HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2013, 11:14 PM
doubledown99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I think the biggest thing that scares Oiler fans is management's assessment of Lindholm. MacT has given the name of his apparent top 3 centres and we haven't heard anything on the Lindholm front.

Personally I would love for us to take Lindholm, let him score 70 points and rub it in the flames faces.
There was also Stu never mentioning him when discussing the top players with Stauffer and Gregor. Then Stauffer tweeted who he thought were the top C - Mack/Barkov/Monahan/Horvat/Lazar/Lindholm. Then MacT has his conference call and says he likes Mac/Barkov/Monahan. Just to many signs there....

And if you listen to Stauffer he isn't big on Nich either....

Just some things to consider

Old
05-28-2013, 11:25 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
There was also Stu never mentioning him when discussing the top players with Stauffer and Gregor. Then Stauffer tweeted who he thought were the top C - Mack/Barkov/Monahan/Horvat/Lazar/Lindholm. Then MacT has his conference call and says he likes Mac/Barkov/Monahan. Just to many signs there....

Smokescreens, subterfuge and innuendo.

Just like last year when everyone was SO sure the Oilers would pick Murray and then they did the obvious and logical thing and chose Yak (thank God).

I'll wait until they say the name at the podium to believe they aren't interested in player X or Y.

It's all fun to speculate and guess but obviously no one (outside of management) has the exact list of who they like the most.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:26 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post

Stauffer has admitted to watching diddly squat when it comes to prospects saying he's too busy with NHLers. He also has a proven track record of getting his inside info wrong when it comes to the draft (ala Seguin and Murray). I'm not going to put any merit into what he says. Obviously he's gonna hate on the Swede and the Russian. He's pretty much just guessing and hope he gets it right.

On a side note, it was kind of funny today when Bob asked Kyle Woodlief leading questions about how the draft today. He tried to get Woodlief to say that Lindholm wasnt physically mature enough to play in the NHL but it didn't really work.

I thought it was interesting today how the team 1260 had Steve Serdnachy on today and he was talking about how Sweden is leagues ahead of Canadians of Canadians in terms of giving and taking passes. I'd love to see him on bobs show sometime.

Last edited by DousedInOil: 05-28-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old
05-28-2013, 11:35 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Aren't we pretty much guaranteed one of Lindholm/Monahan now?

Not sure what the problem is in that case, you just pick which ever one Calgary doesn't take.

If Nichushkin falls out of the top 6, then you take him.
Calgary's going off the board, and will pick some kid for Midget AA from northern Quebec. Isn't that what happened last year?

Old
05-28-2013, 11:46 PM
GrandLarseny
Off to the KHL

vCash: 50
I still maintain that if Lindholm is there you take him. I like Horvat/Lazar but I don't pass on Lindholm. Obviously would like to trade up for Barkov though.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Lindo

I think the thing about the Getzlaf pick was he was picked 19th. There seems to be notably better prospects at #7, and in my opinion, would be foolish to pass on them.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:11 AM
topchowda

Lindholm sort of reminds me of Couture

Old
05-29-2013, 12:16 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Lindholm sort of reminds me of Couture
Funny because I've seen people compare Monahan to him as well. I don't think either player has the sniping ability of Couture, but both are likely better playmakers.

I'd still rather have Monahan in a division where speed/skill isn't enough to win. You need size and physicality in combination with it.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:40 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
I think the thing about the Getzlaf pick was he was picked 19th. There seems to be notably better prospects at #7, and in my opinion, would be foolish to pass on them.
Better than Ryan Getzlaf? Really. Like who for instance?

Old
05-29-2013, 12:40 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Horvat doesnt seem to be that physical. I dont know if he even hit anyone in the Memorial Cup. I would rather have Lazar tbh. He hits something every shift.
Same here. If you're going to pass on BPA, and draft for need, at least take the right guy

05-29-2013, 01:04 AM
Lindo

Quote:
Better than Ryan Getzlaf? Really. Like who for instance?
I mean in regards to Lazar/Horvat. I wouldn't pick Lazar or Horvat at #7 when there might be Lindholm/Nurse/Ristolainen. Right now, they look like the better prospects, and I hope EDM management agrees.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:08 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I mean in regards to Lazar/Horvat. I wouldn't pick Lazar or Horvat at #7 when there might be Lindholm/Nurse/Ristolainen. Right now, they look like the better prospects, and I hope EDM management agrees.
In what way?

