HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013 Off-Season Speculation/Be the GM Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
???

We have no one at LW that can even be mistaken for a first line player.
Yeah. Err.. misread that. I thought you said we only have one LW.

But even so, replacing Gaborik doesn't solve that issue.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I dunno. Hagelin is a good, versatile player who can be a top-six guy in a pinch. The problem is we rely on him consistently be a top-six forward. I think it would behoove us to hold onto him unless packaging him with Del Zotto is the difference between a mediocre return and a stellar one.

For some reason I just have a good feeling about him and Lindberg as 2/3 of do-it-all 3rd line. If we had the pieces so that Cally could play his ES time on the RW with those two, that would be fantastic.
That is probably just me being pessimistically predisposed to the thinking that Hagelin will always be placed into roles above his head with this team. If they can package MDZ and Hagelin for a player that can actually fill that offensive role, I think they should go for it.

The only reason I added Hagelin is because I think he has far more value than guys like Boyle and Zuccarello, and could actually get a deal like that done.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:21 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
We need to fix our right side issue. I like Anton Stralman a lot, but he would look a ton better as a 3rd pair D. Dylan McIlrath is a potential long-term fix, but will he be ready next year?

Ian White could be an option.
I think Dylan can make the jump next year.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:22 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Where did I say that he was?
Thought you were referencing my Eberle for MDZ idea. Apologies.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
My original post was simply that the Rangers don't have enough finishers or high end talent. I thought bringing in Nash + Gabby would have balanced out this team ... but obviously we let too much of the grit and character of this team walk to bring in Nash thus resulting in trading away Gabby ... which now looks like a great trade moving forward with what we got back ... HOWEVER we still do need someone else on this roster who is a threat to score consistently.

Now there are some teams like Boston and LA that roll 4 deep lines ... and there are some like Pittsburgh that overwhelm you with talent in the top 2 lines ... but either way you slice it they have more threats than we do. Now I'm not sure if our lack of offensive punch is a result of poor coaching or not (some still want Torts out) but I do not think having more offensive forwards would hurt this team.
But there is a tremendous diffrence between getting Vanek, or having Gabby, and adding a playmaker/someone that can take the puck up ice.

Brassard helped.

Gabby did not. Neither would Vanek nor B Ryan really. Not Marian Hossa.

In short, wingers like that gives an extra edge to a team like Chicago. Boston. But they do not make a team. I'd love to get an improved Brassard, but if we pay what it cost to get a Vanek/Ryan, we must get a forward that can take the puck up ice and make people around him better. That is not Gabby, Ryan or Vanek.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Posters who watched a lot of Whale games (I am not one of them) said it's unlikely McIlraith will be ready for the NHL next year.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Yeah. Err.. misread that. I thought you said we only have one LW.

But even so, replacing Gaborik doesn't solve that issue.
It'd be nice to replace Gaborik's offense, but I agree that depth has been and is a bigger issue.

I think its really, really troublesome that the Rangers havent been able to fill bottom 6 forward and 3rd pairing defensemen positions from within the organization. Its a big problem.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
I'm pretty confident he can too, but that's not the same thing as making sure that we'll be okay if he doesn't.

Look it what happened to our forward corps when Kreider wasn't ready for a big role? Relying on rookies isn't a way to be a successful hockey team. Allowing them the opportunity to earn their place on the team, regardless of the names above them on the depth chart, is.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:25 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Is anyone seriously concerned for Staal for next year?

Old
05-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Ola

Quote:
Stepan is going to be a 4th year NHLer. Brassard is going to be a 6th year NHLer. These aren't kids anymore. They are young vets.
We are supposed to contend. Are they ready to carry the load offensively and dig our PP out of the hole? No. They need help.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Is anyone seriously concerned for Staal for next year?
I'm very concerned. Two years back to back with serious injuries.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Old
05-28-2013, 04:28 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
But there is a tremendous diffrence between getting Vanek, or having Gabby, and adding a playmaker/someone that can take the puck up ice.

Brassard helped.

Gabby did not. Neither would Vanek nor B Ryan really. Not Marian Hossa.

In short, wingers like that gives an extra edge to a team like Chicago. Boston. But they do not make a team. I'd love to get an improved Brassard, but if we pay what it cost to get a Vanek/Ryan, we must get a forward that can take the puck up ice and make people around him better. That is not Gabby, Ryan or Vanek.
Disagree.

That is what Stepan and Brassard are for. They need finishers, players like Ryan/Vanek/Hossa, and a new system. Nash is a very good player, but if anything, finishing plays is one of the aspects of his game that leaves you wanting more. He's best for puck possession and cycling, creating chances with his size/hands. He's honestly pretty similar to Hossa offensively, but not quite as good of a defensive player. Hagelin is a great puck possession/pursuit player, but he lacks finish as well. Great complimentary player, but he can't be the finisher on his line. He's a better fit on the 3rd line, although he's a solid 2nd line player. Getting a top-6 finisher moves Hagelin down and gives the Rangers forward depth.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
05-28-2013, 04:28 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I'm very concerned. Two years back to back with serious injuries.
maybe I am overly positive lol

Old
05-28-2013, 04:30 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Disagree.

That is what Stepan and Brassard are for. They need finishers, players like Ryan/Vanek/Hossa, and a new system. Nash is a very good player, but if anything, finishing plays is one of the aspects of his game that leaves you wanting more. He's best for puck possession and cycling, creating chances with his size/hands. He's honestly pretty similar to Hossa offensively, but not quite as good of a defensive player. Hagelin is a great puck possession/pursuit player, but he lacks finish as well. Great complimentary player, but he can't be the finisher on his line. He's a better fit on the 3rd line, although he's a solid 2nd line player. Getting a top-6 finisher moves Hagelin down and gives the Rangers forward depth.
I've been saying this all morning.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
maybe I am overly positive lol
Plus, there's the Carolina thing. As much as we don't want to admit it, that's something very real.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
I've been saying this all morning.
OK, I need to clarify my feelings about this.

We need another skill-type player.

We do not need a Gaborik-caliber player.

Guys that strike me are Horton, Ryder, MacArthur, R. Jones, Stalberg, Bickell.

But, aside from Horton, all of these guys are 2nd/3rd line tweeners or just simply 3rd liners. We need to upgrade the talent level, but we don't need to do something drastic.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:39 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Someone on the main board mentioned a proposal of Marc Staal for Bobby Ryan ... I would hate to lose Staal ... but I would entertain this if he is 100%.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:40 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Douglas Murray would be a stop-gap as a bottom pairing guy until McIlrath is ready.
Only problem he's more than tough enough, but not good foot speed. Sure can clear the crease, but get the feeling he's seeing time w/Letang.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

I'm not in love with Ryan. He scores 30 goals and other than those 30 moments does absolutely nothing. It's like Gaborik but it's 30 goals instead of 40 goals.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:42 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Someone on the main board mentioned a proposal of Marc Staal for Bobby Ryan ... I would hate to lose Staal ... but I would entertain this if he is 100%.
Ryan, Andersen and a 2nd for Staal.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:44 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
I think Ryan + a pick is fair ... I'm trying not to be a homer.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would take that and run. Huge fan of Andersen, would be a great kid to have learn behind Henrik.

Anaheim is going to have to offload some goaltenders. They have 4 great ones.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:46 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
I think Ryan + a pick is fair ... I'm trying not to be a homer.
I like Ryan, but his production has declined in the last two seasons, and he's a fairly one-dimensional player. Very, very talented goal scorer and player, who still has upside, but he's, as Machinehead said, sort of similar to Gaborik. Has the potential to be better, though, imo.

Andersen is a very good goalie prospect, and Anaheim has a ton of goalie depth.

Straight up is probably fair. Depends on if Anaheim thinks Staal will be ready to start the season.

I think I'd rather keep Staal, though, and move DZ.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I know I've said this before, and should say it again...

We have some great blueliners. And a great goaltender. A great goaltender makes a bigger difference when you've got a run and gun type team. The system we have set up right now is bad for Hank. Half the goals are deflections off of his own guys.

The Rangers need to be willing to move one of their good Dmen for a scoring forward. I think we'd all rather move MDZ than Staal, but it depends on the return. Another question is would a team be willing to trade Ryan for Staal with the knowledge that he might be signing for Carolina in 2 years?

Old
05-28-2013, 04:51 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
I like Ryan, but his production has declined in the last two seasons, and he's a fairly one-dimensional player. Very, very talented goal scorer and player, who still has upside, but he's, as Machinehead said, sort of similar to Gaborik. Has the potential to be better, though, imo.

Andersen is a very good goalie prospect, and Anaheim has a ton of goalie depth.

Straight up is probably fair. Depends on if Anaheim thinks Staal will be ready to start the season.

I think I'd rather keep Staal, though, and move DZ.
I agree but with the question marks on Staal I think straight up is more than fair. It would answer concerns on both teams especially if Moore can step up big next year (which I think he can) ... I think it comes down to dealing MDZ or Staal for a forward and as much as I would prefer to keep Staal ... I don't think MDZ for Ryan would be enough.

Closed Thread