HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Fire Todd McLellan (Mod: Extended Per Dreger)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2013, 12:07 AM
  #101
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Did you actually think they were going to score?
Kearns came pretty close a couple of times and the D behind them could have picked up a rebound

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:07 AM
  #102
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Isn't that really only one season?
Stretch it out, I cut a number on either end. He fell off a bit after losing Briere and Drury. He has really fallen off over the last 3 seasons. I am not sure from whom it comes, Regier or Ruff or a combo of the two.

They pay Ehrhoff a load and put him on #2 PP in favor of Myers. Force Myers into the QB role (he should only be a trigger) and shutdown role (he should be middle pair/physical). Hasn't used his best playmakers on #1 PP. Guys like Ennis and Leino. He isn't putting players in a position to succeed like he used to do. They offloaded Leopold who was likely their second best dman. He had a horrific problem in that he doesn't have an elite playmaker. His best were second and third tier. He gave way too much time to Gaustad who sucked the offense out of any line he was on with his lack of speed.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:07 AM
  #103
Nighthock
**** the Kings...
 
Nighthock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 15,773
vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
The fourth line got some of the best chances
and how many did they bury?

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:07 AM
  #104
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC
 
ChompChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX (Ugh)
Country: United States
Posts: 8,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg2315 View Post
I wonder if Mark Jackson can coach hockey
It's funny you say this because Mark Jackson got badly outcoached against the Spurs. Look no further than Game 1 vs. Spurs.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:10 AM
  #105
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
and how many did they bury?
Desi was on when Boyle scored

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:10 AM
  #106
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Well, the focus isn't on hitting with this staff. While they're right that there are more important issues than hitting like puck management and defensive positioning, it's something that ought to be ingrained in their thought process and it isn't. I don't care if the team is on the losing end of the hit stat but there's no reason to not finish your check unless you see an opportunity to pick up a loose puck...especially on the fore-check.

Yes. The number of fly bys on the forecheck was disheartening. They hit more against the Canucks it seemed but that was probably because the hate them.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:11 AM
  #107
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
It's funny you say this because Mark Jackson got badly outcoached against the Spurs. Look no further than Game 1 vs. Spurs.
Outcoached you say? Popovich might be the best coach of all time

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:13 AM
  #108
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,281
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Stretch it out, I cut a number on either end. He fell off a bit after losing Briere and Drury. He has really fallen off over the last 3 seasons. I am not sure from whom it comes, Regier or Ruff or a combo of the two.

They pay Ehrhoff a load and put him on #2 PP in favor of Myers. Force Myers into the QB role (he should only be a trigger) and shutdown role (he should be middle pair/physical). Hasn't used his best playmakers on #1 PP. Guys like Ennis and Leino. He isn't putting players in a position to succeed like he used to do. They offloaded Leopold who was likely their second best dman. He had a horrific problem in that he doesn't have an elite playmaker. His best were second and third tier. He gave way too much time to Gaustad who sucked the offense out of any line he was on with his lack of speed.
Regier's decisions personnel-wise have been suspect since they've loosened the purse strings. I agree Ruff hasn't used it too well. I don't expect Ruff or anyone of that type to really come here. If they wanted to go for it again, they might as well keep McLellan because none of the ones that are available are that much different that it would bring some element that this team is sorely lacking. They need a new direction as an organization as a whole.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:13 AM
  #109
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,242
vCash: 500
I want Clowe back...

As coach.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:19 AM
  #110
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
I want Clowe back...

As coach.
What exactly were his responsibilities with the Bulls?

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:22 AM
  #111
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
What exactly were his responsibilities with the Bulls?
Cheerleader

__________________

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:24 AM
  #112
jeg2315
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
It's funny you say this because Mark Jackson got badly outcoached against the Spurs. Look no further than Game 1 vs. Spurs.
As someone said, hardly anyone matches Pop so that's not exactly a damning knock on Jackson. The fact remains that he had the team overachieve and play hard against the Spurs, even with significant injuries to Curry and Bogut.

But anyway, I just wonder if someone with more of an edge or focus on a defined mentality (not necessarily on the level of Tortorella or that style) would benefit the Sharks.

jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:28 AM
  #113
Felys
Registered User
 
Felys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCondor View Post
Serious question, is AV a realistic option? Need-be we go another route?

Edit: I'm still on board for keeping TMac. Just a 'what if' and what fans think.
would you want the coach that got 4-0'd by TMac's supposed inferior coaching?

Felys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:29 AM
  #114
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC
 
ChompChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX (Ugh)
Country: United States
Posts: 8,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Outcoached you say? Popovich might be the best coach of all time
You simply can't blow a 16 point lead with 4 minutes to play, even if you are coaching against John Wooden.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:29 AM
  #115
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg2315 View Post
As someone said, hardly anyone matches Pop so that's not exactly a damning knock on Jackson. The fact remains that he had the team overachieve and play hard against the Spurs, even with significant injuries to Curry and Bogut.

But anyway, I just wonder if someone with more of an edge or focus on a defined mentality (not necessarily on the level of Tortorella or that style) would benefit the Sharks.
Torts gives good press conferences but the Rangers are a mess

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:43 AM
  #116
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
I don't know if coaching is the answer... depth was. 2 top 9 guys out. Irwin was a mess in game 7 and a few other games. For as deep as the sharks are on D it was mistake not to get Demers back in and playing somehow. Didn't Demers play in the previous game 7 against detroit?

Frankly considering how well the group played I would like to see it go another year before rebuilding. Fix the Havlat situation, sign Torres and maybe Gomez and give it another go. Nieto and maybe another young D on the back end and go again. Burish needs a kick in the nutz for that stupid penalty in a game 7 though.

If anything, I consider moving Pavs for either a good offensive defenman prospect or a younger fast forward. This lineup with TOrres and another top 6 scoring winger beats LA in 5 IMO and would have been a strong contender for the cup. You can all thank Shanaban for this series loss.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:46 AM
  #117
jeg2315
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Torts gives good press conferences but the Rangers are a mess
He's simply an easy point of reference to illustrate the point, but I can see where people might assume that I am implying the extreme end of the spectrum.

We're approaching the end of an era with some guys, and I wonder if we would benefit from a new approach as well under players like Couture. It leaves me wondering how our staff and front office would manage such a transition, or even if they decide to squeeze everything possible out of Thornton and Marleau to the very end (which I don't agree with).

jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:48 AM
  #118
RainbowDash
20% Cooler
 
RainbowDash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Equestria
Posts: 2,008
vCash: 500
The only viable coach replacement is laviolette. We're stuck with Koala despite how much everyone hates him (justified or not)

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:50 AM
  #119
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ
 
Brent Burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Coming in hot
Posts: 6,533
vCash: 500
Easy to forget that we couldn't ice a 3rd line of Wingels Pavelski Torres for this round. That would have made a huge difference. Our extra forward is Tim Kennedy. Kings have Trevor freaking Lewis. Things like THAT make a big difference, things out of Tmacs control

Edit
Sorry, meant Brad Richardson

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:50 AM
  #120
PlaywithGutz
Registered User
 
PlaywithGutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Yeeeeah, let's keep playing the 4th line with 6 minutes left to go in game 7 when we need a goal - a line that can't do **** on the score-sheet ...

Is this idiot's contract up, or does he really need to be fired? Can we just let him walk?

Fire DW while we're at it too ...
bingo....

PlaywithGutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:52 AM
  #121
PlaywithGutz
Registered User
 
PlaywithGutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Torts gives good press conferences but the Rangers are a mess
Torts would make Patty marleau turtle for several years...btw, did patty play tonight??

PlaywithGutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:52 AM
  #122
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,281
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Burns View Post
Easy to forget that we couldn't ice a 3rd line of Wingels Pavelski Torres for this round. That would have made a huge difference. Our extra forward is Tim Kennedy. Kings have Trevor freaking Lewis. Things like THAT make a big difference, things out of Tmacs control
But what is in his control is how to use what he has. No, he couldn't use Torres-Pavelski-Wingels but the third line was obviously not working as it was constructed. And it was obvious that Pavelski was not contributing much with Marleau and Couture. They could've put Sheppard or Gomez up there and dropped Pavelski down and at least had Pavelski either help shut down the top guys or play against weaker guys depending on what Sutter iced instead of going with a line that was doomed from the start.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:57 AM
  #123
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaywithGutz View Post
Torts would make Patty marleau turtle for several years...btw, did patty play tonight??
Usually your gimmick is funny but I think our whole fanbase is too emotional right now for it.

Marleau was great all series.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:59 AM
  #124
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!
 
Negatively Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,813
vCash: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Yeeeeah, let's keep playing the 4th line with 6 minutes left to go in game 7 when we need a goal - a line that can't do **** on the score-sheet ...

Is this idiot's contract up, or does he really need to be fired? Can we just let him walk?

Fire DW while we're at it too ...
This is what I don't get. The 4th line got more time this game than game 6. Thornton had less than 20 mins icetime. The other big guns barely got over 20. Why the hell didn't he empty the tank? This should have been the game to let Boyle play 25+ and the forwards get 22 mins. Seriously rolling the 4th line 10 mins in game 7? Fraser and Toffoli only got 5 and 6 mins for the Kings.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:00 AM
  #125
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
But what is in his control is how to use what he has. No, he couldn't use Torres-Pavelski-Wingels but the third line was obviously not working as it was constructed. And it was obvious that Pavelski was not contributing much with Marleau and Couture. They could've put Sheppard or Gomez up there and dropped Pavelski down and at least had Pavelski either help shut down the top guys or play against weaker guys depending on what Sutter iced instead of going with a line that was doomed from the start.
I'm just going to quote this from now on, cause you and I both were saying it before the game started, and it makes me really mad that I was right about the fact that my decisions were better than that of a head coach with obvious biases.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.