HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to get cards autographed?

Old
05-28-2013, 04:10 PM
NateTheGr8

vCash: 291
How to get cards autographed?

Hey, i recently started collecting hockey cards and I need to get a few autographed... or try to. I dont live near ANY NHL team so going to the rink isn't an option. I know people might say to wait until I go watch a game but that probably wont be soon.

Now, I do live close to an AHL team. So how would i go about getting autographs from them and when other teams come in?

Also. I have alot of older hockey cards... ALOT of old hockey cards almost 6000. How can I get these signed by older players. I have Sakics, Stevens, Bure, Gretzky, Orr, Bourque, Roy, Neidermayer, Hull... Just to name a few.

Please help a young collector...

NateTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 500
Move to another forum. Good luck getting autographs from Bure/Gretzky/Orr/Bourque/Roy etc. Most stars from the 80s or 90s or 00s don't really sign unless you're lucky to get them in person somewhere or willing to pay a lot online for it or at a public/private signing. Roy/Orr in particular are very very expensive.

I started getting autographs recently. What you do is mail the card to the player (or mail two cards but don't get greedy and mail 4+). It's usually to their home address or their business or c/o the team if it's a current player or the alumni organization or in a couple cases (Pilote, Ellis, and Larionov), c/o the Hockey Hall of Fame. Inside the envelope, you include a sincere letter requesting the card to be autographed and maybe a few comments or questions you have about the player though they may not have time to read or answer it. You mail it in a standard sized envelope (around 4 x 8.5" I think). Inside the envelope, you include a smaller 3.5 x 6.5" envelope which is stamped and contains your return address so teh player can sign the card, put it in the envelope, and mail it back to you. This guy's blog should answer most other questions you have:
http://www.salshockeyautographs.com/...g-started.html

The chances of an Original Six or 70s player signing your card are a lot higher than a modern player signing it. The chances of a player currently playing signing your card depending on the team are also often higher than getting a high profile retired player from the 90s or 00s to sign it (eg: Lidstrom, Sundin, Gilmour, etc don't sign through the mail). There are some however who are pretty great about it and will sign like John Leclair. You have to know if the player will sign or not in advance, I recommend using a forum called hockey autographs proboards to find out (you have to register but it's free). Junior players are also more likely to sign. Keep in mind that postage between Canada and the US is more expensive now so if you live in Canada then just send to players living or playing in Canada.

What I prefer to do instead of just mailing the card is to create my own custom card for the player to sign and sometimes I'll include another card for him to sign. If he's a player who had no card showing his career stats made for him after retiring then I'll add an extra copy of it for him to keep or pass on to his family. Here are most of my customs I was fortunate to get signed and returned, most of them have a vintage look (some of these cards are not customs but included in the same photo):

Johnny Bower customs

Red Sullivan and Wally Stanowski customs

Dean Prentice custom plus card

Andy Bathgate custom plus card

Henri Richard custom and a card plus an extra photo he added

Bill Hay

Gary Leeman

Dickie Moore

Red Kelly custom and card

Bert Olmstead custom and card

Leo Boivin

Larry Hillman

Jim Morrison

Norm Ullman custom and card

Dick Duff custom, card, and two extra photos he added:

Charlie Hodge custom and card he added:

Lou Fontinato

Doug Barkley custom and extra card he added on the left

Fleming MacKell custom

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 04:43 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

I use this website mostly: http://www.sportscollectors.net/Default.aspx

You can search the hockey recent signatures through mail for free (the last 14 days) and usually has the address. You learn pretty quick that some players are great signers (Selanne, Hull/Hull, Lindsay, etc), some will always send you a signed photo of their own (Roy, Iginla on the Flames, Eurizone, etc.) and many, many players won't sign in the mail (Pretty much any big name - Crosby, Lemieux, Gretz, Orr, Howe, etc.). Good luck.

dr robbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 05:14 PM
NateTheGr8

Current NHL/AHL/Junior players would it be best to send to their teams address?

Old
05-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
I use this website mostly: http://www.sportscollectors.net/Default.aspx

You can search the hockey recent signatures through mail for free (the last 14 days) and usually has the address. You learn pretty quick that some players are great signers (Selanne, Hull/Hull, Lindsay, etc), some will always send you a signed photo of their own (Roy, Iginla on the Flames, Eurizone, etc.) and many, many players won't sign in the mail (Pretty much any big name - Crosby, Lemieux, Gretz, Orr, Howe, etc.). Good luck.
Selanne is ghost signed I believe. Some guys charge like Dionne, Gilbert, Henderson, and Bobby Clark.

Don't send to current players at the arena during the summer.

Old
05-28-2013, 05:48 PM
NateTheGr8

Some players home addresses are harder to find than others. What would you suggest to do during the summer?

Old
05-28-2013, 08:28 PM
robmneilson

Back in the 90's I would mail cards to the team and got alot of autographs from that method (sometimes it would take a couple of months) but I got a Hull, Bure, Roy, Fleury, and Turgeon autographs. I'd imagine it might be even more successful now as teams are probably getting less letters via post.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 09:03 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Selanne is ghost signed I believe. Some guys charge like Dionne, Gilbert, Henderson, and Bobby Clark.

Don't send to current players at the arena during the summer.
Maybe from some incorrect address. I know for certain that I've got at least 4 signed cards, 2 8x10s, and a puck from his cota mesa(sp?) address and that they are all legit.

Bobby Clark doesn't charge either if you send it through the Flyer's team. Though, he likes to sign things upside down or on the back of cards

Also, as mentioned earlier, don't send requests to team addresses over the summer. Many of these will just be tossed and you're very unlikely to get a response. It's better to hit up retired players or home addresses over the summer.

dr robbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
Bobby Clark doesn't charge either if you send it through the Flyer's team. Though, he likes to sign things upside down or on the back of cards
No Clarke does charge now, he just started. You'll get a note back saying he's now charging $25 per auto and you have to mail it to "Legends Sports Marketing". They're basically a group which does TTM for a few players and charge for it. Clarke says that the money will go to a charity of his choice but probably not all $25 of it because that company probably gets a commission for sorting through them. This company also does Bernie Parent autographs.

There's some dbag guy named Chris Potter who turned a lot of good TTM signing players into ones who will only sign for $. Guess he convinced them to do it for cash because a few idiots sell the autos on eBay.

It's actually quite an expensive business for a signature. These stores now charge a lot for a player, usually a minimum of $15 for an in-store signing. I've seen prices like $80 per autograph for a guy like Paul Henderson who was good but not that good. He also charges through the mail but it's a lot less than what he charges for an in-person signing.