HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

2013 NHL Draft (draft day chat link in Post 887)

Old
05-28-2013, 03:33 PM
mitch27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
Rychel is going to be a solid pro ..rt switch with lazar?
Rychel isn't anywhere near my top 10 forwards to be honest, and I've seen A LOT of him this year.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 03:40 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Brandner View Post
Rychel isn't anywhere near my top 10 forwards to be honest, and I've seen A LOT of him this year.
Players who appear to have wildly inconsistent levels of effort tend to scare me.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 03:48 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

"@azc_mclellan: Regarding the draft, Maloney said he's already been offered deal to move up."

This is an interesting quote. Would anyone care to speculate?

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 03:58 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC96 View Post
"@azc_mclellan: Regarding the draft, Maloney said he's already been offered deal to move up."

This is an interesting quote. Would anyone care to speculate?
Carolina and Edmonton seem to be the most likely spots as they need immediate D help. Would be amazing if GMDM can move up w/o paying an arm and a leg to nab Lindholm/Monahan.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 04:03 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Carolina and Edmonton seem to be the most likely spots as they need immediate D help. Would be amazing if GMDM can move up w/o paying an arm and a leg to nab Lindholm/Monahan.
My thoughts exactly. Amateur question here, but exactly how NHL ready are either Lindholm or Monahan expected to be? Does either need more seasoning in the AHL or could they potentially make the roster of a team with poor center depth such as Phoenix, right out of camp?

Old
05-28-2013, 04:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. Amateur question here, but exactly how NHL ready are either Lindholm or Monahan expected to be? Does either need more seasoning in the AHL or could they potentially make the roster of a team with poor center depth such as Phoenix, right out of camp?
I wouldn't go that route. I'd let them develop.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:12 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I wouldn't go that route. I'd let them develop.
Seems wise after rushing Turris, Boedker etc. From what I understand they have very high ceilings, so it would probably be for the best not to hurry them along.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:17 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Players who appear to have wildly inconsistent levels of effort tend to scare me.
Yup. That's why I hope we stay away from Mantha and Rychel.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:18 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
General consensus is that Monahan is a bit more NHL ready than Lindholm and can probably start in a bottom 6 role immediately due to his defensive + faceoff ability. I tend to agree with that (though Lindholm has very good two-way play as well)

That being said, pretty sure the Yotes will not press either of them into immediate service. And it's the right move - both do need some time in the minors before being thrown into regular duty; definitely don't want to rush them and ruin their development. Although our center situation is far from ideal, GMDM certainly can package our surplus D (e.g. Klesla) into roster forwards.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

So anyone care to take a guess at who DM would need to give up in order to move up to say Carolina's pick? So help me god if any of you say Yandle I'm going to come to your house and beat you with a wet noodle until you either regain some modicum of sense or you're a vegetable and no longer a danger to yourself or those around you!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 04:42 PM
mitch27

I would assume Gormley would be the asking price. At least.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:45 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
So anyone care to take a guess at who DM would need to give up in order to move up to say Carolina's pick? So help me god if any of you say Yandle I'm going to come to your house and beat you with a wet noodle until you either regain some modicum of sense or you're a vegetable and no longer a danger to yourself or those around you!
Likely going to be Gormley+, though I think the Canes desire a RHD more. Maybe GMDM can sell them on Rundblad or Stone...

Old
05-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Likely going to be Gormley+, though I think the Canes desire a RHD more. Maybe GMDM can sell them on Rundblad or Stone...
Or Connor Murphy

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 04:52 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
Or Connor Murphy
I know GMDM is a trade magician and all, but I don't think any GM can get more for Murphy than a bag of pucks at this stage in his career.

Old
05-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
I know GMDM is a trade magician and all, but I don't think any GM can get more for Murphy than a bag of pucks at this stage in his career.
I'm aware of Murphy's value dropping every year. But if were talking about a sell job Murphy is as good a choice as any. And If Gormley has to be the prospect included with our first to move up, I would prefer we stay at 12.

