HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Fire Todd McLellan (Mod: Extended Per Dreger)

Old
05-29-2013, 01:06 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowDash View Post
The only viable coach replacement is laviolette. We're stuck with Koala despite how much everyone hates him (justified or not)
Yeah, I thought we were all just waiting for Philly to fire Lavi?

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:06 AM
murdock1116

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
I'm just going to quote this from now on, cause you and I both were saying it before the game started, and it makes me really mad that I was right about the fact that my decisions were better than that of a head coach with obvious biases.
I was also clamoring for this in the GDT after game six.

One of the big adjustments that LA made this series was swapping Dustin Brown on the third line with Clifford.

That really sparked some depth play for them and made the 3rd line destroy ours.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:09 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Yeah, I thought we were all just waiting for Philly to fire Lavi?
We are, but with this organization and how they do things. Who knows if they're smart enough to jump all over it if the opportunity to hire him arises.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:38 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

I want Peter Laviolette too.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:41 AM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
I want Peter Laviolette too.
If nothing else, it'd make for entertaining hockey.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:44 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
If nothing else, it'd make for entertaining hockey.
He'd probably punch Marleau in the back of the head and say this is what you get for letting McLellan get hit in the head last year, eyebrows!

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 06:39 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Usually your gimmick is funny but I think our whole fanbase is too emotional right now for it.

Marleau was great all series.
Great is probably not the word you meant to use here. Not bashing Marleau but he certainly wasn't great. We don't pay 7 mil players for their shutdown ability. In series this tight they needed more from him. Assists, hitting... I understand goals dry up but the sharks needed more than great defense.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 06:43 AM
NWShark*

One glaring issue for the Tmac strategy IMO that hasn't been discussed from this perspective... Since the Sharks pitched a no hitter for the most part, LA just got thru the least physical 7 game series I think I've ever seen. Pretty much no wear and tear on them other than the Stoll injury. THey should walk thru the remaining teams to their second cup because the other teams have played in way more physical games so far...

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 06:51 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
One glaring issue for the Tmac strategy IMO that hasn't been discussed from this perspective... Since the Sharks pitched a no hitter for the most part, LA just got thru the least physical 7 game series I think I've ever seen. Pretty much no wear and tear on them other than the Stoll injury. THey should walk thru the remaining teams to their second cup because the other teams have played in way more physical games so far...
The Sharks have been WAY more physical than the Hawks, Wings or Pens so far.

05-29-2013, 08:30 AM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

Why not hold the sacred cow accountable for once?

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:53 AM
rogie

Sorry for not reading the entire thread.

I think the Lindy Ruff days are over and by that I mean, I don't think a team can continue on with a coach as long as the Sharks have without getting closer to the cup than they have; even if he is a good coach and it's not his fault.

rogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 09:30 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

The team scored at a 1.0 GPG rate. Marleau had 1/7 of the team's goals. He's paid 1/9 of the cap.

Jesus, there's a ton of scapegoats, I honestly don't get how Marleau can be one.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:32 AM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIFBB View Post
Why not hold the sacred cow accountable for once?
Yeah, the fact that no one is willing to blame Couture for not scoring a single ****ing even strength goal is ridiculous.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:37 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

Quote:
The team scored at a 1.0 GPG rate. Marleau had 1/7 of the team's goals. He's paid 1/9 of the cap.

Jesus, there's a ton of scapegoats, I honestly don't get how Marleau can be one.
He should be the leading goalscorer every year. When a team doesn't score, that's who you blame. Blame Patty and Joe. These are the two guys that are paid the most to get pucks in net. Joe sets em up, Patty puts em in. Neither could.

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 09:40 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yeah, the fact that no one is willing to blame Couture for not scoring a single ****ing even strength goal is ridiculous.
He wasn't very good throughout the playoffs, though he was clearly injured.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:41 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
He should be the leading goalscorer every year. When a team doesn't score, that's who you blame. Blame Patty and Joe. These are the two guys that are paid the most to get pucks in net. Joe sets em up, Patty puts em in. Neither could.
You could blame the scoring depth, which McLellan could have fixed with Pavelski on line 3

Old
05-29-2013, 09:41 AM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Nope. It's Couture's team. That's what everyone says. Blame him for scoring 3 even strength points all postseason, all assists.

Do you realize how moronic blaming Marleau is? (As a general statement, not specifically you). He upped his goal pace from the regular season. He lead the team in goals and even strength goals. He played elite level defense.

But yeah, totally his fault. Not at all Couture's, who played wonderfully and did everything right.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:01 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

Sure we can blame Logan, too. As my other post said, he wasn't good, but he was on a sprained ankle the last 5 games.

Marleau was great against the Canucks, one of the best series I've ever seen him play. He was not good against the Kings. Averaged only 2 shots on goal the last 4 games. Can't score when you don't shoot.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

This season we were not expected to go very deep at all. I am very surprised and happy at how far we made it, pushing the champs to a game 7. I hope TMAC and this staff get another chance next year. Who knows, maybe we'll be less expected to succeed and make it all the way.

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Sure we can blame Logan, too. As my other post said, he wasn't good, but he was on a sprained ankle the last 5 games.

Marleau was great against the Canucks, one of the best series I've ever seen him play. He was not good against the Kings. Averaged only 2 shots on goal the last 4 games. Can't score when you don't shoot.
And who was getting him the pucks to shoot in good areas? As you said, Couture wasn't playing well. Torres on their line wasn't working out. Pavelski wasn't contributing anything to that line either. That line wasn't set up for offensive production once Havlat got hurt. They did what they could but a good defensive team like the Kings was going to snuff out a line that had no good play-makers on it.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:12 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
And who was getting him the pucks to shoot in good areas? As you said, Couture wasn't playing well. Torres on their line wasn't working out. Pavelski wasn't contributing anything to that line either. That line wasn't set up for offensive production once Havlat got hurt. They did what they could but a good defensive team like the Kings was going to snuff out a line that had no good play-makers on it.
So we can't call out Marleau or Couture for that reason, ok.

We can't call out Joe because he had no finishers.

So everything has to be DW's fault.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:14 AM
OrrNumber4

We should definitely be able to agree that the third and fourth lines could not get things done. True, part of this was due to injuries and the suspension, but ultimately, players like Galiardi, Sheppard, Wingels, and Gomez didn't really deliver in the post-season. Sheppard was quiet all year, and even Galiardi only finished strong.

The question is, do you blame DW/TMac for overrating those players capabilities, or do you blame the players themselves for not playing to their talent level?

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:16 AM
murdock1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
We should definitely be able to agree that the third and fourth lines could not get things done. True, part of this was due to injuries and the suspension, but ultimately, players like Galiardi, Sheppard, Wingels, and Gomez didn't really deliver in the post-season. Sheppard was quiet all year, and even Galiardi only finished strong.

The question is, do you blame DW/TMac for overrating those players capabilities, or do you blame the players themselves for not playing to their talent level?
I blame Tmac for not putting our players in the best position to succeed. Albeit injuries and suspensions hurt us, his line combinations were not optimal.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:17 AM
murdock1116

Anyone blaming Marleau or Thornton needs to watch this video. You're basically acting like Skip Bayless.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
So we can't call out Marleau or Couture for that reason, ok.

We can't call out Joe because he had no finishers.

So everything has to be DW's fault.
Or...it was not really anybody's fault and they just lost to a team that, by their own admission, thought we were just as good as them.

There were a lot...A LOT...of reasons and things we can point to that could've changed the result of the series just because it was that close. Pinning it on one individual doesn't make much sense in a situation like that.

The players left it all on the ice. If they do that, I'm okay with their performance and that includes guys like Pavs and Couture who didn't produce much of anything.

Personally, my issue with the organization is their culture of veteran preference, lack of being proactive, and inability to consistently help younger players along. That was true prior to these playoffs though and that hasn't changed even though they finally recognized what their problems were this year. However, they've done this before and decided to go back to big, veteran leaders anyway.