Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

OT---NE Rev's Dempsey named US Soccer Player Of The Year

Old
10-03-2006, 10:33 PM
BubbaBoot

vCash: 500
OT---NE Rev's Dempsey named US Soccer Player Of The Year

The guy is a gem.....the last regular season home game is OCT.14, see him while you can...he's going to Europe next year.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...yerofyear.html

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 01:06 AM
Captain Newcastle

No surprise there. He was the one shining star on the US Team this WC.

Captain Newcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 06:21 AM
BruinsGirl

His goal at WC was incredible!

BruinsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Shinny

He is an incredibly talented guy. I'll miss seeing him play regularly when he heads to Europe to play though. Hope he has a good playoff for the Revs.

Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Jeff6582

he might need to play out his contract which has one year left, i think. the MLS already turned down an offer to transfer him to Europe mid season this year (and the same with Shalrie Joseph who got an offer from Celtic). Clint has always said he will honor his contract, so we might get one more year of Deuce

Jeff6582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 11:25 AM
TheRealness

Who would be interested in him from Europe? His size, speed, and atheticism should translate better to the pro game in Europe. Much moreso than Landon Donovan, whose speed wasn't enough to garnish playing time in a much different league.

I would think with McBride's success in England, that European teams would be much more willing to go after an American player now.

TheRealness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Concessionaire
My Precious

He had a very entertaining chip-shot goal last game, which demonstrated once again how good he is at finding time and space for himself.

Concessionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:08 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealness View Post
Who would be interested in him from Europe? His size, speed, and atheticism should translate better to the pro game in Europe. Much moreso than Landon Donovan, whose speed wasn't enough to garnish playing time in a much different league.

I would think with McBride's success in England, that European teams would be much more willing to go after an American player now.
Charlton and West Ham are two clubs that had been mentioned in media reports.

Old
10-04-2006, 02:58 PM
TheRealness

He needs to go to one of those clubs. We need Americans to play in Europe to be able to play the pro game well.

Old
10-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Jeff6582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concessionaire View Post
He had a very entertaining chip-shot goal last game, which demonstrated once again how good he is at finding time and space for himself.
Celtic, too

Jeff6582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

I love Dempsey, and I'll hate to see him go.

Well deserved award.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 09:30 AM
TheRealness

Its a shame MLS doesn't draw greater crowds. But, if you go to a Revs game, they get all anal about moving seats. So on TV it looks like Foxboro is completely deserted, only its not that bad, because Security doesn't want people sitting in the Tier 2 and 3 sections "upgrading" themselves to the lower loge. Or at least thats my experience.

Old
10-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Jason010304

Quote:
He needs to go to one of those clubs. We need Americans to play in Europe to be able to play the pro game well.
More importantly, it would improve our lousy World Cup efforts

Jason010304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 10:05 AM
TheRealness

The Americans get intimidated when they play in Europe, thus why their record is so horrid there. It is incredibly frustrating, because our talent is on par with theirs. Just look at how we played the champs down 2 men.

I think playing in Europe will allow a lot of these players to clear that mental hurdle.

Old
10-05-2006, 10:26 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
The Americans get intimidated when they play in Europe, thus why their record is so horrid there. It is incredibly frustrating, because our talent is on par with theirs. Just look at how we played the champs down 2 men.

I think playing in Europe will allow a lot of these players to clear that mental hurdle.
First off: I don't think that as a collective whole, we have the same talent as they do? We ARE catching up, much in the same way that the rest of the world has caught up to us in baseball and basketball.

Really, think about it, nevermind the elite teams of the world, but the elite leagues themselves. You can count the number of American starters one hand. None of them would move right into a starting slot of ManU, Barcelona, Juventas or Real Madrid.

Second off: With that being said, you're right. You are only as good as the opponents you play against. Going up against the cream will make you a better player.

Dempsey grew up poor in Texas, played ball from dawn to dusk, generally against immigrant or first generation Mexican kids of his neighborhood. He was originally drafted by the Rev's as a defensive MFer but he's a cocky SOB who just took the creative sense and attitude he grew up with and applied it to his game. He has the athletisicm and skills that made it pay off and now it's, 'Hasta la vista matey!!".