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Brandner View Post
I would assume Gormley would be the asking price. At least.
Gormley is projected to be a 1-2 defenseman and I believe most consider that projection a fairly safe bet. Personally I don't think moving up 7 spots worth that, not even close.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 06:05 PM
XX
... Waiting

I'd take a late 1st and 2 2nds to move back into the last five picks of the first round. That'd give Knickle and Maloney 6 picks inside the top 75. Hope someone falls, or take Rychel/Compher. The depth of the system always needs boosting. Outside of the D (which is about to resolve itself somehow) there ins't much to be proud of.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 06:11 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Listening to DM talking briefly about the draft, you can sense that this will be a very exciting, anything can happen, day.

ParisSaintGermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can find Lindholm's stats.

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 06:24 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
Does anyone know where I can find Lindholm's stats.
As with all prospects, the best site is eliteprospects.com

Quote:
4th best PPG draft eligible year in SEL history.

.84 - D. Sedin (50gp)
.74 - P. Forsberg (23gp)
.69 - H. Sedin (49gp)
.63 - E. Lindholm (48gp)
He's my third ranked forward.

Last edited by rt: 05-28-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old
05-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
General consensus is that Monahan is a bit more NHL ready than Lindholm and can probably start in a bottom 6 role immediately due to his defensive + faceoff ability. I tend to agree with that (though Lindholm has very good two-way play as well)

That being said, pretty sure the Yotes will not press either of them into immediate service. And it's the right move - both do need some time in the minors before being thrown into regular duty; definitely don't want to rush them and ruin their development. Although our center situation is far from ideal, GMDM certainly can package our surplus D (e.g. Klesla) into roster forwards.
Do you think Monahan will learn much more in his fourth year in junior? I don't like rushing these kids, but that fourth year always seems like a wasted year.

Old
05-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
As with all prospects, the best site is eliteprospects.com
Thank you!

Old
05-28-2013, 06:44 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Is Rychel's effort level inconsistent, though, or has it simply improved from the beginning of the season?

Rychel had 48 points in his last 29 games. No OHL player was more productive in the second half of the year. It's worth noting that that was all with Alexander Khokhlachev back on his line. Without Khokhlachev, Rychel scored 39 points in 39 games, which isn't awful, and pretty much anyone would produce more with someone like that on his line than without, so I'm not too concerned about the dropoff.

Rychel is, without a doubt, a complimentary player. He's not great at creating offense on his own, he's not a speedy player, and as mentioned, his effort level can wax and wane. But there's room on a first line for a complimentary player like Rychel as long as there's someone a bit more dynamic to help him generate offense.

The best comparison I can think of is James Neal, though I expect Rychel to be picked a little earlier. Their build, their shot, their nastiness, their inconsistency (at least at the junior level). You can't argue with Neal's production since joining the Penguins. He's played most of that time with Malkin and he obviously needs Malkin more than Malkin needs him, but there aren't a ton of wings in the league who could pot 40 goals in back-to-back seasons (prorated) even with a stud center dishing him the puck.

I expect Rychel to be a very similar player. There are players who will weigh down whatever line their on, and there are players who will lift their linemates, whoever they are. But there are also guys like Neal and Rychel who, while they can't carry a line on their own, are capable of flourishing under the right circumstances.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Kaibur

Maloney also said he could trade down to around #20.

Last year, Buffalo traded #21 and #42 to Calgary for #14. Just for comparison.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
Do you think Monahan will learn much more in his fourth year in junior? I don't like rushing these kids, but that fourth year always seems like a wasted year.
If he were my prospect, I'd want him to stay in the NHL next season for nine games, get assigned to his junior squad, completely DOMINATE the OHL, go to the World JRs, destroy that tournament, win a gold medal, and then come play for my AHL squad in the playoffs for pro experience. The following NHL training camp is his oyster.