HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Draft Thread Part 2: Bark to the Future

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2013, 10:14 AM
AintLifeGrand

vCash: 500
I'd encourage y'all to listen to te Ville Neimenan interview with Calgary Roger Sportsnet..

Highlights

- Barkov speaks no english
-Incredibly shy ( this worries me- Will he buckle under the pressure of the NHL experience as a barely 18 year old rookie that will have some serious expectations placed on his shoulders)
- Limited physical game- Ville said physical play/checking is non-existant in SM Liiga and said it will take alot of adjustment for Barkov to get used to playing NA hockey)
- Based on this, I now hope we take Drouin.

Old
05-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Can next season start already? I can't watch a hockey game without cheering for someone (or hating someone less than another) and I'm left with:

BOS - Won cup in 2011
PIT - Won cup in 2009
CHI - Central foe and 2010 cup champion
DET - Evil incarnate
LA - Last year's cup champion
SJ - No cup, but one of my least favorite teams for ruining two of our best seasons ever in first round wallopings (05-06 and 06-07)

Old
05-28-2013, 10:21 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Latest ISS top 30:

Old
05-28-2013, 11:05 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
I'd encourage y'all to listen to te Ville Neimenan interview with Calgary Roger Sportsnet..

Highlights

-Incredibly shy ( this worries me- Will he buckle under the pressure of the NHL experience as a barely 18 year old rookie that will have some serious expectations placed on his shoulders)
- Limited physical game- Ville said physical play/checking is non-existant in SM Liiga and said it will take alot of adjustment for Barkov to get used to playing NA hockey)

There is physical play in sm liiga lol, this isn't atom hockey. Of course they hit, maybe they don't fight as often but they sure do hit each other!

I heard he speaks some English as well. This sounds kind of like an interview to scare people off of barkov, I'm not buying it. Barkov is a stud!

And really, even if he didnt know much English, does that mean he will come here and never learn?! But he does know some English, plus don't forget our Finnish goalie can do more than save pucks, he can help barkov out.

I am not against picking drouin, barkov, Mack, or nichushkin. They are all awesome prospects!
I just do not agree with the above about barkov.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:39 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post

Highlights

He says that it is in european hockey. FEL is most physical european league. He didn't buckle at the FEL playoffs as 17 year old. Was series MVP before the injury, led the scoring and stepped up when it mattered the most. Scored GWG in 2012 WJC QF as 16 year old and assisted first goal in SF. He was 3rd line shutdown C at time and looked pretty good in small rink.

Makes everyone around him better. Ville Nieminen had 4 points in 5 playoffs games before Barkov got injured after that he had 11games with 2 points playing without Barkov. His other linemate had 4 points in 5 games before Barkov got injured. After that he had 3 points in 10 games.

He basically turned grinders to scorers and was engine of their game. That team was 2nd best team in FEL this year.

Ville Nieminen talked about european hockey not only FEL. FEL is most physical european league by fair margin. And it's not physical if we compare it to NHL. All draft prospects have to adjust. Prospects from CHL have to adjust playing against experienced, less mistake prone, stronger and more solid grown up defensemen. Fight against them at boards. Barkov has already done that for 2 years and this year he just dominated board game. Ville Nieminen stated that physicality won't be problem for Barkov because he is so big and skilled kid(6'3-6'4, 225lbs) biggest adjustment is 82 game schedule and speed, hitting and intensity in those games. It's the same case for all european prospects. Barkov is shy because he don't want to take credit from anything or shine alone. He is big team player and give the spotlight to other players. Barkov doesen't care about that. I would say that Jere Lehtinen shares the same personality. What pressure does Barkov have? Nashville is one of the quiet place to play from media. Barkov has already been carrying his FEL team on his young shoulders. When his team struggled at the beginning of the season Barkov didn't and it boosted everyone to work harder because they got to watch how hard he worked to have success. He led by example and the team had success after it.

Nieminen said that if Barkov was more selfish he could be the #1 pick. But he isn't. He stays humble and he is going to be always that shy guy who has ice packs on his bruises after every game because this guy is going to give all in every game for his team. I've seen him blocking shots when his team leads by multiple goals in the end of game. He is a guy who signs autographs till every fan has gotten one and chats to fans like any other people. You guys are getting 1# calibre of talent in most of the drafts in Barkov at #4 if you guys draft him. Right year to have bad year.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:54 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
He says that it is in european hockey. FEL is most physical european league. He didn't buckle at the FEL playoffs as 17 year old. Was series MVP before the injury, led the scoring and stepped up when it mattered the most. Scored GWG in 2012 WJC QF as 16 year old and assisted first goal in SF. He was 3rd line shutdown C at time and looked pretty good in small rink.

Makes everyone around him better. Ville Nieminen had 4 points in 5 playoffs games before Barkov got injured after that he had 11games with 2 points playing without Barkov. His other linemate had 4 points in 5 games before Barkov got injured. After that he had 3 points in 10 games.

He basically turned grinders to scorers and was engine of their game. That team was 2nd best team in FEL this year.

Ville Nieminen talked about european hockey not only FEL. FEL is most physical european league by fair margin. And it's not physical if we compare it to NHL. All draft prospects have to adjust. Prospects from CHL have to adjust playing against experienced, less mistake prone, stronger and more solid grown up defensemen. Fight against them at boards. Barkov has already done that for 2 years and this year he just dominated board game. Ville Nieminen stated that physicality won't be problem for Barkov because he is so big and skilled kid(6'3-6'4, 225lbs) biggest adjustment is 82 game schedule and speed, hitting and intensity in those games. It's the same case for all european prospects. Barkov is shy because he don't want to take credit from anything or shine alone. He is big team player and give the spotlight to other players. Barkov doesen't care about that. I would say that Jere Lehtinen shares the same personality. What pressure does Barkov have? Nashville is one of the quiet place to play from media. Barkov has already been carrying his FEL team on his young shoulders. When his team struggled at the beginning of the season Barkov didn't and it boosted everyone to work harder because they got to watch how hard he worked to have success. He led by example and the team had success after it.

Nieminen said that if Barkov was more selfish he could be the #1 pick. But he isn't. He stays humble and he is going to be always that shy guy who has ice packs on his bruises after every game because this guy is going to give all in every game for his team. I've seen him blocking shots when his team leads by multiple goals in the end of game. He is a guy who signs autographs till every fan has gotten one and chats to fans like any other people. You guys are getting 1# calibre of talent in most of the drafts in Barkov at #4 if you guys draft him. Right year to have bad year.
Very, very well put. I agree with everything.
Barkov is such a stud!

Old
05-28-2013, 11:59 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I'm going to add Aberg and Budish to that list as well. Call me crazy but I think Budish is going to surprise a lot of people once he gets here, big kid, moves well for his size, soft hands, big power forward which is what you need come playoff time. As a dark horse candidate I'm going with Cehlin. Great skater. Reminds me a lot of a young Erat.
I agree with the budish sentiment, just not next year. My thinking was if jones dropped, the top 5 is set and the 6 spot can be a very open competition with ellis, eckholm, bartley, and blum if he is still here. Use some cash to overpay on the ufs market to bickel or stalberg and let's go

under that scenario:

Beck-Legwand-Hornquist
Wilson-Fisher-UFA
Bourque-Spaling-UFA
Forsberg-Gaustad-Halischuk/Clune

good, deep, and balanced if those 2 ufas could be bickell and stalberg. Allows forsberg to earn his icetime, grow and be protected by gaustad and/or clune

Old
05-28-2013, 12:18 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I agree with the budish sentiment, just not next year. My thinking was if jones dropped, the top 5 is set and the 6 spot can be a very open competition with ellis, eckholm, bartley, and blum if he is still here. Use some cash to overpay on the ufs market to bickel or stalberg and let's go

under that scenario:

Beck-Legwand-Hornquist
Wilson-Fisher-UFA
Bourque-Spaling-UFA

good, deep, and balanced if those 2 ufas could be bickell and stalberg. Allows forsberg to earn his icetime, grow and be protected by gaustad and/or clune
Didn't know you were just referring to next year about our prospects. I see Budish in Milwaukee next year with a call up possibility if injuries hit but I think he's with us full time in 2 years.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:01 PM
maplepred

Quote:

under that scenario:

Beck-Legwand-Hornquist
Wilson-Fisher-UFA
Bourque-Spaling-UFA

If that's out forward crops for next season, I do not see playoffs.

Old
05-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:

under that scenario:

Beck-Legwand-Hornquist
Wilson-Fisher-UFA
Bourque-Spaling-UFA

I hope those lines are not in order of 1st to 4th. Every team would be licking their chops to have their top line go against Beck/Legwand/Horny

If we are going to work toward a winning team I would go with something like this.

Wilson/Fisher/Honny
UFA(Stalberg)/Legwand/Beck
Bouque/Barkov/Forsberg
Spaling/Gaustad/Clune

Keep Smith/Yip/Butler around for depth.

Josi/Weber
UFA (Ferance)/Klein
Bartley/Ellis

Blum/Eckholm for depth

Old
05-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Roy reportedly told Sakic to explore options of trading the #1. I'd give up Ellis+4 to get Mac, but I doubt they would.

Old
05-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I've only seen youtube highlight videos of Barkov and Nichushkin, but wow Nichushkin looks like a very exciting prospect. I'd rate him over Barkov. Same with Drouin.

Old
05-28-2013, 08:36 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Drouin named the QMJHL and CHL player of the year.

Old
05-28-2013, 08:42 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Anyone that watched the Memorial Cup final got to see what a special player Drouin is. Absolutely took over that game, even with Seth Jones and Tyler Wotherspoon shadowing him.

Old
05-28-2013, 08:57 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post

Thanks for sharing. I hope he is a Pred even more now. His size and ability is just what the Preds need up the middle.

Old
05-28-2013, 09:21 PM
maplepred

Yeah barkov is going to be such an awesome NHL player! Really really hoping we get him!

Just curious....

Do you think Colin Wilson and Ryan Ellis would net us another top five pick??

Old
05-28-2013, 09:41 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Yeah barkov is going to be such an awesome NHL player! Really really hoping we get him!

Just curious....

Do you think Colin Wilson and Ryan Ellis would net us another top five pick??
No and why would you trade Wilson away when he's finally coming in to his own? He's a big bodied kid with great hands who finally appears to get it. No way you trade him at this point. And in reality, we have a top 5 pick from last years draft in Forsberg.

Old
05-28-2013, 09:53 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
No and why would you trade Wilson away when he's finally coming in to his own? He's a big bodied kid with great hands who finally appears to get it. No way you trade him at this point. And in reality, we have a top 5 pick from last years draft in Forsberg.
Yeah Wilson is definitely looking the best he has been ever this season. I just drool over the thought of having two huge skilled players like nichushkin AND barkov?!!! One a centre and the other his winger to eventually be with forsberg as well.

Problem is, if we trade Wilson we will most likely not be in playoffs next season as he currently is our best offensive forward IMO based on what he did this season before getting hurt. He should be be 100% recovered?

Also think the gamble of what nich AND bark could pay off in 2-3 years. Both are top five in an insane draft, if Wilson was in this draft he would not be top five for sure, his draft was weaker and he went sixth. Wilson is starting to prove though that he can play in the NHL, whereas there is 'always' a chance barkov or nichushkin could be busts. Wouldn't be the first highly touted prospects that didnt succeed in the NHL.

Again as I said though, just imagine having barkov, nichushkin and forsberg.... Sweet

Maybe we could just trade something else outside of Wilson for a top five pick, maybe rinne or weber?!?! Haha, just kidding.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:38 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
work with me here preds fans.
(CGY)6th overall + (PIT)29th overall
for
(NAS)4th overall + (TBAY)63rd overall
EDIT: thats assuming that the draft went
1)jones
2)mac
3)drouin

Old
05-28-2013, 11:46 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
for
1)jones
2)mac
3)drouin
so go from barkov, nichuskin to lindholm/monahan for a crapshoot at 29th? pass, easily

Old
05-28-2013, 11:46 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
for
1)jones
2)mac
3)drouin
on second thought, take off us adding the 63rd overall or ill be insulted.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:55 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
so go from barkov, nichuskin to lindholm/monahan for a crapshoot at 29th? pass, easily
one of nich or lindholm will be there at 6. It's not as much of a drop as you think.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:16 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
one of nich or lindholm will be there at 6. It's not as much of a drop as you think.
Still not incredibly enticing, unless Poile has no interest in Barkov.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:16 AM
Roger Explosion

Quote:
for
1)jones
2)mac
3)drouin
The value isn't bad but IMO Poile is targeting Barkov/Lindholm and there is no guarantee that either of them is available at #6 so I don't think this would work.

Old
05-29-2013, 06:31 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
I'm far from a prospect expert, but apparently the drop off after the top-4 makes the proposal an easy no (though the value is decent).

Closed Thread