competition. Win and you're in. Everyone plays the same number of games. It's base on records not number of teams.

__________________
__________________

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:00 PM
  #39
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
The playoffs are not a lottery, they are a competition. Win and you're in. Everyone plays the same number of games. It's base on records not number of teams.
Correction: It's based on records relative to the other teams, so the number of teams does matter.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
  #40
yave1964
22 and counting
 
yave1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lexington ohio
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Correction: It's based on records relative to the other teams, so the number of teams does matter.
Thanks, like I said EASTERN CONFERENCE eight teams fighting for four spots
WESTERN CONFERENCE seven teams fighting for four spots.

All things being equal you have a slightly better chance at making the playoffs in the west.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:19 PM
  #41
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
But all things are not equal

If you are better you make the playoffs.

If you are not you don't.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 03:52 PM
  #42
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
But all things are not equal

If you are better you make the playoffs.

If you are not you don't.
Agreed. It'll just be more of an honor to make the playoffs in the more difficult conference.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 07:40 PM
  #43
FlaggerX
Registered User
 
FlaggerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,155
vCash: 500
I like that I'll be a be able to watch a bunch more games. And I think we'll do well so long as Bob resigns for his actual value

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:50 PM
  #44
slightlystewpid420
Registered User
 
slightlystewpid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,158
vCash: 500
The realignment is setting up for league expansion. Seattle is primed for a NHL team(big hockey following) especially with the NBA turning them down, why not try to snag an NHL franchise. I dont know where else on the west you could put a team though.
As for the jackets i love it, it only makes sense. Being in the west always confused me and it will only make our team tougher playing in a tighter race for a playoff spot against high output offenses. We do need to acquire the RIGHT player to help out offensively this season to keep up though. Just like last season I feel there may be a slight adjustment period, it just wont be near as long.

slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 02:07 AM
  #45
georgiabluejacket
Registered User
 
georgiabluejacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
The realignment is setting up for league expansion. Seattle is primed for a NHL team(big hockey following) especially with the NBA turning them down, why not try to snag an NHL franchise. I dont know where else on the west you could put a team though.
I don't think they'll put another team in the West, but rather have four 8 team divisions. Play every team outside your division twice(48 games) play every team in your division 5 times(35, so play one only 4 times, 34) and you have a 82 game schedule with everybody having to travel. Then the only time a team has "extensive" travel is in the playoffs in which I don't think they'd complain to much. Something like:

EASTERN:

Lemieux Division
Pitt
Philly
Clb
Buf
Fla
TB
Wsh
Car

Orr Division
Bos
Mtl
Tor
NYR
NYI
NJ
Ott
Quebec

WESTERN

Gretzky Division
Edm.
Cgy
Van.
Seattle
L.A.
Ana
SJ
Pho

Howe Division
Det
Col
Chi
Nsh
Min
Win
StL
Dal

georgiabluejacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 03:09 AM
  #46
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
I don't think they'll put another team in the West, but rather have four 8 team divisions. Play every team outside your division twice(48 games) play every team in your division 5 times(35, so play one only 4 times, 34) and you have a 82 game schedule with everybody having to travel. Then the only time a team has "extensive" travel is in the playoffs in which I don't think they'd complain to much. Something like:

EASTERN:

Lemieux Division
Pitt
Philly
Clb
Buf
Fla
TB
Wsh
Car

Orr Division
Bos
Mtl
Tor
NYR
NYI
NJ
Ott
Quebec

WESTERN

Gretzky Division
Edm.
Cgy
Van.
Seattle
L.A.
Ana
SJ
Pho

Howe Division
Det
Col
Chi
Nsh
Min
Win
StL
Dal
This is almost the same as my proposal! Right down to the number of matchups and division names.
A couple things I'd do differently:

1) The biggest potential revenue/fanbase source is adding another team in Toronto. It's an order of magnitude bigger than the hockey following in Seattle, although Seattle's would grow in time. (I currently live in the Seattle area, and it has more in common with Phoenix than it does with Toronto when it comes to hockey culture.) Adding teams in Toronto and Seattle and not in Quebec, would be the best possibility in terms of revenue, but a Toronto-Quebec expansion would be the cleanest because of point#2:

2) Make sure that there are no more than two time zones in a division. So Colorado would go to the Pacific-Mountain "Gretzky" division, and Toronto 2 or Columbus would join Detroit in the Central-Eastern "Howe" division.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 03:37 AM
  #47
georgiabluejacket
Registered User
 
georgiabluejacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
1) The biggest potential revenue/fanbase source is adding another team in Toronto. It's an order of magnitude bigger than the hockey following in Seattle, although Seattle's would grow in time. (I currently live in the Seattle area, and it has more in common with Phoenix than it does with Toronto when it comes to hockey culture.) Adding teams in Toronto and Seattle and not in Quebec, would be the best possibility in terms of revenue, but a Toronto-Quebec expansion would be the cleanest because of point#2:

2) Make sure that there are no more than two time zones in a division. So Colorado would go to the Pacific-Mountain "Gretzky" division, and Toronto 2 or Columbus would join Detroit in the Central-Eastern "Howe" division.
-I don't see the NHL allowing 2 teams in the east, thus causing the 2 teams you just moved there to have to go back to the west. Although the NHL could always go to an 4 team, 8 division route ala the NFL

-Although I'm not "privy" to the going-ons in Seattle, I think they'd do good when it comes to hockey. They are desperate for some winter sports(since the NBA keeps bending them over) and I think people would show up just to spite David Stern, plus it'd be a natural rivalry for Vancouver. They are also already building a sports arena aren't they? If they are then they already have a place to play.

-Adding onto your "other potential places" to expand:
Whatever happened to K.C.? Although I'm skeptical about the validity of hockey there, they were serious about the penguins and already have a facility built.

Las Vegas, Although I think it would fail horribly(reasons Forbes said all pro sports teams would) I wouldn't be shocked to see the NHL try it.

Hartford, Bring back the Whale!!!!

georgiabluejacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 04:56 PM
  #48
Robert
BOB
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,044
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
I don't think they'll put another team in the West, but rather have four 8 team divisions. Play every team outside your division twice(48 games) play every team in your division 5 times(35, so play one only 4 times, 34) and you have a 82 game schedule with everybody having to travel. Then the only time a team has "extensive" travel is in the playoffs in which I don't think they'd complain to much. Something like:

EASTERN:

Lemieux Division
Pitt
Philly
Clb
Buf
Fla
TB
Wsh
Car

Orr Division
Bos
Mtl
Tor
NYR
NYI
NJ
Ott
Quebec

WESTERN

Gretzky Division
Edm.
Cgy
Van.
Seattle
L.A.
Ana
SJ
Pho

Howe Division
Det
Col
Chi
Nsh
Min
Win
StL
Dal
I do like this... the division names too... As for the playoffs, how about having the top three in each division seeded for the top 12 with the remaining four based on the best point count not seeded... this dilutes a weak division..

The only problem, Detroit will insist on being in whatever is called the East... therefore do away East and West and just have four North American conferences..


Last edited by Robert: 05-28-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 05:13 PM
  #49
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
The only problem, Detroit will insist on being in whatever is called the East... therefore do away East and West and just have four North American conferences..
The real reason Detroit wants to be in the East is that they don't want to be going through multiple time zones on their road trips, which is exhausting for the players and the fans who have to stay up so late. Sound familiar, Jacket fans?

The solution is to have all teams in divisions that don't include more than two time-zones, and keep extra-divisional play down to one away game per team.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:33 PM
  #50
georgiabluejacket
Registered User
 
georgiabluejacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
The only problem, Detroit will insist on being in whatever is called the East... therefore do away East and West and just have four North American conferences..
That's why you play everybody outside your division home & away. That way no one is traveling excessive amounts. Detroit couldn't complain about a west coast trip when everyone has to do it

georgiabluejacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.