HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2013, 01:09 AM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

vCash: 500
Not saying that Price is on Quick's level by any means, but as someone who watched a large majority of Kings games this season (Roommate is a huge kings fan), I can say that Quick didn't have the best season this year (Not including these playoffs). Quick is definitely an elite goalie don't get me wrong, and is probably one of the best goalies in the NHL, if not the best, but saying he had a vastly superior year to Price is just simply incorrect. Also, the defense in LA is much better than the defense in Montreal. It really is night and day.

Not using these observations to defend the notion that Price is as good as Quick by any means, only sharing what i seen this year. Price has a lot of work to do to even come close to the Elite level that Quick is currently on, but i think many of you are over evaluating Quick's regular season this year. I know you are all big fans of Quick, as am I... I would love to have him on our team... so as I put my flame suit on I will say this one last thing... Over this regular season Quick was not... (Deep Breath, and fetal position)...Spectacular.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:19 AM
McNuts

Quick sucked this year. Not even top 10. Now he's a monster in the playoffs. But why are people saying he had a good year? It was terrible. Price had a better season than Quick.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:34 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Quick sucked this year. Not even top 10. Now he's a monster in the playoffs. But why are people saying he had a good year? It was terrible. Price had a better season than Quick.
I think you will find going forward that when it comes to goaltending, performance in the regular season is no longer a measuring stick.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:39 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
If Price played like Quick during the season something tells me we'd be reading about you in the news having attacked Carey Price outside of the arena.
If Price played like Quick this past reg season and in the post season, there wouldn't be a single complaint.

The playoffs is where you're judged. Price has one of the worst playoff numbers out of any active goalie right now.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:39 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
NYR, Boston, Columbus, Los Angeles, Nashville just on top of my head, would not do this for performance-related reasons.

Then, you've got teams like Vancouver, Detroit, Anaheim, Phoenix, St. Louis, Ottawa, Carolina and Minnesota who would not do it based on fit and chemestry, and also based on cost and the fact it's not worth it to pull the trigger on such a trade for them for that little difference in performance.

That's 13 teams I wouldn't see being interested in trading their #1 goalie for Price, for many different reasons.
Let's go through each team and see if they would make the trade:

Anaheim: Can someone explain to me how they have goalie depth? They have a guy in Hiller who's 31 and over his shorter career has played just as well as Price, except the age factor. Fasth has played 25 games in the NHL. Enough said. Gibson too young, not ready yet. Bobkov and Andersen, not good enough IMO. In short, Anaheim takes the deal Hiller/Fasth for Price (although MTL shouldn't).

Boston: Rask is better than Price and same age. Enough said.

Buffalo: Miller getting older and playing just as good as Price past couple (2-3) years and Enroth not better than Price IMO. Buffalo takes the deal Price for Miller.

Calgary: Miikka Kiprusoff way too old. Joey MacDonald not better than Price. Calgary takes the deal Kiprusoff for Price.

Carolina: Ward is older, stats just as good as Price's if not worse (over his entire career vs. Price's). Carolina takes the deal Ward for Price.

Chicago: This one is a tough one. I believe in the fact because Corey is only 3 years in the league and his stats are pretty good, but just as good as Price's and he's a bit older. Also, add in the fact that the previous two seasons (especially last season) they were tandeming him and Emery, I say Chicago takes the deal Crawford for Price.

Colorado: Varlamov and Giguere aren't anywhere near Price's level. Colorado takes the deal Varlamov for Price.

Columbus: Although Bobo did secure a nomination for Vezina, to me it's sort of asterisk because it was half a season (as is PK's Norris nod). He is younger than Price, but has played less games than Price and has been just as inconsistent as Price. To me it goes both ways, if Columbus believes they can contend for the SC next year or feel that Bobo couldn't propel them to the POs in an 82 game season, Columbus takes the deal Bobrovsky for Price. However if they still think it's another rebuild year, they don't do it.

Dallas: Lehtonen being older than Price and having about the same if not worse career numbers than Price, I say Dallas takes the deal Lehtonen for Price.

Detroit: I'll agree Howard is better. They don't take this deal as they are contenders still and still have a prime goalie. Detroit does not take the deal Howard for Price.

Edmonton: Dubnyk is older than Price and has just as good if not worse numbers than Price over their careers. Price has played more games too. Edmonton takes the deal Dubnyk for Price.

Florida: I don't believe Markstrom is ready yet and won't be until he's at least 26/27, which gives Price 5+ years as the #1 should Florida be ready to contend. Florida takes the trade Theodore or Clemmensen for Price.

Los Angeles: We all know what this one should be. LA does not take the deal Quick for Price.

Minnesota: Backstrom is damn old and Harding (i hate to say it) is not guaranteed to be able to overcome his battle with MS and play 60+ regular season games + playoffs. Minnesota takes the deal Backstrom for Price.

Nashville: Rinne is older, he has better numbers than Price. i don't want to use the defense in front of him excuse, so i won't. I think Nashville doesn't take the deal Rinne for Price.

New Jersey: Brodeur is all but done. Hedberg can't start 60+ games and perform in the playoffs. New Jersey takes the deal Brodeur for Price.

New York Islanders: Nabokov is old, and highly unlikely DiPietro makes a comeback and is also about 5 years older than Price. New York Islanders takes the deal Nabokov for Price.

New York Rangers: Reigning Vezina Trophy winner, The King. New York Rangers don't take the deal Lundqvist for Price.

Ottawa: Based on their goalie depth only do the Sens not trade Anderson for Price. They would be stupid to trade Lehner for Price too. Ottawa doesn't take the deal Anderson/Lehner for Price.

Philadelphia: Mason although younger than Price, don't believe would be ready to propel Philadelphia to a Cup. Phildelphia takes the deal Bryzgalov for Price.

Phoenix: Smith is inconsistent. Price is younger and just as good. Phoenix takes the deal Smith for Price.

Pittsburgh: Fleury is older than Price and has been proven to collapse harder than Price in the POs. They can't rely on a guy like Vokoun forever. Pittsburgh takes the deal Fleury for Price.

San Jose: They're contenders and have a strong goalie in net in Niemi. San Jose doesn't take the deal Niemi for Price.

St. Louis: They're contenders and got unlucky with the LA matchup. I don't get the save percentage numbers though this regular season for Brian Elliott (quite weird at .907 or something and a ridiculously low GAA [i guess skewed cuz of the defensive system the team plays]). I don't think St. Louis makes the deal Elliott for Price.

Tampa Bay: Ben Bishop is about the same age as Price, but has been sort of only been consistent lately and has played less than Price. Price's stats are quite similar and he's played more games both over the career and in a given season. I believe that Tampa Bay takes the deal Bishop for Price.

Toronto: Reimer is younger, but has played less games than Price and has never played more than 40 something games per season thus far. If Leafs are contenders in the next couple years, this trade would definitely happen (also considering all the noise in getting Luongo), I believe Toronto takes the deal Reimer for Price (as do a lot of Leafs fans will )

Vancouver: If Gillis isn't lying in terms of a small rebuild, then they don't take the deal. However I would be confident in saying that Luongo or Schneider or Price the Canucks would take. Price is more proven than Schneider IMO and Luongo is past his prime I think a bit. I think Vancouver Canucks take the deal Luongo/Schneider for Price provided they aren't in rebuild mode.

Washington: Holtby is young and has never played a full season yet. If Washington are truly still contenders than this trade does indeed would happen. I believe Washington takes the deal Holtby for Price.

So if I'm not mistaken the only people who don't take the trade are:

Boston
Columbus (maybe)
Detroit
Los Angeles
Nashville
Rangers
Ottawa
San Jose
St. Louis

So he's arguably Top 8 and definitely Top 9. So we have a top 10 goaltender on our hands. I'm going to be the first to say it he isn't a top 5 goalie yet. But if he wins the Vezina next year, i'm changing a lot of these...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
If Price played like Quick during the season something tells me we'd be reading about you in the news having attacked Carey Price outside of the arena.
LOL

Old
05-29-2013, 01:50 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
If Price played like Quick this past reg season and in the post season, there wouldn't be a single complaint.

The playoffs is where you're judged. Price has one of the worst playoff numbers out of any active goalie right now.
If Price played like Quick did in the regular season we wouldn't have made the playoffs.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:56 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
If Price played like Quick did in the regular season we wouldn't have made the playoffs.
Complete nonsense. Quick is very comparable to Price in the regular season, and really Montreal had good defensive numbers and a top 5 offense that actually pulled Price along nicely.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:58 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
They have identical reg season numbers.

Quick

Price

Old
05-29-2013, 02:03 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Let's go through each team and see if they would make the trade:

So if I'm not mistaken the only people who don't take the trade are:

Boston
Columbus (maybe)
Detroit
Los Angeles
Nashville
Rangers
Ottawa
San Jose
St. Louis

So he's arguably Top 8 and definitely Top 9. So we have a top 10 goaltender on our hands. I'm going to be the first to say it he isn't a top 5 goalie yet. But if he wins the Vezina next year, i'm changing a lot of these...

LOL
Uh..some of these are terrible. No way Washington gives up on Holtby who is younger for Price who has looked far worse in the playoffs.

He already has more playoff wins.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:08 AM
Flyinghab

I'm gonna hold my reservations about this season as it was a bizarre one in so many ways. First off it was 48 games, pre-season routines were thrown out the window. I clearly don't know what Pricey does for workouts but his preparation for the season could be very crucial. A new and experienced goalie coach definitely couldn't hurt, just look how one year changed Reimer. Something that stuck with me when he gave his year end interview, he stated that aside from the knee injury he also had an injury from the previous year. Was it enough to affect his play? Who knows but it makes you wonder. I trust Bergy will help Pricey anyway he can and that he'll be 100% ready to go next season.

Old
05-29-2013, 06:19 AM
habsfanatics

Price's play has never in his career, junior or otherwise played at the level Quick has played the last two playoffs.

Enough of this. Price was a top 5 pick, it doesn't guarantee he'll be one of the best.

Old
05-29-2013, 07:36 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghab View Post
I'm gonna hold my reservations about this season as it was a bizarre one in so many ways. First off it was 48 games, pre-season routines were thrown out the window. I clearly don't know what Pricey does for workouts but his preparation for the season could be very crucial. A new and experienced goalie coach definitely couldn't hurt, just look how one year changed Reimer. Something that stuck with me when he gave his year end interview, he stated that aside from the knee injury he also had an injury from the previous year. Was it enough to affect his play? Who knows but it makes you wonder. I trust Bergy will help Pricey anyway he can and that he'll be 100% ready to go next season.
But this year and playoffs are not an anomaly. Looking at just the playoffs, he has been pretty weak for most of them. I'm willing to see what happens next year. But the injury or goalie coach have nothing to do with him being lazy in his net.

Old
05-29-2013, 07:41 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Uh..some of these are terrible. No way Washington gives up on Holtby who is younger for Price who has looked far worse in the playoffs.

He already has more playoff wins.
Did you even read my post? The guy has played less than 60 regular season games, first of all. Price has played more than that in 1 season. Secondly, again, if Price is on Washington he could've probably have won more than 10 playoff games.

Price is approaching his prime, has played more games, etc. my post was valid in the sense of if Washington wanted to win right now, as I don't know how Holtby plays in an 82-game season while playing 60+ games. Based on this, and the fact that Washington is a contender, they probably would make the trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Price's play has never in his career, junior or otherwise played at the level Quick has played the last two playoffs.

Enough of this. Price was a top 5 pick, it doesn't guarantee he'll be one of the best.
I didn't know that in the span of 5 months that Quick won a World Junior Gold Medal, was the World Juniors Goalie of the Tournament, won the CHL Goalie of the Year (or the NCAA equivalent in his case) and the Jack A. Butterfield Trophy as the AHL Playoffs MVP...

Seeing as Carey did do this, quite impressive for a 19 year-old, especially that last one as a rookie going into the AHL.

Old
05-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Did you even read my post? The guy has played less than 60 regular season games, first of all. Price has played more than that in 1 season. Secondly, again, if Price is on Washington he could've probably have won more than 10 playoff games.

Price is approaching his prime, has played more games, etc. my post was valid in the sense of if Washington wanted to win right now, as I don't know how Holtby plays in an 82-game season while playing 60+ games. Based on this, and the fact that Washington is a contender, they probably would make the trade.
Based on the fact that Washington has $64 million already committed to 20 players next season, Washington does not, under any circumstances, pay almost $5 million/year more to have Price instead of Holtby going forward. Sorry.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:01 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Based on the fact that Washington has $64 million already committed to 20 players next season, Washington does not, under any circumstances, pay almost $5 million/year more to have Price instead of Holtby going forward. Sorry.
I guess you have to look at salary cap, but i'm talking in a world where every team has enough space to accomodate Price...i'm trying to evaluate Price's stock in the NHL, a top 10 goalie and not a top 5 goalie...yet

Old
05-29-2013, 08:03 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Complete nonsense. Quick is very comparable to Price in the regular season, and really Montreal had good defensive numbers and a top 5 offense that actually pulled Price along nicely.
And the Kings had bad defense?

Old
05-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
And the Kings had bad defense?
yeah like that's so what I said.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:08 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

From reading this:

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-top-...ms-in-the-nhl/

The methodology this writer used is pretty good. While ranking the top 5 defensive teams, he used a 40% emphasis on Goals Against (or Goals Against per Game), 20% emphasis on Shots Against, and equal 10% emphasis on Blocked Shots, Hits, Takeaways, and Faceoffs.

Now using this I found:

Goals Against per Game: Montreal was 14th
Shots Against per Game: Montreal was 5th
Blocked Shots: Montreal was 14th
Hits: Montreal was 20th
Takeaways: Montreal was 27th
Faceoff Percentage: Montreal was 17th.

Seeing how the last four were all emphasized equally, if you add up their total emphasis and average their "rankings" you have that 4 categories ranking at 19.5 (round up to 20) so they were 20th on average in those 4 categories.

Now multiplying each actual ranking by their emphasis you have a total defensive ranking (using the emphasis on each category) of:

14*(0.4) + 5*(0.2) + 14*(0.1) + 20*(0.1) + 27*(0.1) + 17*(0.1) giving you a total ranking of 14.4 rounded down to 14th. They were average defensively this year. This statement makes sense to me as that is what I think is actually what happened on ice.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:22 AM
onice

Quote:
Price: GAA 2.59 Sav% 905 - Shots against average 4th best

Quick:GAA 2.45 Sav% 902 - Shots against average 7th best

Yeah I see what you mean.

If Price had had a back operation and put up those numbers, all the fanboys would be screaming that only an elite goalie can do that after a serious operation.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:30 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post

While Quick is a better goalie than Price and I would never argue the contrary..

2007 Calder Cup Playoffs Hamilton Bulldogs 22 45 1314 654 2.06 0.936 15 6 0 0 0 0 0.000 0 2

Price came into the AHL play-offs after his WHL career was over and completely dominated the AHL play-offs, won the Jack Butterfield trophy (Conn Smythe of the AHL) and won the Calder Cup.

Price has shown the capabilities of being a top notch goaltender, an elite goalie, it's just a matter of the right coaching, achieving consistency now as he begins to exit "young goalie" and into "prime goalie", and to find that level of intensity and calmness, that swagger he had when he turned in a Top 5 goalie performance.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:44 AM
onice

Quote:
From reading this:

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-top-...ms-in-the-nhl/

The methodology this writer used is pretty good. While ranking the top 5 defensive teams, he used a 40% emphasis on Goals Against (or Goals Against per Game), 20% emphasis on Shots Against, and equal 10% emphasis on Blocked Shots, Hits, Takeaways, and Faceoffs.

Now using this I found:

Goals Against per Game: Montreal was 14th
Shots Against per Game: Montreal was 5th
Blocked Shots: Montreal was 14th
Hits: Montreal was 20th
Takeaways: Montreal was 27th
Faceoff Percentage: Montreal was 17th.
No the methodology is not very good. It's BS quite frankly.

1) What exactly do hits have to do with defensive play?
2) Takeaways are not as important as giveaways. I would like to see the Habs stat on giveaways.
3) Shot against is not 5th it is 4th.
4) Faceoff % is not that relevant if shots on net is 4th best.
5) What does it really matter if blocked shots they're 14th. Shots on net they're 4th.
6) The argument has been made by some deluded fanboys that yes the Habs allowed the 4th best shots against but the quality of scoring opportunity were higher than other teams. If you want to prove this point show me stats where the Habs were the highest or one of the highest in giving up odd men rushes, breakaways, outnumbered in defensive zone coverage, leaving opponents unchecked in the slot.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:04 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
when he turned in a Top 5 goalie performance.
What top 5 goalie performance are you talking about? The 20 odd games he played in the A? You're pinning your hopes on his brief stint in the A?

The way I see it Price has one more season to prove himself and if MB holds onto him for that one season and Price craps the bed again his value will be worth less than his soiled diapers and just as aromatic.

It's a risk that MB will have to make: stay with Price or cash in on his perceived value and then sign a competent UFA goalie or trade for an up & coming one.

As of today I think MB would come out on the plus side of the transactions. He could probably get a top 5 draft pick and maybe one or two other pieces for Price. A UFA goalie will cost less than what we're paying Price: i.e. Smith. The falloff from a Price you think we'll get to the Smith we will have will more than be compensated by the high draft picks & other pieces. That's if Price starts to approach his potential. If he doesn't, as I think he never will, MB will have made a major trade to better the team.

I'm not 100% certain that Price has shown us his best but pretty close to certain. And it's MB's call. that's why he's paid the big bucks and I post my nonsense for free on the web.

If Price has another typical year, MB will be begging GMs to take him off his hands.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:46 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
What top 5 goalie performance are you talking about? The 20 odd games he played in the A? You're pinning your hopes on his brief stint in the A?

The way I see it Price has one more season to prove himself and if MB holds onto him for that one season and Price craps the bed again his value will be worth less than his soiled diapers and just as aromatic.

It's a risk that MB will have to make: stay with Price or cash in on his perceived value and then sign a competent UFA goalie or trade for an up & coming one.

As of today I think MB would come out on the plus side of the transactions. He could probably get a top 5 draft pick and maybe one or two other pieces for Price. A UFA goalie will cost less than what we're paying Price: i.e. Smith. The falloff from a Price you think we'll get to the Smith we will have will more than be compensated by the high draft picks & other pieces. That's if Price starts to approach his potential. If he doesn't, as I think he never will, MB will have made a major trade to better the team.

I'm not 100% certain that Price has shown us his best but pretty close to certain. And it's MB's call. that's why he's paid the big bucks and I post my nonsense for free on the web.

If Price has another typical year, MB will be begging GMs to take him off his hands.
I have yet to see anyone answering the question why said manager would give up an early 1st++ for Price when he could just sign Smith for less and get the same performance?

Old
05-29-2013, 10:54 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHomez View Post
I have yet to see anyone answering the question why said manager would give up an early 1st++ for Price when he could just sign Smith for less and get the same performance?
Apparently he is an elite goaltender and even though I don't think so, I do believe there are GMs that believe it. Also many of those GMs think Smith's recent success is temporary.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:31 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
No the methodology is not very good. It's BS quite frankly.

1) What exactly do hits have to do with defensive play?
2) Takeaways are not as important as giveaways. I would like to see the Habs stat on giveaways.
3) Shot against is not 5th it is 4th.
4) Faceoff % is not that relevant if shots on net is 4th best.
5) What does it really matter if blocked shots they're 14th. Shots on net they're 4th.
6) The argument has been made by some deluded fanboys that yes the Habs allowed the 4th best shots against but the quality of scoring opportunity were higher than other teams. If you want to prove this point show me stats where the Habs were the highest or one of the highest in giving up odd men rushes, breakaways, outnumbered in defensive zone coverage, leaving opponents unchecked in the slot.
LOL BS. K there defensive specialist.

1) Why are the Bruins/Kings/Sharks/Penguins/Blackhawks one of the top 5 defensive teams? Don't you think their physicality has something to do with it? The way the Bruins bruise you down (especially come POs) is a good thing for defense. If you make a big hit or continuously hit the other team, you can force them into giveaways/turnovers. Anyone who watches hockey would see this.

2) Takeaways are just as important as giveaways. FYI from the past 6 seasons, the Habs ranking in takeaways is as follows:

2012-13: 27th
2011-12: 26th
2010-11: 23rd
2009-10: 16th
2008-09: 9th
2007-08: 7th

So consistenly from year to year, we've taken away less and less pucks. Interesting.

FYI from the past 6 seasons, the Habs ranking in giveaways is as follows:

2012-13: 12th
2011-12: 5th
2010-11: 7th
2009-10: 2nd
2008-09: 3rd
2007-08: 7th

So consistently from year to year, the Habs were among the 10 teams with the highest amount of giveaways. This year we improved, but nothing to boast about being the team with the 12th highest giveaways.

3) The stats say otherwise: http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

4) I don't understand what that means but the reason why Faceoff % is a minorly emphasized statistic for defense is because if you can't win faceoffs in your own zone, you're probably going to give up a scoring opportunity or shot(s) off the draw. Make sense? And it doesn't matter in this situation (the Montreal Canadiens stats this year) if it's "relevant" or not. It's used in the formula and can't be discredited in certain circumstances for certain teams.

5) Again it doesn't matter what the rank is, it's a key component of a formula to find their defensive "ranking".

6) There is no such thing as an official NHL statistic for odd man rushes, breakaways, outnumbered in defensive zone coverage, leaving opponents unchecked in the slot that I know of (unless somebody can post a link that has these statistics). I know i've made that kind of point in the past, with nothing to back it up. What i have now is despite allowing the 5th least amount of shots, their defensive "ranking" was still average, or very very very slightly better than average at 14th. Explain this to me? I'm puzzled.

Despite having one of the top 5 best defensive "ranked" teams in front of him, Jonathan Quick's stats are very similar to Price's...weird

Closed Thread