HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Trade value of Andrei Markov

Old
05-28-2013, 10:59 AM
LastChancePrice

vCash: 500
Trade value of Andrei Markov

What do you think Markov can give us? Pick? A good first or second line forward? For which player do you think it will be a fair value to trade him for?

I have my doubt he's in condition to play a full season and playoff at 100% strenght. We all saw him being tired by the end of the season and in the playoff, and im just hoping hes not on his decline.

But before this happen, what do you think he's worth? Bergevin probably saw that and might consider trading him? We dunno. But i wouldnt be surprised.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Andy

Probably similar to what Kaberle was traded for when the Bruins acquired him. Maybe even less.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:10 AM
RyanBostonRedsox

Markov is fine in a full season, just not playing 25+ minutes every game for the entire season. I didn't have many complaints with Therrien this season, but I have no idea why Markov was playing close to 30 minutes a game when Subban was getting 20-23.

RyanBostonRedsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:19 AM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBostonRedsox View Post
Markov is fine in a full season, just not playing 25+ minutes every game for the entire season. I didn't have many complaints with Therrien this season, but I have no idea why Markov was playing close to 30 minutes a game when Subban was getting 20-23.
I hope you are right. Maybe with better defence and him playing 22 minutes per game he will be fine. But we saw he have difficulty handeling close to 30.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgivemePrice View Post
What do you think Markov can give us? Pick? A good first or second line forward? For which player do you think it will be a fair value to trade him for?

I have my doubt he's in condition to play a full season and playoff at 100% strenght. We all saw him being tired by the end of the season and in the playoff, and im just hoping hes not on his decline.

But before this happen, what do you think he's worth? Bergevin probably saw that and might consider trading him? We dunno. But i wouldnt be surprised.
I don't see him being moved in the off season, but I think they'll want to make a call during the season so he isn't walking for free as a UFA.

I think most vets looked worn down by the end, a longer season no doubt helps them out with games further apart and more aoff days. He showed more juice in the playoffs after a few days off but was used in a less offensive role playing a lot with PK.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Most of Markov's big minute games(other than OT games) were with Subban out I think.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:23 AM
RyanBostonRedsox

Quote:
I hope you are right. Maybe with better defence and him playing 22 minutes per game he will be fine. But we saw he have difficulty handeling close to 30.
I really don't know what Therrien was thinking. Yes, Markov is a good two-way defenseman and an offensive threat on the ice, but he isn't the Markov that Therrien coached ten years ago. The guy has had two major knee surgeries in the last three years. Play him 21 minutes a night, give him some PP time. I wouldn't put him on the PK. Depends what our D looks like come October, I guess.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:24 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

A first-rounder or a good top-six forward aged >28yrs.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:25 AM
RyanBostonRedsox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I don't see him being moved in the off season, but I think they'll want to make a call during the season so he isn't walking for free as a UFA.

I think most vets looked worn down by the end, a longer season no doubt helps them out with games further apart and more aoff days. He showed more juice in the playoffs after a few days off but was used in a less offensive role playing a lot with PK.
Markov will retire a Hab. So long as Therrien is the head coach.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:25 AM
LastChancePrice

Ok, but were going a bit off topic about my thread . Value wise, what do you think he's worth?

Old
05-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

Quote:
I'm not so sure about the bolded part as he did play a whack load of games in russia did he not? I think with those games plus the shortened season was somewhat equivalent to a full season.

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Clumsyhab

Visnovsky value?

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:39 AM
PyrettaBlaze*

Hope he retires a Hab.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan2992 View Post
I'm not so sure about the bolded part as he did play a whack load of games in russia did he not? I think with those games plus the shortened season was somewhat equivalent to a full season.
Markov played a grand total of 74 games this year including playoffs and by the end of the shortened season he looked out of gas. I think second pairing minutes + 1st PP is the max we can expect from Markov next year.

As far as a trade goes I think the habs can land a midddle to late 1st rounder or a top 6 forward, more if we hold onto him until next year's deadline.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Drive425

Would be nice to package him and a high 2nd round pick to get a top 15 pick in this years draft. Turn around and replace him with Mark Streit.

I can dream.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 12:17 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I do not see him being moved but if he was I would expect a good return from a contender later in the season. Something like a first and a decent prospect.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

If Douglas Murray was traded for 2 x 2nd rounder, I think it's VERY fair to say he's worth a whole lot more.

Late 1st round pick and a good prospect maybe?

Habster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I do not see him being moved but if he was I would expect a good return from a contender later in the season. Something like a first and a decent prospect.
You beat me to it

Habster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 01:06 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I don't think Makrov is going to have a problem with playing all year, as long as he doesn't play top minutes, early in the year, Habs played Markov not only 24-25 min a game but vs other teams top lines, I think he isn't that type of dmen anymore.

Also if Markov is traded, who qb's our pp, Subban is more of a trigger man than qb, Daiz isn't anything special, only guy that can replace Markov is Bealieau and he needs to atleast start the year in the AHL IMO.

