HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 7/3) *Part IV*

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Pizza

vCash: 500
I put McIlrath on about the same time line as Mike Sauer as far as being NHL ready. Up, downs, injuries all come into play here. As a Rangers fan you get a bit spoiled when guys like McD & Girardi seemingly show up out of no where to join a player like Staal on the back line.

McIlrath will be fine and he is exactly what this organization needs more of. Hopefully that other monster in the Q pans out as well. The Rangers could certainly have used two guys like that in the Boston series.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:53 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I put McIlrath on about the same time line as Mike Sauer as far as being NHL ready. Up, downs, injuries all come into play here. As a Rangers fan you get a bit spoiled when guys like McD & Girardi seemingly show up out of no where to join a player like Staal on the back line.

McIlrath will be fine and he is exactly what this organization needs more of. Hopefully that other monster in the Q pans out as well. The Rangers could certainly have used two guys like that in the Boston series.
McDonagh did not play in the NHL until 3.5 years after being drafted. Girardi was much older as well as he was an undrafted FA.

McIlrath is 3 years away from his draft year. Even if he spends another half season in the AHL, that put him making the NHL at the same time as McDonagh.

I don't understand why people, not necessarily you Pizza, think this is taking too long. He's a defenseman.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:17 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
McDonagh did not play in the NHL until 3.5 years after being drafted. Girardi was much older as well as he was an undrafted FA.

McIlrath is 3 years away from his draft year. Even if he spends another half season in the AHL, that put him making the NHL at the same time as McDonagh.

I don't understand why people, not necessarily you Pizza, think this is taking too long. He's a defenseman.
why are you surprised? every day we have people talking about dmen being a bust at 21 or 22 years of age. never mind the fact that they take longer to develop...if they aren't all stars right out of the gate they should be traded for a bag of pucks. lol

Old
05-28-2013, 12:48 PM
end2endrush

not that we can change anything now, nor did we know back then, but we did pass up fowler, gormley, beau bennett, tinordi, coyle and emerson etem in that 2010 draft. you guys all really think mcilrath was the right pick there? i think we couldve snagged a better player there. i really hope we somehow grab a 1st round pick this year, alot of talent

Old
05-28-2013, 01:02 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by end2endrush View Post
not that we can change anything now, nor did we know back then, but we did pass up fowler, gormley, beau bennett, tinordi, coyle and emerson etem in that 2010 draft. you guys all really think mcilrath was the right pick there? i think we couldve snagged a better player there. i really hope we somehow grab a 1st round pick this year, alot of talent
Fowler is a train wreck in his own zone and he has lost all of his confidence because of it.

Bennett is nothing special. He is riding the coat tails of Crosby and Malkin.

Tinordi looks like a decent pick. Not the most mobile kid.

Coyle looks like a steal.

Gormley has proven what exactly?

I love Etem, but I would have been VERY pissed had the Rangers taken him at 10 in his draft year. He was the last pick in that 1st round....

I am very high on McIlrath, as many people know. His skill set is SO hard to find nowadays and while he may not put up a ton of points, he will effect games and playoff series in different ways. He exemplifies exactly what I want this team to become moving forward and I think he does for Gorton as well. Hard-nosed, take no prisoners, we will beat you on the scoreboard and beat you up while doing it.

The players you mentioned above do not bring that and before you say they could have gotten that later in the draft the odds of finding it are not very high.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by end2endrush View Post
You really can't make that call until you know what you have in McIlrath. If he ends up as Shane O'Brien, then yeah, it wasn't the right pick. However, if he ends up as a ultra-nasty Dan Girardi, then you have to be very pleased with that regardless of how he stacks up against guys we passed on.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

McIlrath is a fairly unique talent in that he's big, tough and skates well. I know I said repeatedly he should improve his skating, but that doesn't detract from the fact that he has very good speed and it is only his short step skating that needs work. Short step skating is fixable, whereas speed isn't something you can create.

I see no reason why he can't be another Beukeboom, potentially a faster, tougher version of Beuk.

In Hartford, you could actually see fewer runs into the goalies after he joined the team mid-season. Everyone and his mother was just charging at Talbot, as if they were running backs and he was the defensive line. A few punches from MCI fixed that issue real quick.

Old
05-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
McIlrath is a fairly unique talent in that he's big, tough and skates well. I know I said repeatedly he should improve his skating, but that doesn't detract from the fact that he has very good speed and it is only his short step skating that needs work. Short step skating is fixable, whereas speed isn't something you can create.

I see no reason why he can't be another Beukeboom, potentially a faster, tougher version of Beuk.

In Hartford, you could actually see fewer runs into the goalies after he joined the team mid-season. Everyone and his mother was just charging at Talbot, as if they were running backs and he was the defensive line. A few punches from MCI fixed that issue real quick.
NO reason? Come on, how is that any better than saying 'he will never be like Beuk' like some here have said ?

What he does is unique, but not to the AHL, that's why he will be valuable, very few of these guys can do that on the regular at the highest level. One season of AHL hockey is in the books. He didn't do anything to hurt his stock, in fact it might have gone up a bit. But as many have said before, players like this take time, I've pointed out many who play his game before him took time before they were brought in to play decent minutes. Everyones fave Beuk was 23 before he gained a worthy role on a very good Oiler team. DM just turned 21. Beuk was in Nova Scotia when he turned 21.

Kid has time, the fans don't. Keep growing the monster at the farm level, wait for the moment he knows he's ready. When just keeping up isn't good enough, when he can keep up and play the game he's known for. Then you have to pray for good health, this is no perimeter Quebec league winger

Old
05-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Fowler is a train wreck in his own zone and he has lost all of his confidence because of it.

Bennett is nothing special. He is riding the coat tails of Crosby and Malkin.

Tinordi looks like a decent pick. Not the most mobile kid.

Coyle looks like a steal.

Gormley has proven what exactly?

I love Etem, but I would have been VERY pissed had the Rangers taken him at 10 in his draft year. He was the last pick in that 1st round....

I am very high on McIlrath, as many people know. His skill set is SO hard to find nowadays and while he may not put up a ton of points, he will effect games and playoff series in different ways. He exemplifies exactly what I want this team to become moving forward and I think he does for Gorton as well. Hard-nosed, take no prisoners, we will beat you on the scoreboard and beat you up while doing it.

The players you mentioned above do not bring that and before you say they could have gotten that later in the draft the odds of finding it are not very high.
In all honesty? The 2010 draft looks a bit underwhelming 3 years after. I am relatively surprised to see that.

Old
05-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

I won't lie, though. I really wish Mac was a forward and not a defenseman. That skill set on a forward would be to die for. We seriously need a mean mother****er of a powerforward prospect like no other.

Old
05-28-2013, 03:38 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
In all honesty? The 2010 draft looks a bit underwhelming 3 years after. I am relatively surprised to see that.
Yeah, I am a bit surprised as well. Johansen has underwhelmed. Burmistrov. Gudbranson.

Quote:
I won't lie, though. I really wish Mac was a forward and not a defenseman. That skill set on a forward would be to die for. We seriously need a mean mother****er of a powerforward prospect like no other.
They need one of both, IMO. Somewhere they need to find at least a 3rd line forward who can play that style consistently.

Old
05-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Yeah, I am a bit surprised as well. Johansen has underwhelmed. Burmistrov. Gudbranson.

They need one of both, IMO. Somewhere they need to find at least a 3rd line forward who can play that style consistently.
Just goes to show you that deep drafts ain't necessarily all that deep in hindsight.

Agreed on the second point. That should be our #1 target this draft.

Old
05-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Could draft Myles Bell and keep him as a forward, though I think he can still transition back to the blue line. Kid has some crazy in him and loves to hit.

Alternatively you could trade for Kyle Beach and hope a change of scenery puts him back on track.

Old
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

Our prospects from that year don't look bad: MCI, Thomas, Yogan and Fast. I'll take that at this point.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Just goes to show you that deep drafts ain't necessarily all that deep in hindsight.

Yep, I am surprised with Gorton as a key contributer to the scouting staff and General Manager that the Rangers haven't tried to go that route more. Yogan, Kreider, Miller are all big bodies. I am looking for some mean, someone who other teams hate to play against.

Dorsett was a start at the NHL level.

Old
05-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Could draft Myles Bell and keep him as a forward, though I think he can still transition back to the blue line. Kid has some crazy in him and loves to hit.

Alternatively you could trade for Kyle Beach and hope a change of scenery puts him back on track.
I do hope we pick Bell up in the draft. Late round pick, though.

Old
05-28-2013, 10:21 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I do hope we pick Bell up in the draft. Late round pick, though.
What's late? I think someone takes a flier on him as early as the third. The talent is undeniable. People will be willing to look past the baggage, I think. I'd take him in the third.

It's just pain.
Old
05-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Well we have like 27 3rd round picks. So sure. I wouldn't be too opposed.

Old
05-28-2013, 10:51 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

My scout friend is very high on McIlrath. Says he is not far away.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:07 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Yeah. Never liked the pick (wanted Taresenko) but agree that patience is a virtue here...

Old
05-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Pizza

Where in my post did I say that McIlrath was taking too long to develop? I'm not sure what people are reading.

He's right about where he needs to be after one injury shortened year. I've grown to love this pick. Especially right after a series like the one we just had.

No one respects the Rangers as a physical team. Their back line is competent. Sure, they finish their checks and initiate quite a few. They can shut down goal scorers. But the Rangers intimidate no one. They can not win series long physical battles of attrition over teams like Boston, Pittsburgh or L.A.. We've seen this now for two play off runs in consecutive years. I'm amazed this is not focused on more often. The Rangers are not soft but they can not beat you in the alley. Come play off time you had better be able to with stand that as well as dish it out.

McIlrath is the beginning of an answer to this ongoing problem.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:41 AM
Ola

Quote:
The AHL is a good league, and McI is doing fine there for sure.

The question with McI is down the line potential. McI is playing in a defensive role in HFD. Preferably you would want him to say get into the role in HFD that Sauer had in NY, ie a D that is comfortably involved in all areas of the game, while of course not being a PMD. McI in HFD now is more Beuke like.

He could use time to take that step...

Old
05-29-2013, 07:52 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Where in my post did I say that McIlrath was taking too long to develop? I'm not sure what people are reading.

He's right about where he needs to be after one injury shortened year. I've grown to love this pick. Especially right after a series like the one we just had.

No one respects the Rangers as a physical team. Their back line is competent. Sure, they finish their checks and initiate quite a few. They can shut down goal scorers. But the Rangers intimidate no one. They can not win series long physical battles of attrition over teams like Boston, Pittsburgh or L.A.. We've seen this now for two play off runs in consecutive years. I'm amazed this is not focused on more often. The Rangers are not soft but they can not beat you in the alley. Come play off time you had better be able to with stand that as well as dish it out.

I agree with you. Hated the pick at the time and for a long whole afterwards. But the type of play we all hope Mac can bring matters in the playoffs.

Look at how well Matt Greene is playing for LA as another example.

05-29-2013, 08:29 AM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I agree with you. Hated the pick at the time and for a long whole afterwards. But the type of play we all hope Mac can bring matters in the playoffs.

Look at how well Matt Greene is playing for LA as another example.
Was just about to post about him. He is completely a beast for the Kings and would definitely try a get him in someway.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
You been saying this for months now

Quote:

It's not even 3 years since that draft, relax, just goes to show how awful youe evalutions can be, you think 3 years is the perfect time to measure a drafts worth. You need to stick to the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Our prospects from that year don't look bad: MCI, Thomas, Yogan and Fast. I'll take that at this point.
No, Jon just evaluated that draft as not deep, so which is it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
What's late? I think someone takes a flier on him as early as the third. The talent is undeniable. People will be willing to look past the baggage, I think. I'd take him in the third.
I read the other boards when it comes to the draft, every fan seems to think their team will get him in the late 2nd or early 3rd.

Quote:
No one respects the Rangers as a physical team.

The Boston Bruin players I saw interviewed on TV specifically mentioned the Rangers and their physical game, playing similar to theirs. Your exaggerating a bit.

Why has it taken years and one prospect to 'begin' to answer this 'problem' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
Was just about to post about him. He is completely a beast for the Kings and would definitely try a get him in someway.
Years and years ago I proposed trading for him when he was younger and healthier. Now you'd just be jumping on the passing train like we do with so many vets over the years.

Closed Thread