Given his make-up, he will definitely be challenged in Europe. He'll be black and blue within no time but I think he revels in this kind of atmosphere, something that most Americans have been intimidated by.

I am definitely going to what remains of the Dempsey era at Foxborough...so I can say, "I saw him when..."

Old
10-05-2006, 12:09 PM
TheRealness

I agree that we don't have the athletic talent as they do. Our greatest athletes, generally, don't play soccer. They are encouraged to play baseball, football and basketball first. And as such we operate at a disadvantage, because Europe's most athletic kids, generally, play football (soccer).

I hope he does go to Celtic though. I love watching them, and yes it is because they're called Celtic and Im a Boston Celtics fan. Bias schmias.

Old
10-05-2006, 01:30 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
I agree that we don't have the athletic talent as they do. Our greatest athletes, generally, don't play soccer. They are encouraged to play baseball, football and basketball first. And as such we operate at a disadvantage, because Europe's most athletic kids, generally, play football (soccer).

I hope he does go to Celtic though. I love watching them, and yes it is because they're called Celtic and Im a Boston Celtics fan. Bias schmias.
I know Celtic was interested in Shalrie Joseph, I didn't know they were interested in Dempsey.

Old
10-05-2006, 02:06 PM
TheRealness

Its more of a pipe dram of mine.

Old
10-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Jason010304

Your right BubbaBoot about Americans in the top leagues. I have heard foolish hopes that Landon Donovan is going to lead the US to a World Cup in 2010....... However, he couldn't cut it in a middle of the pack team in the Bundesliga, let alone step into the starting lineup for Man U or Arsenal.... Point being, I don't see how he plays a big part in 2010...........Your right, Americans must play in Europe in order to win internationally.

Old
10-05-2006, 03:52 PM
acr*

I just did a case study on the MLS' first few seasons...

They keep losing guys now, but by 2012 or so, they should be able to retain and recruit world class talent, IMO.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Jason010304

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post

They keep losing guys now, but by 2012 or so, they should be able to retain and recruit world class talent, IMO.
That is interesting that they should be able to retain and recruit world class talent in the future. I hope that does happen........ However, there is no way you can compare MLS, either now or in the future, to the EPL, La Liga, or Serie A....

Old
10-05-2006, 05:25 PM
TheRealness

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post

Im an avid reader, so if you would care to explain then I'm all ears.

Also of interest if the David Stern received a pitch for a European Division of the NBA. If this is successful, it opens the door to all kinds of possibilities in other sports, most notably in Soccer and Hockey, both worldwide games. Europe is about 7 hours from us as is, and with the speed of planes increasing and the world shrinking by the year, we could have some very intriguing times on our hands.

Worldwide leagues. Frickin Brilliant!

Old
10-05-2006, 05:43 PM
acr*

With the widening talent base and training facilites of US athletes and phenoms like Freddy Adu(technically not born in America, but will play under the US' national team), the MLS should continue to grow and make more revenue.

I think I was a little generous with the year, it'd probably be closer to 2015 or 2020, but with the opportunities they have, they have plenty of building blocks to become, in the worst case, a 5th major league on the level of the NBA or NHL.

I can't believe they haven't been using their connections to the Hunt and Kraft families to work with the NFL for advertising and bringing them up to a major sport level. Hunt and Kraft are both heavily invested in MLS, and have huuuuge influences in the NFL to make it happen. You'd think they'd use their established product to bring their smaller "project" up.

MLS' salary cap is very small. In 1998 it was about 1.3 million per club. I don't know where it is now. It should go up with revenue though. I think all it would take is one American world-class star like Freddy Adu to make MLS as popular as the NHL or NBA(the NFL or even MLB would probably be pushing it). I doubt they'll get to the point where every team will be filled with Beckhams or Ronaldhinos, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a player or two of that caliber sign with the league, and the other rosters should be filled with quality talent. It'll never be the EPL or Serie A(The American public would be fanatic, but not as fanatic as the European market that brings in all that money they use to sign those guys to 8 digit contracts.), but it shouold end up being regarded as a Division 1 football league within 20 years.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote