HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part IV)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-27-2013, 11:42 PM
  #751
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
So... the Jets should be looking for another Wheeler-type? A fast, pass-first player that can help push the play with Kane? Sounds simple enough.

Just need to pry PA Parenteau away from Avs. Or better yet, Ted Purcell from the TBay Lightning.
Anything beats Miettinen... well almost

garret9 is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 01:24 PM
  #752
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 14,169
vCash: 500
I'm sure you already know this, but we were discussing on the Preds board one of our prospects, Brendan Leipsic. He ended up being the top scorer in the WHL. I was trying to temper expectations and came up with Postma as an example. In 08-09 with the Calgary Hitmen, he was +67 with 84 pts. (23+61)

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 01:40 PM
  #753
ps241
Thank you lotto gods
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 16,972
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I'm sure you already know this, but we were discussing on the Preds board one of our prospects, Brendan Leipsic. He ended up being the top scorer in the WHL. I was trying to temper expectations and came up with Postma as an example. In 08-09 with the Calgary Hitmen, he was +67 with 84 pts. (23+61)
Leipsic is a big time agitator but played in a high octane offensive system on a great line in Portland so it would be wise to temper expectations on the roll he will play for Nashville. He is small but plays with the Marchand attitude so we shall see how (if) his game translates to the NHL. I know people like to use Marchand as an example when they are referencing any undersized player but Leipsic actually has a similar attitude (swagger). One thing for sure is he is a competitor that will get his nose dirty and play around the net.

ps241 is online now  
Old
05-28-2013, 01:43 PM
  #754
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net
 
CorgisPer60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Please Understand
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,106
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I'm sure you already know this, but we were discussing on the Preds board one of our prospects, Brendan Leipsic. He ended up being the top scorer in the WHL. I was trying to temper expectations and came up with Postma as an example. In 08-09 with the Calgary Hitmen, he was +67 with 84 pts. (23+61)
Postma still has a legitimate shot at the NHL as a bottom pair D. It's much more difficult to project how a D prospect will end up vs a forward.

CorgisPer60 is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 01:52 PM
  #755
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 14,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Leipsic is a big time agitator but played in a high octane offensive system on a great line in Portland so it would be wise to temper expectations on the roll he will play for Nashville. He is small but plays with the Marchand attitude so we shall see how (if) his game translates to the NHL. I know people like to use Marchand as an example when they are referencing any undersized player but Leipsic actually has a similar attitude (swagger). One thing for sure is he is a competitor that will get his nose dirty and play around the net.
Yeah, we're pretty excited...but we'll see. I had forgotten about those stats that Postma put up. 84 pts for a D?! That's insane.

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 04:23 PM
  #756
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,911
vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Yeah, we're pretty excited...but we'll see. I had forgotten about those stats that Postma put up. 84 pts for a D?! That's insane.
AtlantaWhaler, what's the latest on Ekholm? Both in terms of his development / play, as well as his opportunity with the Preds next season.

He'll be 24 when the season starts so I'm guessing he would have to clear waivers to go to the minors? Will be be on the roster this year?

Huffer is online now  
Old
05-28-2013, 04:43 PM
  #757
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
AtlantaWhaler, what's the latest on Ekholm? Both in terms of his development / play, as well as his opportunity with the Preds next season.

He'll be 24 when the season starts so I'm guessing he would have to clear waivers to go to the minors? Will be be on the roster this year?
Nope. He has one more year of being waiver free. Waiver rules are not really based on current age, it's more about when a player first signs his NHL contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I'm sure you already know this, but we were discussing on the Preds board one of our prospects, Brendan Leipsic. He ended up being the top scorer in the WHL. I was trying to temper expectations and came up with Postma as an example. In 08-09 with the Calgary Hitmen, he was +67 with 84 pts. (23+61)
Postma is very underrated on these boards. He is a solid bottom pairing guy already, and has more upside in him. His defensive game is not nearly so bad as people make out, and he was rarely used in his bread and butter situation in Winnipeg (the powerplay).

Postma is 6'3'' and a defenseman, whereas Leipsic is 5'8'' and a forward. Not sure why Postma would even be in the discussion? Leipsic could be another Justin Azevedo, or Brendan Gallagher.

Holden Caulfield is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 04:45 PM
  #758
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,911
vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Nope. He has one more year of being waiver free. Waiver rules are not really based on current age, it's more about when a player first signs his NHL contract.
Thanks HC, I didn't have the time to look at Capgeek and just took a guess based on age.

Huffer is online now  
Old
05-28-2013, 04:50 PM
  #759
bigplay41*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,601
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
So whats everyone thoughts on Ivan Telgin? obviously had a rough year on the rock but still has a lot of upside does he not??

bigplay41* is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 06:09 PM
  #760
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
So whats everyone thoughts on Ivan Telgin? obviously had a rough year on the rock but still has a lot of upside does he not??
Tough to tell.
When St.J was suffering bad the Telegin-ODell-Klingberg line was really good and fun to watch... but then he lost so much of the season with injuries.
I always thought of him as needing some time for refinement so he's worth being project and take time with... although he's from the same draft class as Burmi so maybe his time is up

garret9 is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 07:12 PM
  #761
Jet
Moderator
GO JETS GO!
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,439
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Nope. He has one more year of being waiver free. Waiver rules are not really based on current age, it's more about when a player first signs his NHL contract.



Postma is very underrated on these boards. He is a solid bottom pairing guy already, and has more upside in him. His defensive game is not nearly so bad as people make out, and he was rarely used in his bread and butter situation in Winnipeg (the powerplay).

Postma is 6'3'' and a defenseman, whereas Leipsic is 5'8'' and a forward. Not sure why Postma would even be in the discussion? Leipsic could be another Justin Azevedo, or Brendan Gallagher.
I agree on Postma. His mistakes (which seemed to become less frequent and impactful as he played more) are expected for a rookie NHL defenseman. What he does have is size and offensive instinct. It very well may take him a couple/ few more years to reach the potential he possesses. He still could end up being a very good NHL defenseman.

__________________
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde
Jet is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 07:24 PM
  #762
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
I agree on Postma. His mistakes (which seemed to become less frequent and impactful as he played more) are expected for a rookie NHL defenseman. What he does have is size and offensive instinct. It very well may take him a couple/ few more years to reach the potential he possesses. He still could end up being a very good NHL defenseman.
His offensive abilities wowed me on a few occasions. He just missed on a couple prime opportunities and he can handle the puck through traffic with speed better than most Jet forwards.

If he can get his offensive game rolling and smooth out overall he could be a nice puck moving #4/PP specialist. He really doesn't hit though. Like Toby levels of none. The hitting doesn't mean much to me, but he is a little soft on the boards, which is odd for a guy that size.

EDIT

I thought Postma looked shaky early, but apart from the one brutal turnover that led to a shorty he was pretty steady after his trip to the press box.


Last edited by truck: 05-28-2013 at 07:33 PM.
truck is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 08:17 PM
  #763
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 5,366
vCash: 500
Well I'm not buying what your selling re: Postma.

Until he improves his gap control and can contain forwards in the d zone, he's an offensive specialist that may be a good 2nd unit pp player. But I can't see him playing significant minutes and in all situations until he can show he can play solid defense. How long do you shelter him?

Bob E is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 08:52 PM
  #764
Boreal
Registered User
 
Boreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,851
vCash: 500
I have Postma ahead of Redmond on my depth chart. I really like what he brings to the table now, and I like his upside. Now, the Jets appear to have a number of righties who can contribute on the PP which diminishes one the big positives to Posty's game. However, in a vacuum, I like him over Redmond. This may or may not prove to be a smart statement.

