HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Era For Bruins, How Does It Compare?

Old
10-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Gerry4001

vCash: 500
New Era For Bruins, How Does It Compare?

Looks like this season, is officially, the beginning of a whole new era for the B's. Is it back to zero? or the beginning of something great? Never, ever have I seen an organization change from top to bottom like that in one year... even the Pooh Bear is gone! They are also going to bring back the early 70's jersey as the third one too, that is the best idea yet.

How does this brand spanking new team compare to ones from the past?
For starters, they almost all had a heavy weight on defence if you know what I mean.

-1938-39- 1940-41- Eddie Shore, Milt Schmidt

-1969-70- 1974-75- Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito

-1976-77 -1979-80- Brad Park, Terry O'Reilly

-1987-88 -1989-90- Ray Bourqe, Cam Neely

-2000-2005- Joe Thornton, Glenn Murray

-2007-2008- Zedno Chara, Patrice Bergeron

Gerry4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:07 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Wishful thinking perhaps, but how about having 2 very good blueliners like Chara and Stuart similarly to Bourque and Sweeney over the years? It seemed that the guys up fromt would change, but they always had solid defense as long as they had those two guys.

smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 05:57 PM
BBruins7719428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry4001 View Post
Looks like this season, is officially, the beginning of a whole new era for the B's. Is it back to zero? or the beginning of something great? Never, ever have I seen an organization change from top to bottom like that in one year... even the Pooh Bear is gone! They are also going to bring back the early 70's jersey as the third one too, that is the best idea yet.

For starters, they almost all had a heavy weight on defence if you know what I mean.

- I would say Thornton and Samsonov rather than Murray.

BBruins7719428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 07:50 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry4001 View Post

I like your enthusiasm. Generally I agree, this is the start of a new era. Moreover, I do believe there is a foundation in place for the B's to become a great team.

The difference between now and those other teams is that the new NHL induces parity. We are going to see much more turnover in the player ranks, similar to the way Milloy, Law, McGinnis, Givens, Vinatieri etc have defected from the Pats over the past few years. It'll be hard for many good NHL clubs, certainly the champions, to hold onto their players, especially as cap growth increasingly diminishes.

The best approach entails several elements. One is to lock up some of your best players NOW to long term deals. As the cap begins to level off, players signed today to reasonable long term contracts will become a better value tomorrow. Secondly, there needs to be significant emphasis placed on identifying and evaluating talent. You have to not only know how to spot good players and assess their ceiling, but you need to know how to put a realistic pricetag on them. Thirdly, you must have an asset-producing player development system along with the keen ability to integrate newbies into the roster as eventual replacements.

The good news for the Bruins is that they seem to understand this - and more importantly, they look to be well positioned to effectively execute such a multifaceted strategy. For instance, the B's have demostrated strengths in drafting, player development and the ability to roadmap players into the NHL. Plus, they seem to have more savvy now for salary negotiations and pro-talent evaluation. Also, in addition to having long term foundational pieces in place (Chara, Bergeron), they have solid organizational depth, especially goaltending and defense. All said, it looks like they are in a good position to navigate the future.

Whether or not this translates into one of those famous eras you mention is another question. But, if Chiarelli can in fact suppliment the expected player defections by identifying the right guys and effectively meshing them with the talent the Bruins already have, then with Chara, Bergeron and guys like Boyes, Stuart, Kessel, Toivonen, etc, as a foundation, this team should be something pretty close.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Jason010304

I agree with you guys. This is a new era (new coach, new GM, spending on big free agents). I also agree that the foundation is here to be perennial playoff team and within a couple of years, cup contender.........However, only time will tell how this team compares to past Bruins era's. Obviously, it will take a lot (2 cups) to compare to the Bruins of the late 60's early 70's to this new era. For this "new era" to be successful, it will have to win at least one cup in my opinion. Lets just hope this era doesn't turn into the O' Connell - Thornton era (first round and out every year)....................I feel optimistic that this team will be better than previous. And i also feel that this team could win a cup in the next 5 years......

Jason010304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 10:10 PM
whatsbruin

I don't see the Thornton/Murray and Chara/Bergeron comparisons against those
other names you have listed. Maybe I just don't equate the newer players talent
with the blasts from the past, but I just don't see it.

I think this team has improved leaps and bounds from last years, both in talent, attitude and management persona. Its a step in the right direction, and over the course of the year we'll learn if it was a baby step, a good first step, or a giant leap. I'm hoping for the latter, but I'll take any step in the right direction.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote