HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumors and Speculation Thread #5 (June 8: Bob McKenzie's rumors [page 27])

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
I wouldnt mind the Flyers looking at guys like Clendening, Blum, Rundblad, or McBain if a deal could be worked around Read. If Read, with a small plus if necessary, doesn't get anybody good then I would go after Hainsey. You could pair him with Schenn for the next few years as a shutdown pair and let Timonen play with Coburn next year.

Timonen-Coburn
Hainsey-Schenn
Gus-Grossman
Mezz
That's a defense is good enough for the playoffs. Hainsey's cap hit will be overpriced but Timonen and Mezz are coming off the books after next year and the kids are coming.

Old
05-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I wouldnt mind the Flyers looking at guys like Clendening, Blum, Rundblad, or McBain if a deal could be worked around Read. If Read, with a small plus if necessary, doesn't get anybody good then I would go after Hainsey. You could pair him with Schenn for the next few years as a shutdown pair and let Timonen play with Coburn next year.

Timonen-Coburn
Hainsey-Schenn
Gus-Grossman
Mezz
That's a defense is good enough for the playoffs. Hainsey's cap hit will be overpriced but Timonen and Mezz are coming off the books after next year and the kids are coming.
I must have had a stroke. I thought I saw someone suggest using Hainsey in a shutdown role. Like the Nedved experiment (at forward) wasn't enough.

Old
05-27-2013, 11:47 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
I must have had a stroke. I thought I saw someone suggest using Hainsey in a shutdown role. Like the Nedved experiment (at forward) wasn't enough.
Take two of these:

Lie down and think happy thoughts about Shea Weber.

The upside I see about the current defensive roster is that there isn't a fall-off-the-cliff drop from one pairing to the next, so Laviolette doesn't have to run a top 2 into the ground. Schenn - Timonen could be considered the top pair, but Timonen's TOI should be a constant consideration for an 82-game season. With the (hopeful) emergence of Gustafsson arguably playing on the "third" pair, there is flexibility to distribute minutes judiciously so nobody is gassed by February.

Add another offensive-type Dman to play with Coburn, and we're all set for September.

Of course, with the inevitable injury epidemic, all logic is out the window.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:53 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The upside I see about the current defensive roster is that there isn't a fall-off-the-cliff drop from one pairing to the next, so Laviolette doesn't have to run a top 2 into the ground. Schenn - Timonen could be considered the top pair, but Timonen's TOI should be a constant consideration for an 82-game season. With the (hopeful) emergence of Gustafsson arguably playing on the "third" pair, there is flexibility to distribute minutes judiciously so nobody is gassed by February.

Add another offensive-type Dman to play with Coburn, and we're all set for September.

The best part of the Flyers defense is that we have 3 strong defensive defensemen under reasonable long term contracts. If we can find solid puckmoving options, we'll have an incredibly deep and strong defense. Gus looks promising as one fo those 3 necessary partners longer term... We know where Kimmo stands, but sadly, that illusive last defensemen will likely haunt us with images of Pronger and Weber stabbing us softly to sleep each night.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Take two of these:

Lie down and think happy thoughts about Shea Weber.

It's another condensed season with the Olympics in play, too. And if there's any chance he's omitted from Finland's roster, it's because time has finally caught up to Kimmo, which means we're screwed anyways. It's not going to be pretty, if players don't start playing to their potential.

Old
05-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Crashbangboom

Both Michael Raffl, forward, and Bernard Starkbaum, goalie, has recieved offers from the Flyers according to swedish media.

Old
05-28-2013, 08:00 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbangboom View Post
Both Michael Raffl, forward, and Bernard Starkbaum, goalie, has recieved offers from the Flyers according to swedish media.
I always kinda like these signings. Any info on them?

All i got is Raffl is 24 yr old 6"1 winger who had 46 points in 49 games in 2nd division Sweden.

Starkbaum is a 27 year old goalie who played in 1st division Sweden, a GAA of 2.06 and a sv% of .933.

Both are Austrian

Old
05-28-2013, 10:05 AM
JayB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

Both are Austrian
Vanek´s friends? So Vanek is coming in ?

Old
05-28-2013, 10:36 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Vanek´s friends? So Vanek is coming in ?
This obviously means the return of Andreas "Better than JVR" Nodl.

Old
05-28-2013, 10:45 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
This obviously means the return of Andreas "Better than JVR" Nodl.
most confusing player ever.

plays college and is a point producer that sucks defensively. starts playing pro and works on his defensive game, then completely forgets how to play on the offensive side of the puck

Old
05-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
most confusing player ever.

plays college and is a point producer that sucks defensively. starts playing pro and works on his defensive game, then completely forgets how to play on the offensive side of the puck
Yet was pretty solid defensively.

Edit: Oh, you covered that.

05-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Prongo
Beer

New York is starting to get scared that Lundy might not stay there long term. We really need to have a great season this year and show him that we are the best place for a stanley cup! Other teams will have their goalies locked up, and we have a a big need for him! I would love the reaction from New York fans if he did hit the UFA market and signed here. Probably would be worse than the Jagr ordeal.

Larry Brooks thinks he will get a 80 million 8 year deal if he stays in New York. We might not have the cap room, but need to make it happen lol.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:34 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
This was a quote I found funny from Brooks' article today on Lundqvist's future with the Rags:

Quote:
While management is dealing with Lundqvist, it is also essential to sign restricted free agent defenseman Ryan McDonagh to a contract before he becomes eligible for an offer sheet from, say, the Flyers.

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers...h0VhDr1jkiKCXO

Old
05-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
This was a quote I found funny from Brooks' article today on Lundqvist's future with the Rags:

Every single high end defender who is a RFA is mentioned to get an offer sheet from the Flyers. It is pretty funny actually.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:43 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Offer sheet everyone.

05-28-2013, 11:49 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Every single high end defender who is a RFA is mentioned to get an offer sheet from the Flyers. It is pretty funny actually.
just like every potential RFA we have will be signed to a revenge offer sheet!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Old
05-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Rolex

Quote:

Brooks has no info on the Rangers. What did Tortorello tell him?

Old
05-28-2013, 02:04 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
Brooks has no info on the Rangers. What did Tortorello tell him?
Something along the lines of

Old
05-28-2013, 02:42 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Offer sheet everyone.

Old
05-28-2013, 02:46 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Something along the lines of
Very creative (and amusing), but my phone hates the donkey.

Old
05-28-2013, 03:27 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Some more information on Raffl. Currently has a contract with his Swedish club but the club said that if the Flyers (or Preds) pay for compensation they will let him go. Raffl played on Austria's top line with Vanek during the World Championship.

Starkbaum was Austria's starting goalie and at times carried him against all the other teams. Watching highlights though (and only that) he did let in some easy goals. Seems like an AHL goalie who would compete with Heeter. Raffl would most likely compete for an NHL spot but play in the AHL. Raffl seems to have some good solid two way ability with some offensive step.

Also Flyers confirmed the interests.

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...ustian-winger/

Old
05-28-2013, 03:38 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Some more information on Raffl. Currently has a contract with his Swedish club but the club said that if the Flyers (or Preds) pay for compensation they will let him go. Raffl played on Austria's top line with Vanek during the World Championship.

Starkbaum was Austria's starting goalie and at times carried him against all the other teams. Watching highlights though (and only that) he did let in some easy goals. Seems like an AHL goalie who would compete with Heeter. Raffl would most likely compete for an NHL spot but play in the AHL. Raffl seems to have some good solid two way ability with some offensive step.

Also Flyers confirmed the interests.

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...ustian-winger/
so basically Raffl is Mika Pyorala v2.0

Old
05-28-2013, 04:05 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
so basically Raffl is Mika Pyorala v2.0
Hmmm guess you can say that. Pyorala was used badly though (wasnt a top line forward), so hopefully, depending on how he plays (well if he is signed anyway) Raffl is used better. I do think Raffl might have some more offensive upside plus I dont think he plays center like Pyorala did.

But this is all if he actually signs and actually makes the team. My guess is if he signs he's on the Phantoms.

Old
05-28-2013, 07:40 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Well now:

Quote:
@RenLavoieRDS: Patrick Roy told Joe Sakic today that the team needs to study the possibility of trading the team first round pick
5:42pm - 28 May 13

Old
05-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Viller

Quote:
Well now:
That means nothing. A GM who doesn't look what could be had is simply not doing his job.

Closed Thread