HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Fire Todd McLellan (Mod: Extended Per Dreger)

Old
05-28-2013, 11:49 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
AV is actually worse than McLellan. Without AV on the Nucks bench we may not have a second round loss to cry over.
I agree with this 100%. Even at the time I thought AV was idiotic to go back to Schneider for Games 3 and 4. Yes the Sharks were up 2-0, but the Sharks weren't scoring goals because of Lou and I don't think they looked that great against Lou. I really think if AV stuck with Lou the series would have gone longer, maybe much longer.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:50 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
He was successful when he had no alternative anymore. If the Sharks don't trade Murray, McLellan continues to play him. If the Sharks don't trade Clowe, he would've continued to play him. Handzus was playing up until the Murray trade when he had not earned a spot in the lineup even dating back to last season.

There are issues with McLellan that will make it supremely difficult to get over the hump and win it all. His personnel decisions cost them a lot of games. And he's not helped out by DW because he only enables this veteran experience culture that they have.
First of all Wilson wouldn't trade anyone without consulting the coaching staff.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:52 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Outcoaching AV isnt a huge accomplishment. TMac isnt a great coach. He only makes lineup changes when the team loses. He kept playing Murray over Demers in the regular season and still played Irwin in Game 7.
Robinson kept playing Murray over Demers

Old
05-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Robinson kept playing Murray over Demers
The Pen's still are. In fact they gave us 2 2nds for him.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
PF,
I am not sure how they got into the bigger is better in Buffalo but Ruff was playing it to beat the band to his own detriment. He wasn't using what he had very well at all at the end of his tenure. Previously, he was a good coach for developing forwards and coaching offensive systems.
Maybe so but Ruff is really only for going for it next year. I don't want this team to do that. They need to go back to building from within. Since they're going to have to make cuts to get under the cap or be top heavy to be compliant, I don't see how they can improve so much to make them legitimate Cup contenders rather than a team that needs to get lucky (since the Sharks don't get a lot of that historically).

They need to get younger, they need to get quicker, and they need a coach that is better at playing that way and developing young players at this level. I don't like that young players have to play safe to stay in the lineup. Braun shows flashes of offensive ability and intelligence but they're so risk-averse that the guys that are smart enough, play it safe so they don't get yanked from the lineup.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
I would take Pat Quinn, Lindy Ruff and Paul Maurice over TMac.
Yeah this team would suck if that happened.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
He was successful when he had no alternative anymore. If the Sharks don't trade Murray, McLellan continues to play him. If the Sharks don't trade Clowe, he would've continued to play him. Handzus was playing up until the Murray trade when he had not earned a spot in the lineup even dating back to last season.

There are issues with McLellan that will make it supremely difficult to get over the hump and win it all. His personnel decisions cost them a lot of games. And he's not helped out by DW because he only enables this veteran experience culture that they have.
While I think we agree on most, my biggest problem with TMac is that it appears he installs a system of not finishing your check. Which has been proven to be an integral part of winning the cup.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:
First of all Wilson wouldn't trade anyone without consulting the coaching staff.
Fairly presumptuous statement.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Either, DW would trade someone without consulting and is doing it because it's obvious that certain guys were hindering the team or they consulted and came to that decision and yet still played him anyway knowing full well it was solely to keep his trade value up rather than doing what is best for the team in terms of winning games at that moment. Either way, it doesn't speak too well to DW nor TMac and is a huge internal issue that needs to be addressed.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:57 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Maybe so but Ruff is really only for going for it next year. I don't want this team to do that. They need to go back to building from within. Since they're going to have to make cuts to get under the cap or be top heavy to be compliant, I don't see how they can improve so much to make them legitimate Cup contenders rather than a team that needs to get lucky (since the Sharks don't get a lot of that historically).

They need to get younger, they need to get quicker, and they need a coach that is better at playing that way and developing young players at this level. I don't like that young players have to play safe to stay in the lineup. Braun shows flashes of offensive ability and intelligence but they're so risk-averse that the guys that are smart enough, play it safe so they don't get yanked from the lineup.
I see Ruff circa 03-05 as an excellent developmental coach. He hasn't been so good in that regard recently. 03-05 was also good on systems, breakout options coming out of their ears with a smurf team.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:58 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Either, DW would trade someone without consulting and is doing it because it's obvious that certain guys were hindering the team or they consulted and came to that decision and yet still played him anyway knowing full well it was solely to keep his trade value up rather than doing what is best for the team in terms of winning games at that moment. Either way, it doesn't speak too well to DW nor TMac and is a huge internal issue that needs to be addressed.
I guess man. The Sharks went through quite the metamorphosis this season.

Old
jeg2315

Quote:
Coaches like Torts and Keenan are a dying breed. The players make too much money to be intimidated by a coach. Guaranteed contracts contribute to the psychology. The more effective coaches are generally more low key.
I wonder if Mark Jackson can coach hockey

jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
The Pen's still are. In fact they gave us 2 2nds for him.
The Pens are a much better team than the Sharks and Murray is seeing a lot less icetime than the other 5 Pittsburgh defenceman.

Old
OrrNumber4

Quote:
I see Ruff circa 03-05 as an excellent developmental coach. He hasn't been so good in that regard recently. 03-05 was also good on systems, breakout options coming out of their ears with a smurf team.
Isn't that really only one season?

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:00 AM
WantonAbandon

One thing the Sharks need to improve on is to find a guy who can bury chances up close in front of the goal. All the guys they have seem to need a lot of room. At this point we have to hope Hertl is that guy

Old
05-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
While I think we agree on most, my biggest problem with TMac is that it appears he installs a system of not finishing your check. Which has been proven to be an integral part of winning the cup.
Well, the focus isn't on hitting with this staff. While they're right that there are more important issues than hitting like puck management and defensive positioning, it's something that ought to be ingrained in their thought process and it isn't. I don't care if the team is on the losing end of the hit stat but there's no reason to not finish your check unless you see an opportunity to pick up a loose puck...especially on the fore-check.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:01 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
No it hasn't. Typically cup winners have finished near the bottom for "hitting" because teams that possess the puck more tend to dictate play and win more games. Hits are the most inconsistent stat in the game.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:02 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Yeeeeah, let's keep playing the 4th line with 6 minutes left to go in game 7 when we need a goal - a line that can't do **** on the score-sheet ...

Is this idiot's contract up, or does he really need to be fired? Can we just let him walk?

Fire DW while we're at it too ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:02 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Isn't that really only one season?
I think he meant 03-05 and before its no coincidence that it is prior to the lockout

Old
05-29-2013, 12:04 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Yeeeeah, let's keep playing the 4th line with 6 minutes left to go in game 7 when we need a goal - a line that can't do **** on the score-sheet ...

Is this idiot's contract up, or does he really need to be fired? Can we just let him walk?

Fire DW while we're at it too ...
The fourth line got some of the best chances

Old
05-29-2013, 12:04 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
I would take Pat Quinn, Lindy Ruff and Paul Maurice over TMac.
If you really really want Aaron EkBlad.

MarleauApologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Well, the focus isn't on hitting with this staff. While they're right that there are more important issues than hitting like puck management and defensive positioning, it's something that ought to be ingrained in their thought process and it isn't. I don't care if the team is on the losing end of the hit stat but there's no reason to not finish your check unless you see an opportunity to pick up a loose puck...especially on the fore-check.
I don't think that's all on the coaching. When you see your two stars not doing it, it's tough for the rest of the team to follow. Neither Jumbo nor Patty have ever used their size.

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:
The fourth line got some of the best chances
Did you actually think they were going to score?

Old
05-29-2013, 12:07 AM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

vCash: 1185
I like TMac, I honestly do, but 5 years down the road he is under .500 in the playoffs. That is clearly not good enough. I'm on the fence with this one.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:07 AM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCondor View Post
Serious question, is AV a realistic option? Need-be we go another route?

Edit: I'm still on board for keeping TMac. Just a 'what if' and what fans think.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I hate that guy more than I hated Raffi Torres. No AV, he is the anti christ. Please no. I can't describe how much I hate that weasel. No I don't want him anywhere near this team.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote