HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2013, 09:59 PM
abootzky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
For sure, I'm just saying. The key point though is we don't know that Reed was doing part of both roles, this is hearsay coming from the org that reads to me like an excuse.

But like I said, even if he did have a hand in both roles he was poor in both.

This is the worst on field management since Maciocia.
Is? Is there a secret season that's going on right now that only you know about?

Obviously I'm kidding and even more obviously I'm hoping for a focus change when I resort to picking on your verb tense. Training camp is almost upon us, Coach Kavis has been hired for another season and, for better or worse, the RESET button has been hit when it comes to assessing him. I'm now far more interested in seeing if he proves himself as a competent HC in 2013 than I am in endlessly rehashing how he mishandled things back in 2011 and 12. I'm a wait and see type of fan and thankfully the 'wait' part is almost over.

Old
05-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Is? Is there a secret season that's going on right now that only you know about?

Obviously I'm kidding and even more obviously I'm hoping for a focus change when I resort to picking on your verb tense. Training camp is almost upon us, Coach Kavis has been hired for another season and, for better or worse, the RESET button has been hit when it comes to assessing him. I'm now far more interested in seeing if he proves himself as a competent HC in 2013 than I am in endlessly rehashing how he mishandled things back in 2011 and 12. I'm a wait and see type of fan and thankfully the 'wait' part is almost over.
I guess the problem with hitting the "reset" button is that you're still playing the same game.
We're getting sick of the esks year after year having poor management and coaching and having it filter down to the quality of players and the quality of play on the field.

you have to forgive some of us who tend to think on the cynical side when it comes to pro sports in Edmonton. usually "wait and see" has become seeing more of the same crap.

Old
05-28-2013, 09:22 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I guess the problem with hitting the "reset" button is that you're still playing the same game.
We're getting sick of the esks year after year having poor management and coaching and having it filter down to the quality of players and the quality of play on the field.

you have to forgive some of us who tend to think on the cynical side when it comes to pro sports in Edmonton. usually "wait and see" has become seeing more of the same crap.
I absolutely understand the cynicism. With me, it surfaces a lot more with the Oilers than it does with the Eskimos for some reason. I wasn't thrilled with the hiring of either Maciocia or Tillman as Esks GM but I waited for them to fail before I turned on them. Based on nothing more than a gut feeling, I think things (including the performance of the head coach) will be better under Hervey. Not surprisingly, I'm not nearly as optimistic about about new GM MacT and the Oilers maybe because the Esks don't have as far to go to be decent as the Oil.

Old
05-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I absolutely understand the cynicism. With me, it surfaces a lot more with the Oilers than it does with the Eskimos for some reason. I wasn't thrilled with the hiring of either Maciocia or Tillman as Esks GM but I waited for them to fail before I turned on them. Based on nothing more than a gut feeling, I think things (including the performance of the head coach) will be better under Hervey. Not surprisingly, I'm not nearly as optimistic about about new GM MacT and the Oilers maybe because the Esks don't have as far to go to be decent as the Oil.
I'm completely the opposite because I realize that historically the Esks org has had every conceivable advantage operating in a turnkey market with diehard fans and with predictable revenue, fan support, other clubs could only dream of and while playing in the best facility in the nation.

The org has parlayed this into being the laughingstock of the league. Not impressed.

The Oilers org is competing in the deep pond against sharks.

In the CFL all that separates a team from a Grey cup is having a competent org for a couple years.

Old
05-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Beerfish

"Hitting the Reset button" is what the oilers do to deflect their over all incompetence.

The things most of us are critical of Reed about are things that have nothing to do with the sorry assed gm we had last year. they are things that have been present his 1st two years.

Poor in game coaching decisions. Bewildering players selections before games. Poor attention to detail and basic simple errors. Very poor body language and terrible on the sideline performance. Lack of discipline re penalties.

No, there is no reset button as far as I'm concerned.

Old
05-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
"Hitting the Reset button" is what the oilers do to deflect their over all incompetence.

The things most of us are critical of Reed about are things that have nothing to do with the sorry assed gm we had last year. they are things that have been present his 1st two years.

Poor in game coaching decisions. Bewildering players selections before games. Poor attention to detail and basic simple errors. Very poor body language and terrible on the sideline performance. Lack of discipline re penalties.

Yep, that they are remaining with Reed as coach after his body of work here is startling. That Hervey went out of his way to endorse Reed continuing and saying hes been a good coach is insulting to the fanbase that has had to endure Reeds incompetence.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:50 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:

Completely agree on all points.

The issue with the Esks IMO is with Len Rhodes.

Here are some quotes from Len regarding Reed....

Quote:
“I want Kavis to be part of the long-term future of this football club. Kavis has assured me that he’s still very much committed to the organization and the community.

“Kavis walks the talk. He’s just a fabulous person,” he said of the former Eskimos player in the ’90s who was an assistant coach for a decade with various teams in the league and never moved his family away from Edmonton.

Full article here.... http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/11/2...ones-interview

Len thinks Kavis is a great guy. Thats all well and good but what if anything does being a great guy have to do with being a successful coach?

Why was Len even commenting on Kavis Reed and handcuffing the GM from hiring his own man? Of course Hervey is going to say nice things about Reed after his boss makes the coaching decision for him. It is the GM's responsibility to decide on who coaches the team...not the CEO who knows little to nothing about football.

What a joke.

Why is it that the Board thinks that someone like Len Rhodes (who is clearly learning as he goes) was the best person for the CEO position?

Something is rotten with this team and you have to look way above Kavis Reed to see it.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Beerfish

Rhodes = Lelacheur, exactly the same.

A guy that doesn't know enough about football falls in love with a football guy and can see no wrong. That is how DM ended up as the GM and the start of the downfall of the team.

Old
05-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Kyle McMahon

Tillman wasn't the one who made Reed run a pass-happy offense, despite the fact that the team was clearly built to be run-heavy, nor did he force him to start Kerry Joseph in a playoff game.

Reed shouldn't have been brought back, and I have limited faith he will revert to his 2011 form. If it's a repeat of last year to start the season (no punter on the field for a punt, for example), he better be gone.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:19 PM
abootzky

Quote:

Ah, but he's back with a different GM and coordinators so apparently there is. If Kavis doesn't leave those very real issues you mentioned behind, there will be no 2nd RESET for him. I hope he does, not because I think he & Hervey are good guys but because him doing so will most likely result in an improved on-field performance by the Eskimos.

The key word in all of that was 'hope' just like I had before Jauch, Campbell and Lancaster proved to be successful. I also had it before the likes of Ketella, Stephenson, Matthews (as head coach), Maciocia and Hall proved not to be. I'm willing to see how Reed's 3rd season goes before I decide which category he fits in.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:17 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
David William Naylor ‏@TSNDaveNaylor 1m
JaMarcus Russell wants to play in CFL? As of yesterday, no team in Canada owned his rights. So bid away. #CFL

Old
05-29-2013, 09:21 AM
joestevens29

How come this thread doesn't show up for me. I have to search it. Can't find it on my ignored list either.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:03 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
David William Naylor ‏@TSNDaveNaylor 1m
JaMarcus Russell wants to play in CFL? As of yesterday, no team in Canada owned his rights. So bid away. #CFL
Hes got great tools but hes also a recovering addict and managed to burn 30 million. I know theres a shortage of quarterbacks but darn thats crazy

Old
05-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Kyle McMahon

Funny that these NFL washouts think they can simply come up here to revive their career. Jamarcus is one of the worst QBs I've ever seen, it takes a special kind of player to go 1st overall and then not even get a contract offer after the team that drafted you cuts you after 3 years.

Old
05-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Funny that these NFL washouts think they can simply come up here to revive their career. Jamarcus is one of the worst QBs I've ever seen, it takes a special kind of player to go 1st overall and then not even get a contract offer after the team that drafted you cuts you after 3 years.
It's always the QB's too. And they always fail horribly up here.

Old
05-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Auguste Escoffier

He lost 30lbs, he is now hovering just over 260lbs.

Holy moly.

Old
05-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Pablo Aimar

REDBLACKS

HAHA

Old
05-30-2013, 06:59 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

It's an incredibly stupid name but if their helmets and jerseys resemble the Rough Riders' gear then I'll be okay with it.

Old
05-30-2013, 07:37 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
He lost 30lbs, he is now hovering just over 260lbs.

Holy moly.
Haha no man he was 308. He's 265 now so about 40 pounds. There's actually a documentary on it on bleacher report I believe you can watch it. It's a nice story hopefully the guy keeps living right but I think his football career his probably over

Old
05-31-2013, 12:00 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Jamarcus Russell has an arm like I've never seen in football before. That said, he's a terrible quarterback.

05-31-2013, 10:03 AM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
A little disappointing, but at least Ottawa is getting their team back. I personally think they should have went with Rouge to keep the red (and possibly black color scheme), appeal to the Canadian game itself and the french market all at once. They missed an opportunity there I think.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Copperhead

Quote:
Yeah...wow...not sure who decided on that name. It sounds ridiculous and also feels like it should be offensive somehow at the same time. Good job everyone!

Old
05-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Beerfish

Cracker Redblacks came in 2nd place.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:22 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Whats a redblack????? This leaves me more confused then when I first heard of the NAIT Ooks.

05-31-2013, 11:30 AM
joestevens29

Terry Jones ‏@sunterryjones 8m
Edmonton downtown arena designers please note. New Winnipeg football stadium botched press box. Impossible to host Grey Cup without re-build

Closed Thread