HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Likes and dislikes from players

Old
10-05-2006, 12:49 PM
x-bob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBombay View Post
For plekanec, He only played one season as a 3rd liner in the nhl and you criticize him for lack of offensive production?!? calm down with the young players, let them develop

Niinima... The guy didnt play one game so far with the team and some of you are already lynching him... Good Job!

Welcome to the team Niinima, you suck!
well it doesn't change the fact that Niinima still played in the NHL! It's not like his game will change so much if he comes here!

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:06 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by habgab View Post
I don't think "Newfies" are a tad sensitive. I don't think it is funny that you would even jokingly dislike someone because of where they are from. Mentioning Begin's bald spot or Souray's hair is hardly like suggesting that where someone is from is reason to dislike them. It is racist - not unlike saying, for example, that you dislike Begin because he is a frog or a black person because he is a ******. These types of comments, made jokingly or not, are just unacceptable in today's society, and that fact that you don't know that is shameful.

And, despite the apparent misconception, Newfoundlanders aren't all about booze and fish, and to think that is again, in my opinion, shameful. I might think, based on some of the comments I read here, that everyone outside Newfoundland is an ignorant *******. However, simply because some of you are, does not mean that I should apply that broad stroke to the sensible, politically correct people who write their various opinions on these boards.

My message - grow up and try to show some sensitivity to people who are, thankfully, not exactly like you.
You sure are wound up for a drunk fisherman...

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Shred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
You sure are wound up for a drunk fisherman...
You are quite obviously an idiot. If you had read his previous posts / essays, you would know that in today's modern and open-minded society, jokes aimed at our 'nationality' are not funny at all.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:33 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyhiraeth View Post
You are quite obviously an idiot. If you had read his previous posts / essays, you would know that in today's modern and open-minded society, jokes aimed at our 'nationality' are not funny at all.

Your right. But I have an excuse, I'm Lebanese, we are all insensitive jerks at heart.

Old
10-05-2006, 03:36 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Your right. But I have an excuse, I'm Lebanese, we are all insensitive jerks at heart.
Yeah when you're not helping old people across the street (mcphee & Gros Bill) or reading bed time stories to sick children (Ice Cold) or "tending" your flock (clover), you're a real jerk.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
...I, being a Newfoundlander, enjoy a good joke and funny material probably better than most of you...
LOL...I don't know...based on what I've read in this thread, I beg to differ.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:45 PM
GoneAway

vCash:

Last edited by GoneAway: 10-05-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old
10-05-2006, 03:53 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
In return, wouldnt you think that such jokes in today's OPEN MINDED society would be more accepted with all the cultural melting pots being formed? We all make fun of our differences. Words are one thing but I think the greater importance here is the context in which these words are presented.

Don't you think that in today's open minded society people would be more able to lighten up?

PS I find it freakin hilarious that you're calling AymanD an idiot....extremely hilarious and groundless
Thanks, though I'm pretty sure he was kidding. Unless I just completely misunderestimated his post. That would mean I'm slow.

Oh yeah, and where were we.

Kovalev
Like: His style
Dislike: His attitude

Markov
Like: His playing skills
Dislike: His communication skills

Latendresse
Like: His size
Dislike: The way the media is treating him

Koivu
Like: His leadership
Dislike: His fragility

Old
10-05-2006, 04:07 PM
LePoche69

Koivu
Like: Courage, leadership.
Dislike: the fact that things have been lost in injuries

Higgins:
Like: The general way he plays hockey
Dislike: the fact that his skills + what I wrote higher aren't enough to make him the best player in the NHL...

Ryder:
Like: shot, scoring skill
Dislike: General skills level in other aspect of the game

Samsonov
Like: high reel goals
Dislike: Too much ballet, not enough hockey

Plekanec
Like: The fact that he's not at his peak yet
Dislike : The fact that he's not at his peak yet

Kovalev
Like: To good Kovalev
Dislike: The bad Kovalev
(everybody know what we're talking about here)

Perezhogin
Like: His upside
dislike: The chances he'll reach his upside

Bonk
Like: His size and his PK play
dislike: The fact that what's higher are the only aspects I like

Johnson:
Like: Don't know yet
Dislike: Don't know yet

Murray:
Like: His grit
Dislike: His general talent

Begin
Like: Intensity, dedication, determination, courage
Dislike: His crazyness in the way what's higher lead him to injuries too often.

Latendresse:
Like: Don't know yet
dislike: His age considering the attention the medias give him allready

Souray:
Like: his general toughness, his shot
dislike: His inaccuracy, his pilone tendency

Markov:
Like: His talent, his vision
Dislike: Not much

Komisarek:
Like: His upside and the fact that he's getting closer to it
dislike: Lack of offensive talent

Rivet:
Like: His general game
Dislike: His general game
(Sounds strange, I know, but I found that funny how true it is in the way I consider him)

Dandenault:
Like: His experience and his "honnesty" in the way he plays the game (hard to explain)
Dislike: His limits. A lot to be desire.

Streit:
Like: Not much
Dislike: Not much

Huet:
Like: His calm and his first saves
Dislike: Too slow to recover after a rebound -- rely too much on reflexes to stop the second and third shots.

Aebischer:
Like: Not much. His reflexes?
Dislike: Too much out of position after a save.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 04:08 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Latendresse
Like: His size
Dislike: The way the media is treating him
Koivu
Like: His leadership
Dislike: His fragility
I completely agree with this. The media, especially francophone, over-rate Latendresse too much.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 04:13 PM
loveblood20

Quote:
I, being a Newfoundlander, enjoy a good joke and funny material probably better than most of you. I do not, however, see anything funny in using stereotypes as a form of joke.
If you weren't so arrogant maybe we wouldn't make fun of you.

The way i see it, you just want to pick a fight for a stupid thing has this. I agree, racism and jokes about that are not acceptable, but you are not a freaking race and if you can take jokes better than us than I am the king of the world.

loveblood20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 04:52 PM
habgab

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveblood20 View Post
If you weren't so arrogant maybe we wouldn't make fun of you.

The way i see it, you just want to pick a fight for a stupid thing has this. I agree, racism and jokes about that are not acceptable, but you are not a freaking race and if you can take jokes better than us than I am the king of the world.
Arrogant? You think Newfoundlanders are arrogant? Let me get this straight - you make fun of Newfoundlanders because they are arrogant? Or, are you making fun of me because I am arrogant? Either way, what is your definition of arrogant - defending Newfoundland and Newfoundlanders because I am one? Is that it? Explain it to me like, let's see, I am a stupid Newfie - because that is what you think.

I do not come to these boards to pick a fight. I came to the boards to see what was being discussed, and was quite frankly astonished by the contents of this particular thread. Identifying a particular group of people and making that group the brunt of jokes is racist. Negros are not a race per se (as a black person may be British, Canadian, American etc), yet the time for making stereotypical jokes about black people has long since past. Kindly explain to me the difference.

habgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 04:53 PM
habgab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
LOL...I don't know...based on what I've read in this thread, I beg to differ.
Please explain to me where the joke was on this particular thread so that I too can enjoy the laugh.

habgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Look, I do not think I am going overboard or need to lighten up. I appreciate that you, being from Winnipeg, may be the brunt of jokes. I, personally, have no real pre-conceived notions about Winnipeg. It may have been an attempt at a joke, but that is just it - it is not funny and whoever said it should be aware that it is no longer acceptable.
Wait a second, since when are stereotypes no longer acceptable?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Shred

Quote:
Arrogant? You think Newfoundlanders are arrogant? Let me get this straight - you make fun of Newfoundlanders because they are arrogant? Or, are you making fun of me because I am arrogant?
He stated that YOU were arrogant. Nowhere did he imply that this was because of, or in any way related to the place you may be coming from. By the way, he is right.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Arrogant? You think Newfoundlanders are arrogant? Let me get this straight - you make fun of Newfoundlanders because they are arrogant? Or, are you making fun of me because I am arrogant? Either way, what is your definition of arrogant - defending Newfoundland and Newfoundlanders because I am one? Is that it? Explain it to me like, let's see, I am a stupid Newfie - because that is what you think.

I do not come to these boards to pick a fight. I came to the boards to see what was being discussed, and was quite frankly astonished by the contents of this particular thread. Identifying a particular group of people and making that group the brunt of jokes is racist. Negros are not a race per se (as a black person may be British, Canadian, American etc), yet the time for making stereotypical jokes about black people has long since past. Kindly explain to me the difference.

The day we stop making stereotypical jokes about people is the day there will be hell on earth. I believe these jokes are necessary--they alleviate tension and, contrary to popular belief, more often bring people together than drive them apart. In my experience, most people in an ethnically diverse group derive a great deal of pleasure from "making fun" of their differences. Invariably, however, there is always one sensitive bonehead that cries "racism" and ruins everyones fun. Just my two-bits worth on the subject.

Now, we're all freakin Habs fans. At the very least, if we must quarrel, let's do so by disparaging the players and fans of other teams rather than each other.

Go Habs Go!

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Please explain to me where the joke was on this particular thread so that I too can enjoy the laugh.
LOL...stop...please!

Man you're dense. (DISCLAIMER: When I say "you", I mean you and only you, not Newfoundlanders as a whole. I love Newfoundland. Thank you.)

FFS, nobody here is being serious other than you...here's my explanation for you: you voiced your opinion on the matter, fair enough, but it's somewhat idiotic and hypocritical for you to claim Newfoundlanders have a better sense of humor than Non-Newfoundlanders when you're making such a big stink over an innocent joke. The guy said he was sorry and didn't mean anything by it. Newfoundlanders may very well have a better sense of humor, but you sure don't do anything prove that theory!!!

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 09:29 PM
felixd

Ok I'd like to apologize to the thread starter and the mods for bringing this thread waaaaay off-topic with a joke (that I thought was inoffensive at first).

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I completely agree with this. The media, especially francophone, over-rate Latendresse too much.
A player doesn't choose to be a media darling...therefore, it can't be something to dislike of him.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
A player doesn't choose to be a media darling...therefore, it can't be something to dislike of him.
Agreed. Latendresse has not been obnoxious, so it's unfair to dislike him just because he receives the media's enthusiastic plaudits. At that, no one has gone as far overboard as Pedneault, who compared Ribeiro to Gretzky in 2003. Let's give this kid a break. He could be a star by age 21 or 22.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 11:52 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
Ok I'd like to apologize to the thread starter and the mods for bringing this thread waaaaay off-topic with a joke (that I thought was inoffensive at first).
relax man , i'm from newfoundland , i read your post , i got your joke , i laughed because it was funny and then i moved on
. BTW i thought your description of samsonov was funny too , wonder why nobody jumped to his defence ???

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 07:15 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
relax man , i'm from newfoundland , i read your post , i got your joke , i laughed because it was funny and then i moved on
. BTW i thought your description of samsonov was funny too , wonder why nobody jumped to his defence ???
Guess there aren't too many gnome lawn ornaments that read this board. Or maybe they can take a joke.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 02:56 PM
PERPETUALSMILEZ

Quote:
Look, I do not think I am going overboard or need to lighten up. I appreciate that you, being from Winnipeg, may be the brunt of jokes. I, personally, have no real pre-conceived notions about Winnipeg. It may have been an attempt at a joke, but that is just it - it is not funny and whoever said it should be aware that it is no longer acceptable.

I, being a Newfoundlander, enjoy a good joke and funny material probably better than most of you. I do not, however, see anything funny in using stereotypes as a form of joke.

Wow.....I'm new to the boards and have been on here a lot in the last couple of days....obviously trying to wait patiently for the first game (GO HABS GO ) But have really noticed that some people here take things WAY to personally!!!! Not everybody is going to have the same opinions and you're just going to have to take it for what its worth. I have some family in NL and they think Newfie jokes are hilarious.....guess just have to have a good sense of humor

PERPETUALSMILEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 03:15 PM
PERPETUALSMILEZ

As for my likes and dislikes....pretty much agree overall with everybody except for Koivu

he has a lot of heart
but sometimes floats around the ice, can definatly be a puck hog, takes the stupidest hooking penalties -sometimes they're so obvious that he makes it look like he was just too lazy to skate so he leeched on to opp team (in which they usually score on the powerplay). Lacks leadership.....shouldn't a good leader of a team have his team playing good whether he's on or off the ice??

just my opinion

PERPETUALSMILEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERPETUALSMILEZ View Post
As for my likes and dislikes....pretty much agree overall with everybody except for Koivu

he has a lot of heart
but sometimes floats around the ice, can definatly be a puck hog, takes the stupidest hooking penalties -sometimes they're so obvious that he makes it look like he was just too lazy to skate so he leeched on to opp team (in which they usually score on the powerplay). Lacks leadership.....shouldn't a good leader of a team have his team playing good whether he's on or off the ice??

just my opinion
You're right that occasionally Koivu watches the play. But I think that's true for all skilled players, to be honest. And all skilled players get criticized for it at some point.

I don't see Koivu as a puckhog.

I do agree Koivu takes selfish and occasionally lazy penalties.

I think your idea of leadership and its effect is entirely warped, but that's the case with the vast majority of posters on this forum.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote