HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Hullois
Somewhere in heaven

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post
But he never said that. He said that he's not sure why his past comment was such a big deal, as all he's saying is that you can't have a normal life when you are the goalie for the Montreal Canadiens. He gave the example of trying to go to the movies and barely being able to enter the theater because of the crowd that formed. He said it is what it is, it's not crushing him, but it just means he can't live a normal life.

I don't understand why we should be shocked by this?
I started a similar answer yesterday but then I thought... It is not that I am shocked, but he admits that he doesn't like to be a superstar in the city. Actually, it bothers him, a lot. And the goalie position is probably the one that requires the most "mental stability" in order to reach that other level. And he's bothered all year long because he's stuck inside while he's used to unilimited space in his native BC.

I was always a fan of Price but I have come to think that he might never be able to be the goalie he can be because of MTL, and that maybe trading him somewhere he could go do his groceries unnoticed would be the best for him and the Montréal Canadiens. Too bad though, he can be really good.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:45 PM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Price is a risk and a costly one. He's not nearly as sought after as you think.
I beg to differ

Philly , Tampa , Islanders , Colorado , etc...

question is this ... do u want to move him

Old
05-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
So you think that not being able to live a normal life is all fine with him? If so, I would have expected something like "I'm not able to live a normal life...but hey, I have no problem with that. It's all great....I'm not normal anyway...". Or something like that...

Honestly, you don't need to read that much to understand that this is a part that bothers him. What we don't know is to which extent. Extent that means get me out of here? Or extent that I don't like it but I'll deal with it. That we don't know.

Old
05-28-2013, 05:09 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
But he never said that. He said that he's not sure why his past comment was such a big deal, as all he's saying is that you can't have a normal life when you are the goalie for the Montreal Canadiens. He gave the example of trying to go to the movies and barely being able to enter the theater because of the crowd that formed. He said it is what it is, it's not crushing him, but it just means he can't live a normal life.

I want his problem.

Old
05-28-2013, 06:08 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
NYR, Boston, Columbus, Los Angeles, Nashville just on top of my head, would not do this for performance-related reasons.

Then, you've got teams like Vancouver, Detroit, Anaheim, Phoenix, St. Louis, Ottawa, Carolina and Minnesota who would not do it based on fit and chemestry, and also based on cost and the fact it's not worth it to pull the trigger on such a trade for them for that little difference in performance.

That's 13 teams I wouldn't see being interested in trading their #1 goalie for Price, for many different reasons.
NYR - Lundqvist is elite, one of the best if not THE best goalie in the NHL today. Agreed.

LA - Ditto for Quick, he is one of the best in the NHL today.

Boston - Rask is playing well, but Boston is a very good defensive team. He fits well on that team in particular so I doubt they'd move him, but it isn't as if he's so obviously better than Price.

Columbus - Bob had one fantastic year there, but I'd like to see some more from him before putting him in the elite top 5 category. Mason won a Vezina in Columbus too, once upon a time.

Nashville - Eh, Rinne had a pretty average season...A lot of his success was from the system.

Detroit - Howard is an elite goaltender, I agree they shouldn't make that move.

Vancouver - They would definitely make that trade

Anaheim - Not worth it, they have amazing goalie depth now and in the future

Phoenix - They absolutely would do it and Price would win more than one Vezina there.

St. Louis - LOL come on, they are probably going to buy out Halak. They would make that trade in 2 seconds if they could and Price would win multiple Vezinas in that goalie friendly system.

Ottawa and Minnesota - They would make this trade all day long with the old goalies they have there.

Carolina - Ward isn't exactly a world-breaker here....

waffledave
Old
05-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Boston - Rask is playing well, but Boston is a very good defensive team. He fits well on that team in particular so I doubt they'd move him, but it isn't as if he's so obviously better than Price.

Columbus - Bob had one fantastic year there, but I'd like to see some more from him before putting him in the elite top 5 category. Mason won a Vezina in Columbus too, once upon a time.

Nashville - Eh, Rinne had a pretty average season...A lot of his success was from the system.

Carolina - Ward isn't exactly a world-breaker here....
Yet, Boston will not make that move. As of now, they have to believe more in Rask than him. Both guys might be fairly close but that wasn't the point of his thread. There's just no way they make the trade

Columbus...well as of now, they surely want to see if it was an accident. And being paid like he is, they will ride him one more year. Unless they know it was an accident and feel that he's at an all-time high value, which then would make them trade him.

Rinne has done miracles with that team. Yes, the system, same system this year though and Rinne is going under surgery this year based on what he had to play with this year. I'd give him a pass. And he's done too many things for them to just trade him for a still unproven playoff goalie. Honestly, if people keep saying Rinne is also unproven in the playoffs...not sure why they'd make a lateral move.

Ward has won them a cup. While it wasn't yesterday, they still have to think he is a great goalie. And since in here Price being in the running for the Olympics is proof that he's not so bad....Ward will be in the running too. (Mind you, for me, this is not really a proof that those canadian goalies are great....mostly a proof that it won't be our strength in the Olympics.)

Old
05-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So you think that not being able to live a normal life is all fine with him? If so, I would have expected something like "I'm not able to live a normal life...but hey, I have no problem with that. It's all great....I'm not normal anyway...". Or something like that...

Honestly, you don't need to read that much to understand that this is a part that bothers him. What we don't know is to which extent. Extent that means get me out of here? Or extent that I don't like it but I'll deal with it. That we don't know.
I agree that it might bother him, and he might have had more consistency in another market. But my point was that his quote is that "he's not invaded by an overwhelming pressure, only that my job prevents me from living a normal life. It comes with the territory. Yesterday, I went to the movies, and had trouble just getting in the theater. Small things like that, but it's ok. It comes with the job."

At the end of the day, this is exactly the problem with a market like Montreal. He gives an interview, which is recorded and filmed, yet on a radio show they say that he said that the pressure was too much to handle. then fans hear that on the radio and freak out... It's taken out of context, and we are unfairly interpreting his quote without verifying the source (by we I mean general population).

Obviously there's a lot to discuss, and this thread exists for a reason... but to put words in him mouth is not the way to start a rational argument about his consistency.

And to all of you saying Price is garbage and no one would take him... holy crap, enjoy playing NHL13 and stop posting if your knowledge of hockey is this bad... No one is saying he should be winning the Vezina, but holy crap some people hate just for the sake of hating... I feel like I'm watching Fox News talk about Obama. What's next, we'll ask for Carey Price's birth certificate to verify his age??

Old
05-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
At the end of the day, this is exactly the problem with a market like Montreal. He gives an interview, which is recorded and filmed, yet on a radio show they say that he said that the pressure was too much to handle. then fans hear that on the radio and freak out... It's taken out of context, and we are unfairly interpreting his quote without verifying the source (by we I mean general population).
But that's exactly it. At the end of the day, this is the Montreal market. So it's been quite a few years you are here, how about you adapt to it and not give some material to journalists?

By the way, it's not taken out of context. He doesn't like to not have his privacy. What is, I hope, exagerrated is that he wants out. He didn't say it. There are no indications that it's that bad for him. But in this market, it will be. Yes, this market is far from being perfect. But if there's one guy who knows that it's him...not sure why he said what he said knowing all of that.

We did see what the Cole comment meant to everybody. He plays not that great...well he wants to retire. Was it really what he wanted? As he already announced his retirement? And so on....

Old
05-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
But that's exactly it. At the end of the day, this is the Montreal market. So it's been quite a few years you are here, how about you adapt to it and not give some material to journalists?

By the way, it's not taken out of context. He doesn't like to not have his privacy. What is, I hope, exagerrated is that he wants out. He didn't say it. There are no indications that it's that bad for him. But in this market, it will be. Yes, this market is far from being perfect. But if there's one guy who knows that it's him...not sure why he said what he said knowing all of that.

We did see what the Cole comment meant to everybody. He plays not that great...well he wants to retire. Was it really what he wanted? As he already announced his retirement? And so on....
The Price trade narrative is being written, and it gives each stakeholder a good exit story.

Bergevin can peddle his asset and characterize it as a good goalie who simply needs a different profile in a different city.

Fans are free to continue believing that Prices environment, not his personal makeup or skill, is cause for up and down results.

Price can leave head held high and with fans sympathy I might add, cast as a player without a ceiling and just too good for a city that eats its young.

Old
05-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:

I agree with most of what you are saying. However, in reference to Cole, he did mention after the new CBA was signed that he did not agree with the pay cut and he would seriously contemplate retirement after the season end, so that wasn't taken out of context...

Old
05-28-2013, 08:58 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
I agree that it might bother him, and he might have had more consistency in another market. But my point was that his quote is that "he's not invaded by an overwhelming pressure, only that my job prevents me from living a normal life. It comes with the territory. Yesterday, I went to the movies, and had trouble just getting in the theater. Small things like that, but it's ok. It comes with the job."

Obviously there's a lot to discuss, and this thread exists for a reason... but to put words in him mouth is not the way to start a rational argument about his consistency.

And to all of you saying Price is garbage and no one would take him... holy crap, enjoy playing NHL13 and stop posting if your knowledge of hockey is this bad... No one is saying he should be winning the Vezina, but holy crap some people hate just for the sake of hating... I feel like I'm watching Fox News talk about Obama. What's next, we'll ask for Carey Price's birth certificate to verify his age??
montreal is a very difficult city to play for with the the constant circus

its not for everybody thats for sure

I think Price will be fine

Old
05-28-2013, 09:00 PM
haburger

how come nobody is comparing price to quick anymore?

Old
05-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
How come nobody is comparing Montreal's D to LA's D?

Last edited by Max et Guillaume: 05-28-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old
05-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Avim86

Quote:

Nope....Calder.

Old
05-28-2013, 10:37 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avim86 View Post
Nope....Calder.
You are right, my mistake. Wasn't he nominated though?

Old
05-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Come on now... I've been defensing Price for a very long time but don't play the their defense is better card.

Quick is so dynamic, aggressive and athletic compared to Price.

Price is basing too much on his positional game, makes him look lazy and nonchalant.

Also, Quick is much much stronger than Price mentally. I'm really doubting if Price can handle the pressure of Montreal. Every season, especially every early playoffs exit, I tell myself, it's okay, Price will learn from it and be stronger mentally in the future... but I keep seeing the same Price over and over again... its getting worrisome.

Old
05-28-2013, 10:55 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Since Quick is legitimately the best goaltender in the league? Price is a very good goalie but he's not at that level yet and it's quite plausible he never reaches Quick level, which is fine, it's hard to get there.

Old
05-28-2013, 10:56 PM
haburger

Quote:
obviously you are not familiar with this thread.never saw any habs to kings d comparisons.but many were comparing price and quick.are you watching the game or what?quick is waaaay above price.gives the kings a chance to win EVERY game.dont expect carey to be that guy,but to compare the two is beyond ridiculous.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Avim86

Quote:
You are right, my mistake. Wasn't he nominated though?
Yes he was nominated and deservedly so , your point still stands was just correcting that little part , Mason's no Theodore that's for sure .

Old
05-28-2013, 11:21 PM
Doc McKenna

Price is good, but this ending won't be depending on how things go. Montreal needs better D, but they would play better knowing that not every single mistake results in a 50/50 result of being a goal. Hard to play an aggressive style when so often price struggles on the short handed goals or simple break aways. Great positional, but not athletic enough to me. Or perhaps its how it looks nonchalant. No way to get up because it rarely looks like a big save. Emotional motivators being what they are.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:33 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Where was the talk of the D when Quick was "struggling" during the regular season? I don't understand some people. Quick, Lundqvist both have good defenses but are elite goalies. You could even say they make their D's look better than they are.

Price should not be compared to them IMO. He should be compared to the Crawfords, Howards, Niemis of the league because I think he's in their category.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:36 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
Price is good, but this ending won't be depending on how things go. Montreal needs better D, but they would play better knowing that not every single mistake results in a 50/50 result of being a goal. Hard to play an aggressive style when so often price struggles on the short handed goals or simple break aways. Great positional, but not athletic enough to me. Or perhaps its how it looks nonchalant. No way to get up because it rarely looks like a big save. Emotional motivators being what they are.
Bigger goalies seem to be less agile for obvious reasons. I do think Price is a lazy goalie, though. I don't know if he'll ever improve that part of his game. Then there's the mental aspect. Price frustrates me because he has the talent to be a top goalie.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:52 PM
haburger

price is average so far.quick is elite.there is no comparison.as a habs fan i can only dream that we will one day have that kind of goaltending.i'm still happy with carey ,for now.but damn it would be great to have a goalie of quick's calibre.unfortunately those goalies dont come around very often.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:53 PM
haburger

and how will canada solve quick next year in sochi?

Old
05-29-2013, 12:09 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
price is average so far.quick is elite.there is no comparison.as a habs fan i can only dream that we will one day have that kind of goaltending.i'm still happy with carey ,for now.but damn it would be great to have a goalie of quick's calibre.unfortunately those goalies dont come around very often.
If Price played like Quick during the season something tells me we'd be reading about you in the news having attacked Carey Price outside of the arena.

Closed Thread