HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Fire Todd McLellan (Mod: Extended Per Dreger)

Old
05-29-2013, 12:07 AM
WantonAbandon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Did you actually think they were going to score?
Kearns came pretty close a couple of times and the D behind them could have picked up a rebound

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Isn't that really only one season?
Stretch it out, I cut a number on either end. He fell off a bit after losing Briere and Drury. He has really fallen off over the last 3 seasons. I am not sure from whom it comes, Regier or Ruff or a combo of the two.

They pay Ehrhoff a load and put him on #2 PP in favor of Myers. Force Myers into the QB role (he should only be a trigger) and shutdown role (he should be middle pair/physical). Hasn't used his best playmakers on #1 PP. Guys like Ennis and Leino. He isn't putting players in a position to succeed like he used to do. They offloaded Leopold who was likely their second best dman. He had a horrific problem in that he doesn't have an elite playmaker. His best were second and third tier. He gave way too much time to Gaustad who sucked the offense out of any line he was on with his lack of speed.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
The fourth line got some of the best chances
and how many did they bury?

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg2315 View Post
I wonder if Mark Jackson can coach hockey
It's funny you say this because Mark Jackson got badly outcoached against the Spurs. Look no further than Game 1 vs. Spurs.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:10 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
and how many did they bury?
Desi was on when Boyle scored

Old
05-29-2013, 12:10 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Well, the focus isn't on hitting with this staff. While they're right that there are more important issues than hitting like puck management and defensive positioning, it's something that ought to be ingrained in their thought process and it isn't. I don't care if the team is on the losing end of the hit stat but there's no reason to not finish your check unless you see an opportunity to pick up a loose puck...especially on the fore-check.

Yes. The number of fly bys on the forecheck was disheartening. They hit more against the Canucks it seemed but that was probably because the hate them.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:11 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
It's funny you say this because Mark Jackson got badly outcoached against the Spurs. Look no further than Game 1 vs. Spurs.
Outcoached you say? Popovich might be the best coach of all time

Old
05-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Stretch it out, I cut a number on either end. He fell off a bit after losing Briere and Drury. He has really fallen off over the last 3 seasons. I am not sure from whom it comes, Regier or Ruff or a combo of the two.

They pay Ehrhoff a load and put him on #2 PP in favor of Myers. Force Myers into the QB role (he should only be a trigger) and shutdown role (he should be middle pair/physical). Hasn't used his best playmakers on #1 PP. Guys like Ennis and Leino. He isn't putting players in a position to succeed like he used to do. They offloaded Leopold who was likely their second best dman. He had a horrific problem in that he doesn't have an elite playmaker. His best were second and third tier. He gave way too much time to Gaustad who sucked the offense out of any line he was on with his lack of speed.
Regier's decisions personnel-wise have been suspect since they've loosened the purse strings. I agree Ruff hasn't used it too well. I don't expect Ruff or anyone of that type to really come here. If they wanted to go for it again, they might as well keep McLellan because none of the ones that are available are that much different that it would bring some element that this team is sorely lacking. They need a new direction as an organization as a whole.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:13 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

I want Clowe back...

As coach.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:19 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
I want Clowe back...

As coach.
What exactly were his responsibilities with the Bulls?

Old
05-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
What exactly were his responsibilities with the Bulls?
Cheerleader

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:24 AM
jeg2315

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
As someone said, hardly anyone matches Pop so that's not exactly a damning knock on Jackson. The fact remains that he had the team overachieve and play hard against the Spurs, even with significant injuries to Curry and Bogut.

But anyway, I just wonder if someone with more of an edge or focus on a defined mentality (not necessarily on the level of Tortorella or that style) would benefit the Sharks.

jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:28 AM
Felys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCondor View Post
Serious question, is AV a realistic option? Need-be we go another route?

Edit: I'm still on board for keeping TMac. Just a 'what if' and what fans think.
would you want the coach that got 4-0'd by TMac's supposed inferior coaching?

Felys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:29 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Outcoached you say? Popovich might be the best coach of all time
You simply can't blow a 16 point lead with 4 minutes to play, even if you are coaching against John Wooden.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:29 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg2315 View Post
As someone said, hardly anyone matches Pop so that's not exactly a damning knock on Jackson. The fact remains that he had the team overachieve and play hard against the Spurs, even with significant injuries to Curry and Bogut.

But anyway, I just wonder if someone with more of an edge or focus on a defined mentality (not necessarily on the level of Tortorella or that style) would benefit the Sharks.
Torts gives good press conferences but the Rangers are a mess

Old
05-29-2013, 12:43 AM
NWShark*

I don't know if coaching is the answer... depth was. 2 top 9 guys out. Irwin was a mess in game 7 and a few other games. For as deep as the sharks are on D it was mistake not to get Demers back in and playing somehow. Didn't Demers play in the previous game 7 against detroit?

Frankly considering how well the group played I would like to see it go another year before rebuilding. Fix the Havlat situation, sign Torres and maybe Gomez and give it another go. Nieto and maybe another young D on the back end and go again. Burish needs a kick in the nutz for that stupid penalty in a game 7 though.

If anything, I consider moving Pavs for either a good offensive defenman prospect or a younger fast forward. This lineup with TOrres and another top 6 scoring winger beats LA in 5 IMO and would have been a strong contender for the cup. You can all thank Shanaban for this series loss.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:46 AM
jeg2315

Quote:
He's simply an easy point of reference to illustrate the point, but I can see where people might assume that I am implying the extreme end of the spectrum.

We're approaching the end of an era with some guys, and I wonder if we would benefit from a new approach as well under players like Couture. It leaves me wondering how our staff and front office would manage such a transition, or even if they decide to squeeze everything possible out of Thornton and Marleau to the very end (which I don't agree with).

jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:48 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

The only viable coach replacement is laviolette. We're stuck with Koala despite how much everyone hates him (justified or not)

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Easy to forget that we couldn't ice a 3rd line of Wingels Pavelski Torres for this round. That would have made a huge difference. Our extra forward is Tim Kennedy. Kings have Trevor freaking Lewis. Things like THAT make a big difference, things out of Tmacs control

Edit
Sorry, meant Brad Richardson

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:50 AM
PlaywithGutz

Quote:
Yeeeeah, let's keep playing the 4th line with 6 minutes left to go in game 7 when we need a goal - a line that can't do **** on the score-sheet ...

Is this idiot's contract up, or does he really need to be fired? Can we just let him walk?

Fire DW while we're at it too ...
bingo....

PlaywithGutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:52 AM
PlaywithGutz

Quote:
Torts would make Patty marleau turtle for several years...btw, did patty play tonight??

PlaywithGutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:52 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Burns View Post
Easy to forget that we couldn't ice a 3rd line of Wingels Pavelski Torres for this round. That would have made a huge difference. Our extra forward is Tim Kennedy. Kings have Trevor freaking Lewis. Things like THAT make a big difference, things out of Tmacs control
But what is in his control is how to use what he has. No, he couldn't use Torres-Pavelski-Wingels but the third line was obviously not working as it was constructed. And it was obvious that Pavelski was not contributing much with Marleau and Couture. They could've put Sheppard or Gomez up there and dropped Pavelski down and at least had Pavelski either help shut down the top guys or play against weaker guys depending on what Sutter iced instead of going with a line that was doomed from the start.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:57 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaywithGutz View Post
Torts would make Patty marleau turtle for several years...btw, did patty play tonight??
Usually your gimmick is funny but I think our whole fanbase is too emotional right now for it.

Marleau was great all series.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:59 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Quote:
Yeeeeah, let's keep playing the 4th line with 6 minutes left to go in game 7 when we need a goal - a line that can't do **** on the score-sheet ...

Is this idiot's contract up, or does he really need to be fired? Can we just let him walk?

Fire DW while we're at it too ...
This is what I don't get. The 4th line got more time this game than game 6. Thornton had less than 20 mins icetime. The other big guns barely got over 20. Why the hell didn't he empty the tank? This should have been the game to let Boyle play 25+ and the forwards get 22 mins. Seriously rolling the 4th line 10 mins in game 7? Fraser and Toffoli only got 5 and 6 mins for the Kings.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:00 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
But what is in his control is how to use what he has. No, he couldn't use Torres-Pavelski-Wingels but the third line was obviously not working as it was constructed. And it was obvious that Pavelski was not contributing much with Marleau and Couture. They could've put Sheppard or Gomez up there and dropped Pavelski down and at least had Pavelski either help shut down the top guys or play against weaker guys depending on what Sutter iced instead of going with a line that was doomed from the start.
I'm just going to quote this from now on, cause you and I both were saying it before the game started, and it makes me really mad that I was right about the fact that my decisions were better than that of a head coach with obvious biases.