Old
05-29-2013, 01:22 AM
Lindo

Quote:
In what way?
Lindholm/Nurse/Ristolainen all seem to project as potential #1C/D's, where Lazar/Horvat are no doubt solid prospects, but at the moment don't seem like they have as high end potential. Most scouts and mock drafts written up would tend to agree.

I think Edmonton really can't go wrong this draft, either way they're going to get a high end prospect that will simultaneously fill a need, but if those prospects are still on the board I don't think they can pass on them for the rumored Lazar or Horvat.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:23 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
In what way?
If people knew how well Getzlaf would turn out, he would've been a top 5 pick. I think OP means Getzlaf at the time of the draft, and Lazar right now

Old
05-29-2013, 01:24 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
If a team selects a center who can't even score PPG in junior 7th overall. Then they've certainly wasted the pick.
These are one centre's stats from his draft year in junior:

68-28-40-68-69

He went 2nd overall.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:25 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I like the idea of trading out pick in a big time splash, then trading for Lazar who will perhaps fall to 15... However, don't take him at #7, that would just be stupid.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:27 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post

68-28-40-68-69

He went 2nd overall.
I'll bite, who the hell was this?

Old
05-29-2013, 01:28 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post

68-28-40-68-69

He went 2nd overall.
And #6 went....

58-44-72-116

What was that team thinking? Passing on the bpa like that?

Old
05-29-2013, 01:35 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Lindholm/Nurse/Ristolainen all seem to project as potential #1C/D's, where Lazar/Horvat are no doubt solid prospects, but at the moment don't seem like they have as high end potential. Most scouts and mock drafts written up would tend to agree.

I think Edmonton really can't go wrong this draft, either way they're going to get a high end prospect that will simultaneously fill a need, but if those prospects are still on the board I don't think they can pass on them for the rumored Lazar or Horvat.
I wouldnt put too much stock into what other people say. I would encourage you to watch (if possible) instead of reading what others think, many of whom arent watching themselves but are just regurgitating what they have read someone else say, and so on, and so on, like a big goofy telephone game.

Horvat and Lazar bring different attributes to the table than say Shinkaruk or Domi. Shinkaruk and Domi have higher point totals than Lazar and Horvat. Does that mean they are bpa? Not according to some people. Those who watch them. Some teams may put a higher value on the more offensive players. Others may value the two way player more.

It depends on what they are looking for, and what kind of depth they have in their system. This is where the bpa argument starts to crumble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
If people knew how well Getzlaf would turn out, he would've been a top 5 pick. I think OP means Getzlaf at the time of the draft, and Lazar right now
My point exactly. Junior numbers dont always translate into nhl success. See Rob Schremp, or even Sam Gagner for that matter. Lots of points doesnt always mean the bpa.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:47 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

When a 6'4 C is near point/game but doesn't seem to have grown into his body yet (Getzlaf in 2003), teams don't treat them the same as 6' players at point/game paces. There was a lot of questions around draft time regarding whether or not he would be able to skate at an NHL level.

Another reason why Getzlaf fell back in 2003 was apparent attitude issues and rumors of him being a locker room cancer. IIRC ISS had him at #10 in their final rankings.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:49 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
My point exactly. Junior numbers dont always translate into nhl success. See Rob Schremp, or even Sam Gagner for that matter. Lots of points doesnt always mean the bpa.
Oh for sure. I know we don't see eye to eye as far as Lazar's top potential is concerned, but that's exactly why I'd be a hell of a lot happier if we draft Lazar than Shinkaruk

Old
05-29-2013, 01:51 AM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Quote:
And #6 went....

58-44-72-116

What was that team thinking? Passing on the bpa like that?
Jordan Staal and Brassard?

Old
05-29-2013, 01:53 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Oh for sure. I know we don't see eye to eye as far as Lazar's top potential is concerned, but that's exactly why I'd be a hell of a lot happier if we draft Lazar than Shinkaruk
Same. And I've been lighting Lazar up for days on this board. At the end of the day I feel he'll have a role to play in the NHL - be it 2nd/3rd line. Shinkarunk is a tweener for me. A Pierre-Marc Bouchard type of player.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:42 AM
dnicks17

1k.

New thread here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1437709

Closed Thread