HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacT Conference Call For Tier 1 Fans [Transcribed by @colinpriestner]

Old
05-27-2013, 10:03 PM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

vCash: 500
Can anyone find the MacT interview on oilers.nhl.com? It was there yesterday on the front page, but today it seems like it's vanished. Anyone?

runeeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 11:15 PM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Before his contract was signed I was actually in favour of a long term cap friendly deal for Horcoff. I though he had 3 years or so left as a top 6 center and then that because of his speed and his conditioning that he could transition into a strong #3 center.

When the Oilers signed Horcoff I am sure they did not expect such a rapid deterioration in his skills. At that point he was one of the fastest skaters in the NHL and was seemingly able to contribute offensively. Right now he is a shadow of the player he was when that deal was made.

At this point in his career he is at best a #3C. For parts of his year he showed he could play that role very well. But at times it also looked like he was overwhelmed by that task as well. On a team with a solid group of vets that can carry more of the defensive responsibility and chip in some goals, Horcoff probably still has some mileage left. But his days of being anything but a bit player are over.
I didn't actually comment on whether Horcoff was this or that or consider where his current skill level might translate to other teams across the rest of the league.

If the Oilers team last year wanted to do well they had to play him in a different role.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 11:19 PM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Okay. Serious question. Are you Shawn Horcoff? Visually impaired? A relative of Mr. Horcoff?

No. MacT has already intimated Horcoff won't be here next season. Still, hillarious.
Im sure MR Horcoff has better things to do....

But good work arguing against my points.

A quick look at the stats for last year and you can see that Horcoff was our best +/- forward for this season....

now that doesn't mean anything to me, but this board was sure tilted away from Horcoff in the last few years for - rating in this area. The label of hypocrisy would seem to apply in this case.

Old
05-27-2013, 11:40 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post

A quick look at the stats for last year and you can see that Horcoff was our best +/- forward for this season....

now that doesn't mean anything to me, but this board was sure tilted away from Horcoff in the last few years for - rating in this area. The label of hypocrisy would seem to apply in this case.
What exactly are your points? All you have said is that it is hard for older and slower players to get ice time. Also that you believe Horcoff is a top six guy. You have shown nothing to prove it other than your opinion. The board has tilted away from all players who have gotten worse. That surprises you?

Horcoff is speculated to be bought out or traded. He has declined every year for the last three or four years. +/- is nice, but so is a winning attitude, speed and ability to do something other than win faceoffs, which by the way, he has progressively gotten worse at. His speed is gone. He doesn't score like a top six. He is not the Horcoff of 2006 just like Smytty is not. They are both in rapid decline. I really and honestly do not know how you or anyone else could legitimately argue against that. This team would be better with both gone and replaced by younger vets on the incline.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 12:27 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
In my opinion it has more to do with St Louis defense being among the best in the NHL over Elliot and Allen being top goaltenders.

Elliot was brutal in Ottawa.
Agreed. Elliott is not as good as his St. Louis numbers have indicated. More to do with St. Louis being an excellent defensive squad with coach who knows defensive systems.

Even Halak's numbers have benefited greatly from great team defensive play. That Montreal run in 2010 is usually credited to Halak - but their D dominated the slot, they forced shots to the outside, and were very good at clearing shooting lanes to allow Halak to track the puck the entire way.

05-28-2013, 08:15 AM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
That could move us up to 4, maybe even 3.
Would we do this? Give up what I believe to be an elite third liner tweener(PRV) that will probably be good in the playoffs, Monohan/Lindholm/Nichuschin and a 2nd for Barkov?

I'm thinking about it...lot to give up of course

Barkov and Nuge down the middle would be fun

Last edited by nally: 05-28-2013 at 08:22 AM.
nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 08:34 AM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
What exactly are your points? All you have said is that it is hard for older and slower players to get ice time. Also that you believe Horcoff is a top six guy. You have shown nothing to prove it other than your opinion. The board has tilted away from all players who have gotten worse. That surprises you?

Horcoff is speculated to be bought out or traded. He has declined every year for the last three or four years. +/- is nice, but so is a winning attitude, speed and ability to do something other than win faceoffs, which by the way, he has progressively gotten worse at. His speed is gone. He doesn't score like a top six. He is not the Horcoff of 2006 just like Smytty is not. They are both in rapid decline. I really and honestly do not know how you or anyone else could legitimately argue against that. This team would be better with both gone and replaced by younger vets on the incline.
Actually, what I said was that the way they wanted to play was not suitable to older vets and not suitable to winning long term in the NHL.

More of a junior game.

But Oiler fans seem to like watching juniors play, so more power to you, have fun watching a non-NHL team.

Old
05-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

You do realize just how bad he is don't you? As in all his 6 or 7 years as a top 3 forward let alone a top 6 forward yield ghastly numbers for the most part. You do realize that with him in the top 6 the last 6 or 7 years we have had some of the worst teams in the league. You do realize that he scores almost no important goals right? As in going about 150 games in a row with out a gwg.

You are right in one statement though. He needs top 6 times including lots of pp time to achieve numbers that look okay for a 3rd liner.

Horribly overrated player since the day he signed the big deal.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevotron View Post
Money/cap hit aside by getting rid of Horcoff, Who in this year's market can we get that is better than him ?
keep in mind he is over 50% in FO, Penalty Kill, and a leader (he is a captain afterall)
About he bolded - I keep reading this. Do people not know how to look up simple NHL stats? Horcoff has not been over 50% for 4 consecutive seasons now. This myth that he is some sort of faceoff wizard keeps getting perpetuated on these boards - I don't get it. The last time he was over 50% was the 2008-2009 season. He is at 48.17% over the last 4 seasons combined.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Beerfish

Horcoff is so easily replaced it's ridiculous. Under 50% on the dot for about 4 years now. Penalty kill did not suffer at all whne he was out last year.

Yeah he's a leader alright, a horrible leader. You can literally take any 3rd line schlep center in this league, give him prime pp time each year and lots of ice time with good players and they will muster up what Horcoff has done over the years. He won't be missed at all. Rather it will be a huge upgrade when we get a captain that actually takes losing hard.

Old
05-28-2013, 10:44 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Horcoff is so easily replaced it's ridiculous. Under 50% on the dot for about 4 years now. Penalty kill did not suffer at all whne he was out last year.

Yeah he's a leader alright, a horrible leader. You can literally take any 3rd line schlep center in this league, give him prime pp time each year and lots of ice time with good players and they will muster up what Horcoff has done over the years. He won't be missed at all. Rather it will be a huge upgrade when we get a captain that actually takes losing hard.
Check out our record with Horcoff vs without Horcoff last year.

Cant wait for your draft list with all those players you never saw play. You cant find that kind of expertise just anywhere.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
About he bolded - I keep reading this. Do people not know how to look up simple NHL stats? Horcoff has not been over 50% for 4 consecutive seasons now. This myth that he is some sort of faceoff wizard keeps getting perpetuated on these boards - I don't get it. The last time he was over 50% was the 2008-2009 season. He is at 48.17% over the last 4 seasons combined.
I agree...the idea that Horcoff is anything but mediocre at faceoffs these days is more myth than fact.

On this team though, it's like being the world's tallest midget because of the utter ineptitude of Gagner and RNH at the skill (so far).

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 12:13 PM
mkwong268

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeeres View Post
Can anyone find the MacT interview on oilers.nhl.com? It was there yesterday on the front page, but today it seems like it's vanished. Anyone?
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=89336

Advantage of being a tier 1 fan, they email you these links

mkwong268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 943
Quote:
Actually, what I said was that the way they wanted to play was not suitable to older vets and not suitable to winning long term in the NHL.

More of a junior game.

But Oiler fans seem to like watching juniors play, so more power to you, have fun watching a non-NHL team.
You still have not answered my questions. Do you honestly think our vets are betterthan our top six? That seems to be what you are saying.

Is Horcoff a guy you see as a top six player? A straight answer would be nice.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Cant wait for your draft list with all those players you never saw play. You cant find that kind of expertise just anywhere.
Oilers record with Corey Potter playing:

16-12-5

OMG. What a difference maker!

The problem with Horcoff and Belanger being out was that the Oilers replaced them with AHL 3rd liner Vande Velde and out of position Ryan Smyth. I don't think there would have been much of a drop off if the Oilers had any kind of NHL center depth.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Beerfish

Quote:

Before the last two meaningless games that Minny and Nucks mailed in he was part of the 1-9 record that unceremoniously blasted the team out of playoff contention.

If only Horcules was given top ice time in the 7 years leading up to this one we may not be in the state we are in....oh.....wait...

Old
05-28-2013, 01:18 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Oilers record with Corey Potter playing:

16-12-5

OMG. What a difference maker!
His numbers are some of the best on the team. Not one of my favourites, or anyone else's either, but it is what it is.

Quote:
The problem with Horcoff and Belanger being out was that the Oilers replaced them with AHL 3rd liner Vande Velde and out of position Ryan Smyth. I don't think there would have been much of a drop off if the Oilers had any kind of NHL center depth.
Remember when Belanger was looked at as being a good signing who would provide us with some depth and help on the pk/third line? It seems that good nhl center depth is hard to acquire. Maybe we Horcoff? As sad as that sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Before the last two meaningless games that Minny and Nucks mailed in he was part of the 1-9 record that unceremoniously blasted the team out of playoff contention.
You could say the same about Hall, Eberle or Schultz. Should we get rid of them too?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 01:20 PM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
To me there's 3 guys in the league I consider elite centers Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, then there's a drop, I think RNH will be in that second group, wether he's at the top or bottom of that group I don't know. What I do know is that I have a hard time seeing him go head to head in the next few years with any of the guys you listed. Tambo royally screwed this team by not having them ready to make the playoffs this year. Our best chance at winning is this coming season IMO because both Schultz and RNH's will have new deals kicking in and both will most likely get paid well long term. This season coming up is the time where we can load up with more expensive depth players to really round out the team. The reason I'm for dealing RNH is because I think we can set the team up for a cup run this year by moving him for a less prolific center(but one who can shutdown the best in the game) and a top 4 dman(Think Bergeron+Boychuk). If we don't expect to go on a run for a few more years then it doesn't make sense to deal him IMO. I don't know where this notion came from that I undervalue RNH? I just think he'd be the first to go right now to help the team win in the next 2-5 years.
Wow, Raab would people identify you has a patient person?
I just have no respect for you are saying. Cup run this year...are you crazy? It's your opinion and you are entitled to it, I would just like to see it far far less then I am

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 01:28 PM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwong268 View Post
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=89336

Advantage of being a tier 1 fan, they email you these links
Cheers! :-)

runeeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Beerfish

Quote:

You could say the same about Hall, Eberle or Schultz. Should we get rid of them too?

lol, this is lame.....even for you. As usual you do not at all address the counter point, just post something ridiculous. How Horcoff has hoodwinked so many people over the years is beyond me.

Old
05-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1250
How people take a player and his play so personal is beyond me.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
Then I just have to assume you're confused as to why you're posting here. Fair enough, honest mistake.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Then I just have to assume you're confused as to why you're posting here. Fair enough, honest mistake.
I'm more confused to this reply.

Old
05-28-2013, 02:41 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
There's mere dislike and then there's vile contempt

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
There's mere dislike and then there's vile contempt
That's what I meant. I dislike Torres and his bar antics. But if he signed here again, I would deal with it.