Boreal is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 09:00 PM
  #765
pucka lucka
Registered User
 
pucka lucka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,066
vCash: 50
Postma was figuring it all out late in the year. Early he was a MA Bergeron in his own end, then he saw the press box. When back he focused on D and was much improved. The last bit he was back skating with the puck again. I think he might turn out to be pretty darn good.

pucka lucka is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 10:25 PM
  #766
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 5,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
Postma was figuring it all out late in the year. Early he was a MA Bergeron in his own end, then he saw the press box. When back he focused on D and was much improved. The last bit he was back skating with the puck again. I think he might turn out to be pretty darn good.
I disagree. The only thing he 'figured out' was jumping into the rush a bit more, and scored a few more goals and points, later in the year.

Defensively his game didn't change much.

But if that's the player he is, that's fine. Is he an NHL player? Absolutely. I just don't see him gaining more ice and playing significant mins on PK, etc. Will or can he play top 4 mins. Not until he's more competent in his zone, and reduce the giveaways, etc. he would have a very difficult time playing playoff hockey, IMO. Redmond would be better suited to playoff hockey, which makes him higher on my depth chart than Postma.

But that's the sign of a young dman.

Bob E is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 10:39 PM
  #767
Jet
Moderator
GO JETS GO!
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,439
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Well I'm not buying what your selling re: Postma.

Until he improves his gap control and can contain forwards in the d zone, he's an offensive specialist that may be a good 2nd unit pp player. But I can't see him playing significant minutes and in all situations until he can show he can play solid defense. How long do you shelter him?
I think you are asking too much from Postma considering his mold and level of NHL experience. Not all defensemen come in a la Karlsson and have it figured out immediately. Some D men don't 'get it' til they are in their late twenties.

I think all you can do is continue to look for improvement. As long as he is heading in the right direction then you have to be happy with his development.

Jet is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 11:06 PM
  #768
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 5,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
I think you are asking too much from Postma considering his mold and level of NHL experience. Not all defensemen come in a la Karlsson and have it figured out immediately. Some D men don't 'get it' til they are in their late twenties.

I think all you can do is continue to look for improvement. As long as he is heading in the right direction then you have to be happy with his development.
The only thing I objected to was the comment he's not that bad defensively.

Right now, I'm not sure who is worse defensively than Postma on the Jets d. Redmond started to struggle, before he was sat down and then injured. But defensively, he was stronger than Postma and if he wasn't injured, likely would have played more games and more mins than Postma, IMO. But we'll never know, I suppose.

He's got a long ways to go defensively, but offensively he can push the play and support the rush well. And has a bomb from the point and should be used on the pp more. He's young and his offensive game is developing and better than maybe half the Jets d. I would like to see more progression playing defence. But that may be just me.


Edit: looked up his box stats and in his last 4 games he had 0 pts and was -3. Averaging around 15 mins. All I'm saying is he has work to do defensively.


Last edited by Bob E: 05-28-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Bob E is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 03:20 AM
  #769
GoldenJet89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 619
vCash: 500
on the postma/defence note... i guess its never a bad thing to have a decent number of talented guys, but doesnt it seem like we have a very weird mix of players?

assuming postma is on the third pairing... we basically have 4 defencemen that are more offensively talented than defensively

enstrom's skating makes him useful in our own zone, but lack of physicality and net presence hurt him a lot.. our first pairing is not a shutdown pair

buff is buff... we've talked his pros and cons to death

clitsome checks hard and plays somewhat physical, but he is still at his best as a puck moving/distributing guy, with a decent shot to go along with it... his defence improved drastically, but not to a top 4 level IMO

and postma, whos been discussed in this page alot, way more of an offensive minded player than anything

that leaves redmond, stuart, bogo, hainsey (likely gone), meech, and trouba. FOUR of which are right hand D. we likely need the most help on the left side going forward... are any of these guys going to be able to excell on their off-side, or do we need to look at filling that void elsewhere

as many combinations as i drum up in my head, none really look that solid defensively to me. even if trouba steps in and contributes right away

GoldenJet89 is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 07:06 AM
  #770
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 14,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
AtlantaWhaler, what's the latest on Ekholm? Both in terms of his development / play, as well as his opportunity with the Preds next season.
Everyone is excited about Ekholm, however, so far it's been mainly because of his play overseas. So far, he's had trouble adapting to NA ice. He played with the Preds for some of the 11-12 season and was eventually called out by Trotz for poor play. This past year in Milwaukee (AHL), I believe he played well, but missed some time due to injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Postma is 6'3'' and a defenseman, whereas Leipsic is 5'8'' and a forward. Not sure why Postma would even be in the discussion? Leipsic could be another Justin Azevedo, or Brendan Gallagher.
The only reason why Postma was being discussed was just to make a point that huge numbers in juniors (or more exactly the Dub), doesn't translate into top-end talent. Though it wasn't a knock on Postma.

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 07:16 AM
  #771
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
I think you are asking too much from Postma considering his mold and level of NHL experience. Not all defensemen come in a la Karlsson and have it figured out immediately. Some D men don't 'get it' til they are in their late twenties.

I think all you can do is continue to look for improvement. As long as he is heading in the right direction then you have to be happy with his development.
Yeah, Karlsson was not even close to "having it all figured out" when he came to the NHL. His defensive game was a MESS. I mean a rotten ridiculous mess. He was Cam Fowler bad when he broke in. It's improved steadily though, to just below average.

Postma is not a rock defensively. He never will be. Asking him to play defensively or play PK will always be a mistcast. Wanting him to be a physical player also wouldn't work. But he moves the puck real well, skates real well, decent enough positionally. Needs to continue to improve his defense, but it is not terrible like some make it out to be. It's below average, not horrendous. It will likely never be above average, but that's alright.

I take Postma's natural skill and upside over Redmond's slightly steadier lower upside play. But that's just MO.

Holden Caulfield is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 07:17 AM
  #772
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 14,169
vCash: 500
While we're on the subject of D, what's everyone's thoughts on Julian Melchiori? I was real excited when we drafted him and was my pick as a dark horse to possibly become a solid middle pairing D. With Trouba becoming one of the best D prospects in the league, it looks like the future defense is really good.

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 07:34 AM
  #773
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
While we're on the subject of D, what's everyone's thoughts on Julian Melchiori? I was real excited when we drafted him and was my pick as a dark horse to possibly become a solid middle pairing D. With Trouba becoming one of the best D prospects in the league, it looks like the future defense is really good.
Had probably the best rookie season of all rookies in St. John's. Still has some upside, good size, good skater, could definitely be an NHLer down the road. For now he will continue to ply his trade in St. John's, could see an expanded role in St. John's next year as I think St. John's will begin to filter out these veterans they keep signing (Jaffray, King, Ramsay, etc) and start using more prospects, guys like Melchiori, Klingberg, Telegin, Sutter, etc, etc will start to take more responsibility.

Holden Caulfield is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 08:05 AM
  #774
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 14,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Had probably the best rookie season of all rookies in St. John's. Still has some upside, good size, good skater, could definitely be an NHLer down the road. For now he will continue to ply his trade in St. John's, could see an expanded role in St. John's next year as I think St. John's will begin to filter out these veterans they keep signing (Jaffray, King, Ramsay, etc) and start using more prospects, guys like Melchiori, Klingberg, Telegin, Sutter, etc, etc will start to take more responsibility.
Awesome. I'd watch him at camp and was amazed at his size and how well he used it. Wasn't afraid to throw his body around either. At the time, it did make me nervous when he left school early and joined the USHL.

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 08:39 AM
  #775
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Had probably the best rookie season of all rookies in St. John's. Still has some upside, good size, good skater, could definitely be an NHLer down the road. For now he will continue to ply his trade in St. John's, could see an expanded role in St. John's next year as I think St. John's will begin to filter out these veterans they keep signing (Jaffray, King, Ramsay, etc) and start using more prospects, guys like Melchiori, Klingberg, Telegin, Sutter, etc, etc will start to take more responsibility.
I think Jaff has a job as long as he wants one, but I agree about them filtering out some vets. Clearly this batch of Vets couldn't get it done. It is time for some young blood via draft picks and hopefully some undrafted UFAs. Back to Melch... It seemed all along (to me) like TNSE had a plan for him.

truck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.