Best thing is keep Makrov play him on a 2nd pairing at ES and ton of pp time. And next offseason maybe either have Bealieau replace him or even still bring Markov back on a small deal.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Don't be so quick to think he'll become an UFA if he stays here. I can see him remain here for the rest of his career being used less and less.
At this point we have 3 PMDs going into next season, PK-Markov-Diaz. Kaberle and Weber are likely to be gone by the start of next year (I don't understand how they could have been used so little this year if the plan isn't to get rid of them).
I don't think Markov is expendable unless Diaz blossoms into some real gem and Beaulieu makes huge progress.
I believe Diaz is likely to be the guy being moved out. He's smaller, isn't better defensively, nor can he QB the PP. Unless this changes, with Beaulieu getting closer, I see him being moved.

What I would like is for Markov to remain here, on the 3rd pairing, with PK and Beaulieu (eventually) taking over the top 2 spots. We would have our 3 PMDs, Markov could get some extra time on the PP as he'll always be a great QB there, and get lower minutes at ES. Those three guys should be paired with bigger and more rugged Dmen. We have Emelin and Tinordi, ideally we eventually move Gorges for someone similar to him except bigger and more physical.
All three of our PMDs would be complimented with bigger physical Dmen.
Also, no more off wing crap unless they are clearly just as comfortable there. Emelin should not play on the right side.

As for Markov, if he remains healthy next year, playing around 20min with heavy PP minutes likely being one of the leaders in the NHL for PP pts again, I'm sure it would be pretty high.

Last edited by Kriss E: 05-28-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 03:05 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Don't be so quick to think he'll become an UFA if he stays here. I can see him remain here for the rest of his career being used less and less.
At this point we have 3 PMDs going into next season, PK-Markov-Diaz. Kaberle and Weber are likely to be gone by the start of next year (I don't understand how they could have been used so little this year if the plan isn't to get rid of them).
I don't think Markov is expendable unless Diaz blossoms into some real gem and Beaulieu makes huge progress.
I believe Diaz is likely to be the guy being moved out. He's smaller, isn't better defensively, nor can he QB the PP. Unless this changes, with Beaulieu getting closer, I see him being moved.

What I would like is for Markov to remain here, on the 3rd pairing, with PK and Beaulieu (eventually) taking over the top 2 spots. We would have our 3 PMDs, Markov could get some extra time on the PP as he'll always be a great QB there, and get lower minutes at ES. Those three guys should be paired with bigger and more rugged Dmen. We have Emelin and Tinordi, ideally we eventually move Gorges for someone similar to him except bigger and more physical.
All three of our PMDs would be complimented with bigger physical Dmen.
Also, no more off wing crap unless they are clearly just as comfortable there. Emelin should not play on the right side.

As for Markov, if he remains healthy next year, playing around 20min with heavy PP minutes likely being one of the leaders in the NHL for PP pts again, I'm sure it would be pretty high.
I actually think Gorges will be just fine, we had him playing top vs other teams top lines, which isn't his role IMO, better suited for a 2nd pair. Also team seems to really like his leadership, and no way do I see them trading him. I mean he was the one that stepped up and took Gallagher into his home.

It might not for next year, both maybe the year other, a D-core of
Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu-Gorges
Markov-Emelin

Would be better nice imo.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 03:18 PM
jwolf

If Markov is moved, it won't be until the deadline next year. If Beaulieu graduates and Diaz shows he can handle an increased workload, Marky might go to a mature, contending team looking to go all-in.

If it plays out that way, I'd say we get a decent prospect and a late 1st. If we're dealing with a team bursting with young talent, we might get a better prospect and a lower pick.

I'm on the fence as to whether he should be moved, really. Part of me would like to see him retire a Hab, but I know life doesn't always work that way.

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Hullois

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I don't think Makrov is going to have a problem with playing all year, as long as he doesn't play top minutes, early in the year, Habs played Markov not only 24-25 min a game but vs other teams top lines, I think he isn't that type of dmen anymore.

Also if Markov is traded, who qb's our pp, Subban is more of a trigger man than qb, Daiz isn't anything special, only guy that can replace Markov is Bealieau and he needs to atleast start the year in the AHL IMO.

Best thing is keep Makrov play him on a 2nd pairing at ES and ton of pp time. And next offseason maybe either have Bealieau replace him or even still bring Markov back on a small deal.
Strong this, Markov's impact on our PP is still outrageously underrated around here

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 03:55 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:

I agree I dont think he lasts 82 games anymore

he was worn out at 50 , and lets face it he struggled defensivley in the last 20 games plus he has lost a step or 2

I would deal him in a second if I can get Scuderi in the offseason or if a team bites with a decent stay at home Hamrlik type

there might not be a better time to unload him than this summer while he has value

luv his heart and determination coming back , but Markov is nowhere what he was

our biggest problem is beyond PK and Emelein we are weak defensively and Cube , Markov, Gorges and Dias wont cut it moving forward

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Depends on the timing and the team's perceived "need-to-move" level. If the Habs wanted to move him now to create cap space, for example, I would be surprised if they got more than a 2nd round pick. If the Habs were out of the playoffs at the trade deadline, it would be something different. Everything in between, well, also depends on what other teams needs are, and on how Markov is playing, if he gets hurt again, etc.

But a 2nd rounder is probably a safe starting point for now.

Which of course means there is no way we're trading Markov. (If that wasn't already obvious, independent of trying to figure out his value).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote